• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool´s Ilori loaned to Granada

20 January 2014

412225header.jpg

Liverpool defender Tiago Ilori has joined La Liga side Granada on loan for the remainder of the season.

The Portuguese moved to Anfield from Sporting Lisbon on the final day of the transfer window in September but has failed to make a senior appearance for the club.

After only featuring for Liverpool's under-21 side this term, Ilori will spend the rest of the campaign at the Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes.

He joins a team who sit 10th in the Spanish top flight after their 0-0 draw with Osasuna on Saturday.

Despite not yet breaking into the Liverpool first team, Rodgers said earlier this month that Ilori has a bright future at Anfield.

"I wanted to try to protect the present and the future of the club (by signing Illori)," he said.

"He is one for the future, but he can be a really big talent."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona to remodel Camp Nou

20 January 2014

412314header.jpg

Barcelona have announced they will not be building a new stadium to replace Camp Nou, but intend to remodel their existing home.

The building work is set to take place between May 2017 and February 2021 at an estimated cost of €600million.

A new stadium will have a roof over all sections, with the surrounding areas also set to be renovated as part of the plans.

Any proposed changes still have to be approved by a referendum of club representatives, which will be held in early April.

"It was a difficult decision," president Sandro Rosell said.

"The two projects were very attractive but we were committed to put to a referendum a project that was viable from a technical, urban-planning and economic perspective.

"The Nou Camp is part of our collective memory, the biggest stadium in Europe and an icon of the city of Barcelona.

"The option of building a new stadium on a new site has been rejected as the final cost could have saddled the club and its members with debt and tied the hands of future boards of directors.

"To maintain our status as leaders we have to take this historic step which will require effort from everyone involved.

"We will increase the value of our real estate and the capacity to generate additional income without having to sell off assets."

Club director Javier Faus revealed that the planned changes would take eight-10 years to pay off and claimed the club would finance the majority of the cost with their own money.

Camp Nou was built in the 1950s and has previously been renovated in 1982, 1995 and 2008.

Its capacity has varied from figures between 93,053 - 115,000 over the years.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Not easy to live a normal life - Ronaldo

21 January 2014

412502header.jpg

Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed the difficulty he faces in leading a normal life.

The Real Madrid winger claimed the prestigious prize earlier this month, having scored 63 goals during 2013, but has opened up about a less appealing side to global stardom - one he hopes to shake off upon his retirement.

"It's not easy to lead a normal life, although I'm used to it," he told France Football. "When I finish my career, I hope everything is quieter and you can enjoy a little more. Now it is not easy.

"I try to avoid public places and go to more quiet places, to restaurants with a hidden table. I'm not going to hotels with five hundred rooms, but at discrete locations. I will try to enjoy later, when another Cristiano is in my place."

The Portugal captain was clearly emotional upon learning he had won the Ballon d'Or and acknowledges his tears may have taken some by surprise.

"It was a time of great excitement, especially when my son came to my happy arms," he continued. "It overflowed my excitement and I began to cry. And when I saw the tears of my family, I cried even more.

"They were honest, real tears. Frankly, I did not expect it and at that moment I felt very happy.

"For people who do not know me, it must have been a big surprise because I always look serious on the pitch. For those who share life with me, they know that I am a natural and spontaneous person."

The former Manchester United attacker feels a professional attitude has been a major contributing factor in his success, citing the influence of players such as Ryan Giggs and Raul.

"I have always considered myself a professional man," he continued. "It's my culture.

"I've always learned a lot from others - Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs at United, Raul and Michel Salgado in Madrid, and Figo, Rui Costa, Fernando Couto and Deco in the national team.

"Being professional is a good 70% of the success of a player."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone: Courtois cheap regardless of price

22 January 2014

412684header.jpg

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone says Thibaut Courtois would be "cheap" no matter what price it would take to tie up a permanent deal.

The Belgium international is currently enjoying his third consecutive year on loan at the Liga high-flyers from Premier League title contenders Chelsea.

