• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho thanks Abramovich for vote of confidence

8 October 2015 12:40

924484header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has thanks Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich for sticking with him despite the club's woeful start to the season.

Chelsea's Premier League title defence looks dead in the water after their opening eight games of 2015-16 returned as many points – leaving Mourinho's men 16th in the table.

Defeat to Porto in the Champions League has also done little to lift the mood at Stamford Bridge, where Mourinho has fallen out with his players and backroom staff already this term.

But a club statement earlier this week confirmed that Mourinho remained their first-choice to lead the team – and the Portuguese is determined to make the most of Abramovich's faith.

Mourinho told Gazzetta dello Sport: "This fills me with pride. It shows the faith [Roman] Abramovich has in a manager who has won three Premier League titles. I thank him and will continue to work hard.

"Chelsea's results are really poor at this time.

"I can't, and have no desire of hiding the truth. I'm struggling to come up with an explanation.

"However, I can assure you we are working harder than ever and we will improve. We also have the Champions League that we aren’t giving up on."

Mourinho also hit back at claims from Fabio Capello that his methods lead to burnout among players.

"I read what Capello said," Mourinho retorted.

"I think that a coach with his experience would have been better served to talk about football without mentioning the work of a colleague.

"Maybe I should have commented on his work with the English national team or Russia, but I’ve never done that. I prefer to show respect for my colleagues.

"I'd rather talk about Capello and his great career that has been full of success."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp arrival prompts Liverpool backroom staff clear-out

2048452_heroa.jpg

By Jamie Dunn
Oct 8, 2015 17:50:00

Sean O'Driscoll, Glenn Driscoll and Chris Davies have all left the club, while Gary McAllister has taken up an ambassadorial role at Anfield following Brendan Rodgers' sacking

Liverpool have confirmed the departures of several first team coaches as Jurgen Klopp prepares to take over at Anfield.

Brendan Rodgers oversaw an overhaul of the coaching set-up at Melwood over the summer as Sean O'Driscoll and Gary McAllister arrived at Anfield as part of a shake-up.

But, following Rodgers' departure, assistant manager O'Driscoll, head of performance Glenn Driscoll and head of opposition analysis Chris Davies have all left the club.

McAllister, meanwhile, will stay at the club in an ambassadorial role.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks to all four men for the professionalism, commitment and dedication they have displayed during their time here, and the positive impact they have had in helping to support football operations and the team," a Liverpool statement read.

Goal understands Klopp has agreed a three-year deal to take over at Liverpool following the sacking of Rodgers after the 1-1 draw with Everton in the Merseyside derby.

Klopp is understood to have flown into Liverpool, and the club has announced a press conference for 10am on Friday October 9.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp agent: No contact before Rodgers sacking

jurgen-klopp-liverpool_1laz0devhz58i1llp091v0bsgi.png

By Jon Fisher
Oct 10, 2015 12:29:34

The agent of the new Anfield boss indicated that the German did not receive and approach prior to the Northern Irishman's dismissal

Jurgen Klopp 's agent has insisted contact from Liverpool was only made following the dismissal of Brendan Rodgers , despite Reds chairman Tom Werner's admission that they had admired the German for "a long time".

Rodgers was sacked last Sunday after the 1-1 Merseyside derby draw at Everton, with Klopp named as his replacement four days later.

Despite the short timeframe, Klopp's representative Marc Kosicke is adamant Liverpool - and owners Fenway Sports Group - did not go behind Rodgers' back.

"The first call from Liverpool came after the dismissal as coach of Rodgers", Kosicke told Bild .

"Before Liverpool there were naturally quite a few inquiries. But Jurgen always asked me not to take it any further."

Klopp enjoyed a hugely successful seven years at Dortmund, during which he won two Bundesliga titles and the DFB-Pokal.

That record - and his charismatic persona - apparently meant he was always on Werner's radar.

And although he refused to confirm Kosicke's version of events, Werner previously confirmed that he was a long-term admirer of the former Borussia Dortmund coach.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferguson explains the REAL message behind Jose Mourinho's seven-minute rant

2003572_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 10, 2015 18:15:00

The former Manchester United boss believes the motive behind the 52-year-old's diatribe was an attempt to gain support from Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich

Sir Alex Ferguson believes the real reason behind Jose Mourinho’s now infamous seven-minute rant was to send a message to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

The Premier League champions have registered just two wins from their opening eight games, and following their defeat at home to Southampton before the international break, Mourinho delivered a lengthy speech in which he insisted that he would not “run away from responsibilities”.

