• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the Spanish league as leaders Atletico and Barcelona finally meet

PAUL LOGOTHETIS / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
JANUARY 9, 2014 04:42 AM

as107-17-2014-234310-high-jpg.jpg

Atletico de Madrid's coach Diego Simeone from Argentina calls to their players during their la Copa del Rey match against Valencia at the Mestalla stadium in Valencia, Spain, Tuesday Jan. 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Alberto Saiz)

MADRID - Atletico Madrid's impressive Spanish league campaign finally gets the ultimate test as it comes up against co-leader Barcelona, which has Lionel Messi back from injury.

Messi marked his return from a two-month layoff with a pair of goals in Barcelona's 4-0 Copa del Rey victory over Getafe on Wednesday. Atletico, meanwhile, drew 1-1 at Valencia in the midweek domestic cup competition that has been a distraction with Saturday's league clash looming.

Barcelona and Atletico both have 49 points from 18 games, while Real Madrid is third with 44 points.

Here are five things to know about the Spanish league this weekend:

___

CHAMPIONSHIP PEDIGREE:

Atletico would show once and for all that it's a legitimate title contender if it emerges from Saturday's match at the Vicente Calderon Stadium alone in first, a spot the team has not occupied at this point of the season since it last won the championship in 1996.

"Winning on Saturday will be insignificant if we don't meet our objectives over the season," Atletico midfielder Koke said. "We've got the entire second half of the season to go even though we all realize that up until now this is the most important game of the season."

Atletico defender Juanfran Torres is available after having a booking revoked, avoiding a ban.

___

MESSI'S BACK

Atletico will have to prepare for Messi, who seems to be back to his normal self after a torn left hamstring, scoring one of his goals from a typical run through the opponent's defence.

"What I wanted was to get back on the field and to play. I was very motivated to return," Messi said. "It was hard keeping my spirits up over these months but determination was always there."

Neymar was absent because of a stomach bug but the Brazil striker should return against Atletico. Goalkeeper Victor Valdes could also be back.

"The team showed how good it was and that nobody is untouchable," Messi said. "This is a squad that responds to its demands."

___

ARGENTINE COACHING

Both Atletico and Barcelona owe their league runs in part to Argentine coaching.

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino replaced Tito Vilanova for this season, while Atletico counterpart Diego Simeone has nurtured his team since taking charge in December 2011.

Martino lauded Simeone's work, which has included Europa League and Copa del Rey triumphs. Atletico is not only a Spanish league contender but a Champions League favourite after a near unbeaten group stage.

"What Diego Simeone has done at Atletico Madrid is incredible," Martino said. "The squad has grown stronger since his arrival, it's not the same one that (Simeone) took on when he got there."

___

MADRID CAPITALIZES

With all the attention on Atletico-Barcelona this weekend, Real Madrid is hopeful of making up ground.

Madrid, which is at Espanyol on Sunday, is unbeaten in 13 games ahead of Thursday's Copa del Rey match against Osasuna with its last loss coming against Barcelona in October.

"We're hopeful that this game will allow us to recover some points on the leader, but if we win on Sunday it won't be because Barcelona or Atletico didn't win," coach Carlo Ancelotti said.

Ancelotti said Madrid has no plans to tap the January transfer window to bolster its team, which has a healthy Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo available.

___

DI MARIA

Angel di Maria is available after Madrid opened and closed a disciplinary case against the talented Argentina forward over an awkward on-field gesture.

Di Maria quickly grabbed his crotch as he came off for Gareth Bale in last weekend's league victory over Celta Vigo, which led to accusations that he had directed a rude gesture toward Madrid's fans or Ancelotti.

Di Maria had the support of Ancelotti over the incident, which the player said was blown out of proportion.

"It was just a natural gesture that any man would make when he's running. It wasn't directed at the fans or the coach like is being said," Di Maria said in a video posted on Madrid's website. "The truth is that if I have upset people I'm sorry, but it's just as I have explained."

Madrid closed the case on Thursday.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abidal urges Valdes to move to Monaco: I have a room for him in my house

324704_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle19
Jan 12, 2014 8:17:00 PM

The France international, who swapped Camp Nou for the Stade Louis II last year, wants the out-of-contract goalkeeper to follow him to Monte Carlo

Eric Abidal has issued an open invitation to former Barcelona team-mate Victor Valdes to come and join him and Monaco this summer.