Courtois left Genk to sign a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge in July 2011, but he has been unable to usurp Petr Cech as the club's first-choice goalkeeper.

Chelsea are understood to be keen on retaining the 21-year-old's services, though rumours have suggested he could move for a fee in the region of €26million.

And Simeone believes the youngster would represent value no matter the cost.

"For me anything we pay for Courtois is cheap," he said.

"He's a young guy with a huge future and is on track to be one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

"Signing a goalkeeper of his calibre would be a big step. It won't be easy. It depends on what Courtois wants.

"We know what the club needs to do but it's not up to us, he's not our player."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas: I will stay at Real Madrid

22 January 2014

412696header.jpg

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas insists his future remains at the Bernabeu and is "bored" by speculation over his future.

The Spain international has only seen action this season in UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey matches, with Diego Lopez taking the number-one spot for La Liga fixtures.

Rumours have persisted that Casillas could seek a move away from the Spanish capital, with Premier League duo Manchester City and Arsenal said to be among his suitors.

But the 32-year-old has strenuously denied the links, and is looking forward to continuing Real's treble pursuit.

"Of course (I see myself at Madrid next year)," he told AS.

"What I have to do is focus on myself. We're in all three competitions. Last season we had a very difficult time. Now I hope to get to April with our fate in our hands on all fronts.

"Even I'm bored talking about my situation now. People should just enjoy the players in the team, those who the coach picks in each competition and on each matchday, and that's that.

"What I have to do is train as well as possible, firstly for myself and then for the team.

"And I have to enjoy myself when I play, because it's a pleasure."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid stay top of money league despite barren year

By Keith Weir
LONDON Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21am GMT

r

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (L) and Karim Benzema (2nd R) battle for the balll against Espanyol's Joan Capdevila (11) and Sidnei Rechel during their King's Cup soccer match at Cornella El Prat stadium, in Barcelona January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Gustau Nacarino

(Reuters) - Spain's Real Madrid retained the title of the world's richest football club in the past year thanks to sponsorship and TV deals robust enough to endure a season without a major trophy, a study showed on Thursday.

Real's revenue of 519 million euros ($704 million) put the club ahead of domestic rivals Barcelona in fiscal 2012/2013, with European champions Bayern Munich edging into third ahead of Manchester United, in the annual Football Money League compiled by accountants Deloitte.

Qatari-owned Paris St Germain (PSG), where former England captain David Beckham ended his career last year, underlined its emergence as a football power with an 81 percent rise in revenue to almost 400 million euros to claim fifth spot.

Revenue for the top 20 teams rose by 8 percent to 5.4 billion euros, Deloitte said, underlining the appeal of football to broadcasters and sponsors targeting mass consumer markets.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are two of the most consistently successful teams in Europe, fielding top players such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi respectively.

The two clubs enjoy the financial advantage of being able to negotiate their own TV deals, rather than pooling TV rights income as teams in other major leagues have to do.

Yet Spain's TV rights model and the country's economic crisis have left many of its smaller clubs facing a struggle to survive and demanding a bigger share of cash from broadcasters.

Speaking to Reuters this week, Barcelona Vice President Carles Vilarrubi said only the bigger teams could deliver the kind of viewing figures TV companies demand.

"It's a question of balance because people want to watch Barca and Real Madrid and PSG and Bayern Munich games," Vilarrubi said.

"We should equalise a little bit the income of the clubs but at the same time we should consider that the TV channels need to offer the games that people want to watch.

POOR FORM

Manchester United won the English premier league for a record 20th time last year, but the team has struggled on the pitch this season and risks missing out on qualification for a place in the lucrative UEFA Champions League.

Despite the poor form, United are set for a big rise in turnover as benefits roll in from improved English Premier League TV contracts and new sponsorship deals. The club is forecasting revenue for the current season of between 420 million pounds ($691.5 million) and 430 million, up from 363 million last season.

"Beyond 2013/14, consistent qualification for the Champions League is key in United challenging to regain top spot in the Money League, a position it last held in 2003/04," said Deloitte's Austin Houlihan.