But the former Manchester United boss believes real motive behind Mourinho’s post-match interview was an attempt to establish whether he had the full backing of Chelsea’s hierarchy.

“I was studying Jose on that situation, when he had his press conference, and I was wondering whether he wanted the confidence of Roman Abramovich by saying that: ‘look, do you really believe in me? This is your opportunity to believe me’. I think he was putting a challenge out to Roman,” Ferguson told the Morning Joe show.

“Because I think at times there is a loneliness about managing a club like Chelsea. I had periods like that at United and you feel you’ve got to get the support from the people on top of you, the head of the organisation, and I think that’s what Jose was doing.

“I will say this, and I know him well, he will find a solution, because that’s what good managers do, they find the solution. For instance, when we lost the league, five times we lost it when we were second, the next year we won it. We created a solution to make sure it didn’t happen again. And I think he will do that."

When asked if he felt Mourinho could still guide Chelsea to a top-four place, Ferguson replied: “Yes, absolutely no question about that. He’ll find the solution because he’s a top manager. He’s a clever guy, and one thing I always noticed about his teams - they all try for him, you don’t have any shirkers in his teams. And that epitomises his way of managing.”

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sir Alex reveals why Man Utd rejected Silva

manchester-city-v-manchester-united-02112014_qi8fla7k14xq1tl6mjiqvawow.jpg

By Sam Marsden
Oct 11, 2015 11:54:26

The 73-year-old, who was tracking the midfielder while at Valencia, had doubts over the player's ability to contribute defensively as Manchester City paid £24 million in 2010

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Manchester United opted out of signing David Silva because of doubts over the Manchester City man's ability to contribute in defence.

The 29-year-old was playing for Valencia at the time and being followed by a number of Europe’s biggest clubs, before joining City for a reported £24 million in the summer of 2010.

Silva has since made over 200 appearances for City, helping them win two league titles and the FA Cup, but Sir Alex was unconvinced by the player's ability to fit in with his team's mentality at Old Trafford.

"We watched Silva a lot when he was at Valencia," the Scotsman revealed in an interview promoting his new book.

"My problem with [Silva playing as a No.10] was you have to be very, very good to play in that position, because there's no defensive duties for them.

"So if you're wanting to be be really successful, everyone has to take their turn, has to work, you know? So I had a difficulty with that."

Ferguson, however, did concede that a number of the game's finest players built their reputations in the No.10 position.

He added: "You could say Lionel Messi was a No.10 type, [Diego] Maradona, some fantastic players, and I don't dispute that.

"But at United we always found it difficult. The kind of No.10 I used came from my experience as a footballer."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman: Mourinho must learn from Wenger's 'fantastic football'

jose-mourinho-porto-chelsea-champions-league-29092015_1v78b7temb5ko10g4f9p5n0iuz.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Oct 11, 2015 00:59:38

Having beaten Chelsea 3-1 in the last Premier League matchday, the Southampton boss has criticised his counterpart for being unnecessarily defensive

Chelsea have been criticised for being too defensive-minded by Southampton boss Ronald Koeman, who thinks Jose Mourinho should teach “fantastic football” like Arsene Wenger has Arsenal playing.

The Saints piled additional misery on Mourinho's men when they triumphed 3-1 at Stamford Bridge last weekend, leaving the Blues rooted fifth-from-bottom in the Premier League after eight games.

Koeman believes Chelsea's tactical approach of retreating after taking the lead rather than going for the opposition's jugular doesn't work in their favour, and hit out at Mourinho for relentlessly moaning about officiating.

"Chelsea prefer to defend when attacking is also an option," he is quoted as saying in the Sunday Mirror.

"Mourinho always chooses to defend. Even if his team goes 1-0 up, they would rather defend their lead than try to score more goals.

"Yet Arsenal can kill an opponent. That is why their victory against Manchester United was so impressive.

"Attacking-wise, they completely destroyed United. For 20 minutes, they played the most fantastic football, while Chelsea do the opposite thing.

