• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino: La Liga title race wide open

2 February 2014

415202header.jpg

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino believes Saturday's defeat to Valencia has drastically altered the race for the title in La Liga.

Goals from Dani Parejo, Pablo Piatti and Paco Alcacer inflicted a rare home defeat on the champions, who had previously won their last 25 league outings on home soil.

The defeat means Barca's 59-week stay at the top of La Liga is likely to come to an end with title rivals Atletico and Real Madrid in action on Sunday against Real sociedad and Athletic Bilbao respectively.

And Martino believes his team are playing in "a different league" after Saturday's loss, which will see them hoping to make ground on their rivals for the first time under his stewardship.

He said: "All the options are intact but now we begin to play a different league to what we have done so far.

"We must move forward. Next week we have two very difficult games against Real Sociedad and Sevilla.

"Every time we lose a game we play, we care.

"And it's much more in the league, where losing a game means losing a piece of the championship.

"But we will fight without any doubt and try to fix our mistakes."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Alonso criticial of Gurpegui after Ronaldo dismissal

3 February 2014

415382header.jpg

Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso feels Carlos Gurpegui and the San Mames crowd contributed to Cristiano Ronaldo's dismissal on Sunday.

The Portugal international was shown the red card following an altercation with the Athletic Bilbao defender 15 minutes from time as Real were held 1-1.

Ronaldo raised his hand to Gurpegui and, while Alonso confessed that was an error on his team-mate's part, he felt referee Miguel Ayza was influenced by other factors.

"It was not aggressive, Cristiano Ronaldo's red was exaggerated, Gurpegui made the most of it and the crowd influenced the referee throughout the match," he said.

"This always happens, it's nothing new. Cristiano shouldn't have done what he did but it is not a sending off, that went against us."

Real's dropped points came on a weekend where Barcelona were beaten and Atletico Madrid moved three points clear at the top.

Alonso was frustrated not to pick up a victory but felt the result was a fair one.

"We came here with the intention of winning because it was a good opportunity to pick up points in the league but we knew it was going to be a difficult trip," he added.

"It was a fair result. It was a very good and intense match, the referee got some things wrong but that's normal."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday February 3 2014

Neymar hits out at 'fake friends'

By Football Espana staff

neymar-headup490ai_10.jpg

Neymar has spoken up for his father and has hit out at ‘fake friends’ following his controversial move to Barcelona.

The Brazilian’s transfer to the Blaugrana has come in for extensive scrutiny, with Sandro Rosell quitting as President after it was alleged that there were ‘misappropriation of funds’.

However, the attacker has thanked his father for guiding his career so far.

“I'm sorry, father, but this time, for the first time, I'm going to disobey you – I have to speak out,” he posted on Instagram.

“I wanted to thank you for the way you have overseen my career. It's thanks to you I played for the team in my heart, Santos FC, and I am now at my dream team, FC Barcelona.

“I know a lot of people are coming out with a load of rubbish about us, questioning our character.… I've also discovered that we have a huge amount of fake friends.…

“Father, when Thiago Silva said that he would die for me on the pitch, I felt the same, but now I know that I would give my only son's life for you.

“So I'm asking you to come back to Spain, I miss you. I'm playing again in a few days and I need you here.

“It's only a matter of time before people realise that you did nothing wrong. You were just being my father through and through. I love you and we are in this together.”

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday February 3 2014

'Maybe one day I'll play in France'

By Football Espana staff

ronaldo-celebration490ai_9.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted that he could join a French side when his contract expires at Real Madrid, but has insisted he is happy with Los Blancos.

Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco have been big-spenders in the world of European football recently.

And the Portugal international has conceded that he could see himself playing in Ligue 1 – but not until his deal ends at Santiago Bernabeu.

“Maybe one day I will live in France or play there or perhaps not,” he told Telefoot. The only thing I am certain of is that I am determined to learn French.

“I am under contract at Real Madrid until I am 33 and I hope I can stay here, where I am very happy.”

The Ballon d’Or winner then commented on his Golden Ball win, and Zinedine Zidane’s presence at Real Madrid.

“It will be difficult to improve on the 69 goals I scored but nothing is impossible. I will give exactly the same of myself, as I always do, every season.