PSG have used their new-found riches to sign players such as Swedish international Zlatan Ibrahimovic and last May won the French league for the first time since 1994.

"PSG are the fastest climber in this year's Money League, claiming the highest-ever position for a French club," said Houlihan.

The largest part of PSG's income last season came from commercial deals that yielded 255 million euros. Its sponsors include airline Emirates, kit supplier Nike and the Qatar Tourism Authority.

"We expect to see them become a mainstay in the top five in years to come, backed by their ambitious Qatari owners and strong commercial support," Houlihan added.

(Editing by David Holmes)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Factbox: Real Madrid and Barcelona top money league rankings

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21am GMT

r

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (R) lies on the pitch as he looks at team mate Karim Benzema kick the ball against Espanyol during their King's Cup soccer match at Cornella El Prat stadium, in Barcelona January 21, 2014. REUTERS-Gustau Nacarino

(Reuters) - Spanish clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona remain the world's highest revenue-generators among football clubs, Deloitte said in an annual survey published on Thursday.

Following are the top 20 as compiled by Deloitte in its annual Football Money League:

Club Revenue in 2012-13 (million euros)

1. Real Madrid (Spain) 519

2. Barcelona (Spain) 483

3. Bayern Munich (Germany) 431

4. Manchester United (England) 424

5. Paris St Germain (France) 399

6. Manchester City (England) 316

7. Chelsea (England) 303

8. Arsenal (England) 284

9. Juventus (Italy) 272 10. AC Milan (Italy) 264 11. Borussia Dortmund (Germany) 256 12. Liverpool (England) 241 13. Schalke 04 (Germany) 198 14. Tottenham Hotspur (England) 172 15. Inter Milan (Italy) 169 16. Galatasaray (Turkey) 157 17. Hamburg SV (Germany) 135 18. Fenerbahce (Turkey) 126 19. As Roma (Italy) 124 20. Atletico Madrid (Spain) 120

(Editing by David Holmes)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Celta Vigo 4 Real Betis 2

24 January 2014

Gabriel Humberto Calderon's first game as Real Betis head coach ended in a disappointing 4-2 defeat at Celta Vigo on Friday.

Beleaguered Betis - who have only won twice in La Liga this season - took the lead through Ruben Castro on 17 minutes, but were unable to build on that advantage and slumped to a 3-1 half-time deficit at Estadio de Balaidos, with a Fabian Orellana brace sandwiching Charles' effort.

The situation worsened when Nolito put Luis Enrique's charges 4-1 ahead with 17 minutes remaining.

Although Castro notched a consolation, bottom club Betis slumped to a fourth straight defeat and have now gone 14 league matches without a win.

After withstanding sustained Celta pressure, Betis moved into a surprise lead when the unmarked Castro scooped Juanfran's superb cross past goalkeeper Yoel.

But the scores were levelled on 22 minutes when a terrific ball from Rafinha was headed home by Orellana.

The home fans were able to celebrate on two further occasions before the break, as Charles ghosted in at the near post to head home before showing great generosity to lay on Orellana's second.

There was no let up from the home side after the break and Celta deservedly grabbed a fourth when Nolito tapped in from close range.

Betis reduced the arrears in the 78th minute, Castro capitalising on uncertainty in the Celta box to fire home, but it was too little, too late for the visitors.

Calderon's evening worsened in injury time when Cedric Mabwati was shown a straight red card for a dangerous sliding tackle on Rafinha.

The win eases the relegation fears of Celta, who move up to 13th position, six points clear of the drop zone.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Puyol a doubt for Malaga clash

23 January 2014

412890header.jpg

Barcelona have an injury concern over captain Carles Puyol ahead of Sunday's La Liga clash with Malaga after he suffered a bruised leg.

The long-serving central defender was withdrawn 12 minutes into the second half in Wednesday's 4-1 Copa del Rey quarter-final first-leg win at Levante, having taken a knock to his left leg.

Puyol's injury was assessed on Thursday and, although he has not sustained serious damage, the Barca stalwart may not feature this weekend.

