• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This morning very early went market to but stuff to cook Thai beef noodles. Started cooking at 9.30am finished at 1pm. This is the result

null-1676.jpg

Bee Hoon Beef Noodle

null-1611.jpg

Sen Lek Beef Noodles

In Thailand people use the word "kway teow" as in like we use the word "mee". So in Singapore we say go jiak-mee (eat noodles) in Thailand we say gin-kway-teow (gin = eat). So the word "kway teow" in Thailand is not our broad noodle kway-teow or horfan.

So how do they identify different types of noodles? The use the word "sen" lets see

1. sen mee = our bee hoon
2. sen-yai = our kuay teow (yai = big)
3. sen-lek = Singapore does not have this, its like tang-hoon but flat and slightly broad (see above 2nd photo)
4. sen-mama = instant noodles
5. sen-bak-mee = it could be our yiu-mee or mee-pok or sek-mee anything yellow they call bak-mee
6. hoon-sen = our tang-hoon
7. sen kway-chap = this is for our kway-chap but in Thailand it is not flat but rolled

Sek-Lek seem to be the most popular noodle for the Thais everyone love it. Problem with this noodle is its very sticky and tend to lump together so takeaway is not suitable unless with oil.
add one more.
for sen ba mee, if mee pok, its call sen baa mee band.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Errrrrrr Nairobi? Africa? Hmmmmm never thought of it. The first impression the word Africa come to my mind is warlords and civil war. Although Nairobi is the capital of Kenya and Kenya seems to be a pretty stable country in terms of politics I wonder if it can last. I think for business Africa is another good place to be in especially those developing ones like Kenya, I'm sire can sell lots of screws there. I also think those who got links with China garment factories can make a lot of money too when I saw countless Africans in Guangzhou and Hong Kong buying clothes and other garment stuff.

Bro how many africans you see in HK now?

Kenya isn't a good place to be in even though it's probably better than somalia and ethophia. East africans are taller and thinner than the western ones. South africa is still the best african country to be in though i believe.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro how many africans you see in HK now?

Kenya isn't a good place to be in even though it's probably better than somalia and ethophia. East africans are taller and thinner than the western ones. South africa is still the best african country to be in though i believe.

Dark skin people one see in HK used to be mostly Indians. I have to say almost half are Africans now.

Also noticed many Nepalese working on HK's service industry life waiters and sales. Also see many roadside peddlers. Have to look hard cos many Nepalese look like Chinese.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So now, let me list down the different types of noodles available here -

Fish noodle = kway tiao pla
Duck noodles = kway tiao ped
Chicken noodle as = kway tiao gai
Beef noodles = kway tiao nua
Char Siew Noodles = bak mee moo daeng (most of the time use the yiu mee for this so straight away call it bak mee. Moo=pork ; daeng=red)
Wonton noodles = bak mee giao (giao as in our Chinese word 饺)
Tomyam noodles = kway tiao tomyam (usually with fishballs and fiahcakes)

One of Thai's favourite noodle will be Yen Dao Foo, yes it sound like Yong Dao Hoo but its far from it, soup is red and smells of red fermented bean curd 腐乳 for me it look wierd and taste wierd.

Here are two photos I picked up from google of yen tao foo

null-1151.jpg

null-254.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So now, let me list down the different types of noodles available here -

Fish noodle = kway tiao pla
Duck noodles = kway tiao ped
Chicken noodle as = kway tiao gai
Beef noodles = kway tiao nua
Char Siew Noodles = bak mee moo daeng (most of the time use the yiu mee for this so straight away call it bak mee. Moo=pork ; daeng=red)
Wonton noodles = bak mee giao (giao as in our Chinese word 饺)
Tomyam noodles = kway tiao tomyam (usually with fishballs and fiahcakes)

One of Thai's favourite noodle will be Yen Dao Foo, yes it sound like Yong Dao Hoo but its far from it, soup is red and smells of red fermented bean curd 腐乳 for me it look wierd and taste wierd.