"By defending, Chelsea give their opponent a chance to come back in the game. It was a shame that Mourinho was putting attention on the referee after we beat them.

"He wanted to have a penalty in the first half. But, in the first half at Stamford Bridge, Southampton should have had two penalties."

Chelsea defeated Arsenal 2-0 in September – one of only two wins so far in the league this campaign – as Mourinho's verbal feud with Gunners boss Wenger continued.

Arsenal are second Manchester City in the table and have 16 points compared to Chelsea's eight in 2015-16, though their Champions League fortunes are considerably more dire than their London rivals.

While Chelsea are one point off the top of their standings in Europe, Arsenal have lost successive games against Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiacos ahead of back-to-back clashes with Bayern Munich, leaving them perilously placed.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferguson: Arsenal have stopped progressing under Wenger

arsene-wenger-arsenal-sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united-2009_1hafkwtslhvry1tp1qjkrzhsdk.jpg

By Sam Marsden
Oct 11, 2015 14:24:07

The former Manchester United boss believes the Gunners have struggled to move forward, although he warns that a change of manager might not be the answer

Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested that Arsenal have failed to progress under Arsene Wenger in recent seasons but feels there is no one capable of replacing him.

While they have won the last two FA Cups, the Gunners haven’t won the Premier League since 2004 and are in danger of exiting this year’s Champions League at the group stage, having lost their first two matches in the competition.

A contingent of Arsenal fans have been calling for Wenger to leave the club, though many have faith in the man who has guided them to three league titles and six FA Cups.

While Ferguson hinted that the north London side have not developed for some time, he feels they would struggle to replace the Frenchman if he were sacked.

"If I hadn't progressed Manchester United after the double-winning 1994 team or the treble-winning 1999 team, I would maybe have had the same problems as Arsene is facing now,” the 73-year-old said in an interview with ESPN.

“But he's stayed with his conviction, he's stayed with what he believes in.”

"Who are they going to get to replace Arsene Wenger, you know? Who are they going to get who is better than Arsene Wenger?

“And that's why they haven't sacked him, that's why they've stuck by him.”

The former United boss added that there’s no evidence to prove that sacking managers produces success, urging sides to give their under-performing coaches more time.

“If you can retain the manager for long periods, you can get consistency and you can get success,” he advised.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: I can't walk on water like Jesus

2054202_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Oct 11, 2015 07:41:00

The ex-Borussia Dortmund boss has called for fans and media to have realistic expectations, but he is confident he can improve Liverpool after succeeding Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has called for patience amid the wave of hysteria sweeping through Anfield, insisting he cannot work miracles.

Klopp ended his four-month sabbatical to replace Brendan Rodgers as Reds boss on Thursday and the charismatic German has already been billed as the man capable of finally bringing the glory days back to Liverpool.

The ex-Borussia Dortmund coach is aware of the hype surrounding him as well as Liverpool's 25-year wait for a league title, and while he believes he can improve the team, he has called for fans and media to have realistic expectations.

"If you want to see Liverpool be more successful than in the last 25 years, you can do your small part, of course," said Klopp.

"If you want to portray me like Jesus, but then the next day say, 'no, he can't walk on water', then we have a problem.

"I can't walk on water. I dive into it.

"Expectations are important in life. After all this hype, we can cool down and talk about football. But expectations are one of the most important things we have to talk about.

"Liverpool fans have been waiting for so many years that I can understand they are losing patience, but it doesn't work like that. Some things will change, because I am different to other managers, but we cannot change the whole world in one day.

"I don't want to use my three-year contract as an excuse and after that three years say, 'Well, now we can rise up'. No, I want to change as many things as soon as possible, but it is really important that we are patient enough to be successful."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard: Mourinho wanted to send out a message by dropping me

eden-hazard-cropped_16esydubb551a1hux8ssw8d2oe.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Oct 11, 2015 11:04:11

The Chelsea attacker admits his underwhelming form this season means he is no longer untouchable at the English champions, who have struggled to get going this season

Eden Hazard admits he is no longer untouchable at Chelsea after a string of underwhelming performances this campaign.

The Belgium international was one of the best performers in the Premier League last term and won a host of individual trophies as he helped Chelsea to the league title.

However, he has been unable to replicate that form in 2015-16 so far and has received his fair share of criticism in recent weeks.

Hazard recently acknowledged that he has been struggling this season and he now believes he is no longer an undisputed starter.

"It is true that I am no longer untouchable. You can be untouchable when you are playing well, but that has not been the case this season," the 24-year-old was quoted as saying by La Derniere Heure.

"I was even benched against Porto. I think the coach wanted to send out a message by dropping me.

"But we have a large squad at Chelsea and we will need everyone."

Chelsea's poor run of form has seen manager Jose Mourinho's position come under threat, but Hazard remains confident the Portuguese can turn things around.

"I do not read everything that he says and everything that is being written about him, but I am not worried too much for him," he added.

"Mourinho is the best coach in the world to deal with this kind of pressure."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferguson lends under-pressure Mourinho support

10 October 2015 20:11

926074header.jpg

Alex Ferguson has backed Jose Mourinho to turn Chelsea's fortunes around and insists he has the support of owner Roman Abramovich.

The defending Premier League champions sit 16th in the table with just two victories from their first eight games, while defeat to Porto at the end of September leaves them third in their Champions League group.

Following a 3-1 loss to Southampton in their previous outing, the Portuguese coach insisted that he would not 'walk away from his responsibilities' during a fiery post-match press conference.

But the sympathetic former Manchester United boss does not feel Mourinho's rant was necessary and is certain he has the backing of the club and can turn things around.

"I think that Jose's press conference the other day was challenging the owner to support him in a bad time," Ferguson told American show Morning Joe.

"At times you maybe don't think you're getting complete support from everyone, but it happens. It's not always correct, and I don't think it's correct what Jose's thinking at the moment - I think he's got the support.

"He will find a solution. It may take a few weeks, but you've got to remember, he's lost his goalkeeper [Thibaut] Courtois, who's a fantastic goalkeeper.

"John Terry is in a little difficulty adjusting to his last season maybe, who knows - he played every game last season, the best central defender they've ever had - and he's in a difficult time.

"So if the spine of your team is not what it normally is, do you expect to get consistent results? I don't think so."

Chelsea will return to action after the international break with the visit of Aston Villa to Stamford Bridge on October 17.

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allardyce calls on past experience in Sunderland survival bid

11 October 2015 17:44

926581header.jpg

Sam Allardyce reckons he has what it takes to guide Sunderland away from danger in the Premier League, having achieved the feat with other clubs in the past.

The former West Ham manager was appointed as Dick Advocaat's replacement at the Stadium of Light on Friday, signing a two-year contract.

He assumes control of a side still without a win from their opening eight top-flight matches and only kept off the bottom of the table by fierce rivals Newcastle United.

Allardyce's first game in charge will be against West Brom next weekend, before welcoming Newcastle for his opening match on home soil.

"We all know what a difficult position Sunderland are in, but I look forward to the challenge as always," Allardyce told Sky Sports.

"People always look at me and see what I've done at West Ham and Blackburn, which is a similar resurrection to what I've got to do at Sunderland.

"Get them out of trouble as soon as I can and up that league because this year is obviously very important time for everyone based on the new [television rights] deal coming in next season.

"I've got to get going and get stuck into the players, stuck into the staff and start getting everyone working my way and hopefully my way will be as good for Sunderland as it has been for the other clubs I have worked at, particularly West Ham."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Reus & Gundogan to Liverpool? Dortmund say Klopp is no poacher

jurgenklopp-cropped_1e17vj481dcx61chpiyh57rcen.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Oct 11, 2015 17:25:00

Reports have suggested that the new man on Merseyside could seek a reunion with some of his key lieutenants back in BVB, but any notion of foul play was dismissed by the club

Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke is not concerned newly appointed Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp will attempt to lure any of his former players to Anfield without the Bundesliga side's consent.

Klopp enjoyed a successful spell in charge of Dortmund between 2008 and 2015 and still holds a fine relationship with many members of the Bundesliga team.

Recent reports have suggested Klopp could try to lure Marco Reus and Ilkay Gundogan to Liverpool, but Dortmund are confident their former coach would not approach any players without previously contacting his ex-club.

"Jurgen would never do anything that would damage BVB's interests," Watzke told Bild am Sonntag.

"I am 100 per cent certain about that. He would never approach any players behind our back.

"We are simply too close for things like that to happen. We have been through too much together."

Liverpool have not won the title since 1990, but Watzke is confident Klopp can guide them to silverware again.

"This is a great move for both Jurgen and Liverpool. He can get them back to greatness. We don't even have to talk about that.

"I am convinced that he will be as successful at Liverpool as he was at Dortmund."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tim Sherwood fighting to save Aston Villa job as crunch matches against Chelsea and Swansea loom

Villa manager will wield axe in an attempt to convince board he is the right man to turn club around

tim_sherwood_aston_3469361b.jpg

Is Sherwood the right man to save Aston Villa? Photo: REX FEATURES

By John Percy
10:30PM BST 10 Oct 2015

Tim Sherwood is fighting to save his job and ready to get ruthless with Aston Villa's summer signings as he prepares for potentially pivotal matches against Chelsea and Swansea City.

Less than five months after leading the club to the FA Cup final, Sherwood has lost six of the last seven Premier League games and is under mounting pressure to convince the club's hierarchy he can mastermind a revival in form.

jack_grealish_asto_3469363b.jpg

Will Jack Grealish earn a recall?

Sherwood met with chief executive Tom Fox on Tuesday at the club’s training ground to discuss recent results and the Villa board have argued the squad should be doing better after such a substantial overhaul of 12 new players arriving in the summer.

But despite such a drastic reshaping of the squad, Villa appear on course for another relegation battle and the manager is understood to be growing increasingly concerned that some of those signings lack the qualities for English football.

Villa only escaped the drop last season by three points and then sold key players Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph, spending just £7million net to strengthen the squad.

Adama_Traore_of_As_3469364b.jpg

Adama Traore has impressed in behind closed doors friendlies

Sherwood was keen to recruit proven Premier League players, including Esteban Cambiasso and Aaron Lennon, yet the club went for youngsters from overseas with sell-on potential in a strategy spearheaded by head of recruitment Paddy Reilly and newly appointed sporting director Hendrik Almstadt.

But the 46-year-old is now prepared to take many of those new recruits out of the firing line in a desperate bid to save his job.

Villa will face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge next weekend, followed by what already looks a crucial home game against Swansea, and Sherwood is set to drastically shake up his squad with the likes of Jack Grealish, Carles Gil and even Charles N’Zogbia poised for recalls.

time_sherwood_asto_3469360b.jpg

It has been a frustrating start to the season

N'Zogbia, 29, infuriated Villa fans last week with a tweet about his earnings but will be in contention for a starting place when he returns to full fitness. He has not played since the 4-0 defeat to Arsenal in the FA Cup Final at Wembley.

Adama Traore, the £7million summer signing from Barcelona, could also be involved after impressing in two behind-closed-doors friendlies this week.

Sherwood also faces former club Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City in the next four weeks and is determined to return to the attacking principles that enabled Villa to survive last season.

He said: “I like to try to win enough games rather than going out there not to be beaten.

aaron_lennon_aston_3469362b.jpg

Sherwood had targeted Aaron Lennon this summer

“I’ve done that a few times and you end up getting beaten anyway so I’d rather go to win, but I need to find a team of players who can go to places like Stamford Bridge and not be scared, put up a fight and be brave on the pitch.

“The games are ticking off and we need to start winning. Now I have to find the ingredients and put them on the pitch at the right time against the right opposition and try to get a spark.”

Villa’s 1-0 home defeat to Stoke City last Saturday left them third bottom and already four points behind 17th placed West Bromwich Albion.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal one of the best, but not my cup of tea - De Boer

vangaal-cropped_6mnjt68fxvoy1ftofpoz5fhss.jpg

By Chris Myson
Oct 14, 2015 09:50:55

The Ajax coach has backed his former boss to be a success at Manchester United, even if he does not agree with some of his methods

Frank de Boer believes Louis van Gaal is one of the best coaches in world football, even if the Manchester United manager's style is not always to his liking.

The Ajax boss played for his experienced Old Trafford counterpart with the Eredivisie side, Barcelona and Netherlands national team and feels his former mentor will be a success if he is given sufficient time to implement his methods.

De Boer admits some of Van Gaal's confrontations with the media are not his "cup of tea", and the United boss should sometimes steer clear of arguing with the press.

"That is not my cup of tea how he always tries to fight with the press," De Boer told Omnisport.

"I think sometimes you have to let it rest and don't make an issue about it.

"But he doesn't like if somebody isn't fair against him and he will try to attack them with words if they are not honest.

"For me I'm only concerned about is the first-team players and everything that is around - yeah, I read things - but the only thing that I can do is train with my team and I don't have influence on what people outside are saying.

"So sometimes I think 'let it rest'. He always goes into it but that does give entertainment to the press and that's nice."

De Boer has little doubt as to whether the 64-year-old – who is now in his second season with United – will prove successful.

"I think he is managing very well, always protecting his players and wanting them to always give 100 per cent," he said.

"If they do that I think he is one of the best trainers in the world. I think he also learned a lot in the last couple of years about what he has to do if he is in a foreign country

"He will get what he wants if he gets time and everybody believes his philosophy."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sanchez rubbishes exit rumours amid Real Madrid reports

15 October 2015

928723header.jpg

Arsenal striker Alexis Sanchez says he has not considered leaving the club amid speculation Real Madrid are interesting in signing him.

The Chile international was the subject of reports suggesting Madrid were set to bid for the former Barcelona man, who continued his fine form with three goals during the international break.

After a slow start to the season with Arsenal, Sanchez now has nine goals in his last five games for club and country.

Three goals while on international duty helped Chile to wins over Brazil and Peru in their opening World Cup qualifiers, with Sanchez now focused on his return to club action.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of his return to England, the 26-year-old told reporters: "I'm very happy at Arsenal, I don't think about leaving.

"I always want to be the best at everything I do. I'm never happy with what I do, I always want to give more."

Sanchez scored 25 goals in all competitions during his debut season with the north London club last term - helping Arsenal defend the FA Cup as Arsene Wenger's men finished third in the Premier League.

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool youngster Gomez set for surgery on ACL injury

joegomez-cropped_1vglc0htli1ev10qbz7er6xu6c.jpg

By Dom Farrell
Oct 15, 2015 14:23:58

The England Under-21 international could be out of action for the rest of the season after rupturing his ligaments against Kazakhstan

Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Liverpool youngster Joe Gomez suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury while on international duty with England Under-21s.

The 18-year-old defender ruptured his right ACL in a challenge with Abat Aimbetov during Tuesday's 3-0 win over Kazakhstan at the Ricoh Arena.

Despite initial hopes that the injury might not be serious, Gomez underwent scans upon his return to Liverpool which confirmed he would face an operation that could mean between six to nine months on the sidelines.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of the Premier League game against Tottenham, new Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: "We had 'not perfect' information in terms of young Joe Gomez.

"What a wonderful young boy Gomez is. He has done his ACL. Now we have to wait. He will have surgery. This is his home.

"We have to wait for further diagnosis."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool forward Ings hit by cruciate ligament injury

15 October 2015

928908header.jpg

Liverpool forward Danny Ings is set to miss the rest of the season after sustaining a cruciate knee ligament injury, the club have confirmed.

Ings suffered the setback during his first training session under new Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp on Wednesday, having made his senior England debut as a substitute in Monday's 3-0 win over Lithuania.

The news provides another early blow to Klopp as it follows defender Joe Gomez being struck down with a similar injury while playing for England Under-21s against Kazakhstan on Tuesday.

Ings has scored three times since joining Liverpool from Burnley during the close season and the 23-year-old's impressive form at Anfield opened up the possibility of playing for his country at Euro 2016 - hopes that now appear to lie in tatters.

He joins Christian Benteke (hamstring) on the sidelines, leaving Daniel Sturridge to lead the line during Klopp's first game in charge at Tottenham on Saturday, despite having only recently ended his own injury ordeal.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benteke and Firmino ruled out of Tottenham clash

christian-benteke-cropped_nxhppfgelrew167ag2d3d8clr.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 15, 2015 14:35:41

Jurgen Klopp will be without the Belgium and Brazil internationals, who have been sidelined with hamstring and back injuries respectively

Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Christian Benteke and Roberto Firmino will miss his first match in charge of Liverpool against Tottenham on Saturday.