A statement on the Catalan club's official website said: "Carles Puyol limped off during last night's game against Levante after a knock on his left leg, which Club doctors examined this morning, before confirming the bruising will make him a doubt for Sunday's game against Malaga.

"The club captain was substituted on 57 minutes after clashing with Levante forward Barral.

"Club doctors treated him pitchside, but he was able to limp back to the changing rooms before being replaced by Javier Mascherano."

Barca have drawn their last two La Liga games and will be eager to get back on track in defence of their title by beating Malaga.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Title race heats up as Barca host Malaga

22 January 2014

412701header.jpg

Barcelona can continue their fine record against Malaga on Sunday as an enthralling La Liga title race continues to heat up.

The defending champions are ahead of second-placed Atletico Madrid on goal difference, with Real Madrid a point further back.

However, with Real facing Granada on Saturday and Atletico's game at Rayo Vallecano taking place two hours before Barca's, Gerardo Martino's men could find themselves in third before kick-off.

Still, although Barca have drawn back-to-back games in La Liga, the hosts should be confident of returning to winning ways against a Malaga side who have not beaten the Catalan club since 2003.

Real have gone 10 league games unbeaten since the 2-1 defeat at Camp Nou in October, and they can put pressure on both Barca and Atletico with another triumph against Granada, who have never won at the Bernabeu.

Atletico make the short trip to Vallecano on an identical run of form to Barca over the last two league games, following a disappointing 1-1 draw with Sevilla last weekend.

But Diego Simeone's men should be confident of atoning for that setback against their relegation-threatened neighbours, who were hammered 5-0 by Atletico back in August.

Athletic Bilbao travel to Osasuna eager to secure a third straight league win and boost their prospects of UEFA Champions League qualification.

Meanwhile, fifth-placed Villarreal - two points behind Bilbao - have a great opportunity to pounce on any slip-up from the Basque club as Marcelino's side visit struggling Real Valladolid.

Real Sociedad will look to revive hopes of a return to the Champions League when Jagoba Arrasate's men host Elche, on the back of a damaging 5-1 defeat to Villarreal and a 2-2 draw with Getafe.

In-form Sevilla could move into the top six with victory over Levante. Elsewhere, Valencia take on Espanyol and Almeria host Getafe.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the Spanish league

6:15 AM Saturday Jan 25, 2014

626-fWB6o.St.55.jpeg

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) In the aftermath of the resignation of president Sandro Rosell, Barcelona will host Malaga on Sunday with its staff and players trying to focus on retaining their share of the Spanish league lead.

Only one point separates Barcelona and co-leader Atletico Madrid from third-place Real Madrid.

Here are five things to know about the Spanish league this weekend:

___

BARCELONA IN TURMOIL

Barcelona plays Malaga three days after president Sandro Rosell stunned the club and fans by announcing he was stepping down. Rosell intends to fight criminal accusations he misappropriated funds by hiding the cost of the transfer to sign Brazil striker Neymar behind false contracts.

It will be the first match for new president Josep Bartomeu. The former vice president took over for Rosell and plans to see out the board's mandate until 2016.

Bartomeu tried to assure Barcelona's fans and players that the sudden change in leadership wouldn't affect the team.

"All our goals and objectives are the same," Bartomeu said. "Our football team and teams in other sports will continue counting on our support and the resource needed to always aspire to the highest level of success."

MADRID MOVING UP

With its fierce rivals immersed in an institutional crisis, Real Madrid hopes it can gain further ground by keeping up its winning streak.

Madrid has taken advantage of Barcelona and Atletico draws their last two games to slash four points off their lead in the last two rounds.

The team hosts Granada on Saturday knowing that a victory will give it the provisional lead.

Granada has proven to be one of the best away sides of the league this season, with more wins (4) than losses (3) on the road.

"The calendar gives us the opportunity to be leaders," Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said. "After having been six points behind, that is important."