The Spain international is out of contract at the end of the season and has already stated that he will not be signing an extension.

Consequently, Abidal, who made the move from Camp Nou to the Stade Louis II last year, is hoping that Valdes follows him to Monte Carlo.

"If Valdes has the dream to come and play in Monaco, I will welcome him with open arms," the defender told Cadena SER.

"I have a room for him in my house and I will help him find a house near me!"

Abidal also insists that he hold no ill will towards Barcelona, even though he was keen to extend his stay in Catalunya.

"I'm very happy in Monaco," he enthused. "There are a lot of good people here, and I'm playing every game. I only ever wanted to play football.

"But I have no problems with [Barca president] Sandro Rosell or [sporting director] Andoni Zubizarreta. My contract expired and I fought to renew it, but it wasn't to be.

"But Barca have already told me that the door remains open for me to become director general of their football schools."

Abidal, who underwent a liver transplant in 2012, also revealed that his thoughts are currently with former Barcelona boss Tito Vilanova and his ongoing battle with cancer.

"I pray for him every day," the 34-year-old confessed. "He is a fighter and hopefully he'll come out of this.

"I have pills that I have to take for the rest of my life. Life is complicated but you have to enjoy it to the fullest."

Abidal also had his say on the battle for the Ballon d'Or, which he hopes will be awarded to France team-mate Franck Ribery over Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

"He's a very good friend and has had a great year," the centre-half stated. "It would be good for French football as nobody has won it since [Zinedine] Zidane [in 1998].

"But both Messi and Cristiano have incredible numbers that would also be worthy of the award."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carlo Ancelotti admits mistake in selling Ozil to Arsenal

Kyle Bonn Jan 12, 2014, 2:51 PM EST

ancelotti.jpg

Real Madrid have finally admitted their mistake after almost a four month holdout.

Manager Carlo Ancelotti admitted to Gulf News that the club may have erred in selling world-class playmaker Mesut Özil to the Gunners.

“I think we made a mistake when we gave him the possibility to leave the club,” said Ancelotti. “However, we have fantastic strikers and don’t need a back-up after Higuain’s departure.”

Since moving to the Emirates for a reported £41.5 million ($68.3 million), the 25-year-old German has been brilliant for Arsenal, scoring four goals and assisting eight more in the Number 10 position.

Without Ozil, Isco has gotten much of the playing time in the attacking midfield. And while the Spaniard has bagged six goals and four assists this season in La Liga play, few would claim the 21-year-old is on the same level as the man he replaced.

Luca Modric has occasionally advanced forward into the attacking midfield role, and 20-year-old Jese has found some time there as well.

The German has his new club in a position of control at the top of the Premier League table, and deep in the Champions League and FA Cup competitions. The club is searching for their first trophy since 2005.

Ozil told the Daily Star today that his move has gone just about as well as possible. “I feel comfortable here,” the German said. “You can see on the pitch when we play together that we have a very good understanding. The team is great and for me it has been very easy to settle – the German players have helped me to establish myself quicker than I perhaps would have done if they were not here.”

The midfielder said the fan support has been a big factor in his ability to settle in London. “We can show our thanks by playing successful and attractive football and getting good results,” he said. “The team deserve to win a trophy

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Emotional Ronaldo ends Messi run

By Brian Homewood
ZURICH Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18pm GMT

r

Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after being awarded the FIFA Ballon d'Or 2013 in Zurich January 13, 2014. REUTERS-Ruben Sprich

(Reuters) - Cristiano Ronaldo was overcome with emotion after being voted the world's best player for 2013 on Monday, ending his great rival Lionel Messi's dominance of the award.

Although he failed to win any major titles with Real Madrid last season, Ronaldo was rewarded for his immense goal-scoring prowess as he swept aside Messi, winner for the last four years, and Frenchman Franck Ribery.

"Thank you to everyone, my team mates, the national team and my family, to everyone here," the Portugal and Real Madrid forward said, choking with emotion after accepting the trophy.

"I can't speak," added Ronaldo, runner-up for three of the last four years, before breaking down.

Jupp Heynckes, now retired, was named coach of the year for the first time after leading Bayern Munich to an unprecedented Bundesliga, Cup and Champions League treble, a fitting end to a 48-year career as player and coach.