“I just hope that I can avoid any kind of injury; it’s important to always be in form. Scoring more than 69 goals will be difficult but I am prepared to have a go and try to do it.

“I am working hard to achieve it, we’ll see but I think it can be done.

“Both [Ribery] and Messi deserved to win [the Ballon d’Or] because they have achieved so much – many trophies and they’ve scored lots of goals but it was my turn. They voted for me to win and like them, I had a great year in 2013.

“Carlo Ancelotti is a great Coach, I am very happy to be with him and Zidane is doing a great job too.

“It’s incredible to be able to work with him because he has such a wealth of experience and he knows how to talk to the players.

“I am very happy here at Madrid and I’m dreaming about winning something this year like the Champions League. Working with Carlo and Zidane improves our chances of being able to reach our objectives.”

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino: Barcelona will not stumble again

366131_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
Feb 4, 2014 4:13:00 PM

The 51-year-old has rejected talk suggesting that his side are not good enough to win La Liga but warns they must cut out mistakes in matches

Barcelona boss Gerardo Martino has dismissed suggestions his side are not good enough to win La Liga, insisting they will not stumble again this season.

The Catalan club slipped three points behind Primera Division leaders Atletico Madrid following their shock 3-2 defeat at home to Valencia at the weekend.

Barca conceded two goals in 11 minutes in the second half after taking the lead through Alexis Sanchez, with Paco Alcacer firing a 59th-minute winner after Lionel Messi had equalised from the penalty spot, but Martino maintains their second-half showing should not rule them out of the title race.

"I don't think there will be any more stumbling," the Argentine told the club's official website. "For 45 minutes we played poorly but the club cannot be ruled out of the league.

"We know that in more and more games we are making errors and it is getting harder to recover. But whenever there is a loss, in the next game there is a chance of redemption."

Martino believes his side must be more ruthless in closing out games for the remainder of the season after surrendering their early advantage on Saturday.

"We need to be able to close matches off. Normally when the team starts ticking, we end up winning games by two or three goals," he added.

Barcelona take on Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona to appeal Jordi Alba red card

279018_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Feb 4, 2014 8:04:00 AM

The Catalans are hopeful that the defender will not be suspended following his sending off at the weekend.

Barcelona have announced that they will appeal the red card Jordi Alba received in this weekend's 3-2 Liga defeat against Valencia at Camp Nou.

The Spain international was shown his second yellow card of the game in the 77th minute following an altercation with Sofiane Feghouli, having already gone into the referee's book shortly after the interval.

The Catalans feel the 24-year-old's dismissal against his former team was harsh and have consequently opted to launch an appeal.

"Barcelona will appeal Jordi Alba’s red card to the Competition Committee," a statement on the club's official website reads.

"The Barcelona left-back was shown his second yellow card on 77 minutes for 'knocking down an opponent in a dispute for the ball' according to referee Perez Montero’s post-match referee report.

"The defender was shown his first yellow card on 51 minutes."

Alba's red card was the first for a Barcelona player since last year's Clasico. The Catalans had since gone 52 games without a dismissal.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo ban to be decided on Wednesday

365636_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Feb 4, 2014 10:14:00 AM

The 28-year-old was red-carded for raising his hands to Carlos Gurpegui and clashing with Ander Iturraspe in Sunday's clash with Athletic Bilbao

Real Madrid will discover on Wednesday the length of Cristiano Ronaldo's ban following the Portugal captain's sending-off on Sunday.

The Spanish FA (RFEF) have announced that they will meet to discuss a suitable punishment for Ronaldo on February 5, the same day that los Blancos face city rivals Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey.

The former Manchester United attacker was shown a straight red card following a clash with Carlos Gurpegui Ander Iturraspe during Sunday's 1-1 La Liga draw away to Athletic Bilbao.

Under the RFEF's disciplinary system, the ban could cover anything from one game to in excess of three should the offence be considered to have been an act of violent conduct.

Madrid's next three league matches come against Villarreal at the Bernabeu on Saturday, away to Getafe on Sunday, February 16 and at home to Elche the following Saturday, although the RFEF could decide to include the second-leg of the Copa semi-final clash with Atletico as part of any ban enforced upon Ronaldo.