RONALDO'S GLORY

Cristiano Ronaldo will parade his recently won Ballon d'Or in front of his fans at Santiago Bernabeu before the match against Granada.

Ronaldo broke into tears when he finally ended Lionel Messi's four-year run of being named the world's best player last week.

The Portugal forward will look to add to his league-leading tally of 21 goals through 20 rounds. He has scored 31 goals in 27 games in all competitions for Madrid.

Granada, however, stifled Ronaldo in their first meeting this season, when Karim Benzema's goal earned Madrid a 1-0 victory.

"Cristiano is a superb player," Granada coach Lucas Alcaraz said. "But since we can't stop Real Madrid from fielding him, what I try to do is to make my players do what we think is best for us within our style of play."

COSTA STALLED

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa is having the best season of his career and he only trails Ronaldo by two with 19 league goals.

But the Brazilian-born forward, who has drawn serious interest from Spain coach Vicente del Bosque to take to the World Cup as a naturalized Spaniard, has yet to score since the start of 2014.

Fortunately for Diego Costa, Atletico visits his former club, Rayo Vallecano, on Sunday in a Spanish capital derby.

Rayo is in second-to-last place and has given up a league-worst 47 goals this season.

FIGHT FOR FOURTH

With the league's big three clubs far ahead of the pack, there are a number of teams left to aspire to a fourth-place finish and the prize of a spot in next season's Champions League.

Just past the season's midway mark, Athletic Bilbao is in fourth place, with Villarreal, Real Sociedad and Sevilla all within six points.

Bilbao faces a tough trip to nearby Osasuna on Sunday. Villarreal travels to Valladolid on Saturday, when Sevilla hosts Levante. Sociedad hosts Elche on Monday.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Real Sociedad 4 Elche 0

27 January 2014

413994header.jpg

Antoine Griezmann scored a hat-trick as Real Sociedad boosted their UEFA Champions League hopes alive with a 4-0 win over Elche.

Winger Griezmann produced a superb performance to guide Jagoba Arrasate's side to a comfortable victory that leaves them within six points of fourth-placed Athletic Bilbao, while Elche are just two points above the relegation zone.

The Frenchman opened the scoring after just three minutes with a lofted finish after he had latched on to an excellent ball from former Arsenal man Carlos Vela.

Sociedad's lead was doubled nine minutes later as the 22-year-old headed home a magnificent right-wing cross from Xabi Prieto.

And the game was put beyond all doubt five minutes into the second half as Mexican Vela found the back of the net with a curling effort from the edge of the area.

The Basque outfit refused to take their foot off the gas, though, Griezmann volleying home to complete his treble on 74 minutes after Tono had failed to collect Imanol Agirretxe's delivery.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona president: Messi is not for sale

27 January 2014

413938header.jpg

New Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted that Lionel Messi is not for sale and will negotiate a new deal with the club.

Messi's future has been the subject of intense speculation this week, with rumours suggesting that Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain are considering a bid for the Argentina attacker, whose contract at the Camp Nou expires in June 2018.

The reports come a month after club vice-president Javier Faus angered the 26-year-old by suggesting that there was "no reason" to review his deal with the Catalan outfit.

Bartomeu took over as president after Sandro Rosell resigned last Thursday amid reports that the Spanish courts are to open investigations into alleged misappropriation of funds surrounding the deal to bring Neymar from Santos to Barca.

And the 50-year-old revealed that he is keen to ensure that Messi is the best paid player in world football.

"He (Messi) is not for sale," Bartomeu told RAC1.

"We want to sit down, without any rush, with Leo's father (to negotiate a new deal).

"It's not something that's happening tomorrow, we have plenty of time, but we will do what we have to ensure he's the best paid player."

Bartomeu also admitted that he attempted to persuade Rosell to stay at the club, despite the furore surrounding the Neymar transfer.

"Along with everyone else, I spent the whole day trying to persuade him (Rosell) but it was impossible," he explained to beIN Sport.