The Afghanistan Football Federation and fiery Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic were among other award winners.

Afghanistan was given the Fair Play award after staging its first home game for 10 years, a friendly against Pakistan.

Ibrahimovic won the Ferenc Puskas award for the best goal of the year, although his stunning overhead kick from near the touchline in a friendly against England was scored in 2012 and missed the deadline for last year's ceremony.

SURPRISINGLY MILD

The volatile Swede, who in November said that he did not need the Ballon d'Or to know he was the best, was surprisingly mild in his acceptance speech, limiting himself to thanking the audience and wishing good luck to the contenders.

The ceremony, hosted by former Netherlands international Ruud Gullit and Brazilian presenter Fernanda Lima, took nearly 90 minutes, interrupted by banal interludes featuring personalities from 2014 World Cup hosts Brazil.

Brazil forward Neymar, among those to be hauled on stage, was clearly embarrassed when asked to say who he would like his team to meet in the World Cup final.

"We don't care, we will meet anybody. There are so many other great teams there, as long as we are in the final I don't mind," he said timidly.

Voting was in the hands of the 209 national team coaches and captains, plus 173 selected journalists, and FIFA was at pains to point out that the process was transparent, especially after the original deadline was extended by two weeks due to a poor turnout.

FIFA spokesman Walter De Gregorio said the deadline extension, from November 15 to November 29, had not affected the outcome which was independently audited by accounting firm Price WaterhouseCoopers (PWC).

"The ranking of the final three at the end of November is exactly the same as the ranking in mid-November," De Gregorio told reporters. "The only difference is that we had more votes."

The poll for both player and coach of the year leaned heavily towards Europe.

Ivory Coast and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure was the only African player to make either of the original shortlists of 23 players and 10 coaches and there were no representatives from Asia or CONCACAF.

Brazil's Luiz Felipe Scolari was the only South American coach to be considered. Stephen Keshi, who won the African Nations Cup with Nigeria, and Safet Susic, who led Bosnia to their first World Cup, were among those to be overlooked. (Editing by Ed Osmond. [email protected]. Reuters Messaging: [email protected]. To sign up for our Global Sports Forum chatroom, click here)

(Reporting by Brian Homewood) nL3N0KN43Y

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Work to do for Ronaldo to become legend, says Pele

PARIS Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20am GMT

r

Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo is congratulated by Pele as FIFA President Sepp Blatter (R) looks on after being awarded the FIFA Ballon d'Or 2013 in Zurich January 13, 2014. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

(Reuters) - FIFA Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo must continue to maintain his exceptional high standards in order to be classed among the sport's legends, according to Brazil great Pele who compared the Portuguese to Eusebio.

Portugal and Real Madrid forward Ronaldo beat Argentine's Lionel Messi and France's Franck Ribery to claim the prestigious award for the second time on Monday.

"To me the last true great was (France playmaker Zinedine) Zidane. He stayed at the same very high level for at least 10 years," Pele, who was awarded a honorary Ballon d'Or, told France Football magazine on Tuesday.

Ronaldo is on the right path, though, and reminded the three-times World Cup winner of former Portugal striker Eusebio, the top scorer at the 1966 World Cup, who died earlier this month at the age of 71.

"Today Messi and Ronaldo are above the rest. Ronaldo reminds me a bit of Eusebio, he is well bred. He has the elegance and the creativity of the great players," Pele said.

Winning the World Cup used to have greater significance in the voting for the Ballon d'Or but the success of Ronaldo and Messi, who won the award from 2009-12, proved that was no longer true, according to the Brazilian.

"It is perhaps less important than it used to be when I was playing," Pele of the showpiece tournament that the duo will look to win for the first time later this year.

"I'm not saying it is not essential to win the World Cup but the Champions League now has the same considerable impact celebrity-wise."

(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Patrick Johnston)

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Real Madrid, Rayo Vallecano seal important wins

12 January 2014

410653header.jpg

An unconvincing Real Madrid moved to within three points of the top two in La Liga with a 1-0 win over Espanyol on Sunday.

After seeing title rivals Barcelona and Atletico Madrid draw 0-0 at the Vicente Calderon on Saturday, Real knew a victory would put them back in contention at the halfway stage of the season.

