• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry I cannot recall Teh Mian Huat Brewery
Hehehe. I also don't know around or not.

Yeah. many old school dishes missing liaoz. I remember eating dark soup Bak Kut Teh and Yeo Ji Mee Sua. Not sure if I can still find these food in SG. Even the prawn noodle soup also dark in color but now very hard to find. :(

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay, one Taiwan chio boo for all of you, especially JW5, if you're watching :smile:

3.jpg

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Long time ago chap-see-lao serves the best lor-ark-mee very old school style

This one really history....the father started operating the stall back in the 60's.
Brian Richmond used to live in one of those 4-storey blocks flanking the car-park where the stall was

OMG, you know Chap See Lao??? That means you also know Teh Mian Huat Brewery.

I know there used to be one soya sauce distillery adjacent to Thye Hong Biscuit but can't remember the name.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This one really history....the father started operating the stall back in the 60's.
Brian Richmond used to live in one of those 4-storey blocks flanking the car-park where the stall was

I know there used to be one soya sauce distillery adjacent to Thye Hong Biscuit but can't remember the name.
Hehehehe. I can remember the fragrance from Thye Hong. Think I am starting to recall more now. Was it a big red star? Think it was a paint factory?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

This store moved to Margaret Drive Food Centre on the outside row facing Golden City towards the end near the poly clinic. The stall is just beside the char-kway-teow stall. Now don't know where liao.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This store moved to Margaret Drive Food Centre on the outside row facing Golden City towards the end near the poly clinic. The stall is just beside the char-kway-teow stall. Now don't know where liao.
I think I know which one you are referring to.

OK, let me introduce you the one in Tekka market (was formerly from Tong Ji Market). This one if not aroi, I chop. Apparently, there was some internal dispute within the family, and a seperate stall was set up in Hong Lim Food Centre by family members. Been to the Hong Lim one during last visit in Jan 2012 and taste as good. :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think I know which one you are referring to.

OK, let me introduce you the one in Tekka market (was formerly from Tong Ji Market). This one if not aroi, I chop. Apparently, there was some internal dispute within the family, and a seperate stall was set up in Hong Lim Food Centre by family members. Been to the Hong Lim one during last visit in Jan 2012 and taste as good. :smile:

ok will try next time

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget the lion on top of the biscuit factory.

Ya..A big bronze lion with a flame torch, was a landmark at the junction of Alexandra Road and Tiong Bahru Road.
The new owner of that building should have preserved that grand lion statue

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ya..A big bronze lion with a flame torch, was a landmark at the junction of Alexandra Road and Tiong Bahru Road.
The new owner of that building should have preserved that grand lion statue

The mouth of lion became entrance to bird's home

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
big bronze lion with a flame torch, was a landmark at the junction of Alexandra Road and Tiong Bahru Road. The new owner of that building should have preserved that grand lion statue
Iconic then, even new (and younger) taxi drivers now dunno where this former pia long. Believe this was where Hock Lee bus riots happened. Now into modern office cum showroom.
rotikosong said:
I've taken rong rueng from ekamai before
From Swampy (farang nick), best is Bell. Easy ride just over 1 hr to Patts, with mini van transfer to many hotels. As you are possibly neighbours with Cbfc ...sure can chin wag over his Leos. And can hold your hands for your cherry WS tour +555. Enjoy
chonburifc said:
gm toilet really cmi. Everytime almost puke when go toilet. The bau really steam cognac
Narong Wongwan said:
..lucky to emerge alive from the basement.....that place is hotbed for fights.....if not will be harassment from constant 'checking'.....most fucked up area for the entire complex.
Toilets re-done now, so no need to hold your nose. Sorry dunno LDs pricing (somethings best not to know:confused:). NW, thanks for heads up, another crony also said the same thing few years back. Saw some dubious characters. Will be awhile before my shadows darken basement chambers again

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehehe. I can remember the fragrance from Thye Hong. Think I am starting to recall more now. Was it a big red star? Think it was a paint factory?
I thot the Red Star was Lee Hin Steel at the next traffic junction at the other end of Leng Kee Road?
Another famous smell was the Van Houten chocolate factory in Tanglin Halt.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I thot the Red Star was Lee Hin Steel at the next traffic junction at the other end of Leng Kee Road?
Another famous smell was the Van Houten chocolate factory in Tanglin Halt.

I think its aluminium factory la, junction of Leng Kee/Alexandra/Commonwealth Avenue

Another reason for you to come back sinkieland often....

Delicious Duck Noodles
Tanglin Halt Market
Commonwealth Drive
Stall No. 23
97829210 Mdm Ngern
4am to 2pm closed Fridays

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2011/04/delicious-duck-noodles-deliciousness.html

This one at my mother's flat downstairs only eat every time I go home. Had it 2 Fridays ago. Ya its very good, traditional style, I like it.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another reason for you to come back sinkieland often....

Delicious Duck Noodles
Tanglin Halt Market
Commonwealth Drive
Stall No. 23
97829210 Mdm Ngern
4am to 2pm closed Fridays

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2011/04/delicious-duck-noodles-deliciousness.html
NW, that's the one but getting very expensive. I still manage to eat a small bowl for sgd 2 about 4-5 years ago. The younger is selling laksa a few stalls away, think call wei yi or something.

Both use to be at the old market negore removation, place look a little run down.