Benteke has been absent for Liverpool's last four games after suffering a hamstring injury in the 1-1 draw with Norwich City, while Brazil international Firmino has been sidelined with a back problem since the League Cup clash against Carlisle United on September 23.

Klopp has ruled both attackers out of the Spurs clash but expects to welcome them back to first-team training next week.

"Benteke and Firmino are back on the pitch, not team training but better and better. I don't know exactly when they will come back, but I hope to see next week them in team training. Hopefully it can go quick, and they will be ready for playing," he said on Thursday.

"For sure, not Saturday, and I don't think Thursday [against Rubin Kazan]. For next Sunday, ask me next week!"

Klopp has called for patience regarding his hopes for the remainder of the season as he aims to rebuild the confidence within the side.

"Everything is different at the moment. We want to look different, for sure," he said.

"But to get really tuned as a team, that takes time. I'm not interested in the problems we could have on Saturday. After this game we will know more.

"The biggest problem we have, I met people who say 'we can win the league, we can win the league' and the others look and think 'what have you done'.

"We want to get back trust, and confidence. More and more and more. It sometimes needs more time. A good example is the Villa game, when Milly [James Milner] scored after two minutes, and everything changed at this moment.

"You will find a way if you are patient enough, and don't think 'oh my God it is like last week, last year, whatever'. I want to get the players to trust themselves. I'm here because of them, because I can help these guys. We have to work together."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers returns! Sacked Liverpool boss lands new job

2039922_heroa.jpg

Oct 15, 2015 11:30:00

The 42-year-old was replaced at Anfield by Jurgen Klopp but not content with being out of work, he is set for a pundit role at Qatari-owned beIN Sports television network

By Alex Young

Brendan Rodgers has been out of work for just 11 days but the sacked Liverpool manager has already landed a new role - as a TV pundit.

The 42-year-old was shown the door at Anfield following a 1-1 draw with Everton on October 4 and has since been spotted snoozing on an EasyJet flight to Marbella as he takes advantage of his free time.

Rodgers has been linked with an immediate return to football with Tim Sherwood under pressure at Aston Villa but, according to anchor Richard Keys, he is set to join the team at the Qatar-owned beIN Sports network.

eGs9IQM.jpg

Keys has been vocal in his criticism of Rodgers while at Liverpool, specifically over a percieved stand-off between the then-manager and former club captain Steven Gerrard earlier in 2015. Awkward.

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gazidis defends Arsenal strategy: It is not an arms race!

2082852_heroa.jpg

Oct 15, 2015 12:15:00

The chief executive insists the Gunners will never try and out-spend their rivals, but instead marry signing elite players, like Alexis Sanchez, with developing youngsters

By Greg Stobart

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has launched a defence of the club's transfer strategy at their AGM on Thursday.

The north London club were widely criticised for failing to sign a single outfield player over the summer, with their £10m spend on goalkeeper Petr Cech dwarfed by the massive fees paid by Manchester City, United and Chelsea.

Gazidis insists the club will not spend money purely for the sake of it, though, and says the decision to buy a player falls ultimately to manager Arsene Wenger, pointing to the signings of Cech, Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez as indications of the club's ambition.

"We know with certainty that we will not be able to beat our competition by getting in an arms race trying to outspend our rivals," Gazidis said. "It would be a waste of hard-earned resources.

"We’ve been very active in the transfer market in recent seasons, transforming our squad in the process. We have a relatively young, very talented and very deep squad this season.

"All transfers are ultimately football decisions and those are made by our manager who has an outstanding record of identifying and developing talent.

"We’ve consistently added to our squad in recent seasons and invested record sums in doing so with unstinting support from [majority shareholder Stan] Kroenke and the board.

"We’ve been disciplined in our strategy of being talent-led, not money-led. We only sign players who will add to the squad, and not simply because we have money to spend. Our squad is deeper and stronger as a result of their efforts.

"All of those players signed in the last four years, with the exception of Lukas Podolski, are still with the squad.

"You don’t sign players like Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez and Petr Cech unless you want to win the Premier League and unless you have a manager like Arsene Wenger. The deals were executed swiftly and efficiently by top professionals.

"I make no apology for saying we are in a strong financial position to invest further in players but we will not do it for the sake of it or to appease commentators."