Real's performance, though, was far from their fluent best, but Carlo Ancelotti's men made it seven wins from their last eight league games thanks to Pepe's towering header early in the second half.

The Portugal international rose to meet Luka Modric's right-wing cross and headed past Kiko Casilla for his third goal of the season.

Rayo Vallecano's 1-0 victory over city rivals Getafe saw them move to within two points of safety at the bottom of the table, while extending the gap to Real Betis in last place.

Alberto Bueno grabbed the only goal of the game for Rayo, his sixth in the league this season, to help his side pick up a first league win since early November.

That result was bad news for Betis and things soon got worse as they fell to a 2-1 defeat to Osasuna, meaning new coach Juan Carlos Garrido is still waiting for his first win.

Osasuna took the lead early through midfielder Roberto Torres and, after Nono had been sent off for Betis, the visitors doubled their lead thanks to Jordi Figueras' 57th-minute penalty.

Both sides were down to 10 men on the hour when Andres Fernandez received a straight red. And although Jorge Molina pulled a goal back, Betis' winless streak in the league was extended to 12 games.

Levante ended a run of two consecutive defeats with a 1-0 win over Malaga, a result that sees Joaquin Caparros' side climb above their opponents and into tenth place.

David Barral's 19th-minute header from Andreas Ivanschitz's cross was enough for Levante to seal the three points, although Roque Santa Cruz and Sergio Sanchez both missed chances for Malaga in the latter stages.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: 100 points will win La Liga

12 January 2014

410630header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has challenged his Real Madrid side to reach 100 points if they want to lift the Liga title this season.

Madrid closed the gap on Barcelona and Atletico Madrid at the top of the table to three points with a 1-0 win over Espanyol on Sunday, a result that took them to 47 points at the halfway stage in the campaign after their rivals shared a goalless draw.

Italian coach Ancelotti saw Pepe head home his third goal of the season to take the three points, and he believes whichever team achieves a three-figure points tally will claim the top-flight crown.

"It's not normal but this is the Spanish League where there are three very strong teams," he said.

"We've said it before; 100 points is what it will take and we need to get them. It will not be easy but we have excitement and enthusiasm.

"It was an important moment because Atletico and Barcelona are doing well and there are not many chances to cut the gap. We have to be satisfied."

Madrid struggled to break down their opponents at Estadi Cornella-El Prat but did see Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema waste good chances to add to their tally.

Ancelotti, however, was impressed by his side's display and revealed he had persuaded Pepe to remain at the club during the close-season.

"I'm satisfied with the game as the team has balance, played good football and has not taken risks," he added. "We cut the points (to the top two) and that was the objective.

"Everything has gone well. We started the game slowly and suffered in the first 15 minutes but after that we had many opportunities. After the goal we controlled the game well.

"I think Pepe is having a very good season. At the beginning he was hesitant about staying but decided to after I told him he was important."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferdinand tried to lure me to United, says Ronaldo

14 January 2014

410933header.jpg

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed that Rio Ferdinand attempted to persuade him to rejoin Manchester United.

Portugal attacker Ronaldo won the 2013 FIFA Ballon d'Or on Monday, eclipsing challenges from Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery to be named the world's top footballer.

Ronaldo left Old Trafford to join Real in a then world-record move for a fee in the region of £80million in 2009 and has produced magnificent form, scoring 230 goals in 223 appearances since his switch to the Bernabeu.

United defender Ferdinand revealed last week how he pleaded with the 28-year-old to return to the Premier League club, and Ronaldo has now verified those claims.

"It was true that Rio spoke to me a lot," Ronaldo said.

"Rio is a great friend of mine, we played many years together at Manchester United and we were neighbours when I was there in Manchester.

"He's a fantastic guy and tried to change my mind. I did think about United. They are still in my heart. It's a club where I played for six years and I love that club. I have a lot of friends there and I wish them the best."

Ronaldo signed a new contract to keep him at Real until 2018 in September last year.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Calderon: Ronaldo will return to England

15 January 2014

411167header.jpg

Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo will return to England before he retires, according to the club's former president Ramon Calderon.

The Portugal international was crowned FIFA Ballon d'Or winner on Monday, having scored 69 goals for club and country in 2013.