Blancos coach Carlo Ancelotti hit out at referee Miguel Ayza's decision to send his star man off after the match on Sunday, saying: "I was not close to it, but the pictures show that it was a bit exaggerated."

The 2013 Ballon d'Or winner, who turns 29 on the day of the disciplinary hearing, has scored 32 goals in 30 games for Madrid this season.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo will not face lengthy ban, insists Ancelotti

365739_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Feb 4, 2014 1:38:00 PM

The former Paris Saint-Germain boss has little doubt that the Ballon d'Or holder will not be hit with a long suspension following his red card against Athletic Bilbao
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti is confident that Cristiano Ronaldo will not receive a lengthy ban for his red card in the 1-1 La Liga draw against Athletic Bilbao.

Ronaldo was dismissed in the second half of the encounter after an altercation with Carlos Gurpegui and Ander Iturraspe, and could receive a ban of more than three games should the Spanish FA (RFEF) deem the offence to be an act of violent conduct when their disciplinary board meets on Wednesday.

Ancelotti, however, believes the Portugal international will escape with a one-match suspension and will be available for the first leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final with rivals Atletico Madrid on Wednesday evening.

"I don't think we will have to wait for the committee's decision. I am convinced that he will not be heavily punished for what happened. Cristiano will start on Wednesday," the Italian coach said at a press conference.

"I don't know what to say about Ronaldo's gesture when he left the pitch. I don't think he meant anything bad with it. He was obviously unhappy with his dismissal as it was a harsh decision.

"Cristiano is often provoked on the pitch and concedes a lot of fouls. His gesture wasn't that bad."

Ancelotti also revealed Gareth Bale and Raphael Varane could both make a return to the side following injury lay-offs, and admits he is eager to keep a clean sheet in their first-leg clash at Santiago Bernabeu.

"Every derby or Clasico is the most important game for the club and the fans," he continued. "Tomorrow a different Real Madrid will play compared to the team that played Atletico in the League.

"Atletico are organised, solid and compact. Simeone is doing a great job and has a great team. He says they are not favourites to win the title to get rid of pressure.

"Atletico have maintained the same quality and are still organised. They are more confident now because they've won many games.

"We will have the support of our fans tomorrow which is always important. We have to try to keep a clean-sheet and win the game."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keita ´turned down Liverpool´

4 February 2014

keita040214.jpg

Seydou Keita has revealed he was in "very advanced" talks with Liverpool before opting to move to Valencia.

The former Sevilla and Barcelona man signed for Valencia towards the end of the January transfer window, agreeing a loan deal from Chinese side Dalian Aerbin until the end of the season.

However, upon his unveiling at Mestalla, Keita told reporters he had contemplated a move to the Premier League.

"When we received the call from Valencia, talks with Liverpool were at a very advanced stage," the midfielder said.

"But then I told my agent we were going to Valencia. I did not doubt for a second.

"When I came to play at Mestalla with Sevilla or Barcelona I suffered a lot to win, because this is a really big club with fantastic fans. That is why I opted to come here."

The Mali international's deal includes the option for a year's extension in the summer, and Keita is happy to see how things progress over the remainder of the season before deciding further on his future.

"It is important that this is clear," he said.

"I am coming here from China. To sign for a year and a half is a difficult thing for the club.

"I told them to relax, that I would sign for six months and if I have the right level we will all have time to continue. That is better for the club and for everyone."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo handed three-game ban

365736_heroa.jpg

Feb 5, 2014 12:16:00 PM

The Portugal international will miss three matches following his dismissal at the weekend, but will be available for Wednesday's Copa del Rey game against Atletico Madrid.

The Spanish Football Association (RFEF) has handed Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo a three-game ban following his red card against Athletic Bilbao.

The Portugal international - who celebrates his 29th birthday on Wednesday - received his marching orders in the 76th minute of Sunday's Liga encounter after an altercation with Athletic's Ander Iturraspe and Carlos Gurpegui.

Ronaldo consequently risked a suspension that could cover anything from one game to in excess of three and the RFEF has now opted to keep him out of action for three matches.

The forward was slapped with a one-game ban for the incident with Iturraspe, while getting an additional two games for his offensive gesture after his dismissal.

He will miss the Liga games at home against Villarreal (February 9) and Elche (February 23) as well as the away match versus Getafe (February 16).

However, Ronaldo will be available for both legs of the Copa del Rey semi-final tie against Atletico Madrid, with the first leg taking place at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday February 5 2014

Referee ‘changed Ronaldo story’

By Football Espana staff

ronaldo-red490ai.jpg

Referee Miguel Ayza Gamez has been accused of changing his reason for why he sent off Cristiano Ronaldo on Sunday.

Marca reports that Gamez has told the Football Federation he sent off the Real Madrid forward for the incident with Athletic Bilbao’s Ander Iturraspe and not the preceding tangle with Carlos Gurpegi.

Gamez is said to have initially told his fellow officials that Ronaldo was sent off for raising his hand to Gurpegi but has since changed his story.

Madrid are understood to be angry with the change in reasoning and are expected to appeal the red card. They have until Wednesday morning to make their appeal official.

Immediately after Ronaldo clashed with Gurpegi he was also involved in an incident with Iturraspe, with the Athletic player shown a yellow card for his part.

Madrid’s appeal is thought to rest on an error in the referee’s report and the perceived double-standard in sending off Ronaldo but only booking Iturraspe.

The club will also argue that the gesture Ronaldo has been accused of making as he left the pitch was not directed to the fourth official, who it is claimed was not even looking in Ronaldo’s direction.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Official: Valencia to sign Otamendi

Feb 6, 2014 12:12:00 AM

303017_heroa.jpg

The 25-year-old will leave Porto and join los Che in the summer on a five-year deal and revealed his delight at joining the club.

Valencia have announced they have signed Porto defender Nicolas Otamendi on a five-year deal for a reported fee of €12 million.

The 25-year-old, who will join the club in July, has been highly sought-after, with a number of European clubs interested in the Argentine's services, including Manchester United, Manchester City and Monaco.

And the centre-back was thrilled to join a club with previous Argentine greats such as Mario Kempes, Roberto Ayala and Pablo Aimar.

“After playing for a club like Porto - a huge, prestigious club - it is an honour to join a club like Valencia for this next stage of my career," Otamendi told the official club website.

"Valencia are one of the most historic and attractive teams in Spain and in Europe, and I am very happy with this next step in my footballing life.

“I know that Argentine players have been an important part of Valencia CF’s history. To wear the same shirt as Mario Kempes, Roberto Ayala, Pablo Aimar and many more is a responsibility that I will take on with much joy and excitement.

The club's general sporting manager Francisco Rufete added: “We have a great squad and we are convinced that Nico Otamendi will help us to improve from next season onwards, because he is a world-class talent.

"He is a strategic incorporation for our project and we are fortunate that he has chosen Valencia out of the many clubs vying for his signature. The arrival of Otamendi is great news for all Valencianistas and for the future of our side.”

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Weekend off for Ronaldo red ref Gamez

7 February 2014

416366header.jpg

Spanish referee Ayza Gamez will not officiate a La Liga match this week after controversially sending off Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 2013 FIFA Ballon d'Or winner was given his marching orders for raising a hand to Athletic Bilbao captain Carlos Gurpegi in Sunday's 1-1 draw.

Ronaldo also clashed with Ander Iturraspe and the red card forced Real to settle for a point.

Carlo Ancelotti's side are now three points behind city rivals and league leaders Atletico Madrid in La Liga.

Gamez has not been given a top-flight match for the upcoming weekend and media reports in Spain suggest he may be on the sidelines for up to a month.

Ronaldo was suspended for three matches for the incident, with two of them coming for dissent as he left the pitch.

Real's appeal is being heard on Friday.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo ban upheld, misses three matches

7 February 2014

416389header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo's appeal against a three-match ban for pushing Athletic Bilbao's Carlos Gurpegui has been rejected.

Ronaldo will now miss La Liga fixtures against Villarreal, Getafe and Elche as Real Madrid press for just their second title since 2008.

However, he remains available for Real's Copa del Rey second-leg tie with Atletico Madrid - in which they hold a 3-0 advantage - and will return to league action for the Madrid derby on March 3.

The Portugal star was sent off in the 75th minute of his side's 1-1 draw at Bilbao on Sunday after he raised a hand to opposition captain Gurpegi.

Ronaldo – who won the 2013 FIFA Ballon d'Or – also clashed with Ander Iturraspe and gestured toward the fourth official as he left the pitch.

His three-match ban comprised of one game for his actions and two for dissent as he walked off the pitch.

Real have been fined a total of €1,050, while Ronaldo has been hit in the pocket to the tune of €1,200.

Ronaldo has scored 22 goals in 21 La Liga appearances this season.

Carlo Ancelotti's side are third in the table, three points behind table-topping Atleti.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Easy trip for Atletico

6 February 2014

415804header.jpg

Atletico Madrid head coach Diego Simeone may take the opportunity to rest some key players when his side travel to Almeria on Saturday.

While Simeone will be keen for a response from his side after a 3-0 loss away to Real Madrid in their Copa del Rey semi-final first leg on Wednesday, Saturday's trip to Almeria in La Liga may be a rare opportunity for the Argentine coach to rotate his squad.

Simeone is renowned for generally sticking with a core group of around 14 players for most matches but with Almeria struggling in the Spanish league, the 43-year-old may make some changes ahead of a busy period of games.

The likes of Spanish striker Adrian (two starts in La Liga this season), Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld (three starts) and Uruguayan midfielder Cristian Rodriguez (zero) would be keen to avoid starting on the bench this week.

Atletico (57 points, plus 42 goal difference) took a shock three-point lead in La Liga last week after thumping Real Sociedad 4-0 with Valencia stunning Barcelona (54, plus 43) 3-2 at the Camp Nou, while Real Madrid (54, plus 39) were held to a 1-1 draw by Athletic Bilbao.

While Simeone's men face Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League commitments in the coming weeks, they face a relatively easy run in La Liga with their clash with 17th-placed Almeria to be followed by fixtures against Real Valladolid (18th) and Osasuna (16th).

Barcelona, who defeated Sociedad 2-0 on Wednesday in the Copa del Rey, will look to bounce back from their surprise loss last week when they travel to Sevilla on Sunday, while Real face another tricky test when they host fifth-placed Villarreal on Saturday.

Valencia will look to extend their unbeaten run to four games when they host bottom club Real Betis, who claimed a rare three points last week, accounting for Espanyol 2-0.

Juan Antonio Pizzi has made a significant difference to Valencia since he took over as head coach in late December.

The Argentine has led Valencia in five La Liga encounters for two wins, two draws and a loss.

Espanyol will be desperate to atone for their embarrassing loss last week when they start round 23 against Granada on Friday, while in other matches, Rayo Vallecano will host Malaga, Osasuna face Getafe, Real Valladolid will entertain Elche, Sociedad are up against Levante and Celta de Vigo will play Bilbao.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the Spanish league

Friday, 07 February 2014, 17:31

3899916291-AP877938038898-5-things-to-know-about-the-Spanish-league-gpV.jpg

Atletico Madrid begins life alone atop the Spanish league standings for the first time since 1996 this weekend, with a visit to relegation-threatened Almeria perhaps the necessary elixir following Wednesday's 3-0 Copa del Rey humbling by crosstown rival Real Madrid.

Madrid welcomes Villarreal without Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona has a tough visit to Sevilla on hand with both trailing Atletico by three points.

Here are five things to know about the Spanish league this weekend:

___

TEMPER, TEMPER

Diego Costa's temper got the best of the Atletico striker in the domestic cup defeat at Madrid, with a yellow card leaving him out of the semifinal return leg. That may bode better for Atletico's league push, though.

Costa will certainly start Saturday at Almeria, with fellow striker David Villa injured, but will get a rest in midweek with Champions League play also on the horizon.

Atletico will need to rebound from the deflating loss, which ended a 23-game unbeaten run and was only its second defeat of the season.

___

GET LOST

Barcelona's winning, but it's not pretty.

Coupled with Lionel Messi's subdued return and the off-field antics surrounding Neymar's contract, it's no surprise that supporters of the Catalan club are staying away from the Camp Nou this season.

Only 38,505 spectators attended the 2-0 Copa del Rey victory over Real Sociedad, mirroring a season-long drop-off in attendance at the 100,000-capacity stadium, which has been particularly sharp in recent weeks.

Average attendance is 64,600 this season — down 6,000 — but only 48,450 on average have attended the most recent five games.

"If I was a Barca supporter and I had to work the next day with the game kicking off at 10 p.m. at night, I wouldn't come either," coach Gerardo Martino said.

Defender Dani Alves was less forgiving.

"Those who don't come to the stadium are less loyal," Alves said.

___

RONALDO OUT, BALE IN?

Cristiano Ronaldo begins the first of a three-game league ban when Madrid faces Villarreal on Saturday, and Gareth Bale is expected to fill his void after being sidelined for two games.

Ronaldo's antics after earning a red card at Athletic Bilbao on Sunday led to the suspension, so coach Carlo Ancelotti kept Bale out against Atletico to stay fresh for Villarreal.

Bale has had a rocky start to his Madrid career since his world record transfer from Tottenham, but has still managed to score 10 goals in 22 appearances, while providing seven assists.

Madrid is unbeaten in 22 matches overall.

___

MUTED BARCA

While Messi looks like he's on autopilot with the World Cup approaching, Spain will be preoccupied with the state of Andres Iniesta of late.

The Barcelona midfielder has started only 14 of 22 league games this season, spending more time coming off and returning to the bench early.

Martino said Iniesta was perhaps still feeling a knock he picked up against Atletico last month and that he expected Messi to come alive soon.

"I'm not worried that Messi is not scoring goals. He had three clear opportunities (against Sociedad) and he'll soon score again," Martino said.

Sevilla will be itching for a result with the Andalucians winless in four games.

___

GOLDEN BOY

One player who has taken advantage of Bale's inactivity has been Madrid forward Jese Rodriguez.

The 20-year-old striker has scored seven goals this season, including in three straight games, and is quickly turning into a reference point in Madrid's attack.

"Everyone knows Jese is very important for us. He's scoring goals in important games," Ancelotti said.

The Madrid youth product believes his emerging role will only help the world's most expensive team.

"I'm just happy that Ancelotti is giving me opportunities and I want to keep on like this," Jese said. "It's healthy competition and it's good for the team."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Real Madrid go top as Atletico lose at Almeria

8 February 2014

416851header.jpg

Real Madrid moved to the top of the table thanks to their 4-2 win over Villarreal and Almeria beating Atletico Madrid 2-0.

Real played out an entertaining encounter and although two delicate finishes from Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema gave them a two-goal lead by the 25th minute, the hosts made it hard for themselves.

Mario brought Marcelino Garcia Toral's side back into the contest just before the break with a powerful finish, only for Jese Rodriguez to reinstate the two-goal deficit in the 64th minute.

An unstoppable Giovani dos Santos free-kick about 30 yards again put the pressure back on Carlo Ancelotti's side, but Benzema finished a deadly counter-attack in the 76th minute to wrap up the win, seeing them go top on goal difference.

Atletico generally controlled the first half against Almeria, but they found their hosts in a particularly defiant mood as they hassled and harried the visitors, who were without the injured David Villa, Thibaut Courtois and Luis Filipe.

Diego Simeone's men felt they were due a penalty as Javi Manquillo received a shove from Suso, but the referee waved away the claims as Atletico struggled to break through the hosts' rigid backline.

Almeria clinched the win in the final 10 minutes as Jose Verza first deceived Daniel Aranzubia with a cross before converting a penalty after the Atletico goalkeeper brought down Jonathan Zongo, earning a red card in the process.

Valencia moved up to eighth and heaped more misery on bottom club Real Betis in Saturday's early kick-off as they romped to a 5-0 hammering at the Mestalla.

The home fans were made to wait until the 41st minute for their first goal as Jeremy Mathieu scored, before Paco Alcacer netted for the third league game in a row, poking Eduardo Vargas' wayward shot in.

Just past the hour mark Sofiane Feghouli rounded off an incisive counter-attack with a confident finish just inside the area to make it 3-0, before Alcacer added his second and Vargas notched his first for the club to complete the rout.

Rayo Vallecano closed to within two points of safety as they cruised to a comfortable 4-1 win over visitors Malaga, with former Barcelona and Juventus youngster Iago Falque getting the first with a solo run before coolly beating Willy Caballero from a tight angle.

Anaitz Arbilla added another a few moments later in the 28th minute and after Sergio Sanchez picked up his second yellow card on the stroke of half-time, Joaquin Larrivey converted the resulting penalty.