"We believe that he did an excellent job during the years that he was in charge at Barcelona. Now I can only promise hard work, effort and dedication so that Barcelona continues growing as a club every day."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Betis secure Adan signing

27 January 2014

413969header.jpg

Rock-bottom La Liga side Real Betis have signed goalkeeper Antonio Adan following his release from Cagliari.

The 26-year-old was just three months into a nine-month deal when the Serie A outfit announced that his deal had been terminated by mutual consent.

And the former Real Madrid keeper, who briefly replaced Iker Casillas at the Bernabeu, has now joined Gabriel Calderon's Spanish top-flight strugglers.

"The main reason I've decided to come is the feeling this club gives me," Adan said. "After a game against Real Madrid I got the feeling this was a very big club. I'm hugely motivated.''

Adan will be formally unveiled on Wednesday and could make his debut in Sunday's home match against Espanyol.

He insists he is not worried about being thrown into a relegation fight.

"I'm aware of the situation that the club is in but I had to take this step," he added,

"The important thing is to be realistic. The situation is difficult but the first thing is to give everything on the pitch.''

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zidane plans to exit Ancelotti´s shadow

28 January 2014

414007header.jpg

French football legend Zinedine Zidane has expressed his desire to take a head managerial role.

Zidane, 41, has been an assistant to Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti since returning to the Bernabeu in November 2010 but the 108-capped France international said he wants to be more hands on in the future, by having his own team to coach.

"I wanted to reconnect with the excitement that football brings," he told L'Equipe, of his decision to return to Real as a sporting director and assistant coach.

"After what I experienced as a player, I definitely felt the need to be involved every day – feel that pressure again.

"I do not regret my decision to take a step back. I took my children to school every day and did many things with them.

"Things are now clarified in my head – I have realised what I want to do and how I want to do it.

"I want to be useful to Real Madrid but I also want to coach my own team. I achieved a lot as a player but I now want to do the same in my second career.

"I'll be an ambitious coach. My team will be balanced with a tendency to attack. Football can be very simple and that's how I want my team to play."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: Misfiring Messi still crucial for Barca

28 January 2014

414071header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti believes Lionel Messi's importance to Barcelona is undiminished by the Argentina star's struggles in front of goal.

Messi has not scored in La Liga since Barca's 2-0 victory at Almeria in September - a drought of eight games.

The 26-year-old has struggled with injuries this season, and only returned from a two-month lay-off with a hamstring problem earlier this month.

Messi has scored four goals in three Copa del Rey appearances - as well as providing four assists for team-mates - since the turn of the year, though, having appeared to have taken up a more withdrawn role in Gerardo Martino's side.

And Real Madrid coach Ancelotti feels these statistics prove that the four-time FIFA Ballon d'Or winner remains as crucial as ever to Barca's fortunes, regardless of where he lines up.

"I don't know if Messi has changed position," said the Italian.

"He has played well in recent matches and shown that he is fit and has recovered well from his injury.

"He has not scored many goals, but he is still, as he always has been, very important for Barcelona."

Real sit just one point adrift of Liga leaders Barca and Atletico Madrid, and have won nine games in a row in all competitions ahead of Tuesday's Copa del Rey quarter-final second leg against Espanyol.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Trio to leave Valencia as Keita arrives

30 January 2014

414792header.jpg

Valencia have agreed a deal to sign Seydou Keita, while the club have allowed Helder Postiga, Andres Guardado and Dorlan Pabon to move on.

Mali midfielder Keita had been plying his trade in the Chinese Super League with Dalian Aerbin until the end of last year, but the former Barcelona man is now set to return to La Liga.

Valencia announced on Thursday that the former Sevilla and Lens man will move to the Mestalla until the end of the current campaign, with the option of a further year.

A statement on Valencia's website said: "Midfielder Seydou Keita has agreed to join Valencia CF on a permanent basis, through to June 30th of this year with an option for an additional season."

As Keita arrives, Portugal striker Postiga is on the verge of joining Serie A club Lazio.

The 31-year-old only joined Valencia in August but will move to the Rome club until the end of the season, subject to a medical, with a view to a permanent deal.

Colombia striker Pabon has sealed a loan move to Brazilian giants Sao Paulo until the end of June after passing a medical.

Midfielder Guardado is set to undergo a medical at Bayer Leverkusen after a deal was struck to spend the remainder of the campaign with the Bundesliga club.

Leverkusen will also have the option of signing the Mexican on a permanent basis when his loan deal ends.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Barcelona v Valencia

30 January 2014

414820header.jpg

Barcelona have the opportunity to steal an early march on their title rivals when Valencia visit Camp Nou on Saturday.

With the two Madrid clubs - Atletico and Real - not playing until Sunday, Gerardo Martino's men can temporarily move three points clear at the summit with a victory.

Barca returned to winning ways against Malaga last time out in the league, having been held to draws in their previous two fixtures.

And history weighs heavily in the hosts' favour in this fixture, with Valencia returning winless from Barca's home ground in all visits since 2003.

The reverse fixture - held in September - ended 3-2 to Barcelona, with Lionel Messi scoring a hat-trick for the visitors, and Helder Postiga grabbing a quick-fire brace to complete the scoring before half-time.

Valencia's form has been unpredictable this season and they have picked up just two league wins on the road, while Martino's charges have a 100 per cent winning record from 10 home matches in La Liga this season.

In contrast to Barca, who are yet to do any business in the January transfer window, Valencia have been at the centre of a number of comings and goings

This week saw the Mestalla outfit agree a deal to sign Seydou Keita, while the club allowed Postiga, Andres Guardado and Dorlan Pabon to move on.

Valencia also sealed the permanent signature of Ruben Vezo and a loan deal for Napoli's Eduardo Vargas earlier in the month.

Barca sealed their progression to the Copa del Rey semi-finals with a 9-2 aggregate demolition of Levante on Wednesday, while Valecnia will have had a weeks to recover from their last league fixture - a 2-2 draw with Espanyol.

Neymar (ankle) is the hosts' only major absence through injury, while Valencia are not thought to have any fresh injury concerns.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the Spanish league

4:29 AM Friday Jan 31, 2014

dad71491f5e33d034a0f6a706700a9f7_s640x427.jpg

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldol, right, in action with Espanyol's Sergio Garcia, left, during a Copa del Rey soccer match between Real Madrid and Espanyol at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Spain, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)

MADRID (AP) The three-way chase for the Spanish league title continues with some tricky opponents for co-leaders Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, and closest chaser Real Madrid.

Barcelona welcomes mid-table Valencia while Atletico Madrid is also home to sixth-place Real Sociedad. Madrid has the toughest task of the three with a trip to the new San Mames Stadium to face fourth-place Athletic Bilbao.

Barcelona and Atletico lead on 54 points from 21 games, while Madrid trails the pair by a single point.

Here are five things to look for this weekend:

___

LEAGUE FIRST

Atletico became the first team to win at Athletic Bilbao's new stadium in the Copa del Rey this week, and Madrid would like to follow up that result by handing the Basques their first league defeat at home.

Madrid hopes to have Gareth Bale and Raphael Varane ready for Sunday's matchup, which marks Sergio Ramos' 10-year anniversary in the league.

The Real Madrid defender has played 545 times for Madrid and earned 115 caps for Spain by the age of 27.

___

DWINDLING BARCA SUPPORT

Barcelona will be hoping fans show up for Saturday's match against Valencia after just over 25,000 spectators one quarter of the Camp Nou's capacity showed up for Wednesday's 5-1 domestic cup win over Levante.

Lionel Messi did not come off the bench, so expect him to play on Saturday as the team tries to stay focused despite off-field issues.

President Sandro Rosell resigned after a criminal investigation into his signing of Neymar was launched, with Brazilian prosecutors also investigating the transfer. Messi is expected to get a pay rise, while the club has also failed to see club members approve a new stadium project.

Despite all of the distractions, Barcelona doesn't seem to miss a beat on the field as it is unbeaten in 13 matches with 11 victories.

___

TRANSITIONAL VALENCIA

Valencia defender Jeremy Mathieu summed up the club's dismal season best when he described it as a "transitional" one.

The Mediterranean coastal club is 17 points adrift of the Champions League places in 10th and is desperate to find a buyer for the club with hundreds of millions of euros in debt hanging over it.

Valencia said on Thursday it was set to sign former Barcelona midfielder Seydo Keita of Mali, while forward Eduardo Vargas is also reported to be joining from Napoli.

The club's bid to shake up its campaign has seen it loan out forwards Dorlan Pabon, Andres Guardado, and Helder Postiga, while midfielder Sergio Canales is also close to making an exit.

___

TOUGH ATLETICO

Atletico will go into Sunday's game at the Vicente Calderon without fullback Filipe Luis because of a right hamstring injury, while teenage midfielder Oliver Torres will also not play.

Atletico's tremendous season has been spared serious injuries, but the grind of playing in three competitions was expected to catch up with the team eventually.

Still, the players aren't looking for excuses.

"We are a team of men," midfielder Raul Garcia said. "We're conscious of what we're playing for, what's at stake."

Striker Diego Costa at last found the net for the first time since Dec. 21 by scoring in Wednesday's 2-1 victory at Bilbao that put the defending champions into the Copa del Rey semifinals.

___

TRANSFER TALK

With just two days left in the transfer window, Spanish clubs were looking for last-minute deals to boost their chances of avoiding relegation.

Valencia was the biggest mover on Thursday with its announcement of having signed Keita, but last-place Real Betis was also vying to shake itself out of its season-long slumber.

Betis signed 23-year-old Alfred N'Diaye of Senegal and former Madrid goalie Antonio Adan, while Malaga acquired Nordim Amrabat from Galatasaray.

Valladolid, which is in the last demotion spot, pulled out of a deal to sign former Liverpool and Juventus player Mohamed Sissoko after several days of medical examinations on his knee offered little reassurance.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Home run over for Barca, Malaga beat Sevilla

1 February 2014

415178header.jpg

Barcelona saw their 25-match winning run at home in La Liga come to an end on Saturday as Valencia beat the champions 3-2 at Camp Nou.

On a day when Spanish football remembered former national team coach Luis Aragones, who died on Saturday, Gerardo Martino's side got off to a fine start as Alexis Sanchez's seventh-minute effort fortuitously beat Valencia keeper Diego Alves and, although they generally dominated the first half, the visitors drew level just before the break.

Dani Parejo finished off a move he started to peg the hosts back and the diminutive Pablo Piatti put Juan Antonio Pizzi's men ahead with a header early in the second half.

Lionel Messi then equalised for Barca from the penalty spot on 54 minutes after Ricardo Costa was adjudged to have handled in the area, ending a run of three matches in all competitions without a goal, but Paco Alcacer guided Sofiane Feghouli's cross past Victor Valdes five minutes later to put Valencia back in front..

Jordi Alba was sent off for the hosts with 12 minutes to go as Valencia held out to become the first La Liga side apart from Real Madrid to leave the Camp Nou with three points since Hercules won 2-0 in September 2010.

The result opens the door for Real and Atletico Madrid to leapfrog Barca in the table with victories in their fixtures on Sunday.

Atletico face Real Sociedad at home before Real travel to Athletic Bilbao.

Malaga climbed to 13th after coming from behind to beat Sevilla.

The hosts went ahead in the 31st minute at La Rosaleda when Duda found the net from the penalty spot after Coke had been penalised for tripping the Portuguese in the box.

Sevilla then fought back to take the lead with goals from Carlos Bacca and Federico Fazio, before Garcia pulled Malaga level.

But, having opened the scoring, Duda had the final say, powering home from inside the penalty area in the 85th minute to snatch all three points for his side.

Tempers flared on the touchline as the match drew to a conclusion, but Sevilla went home empty handed, failing to win for a third consecutive match.

Elsewhere, strugglers Rayo Vallecano and Real Valladolid picked up valuable points in goalless draws at Levante and Getafe respectively.