The 28-year-old has already found the net 20 times in the La Liga this season and, despite agreeing a five-year deal in September, Calderon does not feel Ronaldo will remain at the Santiago Bernabeu for the remainder of his career.

Ronaldo's new deal came after links with a return to Manchester United in the close-season and Calderon believes his reportedly strained relationship with president Florentino Perez could see him move back to England.

"I do not think he will finish his career at Real," Calderon told The Sun.

"I feel that one day he will return to England. In Madrid, he is pleased with the city and the fans. But I think his relationship with Florentino Perez is not as good as it was with Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

"Ronaldo loves father figures. With Florentino, he does not have that rapport.

"The relationship is bad or actually non-existent. He stays at Real despite the chairman."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday January 16 2014

Liga duo go for Liverpool youngster

By Football Espana staff

shankly-gate490ai.jpg

Granada and Valencia will fight it out for Liverpool youngster Tiago Ilori, according to reports in the British Press.

The Liverpool Echo have revealed this morning that El Grana and Los Che are keen on taking the Portuguese defender on loan until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old, who signed for the Anfield outfit from Sporting Lisbon, has failed to make a first team appearance this term.

As such, Brendan Rodgers’ men will allow the centre-back to leave for more playing time, with the Liga pair said to be heavily interested.

It is claimed that Granada are already in talks with Ilori about a switch, but Valencia may come in with an 11th hour bid of their own before the end of the window.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday January 16 2014

'No decision' on Gundogan future

By Football Espana staff

gundogan490ai_1_4.jpg

Ilkay Gundogan will choose between Real Madrid and Manchester United as his next destination, reports suggest.

With his contract at Borussia Dortmund up in 2015, stories have emerged in recent months that the Bundesliga side will hope to cash in on the midfielder this summer, rather than lose him on a Bosman, a la Robert Lewandowski.

As such, Bild suggest that the Gerany international will pick between Los Blancos or the Premier League champions as his next destination.

The player himself though, has insisted that he has yet to make a firm decision on his future.

“I have not made a final decision yet. BVB are the first team I am talking to,” he told the paper.

“I will soon make a well-thought decision. But I am keeping my options open at this point.

“Borussia Dortmund have not set me an ultimatum. I am just trying to get healthy again and get back to my best form. That’s the main priority for BVB and for myself.”

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday January 16 2014

Xavi: I almost joined Bayern Munich

By Football Espana staff

xavi-messi490ai_3.jpg

Xavi Hernandez has revealed that he almost joined Bayern Munich in 2008, but Pep Guardiola persuaded him to stay at Barcelona.

After a stunning Euro 2008 where he was named Player of the Tournament, the midfielder has claimed that the Bundesliga giants came calling.

“That was pretty serious,” he told Mundo Deportivo. “There was even a meeting with the Coach and [FIFA agent] Branchini.

“Pep just grabbed me after that and told me not to go, that in his mind the team revolved around certain players, and I was one of them.

“He told me that I couldn’t leave the club.

“And he was right. It was another good decision, because my ambition is to retire at Barca.

“Now Pep is at Bayern – the twists and turns of football. It’s unbelievable.”

The World Cup-winner then commented on his future, remarking on a possible move to New York.

“No one has offered me anything. I know nothing about New York. [Thierry] Henry hasn’t spoken to me – I don’t even have his phone number.”

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Malaga 0 Valencia 0

17 January 2014

1100704-17457930-640-360.jpg

Struggling La Liga outfit Malaga stretched their winless run to three league games with a 0-0 draw against Valencia on Friday.

Valencia were looking for a second win in three league games under new coach Juan Antonio Pizzi, but could have fallen behind early in the game as Malaga twice went close in the early stages through Samu and Ignacio Camacho.

The visitors slowly grew into the game, though, and would have gone ahead just before the half-hour mark if not for a fine double save by Malaga goalkeeper Willy Caballero.

Caballero displayed fine reflexes to keep out a free-kick from midfielder Daniel Parejo before preventing Jonas from scoring with his effort on the rebound.

Parejo was denied eight minutes into the second half by another fine save from Caballero, who looked to have finally been beaten when Malaga defender Sergio Sanchez put through his own net on 70 minutes following a scramble in the area.

However, that goal was quickly ruled out for offside and Malaga almost claimed the spoils six minutes later, Diego Alves producing an excellent save to turn Pablo Perez's near-post header wide.

That proved to be the final clear chance of the game as both sides settled for a point that leaves Malaga, who have failed to score in each of their last three league games, five points above the relegation zone.

Meanwhile, Valencia are eighth points adrift of sixth-placed Real Sociedad and a place in the UEFA Europa League.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: Ozil quotes are unfounded

17 January 2014

411596header.jpg

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has rubbished reports in which he was quoted expressing regret regarding the sale of Mesut Ozil to Arsenal.

The Italian was quoted as calling the decision to allow Ozil to move to the Premier League in August as "a mistake" but he rejected those claims and insisted he had never given an interview.

Ancelotti was speaking ahead of Madrid's Liga trip to Real Betis and he expressed his desire to speak about the current squad and not a former player.

"I am not going to speak about a player who is no longer here," he said. "I've explained myself over and over again.

"I'm surprised a newspaper invented this story, there is no story there, and it is unfounded."

The 54-year-old was also quick to reject reports that Fabio Coentrao and Alvara Morata could leave the Santiago Bernabeu during the January transfer window.

Morata has been linked to Arsenal, as well as Serie A duo Juventus and Inter, while Coentrao is reportedly attracting interest from David Moyes at Manchester United.

"Morata hasn't asked to leave the club," he added. "I think he is happy here, nothing has changed over the last few days, we need Morata to be here.

"There are no first choice players, subs, reserves. It is a big squad.

"Marcelo is fresher (than Coentrao).

"Coentrao is just back after injury, he will rest on Saturday because we want to make he can be as match fit as possible."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar out for three weeks with ankle injury

17 January 2014

411560header.jpg

Barcelona have confirmed Brazil forward Neymar will miss three to four weeks of action due to an ankle injury.

The 21-year-old was hurt as he fell awkwardly when delivering a cross during the first half of Thursday's Copa del Rey second-leg tie at Getafe.

Neymar was clearly in pain and unable to put weight on his injured leg as he was helped from the field by medical staff.

Camp Nou officials confirmed afterwards that he had suffered a sprained the peroneal tendon in his right ankle.

The injury could keep him out of Barcelona's UEFA Champions League knockout clash with Manchester City - the first leg of which is at the Etihad Stadium on February 18.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Levante v Barcelona

17 January 2014

411620header.jpg

Barcelona will be without forward Neymar when Gerardo Martino's side continue their pursuit of a second successive La Liga title at Levante.

The Brazil international suffered sprained ankle tendons in a 2-0 Copa del Rey victory at Getafe on Thursday night and will be sidelined for three to four weeks.

Neymar's absence is a blow for the Spanish champions, but with Lionel Messi firing on all cylinders again Barca will be expected to complete a sixth consecutive win over Levante on Sunday.

The Argentina captain scored twice at Getafe, having also scored a brace in the first leg, as Martino's team cruised to a 6-0 aggregate win to set up a quarter-final clash with their opponents on Sunday.

Messi's sublime second goal proved he is getting back to his best, as he showed a sharp turn of pace to set off on a trademark run before producing a clinical finish, and he is set to make his first La Liga start for over two months this weekend.

The sight of Messi in full flow would have been enough to strike fear into Levante defenders, as the Barca talisman has scored seven goals in his last five games against the Valencia club.

The 26-year-old scored twice on the opening day of the season as Barcelona hammered Levante 7-0 and he already has 18 goals for the season, despite missing a chunk of the season due to a hamstring and thigh injuries.

Barcelona remain level on points with Atletico Madrid after drawing with Diego Simeone's side last weekend and Real Madrid are now just three points adrift of the top two.

Martino's charges had won seven games in a row before being held at the Vicente Calderon and normal service was resumed at Getafe.

Levante have recovered well from their opening day thrashing at the Camp Nou to sit halfway in the table, although will not need reminding that they have failed to score in four of the previous five encounters with Barca.

Joaquin Caparros' side come into the game on the back of a 1-0 win over Rayo Vallecano that ensured progression in the Copa del Rey by the same scoreline on aggregate.

David Barral scored the only goal of the game and the striker was also on target to ensure Malaga were consigned to a 1-0 La Liga defeat last weekend.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the Spanish league

January 16
By PAUL LOGOTHETIS
AP Sports Writer

773-w2DwI.St.55.jpeg

Manu Fernandez, file | AP Photo FILE - The Jan. 8, 2014 file photo shows FC Barcelona's Lionel Messi, from Argentina, kicking the ball to score against Getafe during a Copa del Rey soccer match at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Spain. Messi is one of the three candidates as the world's best soccer player to be awarded at the FIFA Ballon d'Or gala on Monday, Jan 13, 2014.

MADRID — Fresh off his Ballon d'Or triumph, Cristiano Ronaldo and his Real Madrid teammates start the second half of the Spanish season looking to put pressure on leaders Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

Madrid is three points behind the co-leaders with 47.

At the bottom, Valladolid, Rayo Vallecano and Real Betis are in the relegation zone.

Here are five things to know about the Spanish league this weekend:

---

KEEPING PACE

With Barcelona and Atletico playing on Sunday, Real Madrid can apply some extra pressure with a victory on Saturday at last-place Real Betis.

Cristiano Ronaldo, who won the Ballon d'Or on Monday, will look to add to his season-high 20 league goals after reaching 30 in all competitions in Wednesday's 2-0 win at Osasuna in the Copa del Rey.

"Now we've reached the most difficult moment of the season because every game is important," said Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti, who has brought calm to the club after Jose Mourinho's tumultuous term. "We've got many games to play and we have to play well in each of them."

---

HIGH-FLYING BARCELONA

Barcelona is feeling good after the first half of the season: Co-leader in the league, on the verge of the Copa del Rey quarterfinals, and through to the second round of the Champions League.

And Lionel Messi is back in form, too.

Messi has shown no signs of struggling to recover his form after a two-month layoff and coach Gerardo Martino seems ready to start the Argentina midfielder rather than bring him off the bench.

"He's in perfect playing condition," Martino said of Messi.

---

FINDING NEYMAR

Neymar's adaptation to Barcelona has been slowed by injuries, and now a legal challenge over the Brazil striker's transfer could prove a further disruption.

One club member has challenged Barcelona's transfer fee from Santos, with much of that cost going to a company reputed to be owned by Neymar's father.

After lighting up December with six goals in five games, Neymar is scoreless in two games in the new year.

---

BALE'S IMPACT

Much like Neymar, Gareth Bale has shown flashes of brilliance during an irregular start to life in Spain.

But the world's most expensive player — who joined Madrid in a record transfer in the offseason — has made little impact since the start of the calendar year, and is without a goal since November.

Ancelotti said Bale was struggling because of the accumulation of injuries and lack of a real preseason, with the Welshman lacking that instinct for goal in recent games.

---

ATLETICO REINFORCEMENTS

Atletico showed itself capable of competing with Barcelona once again following their 0-0 draw on Saturday, but questions over fatigue are certain to begin creeping in with the club still going strong in all three competitions.

Diego Costa is scoreless in four games, while fellow striker David Villa's last goal came seven appearances ago.

Jose Sosa's arrival could ease the burden as the Argentine forward adapted well to the team's play in Tuesday's 2-0 Copa del Rey win over Valencia.

"He'll get better with every day," Atletico coach Diego Simeone said of Sosa, who arrived from Ukrainian club Metalist earlier this month and should be available for Sunday's match against Sevilla.

Last edited:

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Atletico miss chance after Barcelona draw

19 January 2014

ALeqM5ixDQwoXEfMGKXXTmHuqTG6BA-ngA

Atletico Madrid missed the opportunity to leapfrop Barcelona at the top of La Liga as both sides were held to 1-1 draws on Sunday.

Gerardo Martino's Barca, missing the injured Neymar, were well below their best in a 1-1 draw at Levante's Estadio Ciudad de Valencia.

Barcelona had thumped the same opponents 7-0 on the opening day, but fell behind on 10 minutes when Loukas Vyntra headed home Andreas Ivanschitz's corner.

The lead was short-lived, Gerard Pique meeting a delivery from Xavi to level in the 19th minute with a near carbon copy of Vyntra's effort.

Barca improved in the second half, but failed to find a winner and were almost caught out by a 20-yard effort from Ivanschitz in the closing stages.

