• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks bro joe for the pics.....looks saep e-lee......especially this.
The gf says this same same laksa but i beg to differ......she is big fan of sg laksa.......must eat every other day when in sg.

khanom-jeen.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Now having fish ball noodle with my manager

I'm havine bee-tai-bak in Thai we call this Giam-Yee

null-994.jpg

My manager is having Yen-Tao-Foo Sen-Yai (yen tao foo kway teow) see the reddish soup

null-931.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to apartment for a short nap. Everything is good about the hospital except the cashier. Slow because most patients are foreigners (Russies and PRC).

20130107_115136.jpg

Here's a menu of a very famous Kanom Jeem shop here. There are many different types of gravy. There are also free veges to go along with kanom jeem.
20121219_100920.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks bro joe for the pics.....looks saep e-lee......especially this.
The gf says this same same laksa but i beg to differ......she is big fan of sg laksa.......must eat every other day when in sg.

knn "saep e-lee", now I know liao

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
the dried chilli in that bowl of noodles as reflected in your Post #8319
and where another person quoted you in Post #8321.

Ok in Singapore we call this in hokkien "hiam-jio-kwa" "辣椒干”. The way we use is soak it in water then blend it with garlic or other garnishing then use the paste for other stuff.

Thais use this the same way too. However they also deep fry this already dried chilli into a crisp like what you saw above. Its actually pretty delicious, crunchy and fragrant like a snack but could be spicy. Can eat with many dishes.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok in Singapore we call this in hokkien "hiam-jio-kwa" "辣椒干”. The way we use is soak it in water then blend it with garlic or other garnishing then use the paste for other stuff.

Thais use this the same way too. However they also deep fry this already dried chilli into a crisp like what you saw above. Its actually pretty delicious, crunchy and fragrant like a snack but could be spicy. Can eat with many dishes.

Thank you for the explanation.

I suppose a person's tolerance for chilli is dependent on a regular diet of increasing "hotness" or "spicy-ness", because in the old days when I was in Singapore, I could and like to eat hot chilli and curry dishes. However, not having curry and hot chilli often, nowadays, my tolerance is very low. In addition, I find that the chef and restaurants in Toronto add sugar to Thai curry. I like the "old fashioned curry" which has a layer of "chilli oil" (from using fresh chilli and dried chilli) floating on top.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you for the explanation.

I suppose a person's tolerance for chilli is dependent on a regular diet of increasing "hotness" or "spicy-ness", because in the old days when I was in Singapore, I could and like to eat hot chilli and curry dishes. However, not having curry and hot chilli often, nowadays, my tolerance is very low. In addition, I find that the chef and restaurants in Toronto add sugar to Thai curry. I like the "old fashioned curry" which has a layer of "chilli oil" (from using fresh chilli and dried chilli) floating on top.

So living in Thailand surely made me a "Hot Joe" wahahahahahahaha

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Done. Thanks.

Somehow, I prefer your green frog avatar because it appears more lively.
Perhaps, you should consider a lively (and may be sexy) hot red frog? or may be turn the previous green frog into a red frog?

Last edited:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mae Sai in the Chiang Rai province is about 60+ km to the north of Chiang Rai and is a border town. Tachilek on the other side is in Myanmar and the border crossing opens sun-up to sun-down.
Here are some directions on how to get to Mae Sai.

Fly into Chiang Rai (CEI) airport. You have a choice of Nok, AirAsia or Orient from DMK and TG from BKK. I like Nok - you get free food/luggage.

Once at CEI, you have a couple of options to get to Mae Sai. You can take a taxi to Mae Sai direct for 800B or you can taxi it to the Chiang Rai old bus terminal (kun song kow) for 200B. The old bus terminal is 15 minutes away in the middle of Chiang Rai's night market. The one other option is to get to the main road outside the airport and flag down a bus. The bus/or rot tu (van) will have a sign that shows green (wang-free) or red (tem-full). I wouldn't really advise this - buses may be full.

At the kun song kow, you either take a rot me (normal non-express bus) or a rot tu to Mae Sai. The journey is 1 hour.

Rot Me

Rot Tu

(to be continued)

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Roti, interesting 1st part CEI to Maesai and across to Myanmar. CEI has aplenty Yunnan chinese descent?

Nok Air's gratis luggage is good, even if makan's a bun. Bkk Airways is great, but only stops at CNX. Just post xmas, even had special cake with regular light meal onboard Bkk/CNX. Free lounge with snacks + kopi next to gate is a boon (even a coffee/snacks stand at smaller airports like LPT). Hear they own airport at Sukhothai

Last edited:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like CNX, at CEI taxi is fixed-rate. You pay at a counter inside the airport and driver will take you to car parked outside. Chiang Rai just introduced taximeters with a 50B flag-down but they are still few and far between. However it's good to have the taxi call number 053-773-477

Also just like CNX, to go to (not from) the airport, you can take a variety of options, not only taxis: songthaew, tuk tuk, motosai

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rot Me

It's slower but cheaper to take the Rot Me to Mae Sai. This bus is non-aircon, instead there's a fan (phatlawm) from the ceiling. Expect your fellow passengers to bring all manners of things from live chickens, large bags of rice etc. This bus is slow because it stops and picks up anywhere on the Phaholyotin Road to Mae Sai. But I think it's not more interesting one I'd take - just for old time's sake, a trip down mrmory-lane, and for the people-watching opportunities. Fare is in the low 30s - depends where you want to go.

See the fans

Bags are stored in the first class section

The way to busses work is they wait from them to fill up (tem) and then they go. There's also a schedule that nobody really sticks with. When the bus driver thinks it's full, he'll leave. Some seats appear empty but are held in reserved for passengers who called and are awaiting at some ban nok en route so don't lile down thinking it's you're lucky day you've gotten 2 free seats abreast.

The driver also places a placard on the windshield to denote if bus is full or has space. Green card says "wang". Red card says "Tem". So the flaggers will know what they're chances are.

I like this bus. I would take it if I were alone. Slower but more atmospheric. The full experience.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Rotikosong, I have only one word for you -

RESPECT!

E6x4B6B.jpg

Last edited: