• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

It was cool - Klopp satisfied with Liverpool debut

klopp-cropped_12gq09ahk8zl51gi48fu1u1wha.jpg

By Harry Sherlock at White Hart Lane
Oct 17, 2015 15:32:00

The Reds played out a 0-0 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane in the former Borussia Dortmund manager's first game in charge and he was content with his start

New Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp declared himself happy with his debut after watching his side play out a 0-0 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

The Reds earned a point in an end-to-end game at White Hart Lane, though they struggled to truly test Hugo Lloris in the Spurs goal throughout, with Divock Origi's effort that hit the crossbar the closest they came to a winning goal.

Klopp was serenaded by the away fans prior to the game, with supporters carrying banners and flags in support of their new manager, and he admitted that he was touched by the support.

"It was cool, I like this. I don't want to talk about me but first game in the Premier League, coming to White Hart Lane, not the worst place in the world, but it was cool," he told reporters.

"When we have the whistle, it's good, before I tried to look at things I've never seen before. It's a stadium, I've been in other stadiums! We're in, now we can work."

Klopp also hinted that his work as Liverpool manager begins now, having seen his debut delayed by the recent international break, though he admitted that his side's performance could have been better, had they been less "hectic" on the ball.

"I'm satisfied with the start, this is not the worst sign because I did not have the biggest expectations, we have only three days, Tottenham are very, very strong and have a good team," he added. "It was difficult so I'm satisfied. The start was brilliant, we got on the second ball, good timing, Phil (Coutinho) and Adam (Lallana), perfect, in behind, good positions for them.

"The problem of the game, when we had the ball we were not cool enough. We didn't use our skills. We were too hectic, maybe, I'm not sure! Something like this! We didn't see the right option but it's normal, you get the ball, shoot open your view, and play to the side because Tottenham are defending.

"We didn't use these situations but we had our moments, Origi hit the post, some other situations when we could have been better. After three days it was brilliant. Now we have our own game, our experience together and we can go on working."

When asked about recent injury problems suffered by Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings, Klopp praised the impact of Origi, who deputised in the absence of the duo, and revealed that he attempted to sign the forward when he was manager of Borussia Dortmund.

"I wanted to take him to Dortmund when Liverpool bought him," he added. "He went on loan to Lille, he's a very good player, very young, a good technician, in this moment not full of experience in the game because he didn't play so often but we will have fun with this player.

"We were in a battle with Liverpool for him!"

Klopp revealed that Sturridge may return for next week's clash with Rubin Kazan in the Europa League, having only suffered a "little bit of swelling" to his knee after a clash in training with Jordon Ibe.

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

The stat Harry Kane doesn't want you to see

1816522_heroa.jpg

Oct 17, 2015 15:25:00

The Tottenham striker's conversion rate has fallen off a cliff, and now ranks him second worst among players who have netted this term, as his poor form continued against Liverpool

Harry Kane was the breakout star of the 2014-15 Premier League campaign, but has struggled to maintain those standards in the new season.

Despite Tottenham's strong form this term - they are now unbeaten in eight games - the England international has only netted once this season - and it was from an offside position!

Kane was once again thwarted on Saturday, this time by the reflexes of Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, and his shooting stats this season do not make for good reading.

Kane has scored six times less regularly than he did last season, his minutes per goal rising from 122 to 775, while his conversion rate has dramatically tailed off, down to just a miserable five per cent.

The 21-year-old has had plenty of chances to net more than his solitary goal, but is being let down when it comes to clear-cut chances (or 'big' chances, as Opta define them), with his conversion rate dropping from 52% to a measly 20%, having netted just one of five.

At least Kane is keeping good company, with his conversion rate ranking him the second worst of players to have netted at least once this season, with only Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho rocking worse accuracy.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard AXED - Mourinho has redisovered his ruthless edge at last

1986012_heroa.jpg

By James Goldman
Oct 17, 2015 14:45:00

The double footballer of the year has been axed for the visit of Aston Villa to Stamford Bridge after the Belgian totalled 11 games without a goal for his club

After weeks of blaming everyone but himself for Chelsea’s current predicament Jose Mourinho’s team selection for the visit of Aston Villa confirmed the Special One has finally rediscovered the ruthless edge that has made him such a serial winner.

Arsene Wenger, the Football Association, petrified referees who are too scared to award decisions in favour of the Premier League champions and television companies have all borne the brunt of Mourinho’s ire this season.

But the Chelsea manager appears to have belatedly acted upon what has been staring the majority of the club’s puzzled and beleaguered fans in the face for weeks – namely several key players have been letting him down and badly.

Branislav Ivanovic, once a bastion of reliability, has been rendered a liability this season with Premier League wingers up and down the land feasting on his battered reputation. The injury he suffered on international duty made Mourinho’s decision to offer Baba Raham a chance in his place an easy one but elsewhere there were shocks aplenty.

Eden Hazard, peerless last term listless this, has been dropped to the bench after a run of 11 games without a goal for his club. Two goals for Belgium during the international break hinted at a turning of the corner but Mourinho has made a headline statement by dropping last season’s double player of the year to the bench.

It is a decision that could galvanise both Hazard and Cesc Fabregas who is likely to operate in a more advanced position against Villa. Certainly it represents a pretty seismic gamble, but one Mourinho simply had to take, even at this early stage of the season.

The Special One has shown no mercy to Nemanja Matic, the sub who suffered the ignominy of being subbed against Southampton a fortnight ago, with youth in the formidable shape of Ruben Loftus-Cheek finally afforded an opportunity stamp his authority on this Chelsea side.

Mourinho’s treatment of Matic against the Saints in that unforgettable 3-1 defeat a fortnight ago, a loss which sparked a seven-minute post-match monologue, characterised his clouded and muddled thinking this season. His team selection against Villa indicated the international break may well have done him the world of good.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho turns on Wenger again after FA fine

jose-mourinho-cropped_bja8y40aneib1d1tj7ynqkrlu.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 17, 2015 13:50:09

The Portuguese manager has once again turned his anger towards the experienced Gunners coach, branding claims of a mutiny within the Chelsea squad "a disgrace"

Jose Mourinho has once again turned his frustrations towards Arsene Wenger in the wake of his Football Association (FA) punishment.

The Chelsea manager was given a £50,000 fine and a one-match stadium ban, suspended for a year, after comments regarding officials being "afraid" to award his side penalties following the 3-1 defeat to Southampton.

Speaking to BBC's Football Focus, Mourinho has once more suggested Wenger gets priority treatment from the FA, pointing to an incident last season where the Arsenal boss pushed him on the touchlines and received no punishment.

"It's the FA's relationship towards me [that needs to change]," he said. "I think you, the media, should look at it. You should analyse what is happening with me, compare with other managers. It's the difference between afraid, naive, and weak, it's a £50,000 difference. The difference between a word and a push. You think it's comparable in the eyes of everyone?

"The next time I speak it'll be a stadium ban, then an electronic tag. I have to stay quiet and hope that all this journalism will bring to reality what is crystal clear."

Mourinho also slammed suggestions of a "mutiny" within the Chelsea playing squad.

He added: "The truth is that is a disgrace. An absolute disgrace. You don't need me to repeat what the players have been saying in the last couple of weeks.

"Every one of the players [on the international break] that had the chance to go to the press always had to be speaking about Chelsea."

The former Porto boss claimed on Friday that he would survive as Chelsea manager even with a mid-table finish this season, and he has urged supporters not to forget the success he has brought to the club.

"I lose one, I lose a few. If you ask me if in the next couple of years I won't win a title, I say impossible," Mourinho added.

"You think the champions of England are bad? The manager, the players, the club, the fans are bad? I know we're not playing the football of last season. It's an accumulation of factors. I'm not ready to discuss it.

"I know the way I would behave as a fan. If I were a fan I would think 'we won four Premier Leagues, three of them, the manager was this guy. The fourth was with a team that this guy made. So does he deserve our respect, our trust? Can we get someone better than him?'

"I know [Branislav] Ivanovic was not playing especially well but can we forget what he brought to this club, the happiness he brought, the player he is?

"I question my methods, and the answers are in my book. 22 titles in 15 years."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger brands Neville 'ridiculous'

arsene-wenger_q7ugmn2ev7zu1e79pv7stlhef.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Oct 17, 2015 13:16:09

The former Manchester United defender accused Arsenal of failing to prepare mentally for big games, but their manager has hit back

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has labelled Gary Neville's latest comments about his side "ridiculous".

The former Manchester United defender said the Gunners squad go into training thinking of how much fun they will have, rather than focusing on serious tactical work.

Neville's comments have prompted an angry reaction from Wenger, who issued a sarcastic response at his press conference on Friday.

He said: "We just turn up on Saturday, just go out and play. Honestly, I have been in management for 30 years.

"I have a good tolerance level to sometimes listen to things that are really ridiculous."

Wenger also pointed to the improvements made by his side this season based in a number of statistics.

"We see the numbers of chances [we have] created, the shots given away to our opponents, [this] allow us to believe we have made big steps, strides forward," he added.

"We have to show that on the pitch with our results. We feel since January 1st 2015 we have moved forward. Now we have to show we can do that through the football season as well.

“We had better balance between attacking and defending. We conceded less goals. We had many clean sheets in the second part of the season. As well we won the FA Cup let’s not forget that.

"Overall in the last two years we have moved up.”

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Chelsea have a very good manager and very good players

18 October 2015 14:41

930652header.jpg

Jose Mourinho believes Chelsea have "a very good manager and very good players", but warned that victory over Aston Villa does not make them the Premier League's best again.

Saturday's 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge - which came courtesy of a Diego Costa strike and an Alan Hutton own goal - was only the champions' third from nine Premier League matches in 2015-16.

Mourinho stressed the vital three points do not solve everything, but spoke of his confidence in himself and the Chelsea squad to build on the result.

"We were not three years ago the worst team in the country and now we are not the best team in the country," he told BBC Sport.

"We are just a team with a very good manager with very good players trying to reach our normal level.

"But it is not because of one victory that we become great again."

Chelsea are 10 points behind Premier League leaders Manchester City and the Portuguese boss was reluctant to be drawn on whether he thought a charge for the title was definitely out of the question.

"I don't know," said Mourinho. "I just know that Tuesday we have a game [at Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League] and I think we can win it and next Saturday we play against a fantastic team with a manager [Slaven Bilic] who is showing all his qualities at West Ham but we still think we can win.

"We will go like this, match after match and see what can happen."

Mourinho was unimpressed at being asked why Chelsea could only manage three shots on target throughout the victory over Villa.

He said: "You always try to find negative things, even when we win.

"I don't want to go in that direction. I just want to say that we won and we deserved it."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don´t follow Di Maria or Falcao examples, Van Gaal warns Depay

18 October 2015 00:31

930428header.jpg

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has urged Memphis Depay to become a team player or risk being shipped out of Old Trafford like Angel di Maria and Radamel Falcao.

Depay was an unused substitute in United's 3-0 win over Everton on Saturday amid concerns over the Netherlands international's attitude this season.

Di Maria, now at Paris Saint-Germain, and United's former loan striker Falcao were both criticised by Van Gaal last term before leaving the club.

And, in a bid to improve Depay's mentality, Van Gaal revealed assistant Ryan Giggs had spoken to the 21-year-old about the requirements of playing regularly at United.

"Ryan has already given advice to him but the player is responsible for his own deeds," the Dutchman told reporters.

"You have to give respect to your team philosophy.

"We have seen that some players cannot adapt to the team philosophy. You cannot know in advance before you buy them. You have to wait and see.

"That happened with Angel di Maria and Falcao."

Depay worked with Van Gaal as part of the Netherlands squad and started life at United impressively following his close-season move from PSV.

When asked what Depay had to do to fulfil his potential, ahead of Wednesday's Champions League clash with CSKA Moscow, Van Gaal added: "I only discuss that with Memphis, not with you.

"Do I still believe in him? Of course.

"The problem with young players is they are not consistent. That you have to learn. We have to give him time."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho explains Hazard omission from ´solid´ Villa win

17 October 2015 19:25

930204header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says his decision to drop Eden Hazard for the 2-0 win against Aston Villa was purely tactical, adding his delight after his side ended their winless run.

Diego Costa and an Alan Hutton own-goal gave the Premier League champions their first win in four outings, with Mourinho having dropped Hazard, Nemanja Matic, Oscar and Gary Cahill to the bench for the clash at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho has been critical of Hazard's work-rate previously in his Chelsea reign but stated the Belgian's absence from the starting XI was due to defensive requirements.

"I left out Hazard because we are conceding lots of goals. It was a tactical decision," he told reporters.

"Willian and Pedro did amazing defensive work.

"I told the players that this is not the moment to think about personal situations, or to moan or be selfish."

The hosts were far from their best as a struggling Villa spurned a number of chances before Hutton's unfortunate own-goal sealed the victory.

Mourinho was only focused on the result, however, adding: "It was not a brilliant performance, but it was a solid performance. In football, you are brilliant when confidence high.

"When the confidence goes down, quality goes down, and you have to bring other ingredients. They did that.

"I was expecting this kind of answer, and the answer is there. The result is most important."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City star De Bruyne shrugs off price-tag pressure

2022792_heroa.jpg

Oct 18, 2015 22:50:00

The Belgium playmaker has hit the ground running at the Etihad Stadium and does not believe for a second that the £54 million spent to acquire his services has any bearing

By Sam Lee

Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne is in confident mood following his fine start to life at the Etihad Stadium, and says he is not at all fazed by the £54 million fee paid for his services this summer.

De Bruyne was the star of the Bundesliga for Wolfsburg last season, prompting City to fork out the second highest fee ever to be spent by a Premier League club.

The 24-year-old has hit the ground running in Manchester and was once again impressive as City beat Bournemouth 5-1 on Saturday, and appears far from weighed down by the money spent to acquire his signature.

Asked whether he feels any pressure, he replied with a smile: "Personally no. I'm not the only player here that they paid a lot of money for. So you don't think about it. In the end you just try to play your football."

De Bruyne suffered an ignominious exit from English football when he was sold by Chelsea midway through the 2013-14 season, and it had been suggested that he does not possess the sufficient mental strength to thrive in England.

But the playmaker is confident that he will continue to disprove his doubters: "It's very different to two or three years ago. Now I'm playing at a higher level and I will only improve over time. I'm very happy with the way things are going and I just want to try to keep it up."

De Bruyne picked up his third Premier League assist in two games on Saturday, when he slipped in Raheem Sterling for the second of his three first-half strikes against Bournemouth.

And the Belgian is just as confident about his young team-mate's prospects and believes he and the former Liverpool man are starting to develop a lethal understanding.

"He's really good, he's only 20 years old so there's a lot more to come," he added. "But he made the goals look easy today and that will only help his confidence.

"He likes to run deep and that makes it easier to find him, I'll try to play that ball. Sometimes it will work well, like today, and other times maybe he will not arrive. But if he makes runs like that it's good for me.

"If a player has pace like that it's always an advantage."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Man Utd title contenders if we beat City

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united_1bc06msw07qtc15z1hbkuuem41.jpg

By Sam Marsden
Oct 18, 2015 16:22:38

The Dutchman wants his side to show their intent to win the Premier League this season by winning next weekend's Manchester derby at Old Trafford

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United can be considered contenders for the Premier League title if they beat Manchester City next weekend.

United bounced back from their defeat to Arsenal before the international break by delivering an impressive performance to beat Everton 3-0 on Saturday.

Next up is CSKA Moscow in the Champions League, with the Manchester derby to follow that.

And Van Gaal believes a positive result at Old Trafford against Manuel Pellegrini’s table-toppers would be a real statement of intent from his side.

"I am very happy with the response of my players and I am very proud of the performance [against Everton],” the Dutchman said.

"I think it was an excellent performance and maybe it is the start of many, many victories.

"We have to be more consistent so next week when we win against Manchester City then we can say 'OK, now we think maybe about title aspirations'.

“We are always having the target of champions. That is of course important in our ambition.”

United are currently two points behind City in the table, level on 19 points with Arsenal in second place.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Falcao's grandmother criticises Mourinho & Van Gaal

1962762_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 19, 2015 10:50:00

The 29-year-old's grandmother believes the striker has not been given a chance at Chelsea and feels the managers he was worked under have not been "explicit" with him

Radamel Falcao’s grandmother believes the striker has not been given enough playing time at Chelsea and feels Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho have not been “explicit” with him.

The 29-year-old scored only four goals in 29 appearances during his season-long loan spell at Manchester United last season, and has played just 192 minutes in the Premier League following his move to Stamford Bridge in the summer.

When asked if she could explain Falcao’s inability to replicate the performances he showed before his cruciate ligament injury in January 2014, Dona Denis King Garcia told El Universal: “I do not understand what happened.

"After the injury he suffered last year before the World Cup he has tried to return and has played some good matches; but I also think the coaches he has worked with have not been explicit with him.

“You have to show confidence in him because that is the only way he can return to what he used to be [before his injury].

“At first he was used a lot, but after that he has been used very little; in those 10 or 15 minutes he's being given he can't do anything.

“And so it is very difficult for him. You have to give him more time to do what he does best.”

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: I was never contacted about Liverpool job

2089312_heroa.jpg

Oct 19, 2015 11:00:00

Harry Redknapp alleged that the Italian had been the first choice to succeed Brendan Rodgers but that the 56-year-old rejected the Reds

By Vittorio Campanile

As a Goal columnist, Carlo Ancelotti will provide his expertise and insight on this season’s Champions League through an exclusive series of columns and videos.

Carlo Ancelotti insists he was not approached by Liverpool before the club decided to appoint Jurgen Klopp as their new manager.

Harry Redknapp alleged last week that Ancelotti had been the Reds' first choice to succeed Brendan Rodgers, who was sacked after the Merseyside derby draw with Everton at Goodison Park on October 4, but that the Italian turned the job down.

However, Ancelotti insisted that he was never sounded out about assuming the hot seat at Anfield.

"With Liverpool, there was no contact," he told Goal. "When a job becomes available, they always use the names of the coaches currently without a team, so, my name was thrown out there.

"But I never had any direct contact with the directors of Liverpool."

Ancelotti has also been mentioned as a possible successor to Italy coach Antonio Conte, who is being tipped to stand down when his contract expires after Euro 2016.

However, Ancelotti says that international football does not appeal to him at this point in his career.

"For now, there's a desire to continue coaching a club because I'm still motivated by being on the pitch every day," the 56-year-old added.

"Coaching national teams is more restrictive as there's not the time to coach on a daily basis, which is what I enjoy."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea targeting quadruple - Mourinho

20 October 2015

931623header.jpg

Jose Mourinho is refusing to prioritise Europe over the Premier League, boldly claiming Chelsea could still win the quadruple this season.

Chelsea remain in all four competitions but have endured a terrible start to the new campaign, trailing leaders Manchester City by 10 points after losing four of their nine league games.

However, the Portuguese manager is remaining defiant in the face of criticism ahead of Chelsea's Group G clash against Dynamo Kiev.

"When you prioritise in this league, you have a big risk, which is the risk of not winning the Champions League and not finishing top four, and not playing Champions League the next season,” Mourinho said.

"So, we cannot prioritise in this league. We have to go all the way and ensure we finish top four."

Pressure on the 52-year-old eased slightly after a 2-0 home win over Aston Villa and Mourinho is refusing to rule out an unprecedented trophy haul.

"We can win all four [competitions], we can lose all four. I think it is possible, but I think it’s also possible to lose all four. Everything is open. We are in October," he said.

"For us, it depends on other teams, depends on other results. We don’t depend on ourselves, we depend on what happens also in other matches and other teams."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp would have been perfect for Sterling, says agent

20 October 2015

931727header.jpg

Manchester City attacker Raheem Sterling's agent - Aidy Ward - has suggested the England international might have stayed at Liverpool had he known Brendan Rodgers would have been replaced with Jurgen Klopp.

The 20-year-old joined City ahead of the 2015-16 campaign for a transfer fee in the region of £49 million and Sterling's representative has now revealed the presence of Rodgers was one of the main reasons behind his decision to move on.

"The new Liverpool manager probably would have been a great fit for Raheem - passionate, disciplined in the right way, new ideas, not afraid of trying new things. He'll do great at Liverpool," Ward told The Daily Mail.

"Would Raheem under Klopp have been a good scenario? Yes, 100 per cent, definitely, mainly because of the person Klopp is - the passion, the drive, the emotion, wanting to achieve. Raheem has all of this, but you won't always see it outwardly. Working with Klopp - that could have been great. He's going to get the best out of those players. It could have been a dream come true.

"Raheem could've stayed, he should be at Liverpool. In December I spoke to Liverpool and said we'll sign a contract if there is a buy-out clause - those clauses are now common practice. They said no to that. Then there was an underhandedness, there were sly remarks.

"In press conferences, Brendan told everyone Raheem would sign - why do that? I knew, Brendan knew and Liverpool knew there was an issue. I have no issue with anyone but Rodgers: he had a massive job with massive funds.

"How did he do? Good coach, but as a manager I didn't like certain things about how he dealt with Raheem. Fifty per cent of the players would probably tell you Brendan is not a good manager, but he is a good coach."

Sterling had also been linked with clubs such as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Arsenal before eventually joining City and Ward has claimed that he had been in touch with all of Europe's big guns apart from Barcelona.

He added: "The only club I didn't speak to from all the super-powers was Barcelona - they were the only ones, and that was because they had a transfer embargo, so it was pointless.

"But you know Xavi came out and said Raheem is a world-class player in the making and could play at Barca in the future.

"In the end it was Manchester City and I thought he's got a job to do, go and do it, and he's doing it. Right now he probably should be a Liverpool player, but he's not and he's in a great place at City."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp hits out at ´misunderstanding´ of playing style

21 October 2015 16:38

932520header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp says the perception of his preference for a hard-running, high-tempo style of play represents the "biggest misunderstanding in my life".

Much was made of the fact that Liverpool became the first team to cover more ground than Tottenham in a Premier League match this season during Klopp's first game in charge of the Merseyside club.

The 0-0 draw at White Hart Lane on Saturday evoked memories of Klopp's famous 'gegenpressing' style that he implemented to such great effect at Borussia Dortmund, with the likes of Adam Lallana, Emre Can and James Milner swarming around Spurs players in possession of the ball.

However, when asked ahead of the Europa League clash with Rubin Kazan on Thursday if his squad has the physical fitness to sustain such a demanding approach, the German coach sought to clarify his methods.

"[That is] the biggest misunderstanding in my life," Klopp said. "People always ask me if it's possible to play this style of football. They asked me it at Dortmund and Mainz every week.

"You don't have to play like this for 90 minutes. It's not always wild, it's only the start. If you watched Bayern [Munich] v Arsenal [in the Champions League on Tuesday], Bayern had 70 per cent possession and lost 2-0. Arsenal were defensive and won the game.

"We have to have a plan. We have to be prepared, of course we need healthy players but we don't kill the players. They are young, healthy professionals.

"[But] if you are not ready to run more than they do, then you're crazy."

Klopp was also quizzed on Liverpool's injury crisis, which saw him have to make do without as many as seven first-team players at Tottenham.

"Studge [Daniel Sturridge] is getting better and better - the target for him is Sunday [when Liverpool play Southampton in the Premier League]," he said.

"The other players are no option for Sunday. [Danny] Ings and [Joe] Gomez had their operation. It was a positive operation and they are on their way back. No complications.

"We have three players back in training, [Roberto] Firmino, [Christian] Benteke and [Dejan] Lovren. More options but not really starting options. We will see what we need for this game. It's very good for us that these players are back."

Klopp was also critical of the Football Association after teenager Jordan Rossiter returned from England Under-19s duty with a hamstring problem.

"Rossiter is a special story, I've never heard a player at 19 years having to play three games in five days. Now we have to wait for him. I will find a way to talk to somebody about this. It's not okay."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal star David Ospina's £16m house raided by burglars as his supermodel wife and children sleep

Goalkeeper's £100,000 Mercedes car was stolen from the drive of his mansion before the thieves go on a joyride across north London

David_Ospin_with_h_3480128b.jpg

Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina, 27, with his wife Jesica Sterling Photo: Tim Stewart News Limited

By Leon Watson
3:18PM BST 22 Oct 2015

Thieves broke into Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina's £16 million home in the dead of night and took his £100,000 Mercedes joyriding, it was revealed on Friday.

The 27-year-old Colombian was playing for his national team when the crooks sneaked undetected into the mansion, in one of London's most exclusive suburbs, while his supermodel wife and children slept.

Returning to his home after training this afternoon the keeper said he was still in the dark about how and why he was targeted.

While police investigate they were withholding details of the raid that saw the car dumped seven miles away in Wembley Park.

Using an aide to interpret he said: "I can't speak about it because the problem is still there and even though the police have the car they can't give all the information.

"We do not know what happened, this happened in the night time and the car was taken away."

Ospina was in Columbia for a 2-0 World Cup qualifier win over Peru.

David_Ospina_wife__3480127b.jpg

Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina, 27, with his wife Jesica Sterling Photo: Tim Stewart News Limited

Asked how he felt being thousands of miles from his family when he received the call, he said: "Everything is fine now, the case is with the police and I'm leaving all matters to them."

The footballer arrived back at his nine bedroom home in a grey Land Rover Discovery with tinted windows at around 1.20pm.

He was carrying an Arsenal shirt, a jacket and paperwork.

David_Ospina_Jesic_3480126b.jpg

Alongside the 4x4, a maroon Range Rover was parked on the carriage driveway.

Scotland Yard are yet to make any arrests in connection with burglary they said took place between 11pm on Friday, October 9 and 8am the following morning.

The break-in bears chilling similarities to a horrific robbery endured by the family of Arsenal legend Ian Wright last June.

David_Ospina_3471523b.jpg

The former striker was in Brazil for the World Cup as a pundit for ITV when a gang of masked robbers broke into his home in Queen's Park, west London, and held wife Nancy at knifepoint.

They threatened to cut their children's fingers off if she didn't cooperate.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bastian Schweinsteiger to sue toy company over Nazi doll called 'Bastian'

Toy soldier complete with swastika-emblazoned uniform bares incredible likeness to the German midfielder

BASTAIN_DOLL_FINAL_3479808b.jpg

Manufacturers have called any likeness 'purely coincidental'

By Callum Davis
11:49AM BST 22 Oct 2015

Bastian Schweinsteiger is suing a Chinese toy-maker for producing a Nazi doll called 'Bastian'.

The toys, which are due for European release this week, depict a Wehrmacht soldier, complete with Nazi insignia on the soldier's hat.

The Manchester United midfielder is understood to have contacted his lawyers regarding the dolls, which bear an undeniable likeness to the German international.

bastian_doll_one_3479815b.jpg

A poster promoting the release of the new 'Bastian' range of toy soldiers

The manufacturers responsible for producing the dolls have defended the dolls, calling any perceived likeness 'purely coincidental'.

German newspaper Bild have condemned the toy, with a headline covering the story reading: "Our football hero Bastian Schweinsteiger as a Nazi soldier!"

Bild contacted a representative of the company behind the Bastian range of toys, who dismissed the suggestion the model was based on the Germany captain.

BASTO_NEW_3479858b.jpg

The doll is advertised in a variety of military contexts

"We offer no figures based on the football. The resemblance is purely coincidental," insisted company spokesman, Patrick Chan.

"The figure is based on a typical German. We believe most Germans look like this. Bastian is a common name in Germany," he added.

Bastian Schweinsteiger's representatives have so far declined to comment on any action they plan to take, but sources from within Bild insist Schweinsteiger has begun legal proceedings.

basti_germ_3479830b.jpg

Schweinsteiger is the current captain of the German national side

Media lawyer Ulrich Amelung spoke told German newspaper Bild on whether Schweinsteiger had any grounds to sue the toy company over the range of dolls.

"This is a clear violation of the rights of Schweinsteiger.

"The portrayal of him wearing a swastika uniform is a clear case of defamation and insult."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle´s losing streak means nothing - McClaren

22 October 2015

933216header.jpg

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren insists his side's five-game losing streak to Sunderland in derby matches will mean nothing when the two teams lock horns on Sunday.

Fresh from a stunning 6-2 win over Norwich City in their last outing, Newcastle are desperate to end a dreadful run of performances against their local rivals, an unwanted streak which has seen them lose five in succession and fail to win any of the last seven derbies.

Sunderland are the only side in the Premier League who are yet to win any of their opening nine matches, but will be hoping to draw upon their past successes in new manager Sam Allardyce's second game in charge.

McClaren, though, has described the clash as a "great opportunity" to end Newcastle's losing derby run, which he thinks will mean nothing when it comes to kick-off time.

"We don't know anything about the five previous games and neither do half the team," he said.

"It is a fresh game and a great opportunity for us. I don't want buoyancy in the squad after Norwich win, I want focus on the Sunderland game.

"This game is massive for the fans and there is a determination to win it for them.

"The Norwich win was a relief, so credit to the players and staff. We felt it was coming and now we have a result but we won't get carried away.

"The approach for this game is no different and should be no different. We have to play the game and not the occasion. It is a tough game and we will have to play really well."

McClaren also had positive injury news to report, revealing Rolando Aarons and Kevin Mbabu are now back in training, giving him a full-strength squad to choose from for the game at the Stadium of Light.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hughes wary of rushing back Stoke City duo for Watford game

markhughes-cropped_izu4bmmbx3np163ctkqbnyk8i.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Oct 23, 2015 20:54:16

Mame Biram Diouf and Ryan Shawcross are available for action this weekend, but the Welshman is unsure if they are ready to play

Mark Hughes is wary of rushing back Mame Biram Diouf and Ryan Shawcross ahead of Stoke City's Premier League clash with Watford.

Stoke welcome Watford to the Britannia Stadium on Saturday in the first of three games over eight days.

Chelsea then visit Hughes' men in the League Cup on Tuesday before Stoke travel to St James' Park to take on Newcastle next weekend.

Senegal striker Diouf has been on compassionate leave following the death of his mother, while centre-back Shawcross is finally in contention to play for the first time this season after recovering from back surgery.

Asked about their potential involvement, Hughes said: "Mame is back with us now but we have to be mindful of where he is physically and mentally. He is training, but he hasn't trained a great deal over the past couple of weeks.

"I am mindful that we have three games this week, so that will shape my thinking.

"The same goes for Ryan Shawcross, too, because he feels he is ready, but we don't want to rush him. He will play at some point over the coming week I am sure of that."

Following a slow start, Stoke are targeting a fifth straight win in all competitions and Hughes believes the club can make further strides.

"In terms of points on the board we had a slow start, but performance wise I thought we were okay," he added.

"Thankfully we have managed to turn good performances into good results. If we can win the game on Saturday then it would represent our best ever points return after the first 10 games of the season – that would be a great achievement for us.

"We will continue to try and push the bar higher because we don't want to stand still. There may well come a time that we will hit a glass ceiling, but we are nowhere near that yet."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini backs City defence in Kompany´s absence ahead of derby showdown

23 October 2015 15:57

933702header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellerini has hinted that captain Vincent Kompany will not return to his starting line-up for Sunday's derby against Manchester United.

Kompany suffered a calf injury during City's Champions League defeat to Juventus in September and went against his manager's wishes in returning to action for Belgium's Euro 2012 qualifier against Israel, despite missing all five of his club's matches in the intervening period.

Following this month's international break, Kompany looked on as an unused substitute when City beat AFC Bournemouth 5-1 and only came on in injury time against La Liga side Sevilla following Kevin De Bruyne's late winner on Wednesday.

At a pre-match media conference ahead of the top-of-the-table clash at Old Trafford, Pellegrini offered his latest assurances that there are no problems between himself and Kompany – maintaining his stance that the defender's omission relates to him being short of full fitness.

However, he praised the form of incumbent centre-back duo Eliaquim Mangala and Nicolas Otamendi and said he would pick "the best players for the moment".

"I don’t have a problem with Vincent," Pellegrini said. "Every week I choose the starting XI that’s best for that game.

"Other players must wait. It's exactly the same for all the players.

"I'm not punishing Vincent. I have no problems in my relations with Vincent.

"After one month, five weeks without playing [or] training you must be fit. It is important to work some days before return to the team."

He added: "It's crucial to play with the best players for the moment. Football is moments – now, Mangala and Otamendi are doing well."

Pellegrini confirmed that there would be no alteration to a significant list of injury absentees for the 170th Manchester derby – with influential playmaker David Silva (ankle), remaining on the sidelines alongside Sergio Aguero, Samir Nasri, Fabian Delph (all hamstring) and Gael Clichy (ankle).

The Chilean pushed free-scoring midfielder De Bruyne into a centre-forward role during the closing stages against Sevilla – an ultimately inspired switch, which he believes underlines City's capacity to cope amid reduced attacking options.

"We can play in different ways and we can win," Pellegrini added. "Kevin De Bruyne is not a striker but he could play as a striker if we need him to.

"Last season we had a lot of different ways to play – when our strikers were injured, we played with [James] Milner [in attack] and scored goals."