Here are two photos I picked up from google of yen tao foo

null-1151.jpg

null-254.jpg
hehehe. baa mee gai tun also quite popular. means braised chicken in soya sauce.

the other one is kanom jeem. white noodle, something like laksa rough bee hoon but smaller.

see if i drop by at my favorite kanom jeem shop tomorrow. will post pics. :smile:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. more on kuay tiow.

most roadside stall got 2 soup version. choice of nam sai (clear soup) or tomyam. the other possibility is nam tok(waterfall)thick dark soap version. usually pork and beef noodle soup goes with nam tok but can also order nam sai version. hehehe , personally i like clear soup when not mao. when mao, i go with nam tok with lots of pepper and dry chili. aroi.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. i got eat pork ball noodle ball now. joetys, wah lan eh such post make me hungry liaoZ. will go by bike.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. me not scared liaoz. got injection liaoz. judt that another 4 more to go. sianz.

anyway, already finish my kuay tiow sen me khao nam tok moo.

20130106_223323.jpg

going back zzz liaoz. today tyre puncture liaoz.

wah lao! this one look like the mee suah at bedok north blk511

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
For dry and semi-dry noodles that are similar to our food, there's also:
1) pad see ewe - like fried kway teow
2) kway teow ratna - like hor fun

For nam tok noodles, it's common to eat this with fried pork rinds - there'll often be plastic bags of these on the table. Don't forget to add the 4 condiments to taste - khem (salty -fish sauce), priao (sour-vinegar), wan (sweet-sugar) and phet (spicy hot - dried chilly flakes). Have a glass of orliang (iced coffee) with this.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For dry and semi-dry noodles that are similar to our food, there's also:
1) pad see ewe - like fried kway teow
2) kway teow ratna - like hor fun

For nam tok noodles, it's common to eat this with fried pork rinds - there'll often be plastic bags of these on the table. Don't forget to add the 4 condiments to taste - khem (salty -fish sauce), priao (sour-vinegar), wan (sweet-sugar) and phet (spicy hot - dried chilly flakes). Have a glass of orliang (iced coffee) with this.

taste will be strong and be superb for some, health wise is not that good.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
add one more.
for sen ba mee, if mee pok, its call sen baa mee band.
Where does Khanom Jeen figure in all the noodles talk? I find our laksa noodles is most similar to this.

Add on....besides sen kway chap having a direct translation.......also others with adopted names like pasta, ramen, udon, pho, sen mee sua, kuayteow kontung (cantonese noddles).

kuayteow without the kuayteow is gao lao....(surprisingly means the same thing in laotian, khmer and vietnamese).

sen yai can also refers to a someone who is a big fuck......
when you say mai kin sen (gan).....it dun mean you dun eat kuayteow......its means you dun get along with someone.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Where does Khanom Jeen figure in all the noodles talk? I find our laksa noodles is most similar to this.

Add on....besides sen kway chap having a direct translation.......also others with adopted names like pasta, ramen, udon, pho, sen mee sua, kuayteow kontung (cantonese noddles).

kuayteow without the kuayteow is gao lao....(surprisingly means the same thing in laotian, khmer and vietnamese).

sen yai can also refers to a someone who is a big fuck......
when you say mai kin sen (gan).....it dun mean you dun eat kuayteow......its means you dun get along with someone.

Pii Narong, thanks very much for your in-depth information especially on slangs like sen-yai and mai-kin-sen, honestly this is also new to me.

Khanom Jeen indeed looks very much like our laksa noodles but it stops there. Its much softer (less body) and "spoil" easily what we call chow-sng (臭酸) however even if it chow-sng Thais still eat it and I've tried a few times I found it make the taste with curry very nice. This is how it looks

Khanom_Chin_-_Thai_rice_noodles.jpg

Khanom Jeen is mostly eaten with Thai curry that we call gaeng, gaeng-khiaw-wan (literally curry-green-sweet) is probably the favourite with Khanom Jeen like this

gaeng-khiaw-waan-p-mala.jpg

Some other ways of eating khanom jeen are here, still its eaten with curries

khanom_jeen_bp.jpg

khanom-jeen.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. very detail on all noodles. another not so common sen is mee suah, pronounce exactly the same as teochew. now at hospital waiting for 2nd injection.

on sen yai. mean big pai kia. sen lek means small pai kia. these are the street lingo you won't get to learn in formal courses.