That gave Atletico the opportunity to remove Barcelona from the top of the league for the first time since September 2012, but Diego Simeone's charges fell short in a 1-1 draw with Sevilla at Vicente Calderon.

David Villa put Atletico ahead on 18 minutes, but Ivan Rakitic levelled from the penalty spot in the 73rd minute, meaning the Croatian midfielder has now scored at Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico this season.

The match ended on a sour note for the visitors as Alberto Moreno was sent off in the 90th minute, but Sevilla are now unbeaten in eight league games and seventh in the table.

Villarreal moved up to fourth with a comfortable 2-0 victory over struggling Almeria.

Ikechukwu Uche's 12th goal of the season put the hosts ahead after just three minutes, and Bruno Soriano scored from the penalty spot in the closing stages to confirm the points for Marcelino Garcia Toral's men.

Getafe overcame a two-goal deficit to earn a 2-2 draw with Real Sociedad in Sunday's early game.

A double inside 16 minutes from Imanol Agirretxe put Sociedad in control, but Ciprian Marica halved the deficit shortly before the half-hour mark.

Getafe's comeback was completed on 52 minutes when Pedro Leon grabbed his sixth goal of the campaign.

The home side held on for a point despite playing the last 30 minutes with 10 men due to the dismissal of Borja.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Betis sack Garrido, appoint Calderon

19 January 2014

ALeqM5hwDd82vXUQQJyTr9a9qZWXRK2HiQ

Real Betis have sacked coach Juan Carlos Garrido, with Gabriel Humberto Calderon appointed as his replacement.

Garrido was relieved of his duties on Sunday, becoming the latest man to pay the price for the club's struggles in La Liga.

Garrido's last game in charge saw Betis lose 5-0 at home to Real Madrid on Saturday, a result that leaves them eight points adrift of safety and rock-bottom of the division.

And the club moved swiftly to replace him at the helm, with Calderon installed later on Sunday.

A statement on the club's official website confirmed: "Gabriel Humberto Calderon is the new coach of Real Betis.

"The coach, who has come to Sevilla tonight (Sunday), has already signed a contract for the remainder of the season."

Calderon becomes the club's third coach of the campaign, after Garrido replaced the sacked Pepe Mel in December.

His new deal has an option to be extended beyond the end of the campaign.

Garrido was unable to arrest a disastrous slump in form, having failed to guide the club to a league win in his five attempts.

The 44-year-old took charge of 10 matches in all competitions, with both of his wins coming in the Copa del Rey, although Betis were knocked out at the round-of-16 stage by Athletic Bilbao on aggregate earlier this month.

The club have struggled to juggle league commitments with their UEFA Europa League exertions this season.

They qualified from the group stage of the second-tier European competition and will face Rubin Kazan over two legs in the last 32 next month.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino rues Barca profligacy

19 January 2014

412135header.jpg

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino lamented his side's failure to get their reward in front of goal after the disappointing 1-1 draw at Levante.

The reigning champions - missing the injured Neymar - produced a lacklustre performance at Estadio Ciudad de Valencia on Sunday, to record consecutive draws in La Liga.

Levante withstood heavy pressure in the opening exchanges before taking the lead against the run of play after 10 minutes when Andreas Ivanschitz's corner was met by Loukas Vyntra.

The home side only held the lead for nine minutes, however, as Gerard Pique headed home Xavi's corner.

Barcelona improved after the break with Lionel Messi and Cristian Tello going close, but ultimately they were unable to break down a stubborn Levante defence.

Martino felt that his side should have come away with maximum points, although he conceded that there would be many twists in the title race before the end of the campaign.

"We came here to win the match and play good football," he said. "The result isn't what we came for, nor was it what we deserved.

"We were not fortunate in front of goal. (There will be) many more surprises. I think the remaining 18 rounds of the season will show that.

"We're leaving here sad because we were unable to win. We know that we're going to win nine out of 10 of these type of matches."

Barcelona had thumped Levante 7-0 in the first fixture between the sides at Camp Nou on the opening day of the season, and they will meet the same side again in the first leg of their Copa del Rey quarter-final next week.

And Martino was quick to credit Joaquin Caparros' men for how far they have come.

"They have improved a lot from the beginning of the season," he added.

"There's not much to say. We tried and we did a good job. Their keeper (Keylor Navas) played a great match."