With Larrivey turning provider, Falque scored a second eye-catching goal just after the hour and although Oleksandr Iakovenko pulled one back for Bernd Schuster's side, the hosts collected all three points.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Barcelona back to the top, Levante draw at Real Sociedad

9 February 2014

417055header.jpg

Barcelona moved back to the top of La Liga by beating Sevilla 4-1, while Levante dented Real Sociedad's top-four hopes in a 0-0 draw.

Thanks to Almeria's 2-0 win over Atletico Madrid on Saturday, Barcelona went into their game on Sunday knowing victory would secure a return to the summit, and the reigning champions rode their luck to claim three points.

Sevilla deservedly took the lead in the 15th minute as Marc Bartra deflected an Alberto Moreno shot past Victor Valdes.

Carlos Bacca hit the post with a header and Ivan Rakitic missed the target following a counter-attack as Sevilla continued to impress, but Barcelona soon punished their opponents' wastefulness.

Alexis Sanchez grabbed a controversial equaliser, heading home a free-kick with the back of his head from what appeared to be an offside position, and Lionel Messi put the visitors ahead just before half-time.

Sevilla continued to spurn chances and were ultimately well beaten as Messi and substitute Cesc Fabregas added further goals to give Barca a somewhat flattering margin of victory.

Real Sociedad's bid to finish in the top four for a second consecutive season was harmed as 10th-placed Levante held firm in San Sebastian.

The hosts dominated much of the match, but found Levante goalkeeper Keylor Navas in inspired form.

Costa Rica international Navas has put in eye-catching performances against both Barcelona and Sevilla recently. On Sunday, he continually kept Carlos Vela at bay to earn his side a point.

Osasuna's survival chances received another boost courtesy of a 2-0 win over Getafe at El Sadar, taking them level on 25 points with their visitors.

Oriol Riera got the hosts off to a flier as he netted in the sixth minute and a clinching second goal arrived with two minutes remaining when Roberto Torres found the net.

A second-half double from Humberto Osorio salvaged a point for Real Valladolid at home to Elche, but the former remain three points from safety.

Coro got the game's first goal just after the half-hour mark and Manu del Moral seemed to have secured three points for Elche in the 66th minute.

However, Colombian Osorio had other things in mind as he scored twice in the final 19 minutes to earn Valladolid a point.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tiago suffers knee, wrist injuries

9 February 2014

416962header.jpg

Atletico Madrid midfielder Tiago is set for a lengthy lay-off after sustaining knee and wrist injuries against Almeria on Saturday.

The former Portugal international was injured in a crunching tackle from compatriot Helder Barbosa 67 minutes into Atleti's 2-0 defeat, which saw them toppled from La Liga's summit.

Barbosa was tripped by Diego Ribas as he approached Tiago, landing both feet midway up his opponent's leg.

As a result, Atleti confirmed on Sunday that the former Chelsea midfielder has suffered a "grade II sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee", which could keep him out for up to three months.

To make things worse for Tiago, he also suffered a broken wrist as he fell to the ground.

Tiago has made 17 appearances so far this season, scoring twice - including one in Atleti's 4-2 win over Almeria earlier on this campaign.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona fail in Halilovic bid

9 February 2014

416990header.jpg

Dinamo Zagreb director Zdravko Mamic has confirmed the club rejected a bid from Barcelona for midfielder Alen Halilovic.

The 17-year-old Croatian international has impressed for Dinamo this season, and the club were quick to rebuff any interest from the Liga side during the January transfer window.

Halilovic has a growing reputation in the game and has also attracted reported interest from Premier League pair Tottenham and Arsenal.

Details of the bid were not revealed by Mamic, but he was quick to stress he felt remaining in Croatia would be better for the youngster.

"We have received an offer from Barcelona, but it was not accepted because neither Dinamo nor the Halilovic family were entirely satisfied with conditions proposed by Barcelona," the director told Jutarnji List.

"But I am sure that we haven't heard the end of this, Barcelona are persisting to ensure that the transfer takes place.

"Frankly, I would like Halilovic to remain at Dinamo for three more years."

Halilovic has made 13 appearances for Dinamo this season, helping them open up a five point gap at the top of the table from rivals Hadjuk Split.