• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho concerned by Chelsea performances

28 September 2015 10:04

918610header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has admitted that he is concerned by Chelsea's unimpressive start to the 2015-16 campaign.

The reigning champions have been struggling to find their best form in the opening weeks of the new season and have collected just eight points from their first seven fixtures.

Chelsea were held to a 2-2 draw by Newcastle United at the weekend as their poor run of form continued and Mourinho was not impressed by the display.

"I'm concerned. I don't understand and I don't accept some individual performances," Mourinho was quoted as saying on the official Chelsea website.

"I would have liked to make more changes than I did, but the ones I did were enough to improve the team and get us a point.

"I didn't make changes at half-time because I didn't know which substitutions to make – I wanted to make six. I was trying to understand what was best for the team so I decided to wait."

Chelsea fought back in the second half against Newcastle to salvage a draw after falling two goals behind and Mourinho is confident they can beat any opponent if they can replicate that performance.

"If we play like we did in the second half we can win every match

"But if we play like we did in the first half we can lose every match.

"I don't believe in both extremes. I don't believe we are always going to play like we did in the first half or like we did in the second half."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Costa confident Chelsea can emerge from shaky start

30 September 2015 17:00

919938header.jpg

Diego Costa is confident Chelsea have the quality within their squad to turn their indifferent start to the 2015-16 campaign around.

Tuesday's 2-1 defeat to Porto in the Champions League means Jose Mourinho's side have only won four of their 11 matches in all competitions this season, with defensive mistakes littering their performances.

Chelsea are already eight points behind Premier League leaders Manchester United, and after losing in Portugal are now in third place in their Champions League group.

Despite their less-than impressive start, Costa believes Mourinho's squad can turn their fortunes around, starting at home to Southampton this weekend.

"We are all united," he told the club's official website. "It's not a good moment now. We must do more.

"We have a good squad with a great deal of quality. We have maybe lost some confidence in three or four games.

"The manager knows the quality of his team. He knows what we can do. It is the responsibility of all of us. We have to improve our character and confidence."

Reflecting on the defeat at the Estadio do Drago, Costa – who's performance was one positive from the game – blamed lapses in concentration for the reversal.

He added: "We had the game under control. We knew it was going to be a physical game. We began well.

"Things changed when they scored, but we quickly equalised. In the second half the same thing happened - we were lacking concentration at key moments of the game."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamann: Liverpool must not push Sturridge too hard

30 September 2015 05:17

919724header.jpg

Dietmar Hamann has urged Liverpool not to push Daniel Sturridge too hard as the injury-prone forward bids to string a consistent run of matches together.

After missing the majority of last season and the opening weeks of the 2015-16 campaign, Sturridge is back on the pitch for Liverpool.

Sturridge made his return from injury against Norwich City on September 20 and opened his account for the season with a brace in Liverpool's 3-2 win over Aston Villa on Saturday.

Despite Sturridge's goalscoring form, Hamann said Liverpool must show patience with the 26-year-old England international.

"It's a massive boost to have him back, but if Liverpool are to be successful then he's got to be there now for the next 20-30 games," Hamann told the Liverpool Echo.

"It's no good doing it for a couple of weeks and then being out again, because then the whole team has to change again. He has to show he can stay fit, and hopefully he will.

"It's massive to have him available. Obviously he missed a lot of games, so we need to keep him fit – especially if Christian Benteke is going to be out.

"If you've got somebody with pace who can stretch defences and score goals, then it's a massive plus as we saw on Saturday. It brings the level of other players up as well.

"I do think that this is why you shouldn't be too harsh on some of the players who came last year, because they were pretty much playing the season without a centre forward.

"For now, they have that centre forward. But they need him consistently, not just for five or six games."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger made a big mistake, feels Wright

30 September 2015 08:46

919750header.jpg

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright has hit out at Arsene Wenger in the wake of the club's 3-2 Champions League defeat against Olympiacos at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday.

Wenger decided to give David Ospina the nod between the sticks rather than regular first-choice goalkeeper Petr Cech, but his decision backfired as Arsenal failed to beat the Greek outfit.

Ospina was at fault for Olympiacos' second goal of the evening and club legend Wright was quick to stress Wenger is the one to blame for Tuesday's defeat.

"I was worried about Ospina at the start because I believe the two centre-backs aren't confident enough as it is," Wright told BT Sport.

"There's not enough aerial supremacy in there and the goalkeeper seemed to me like he was trying to second-guess something. For somebody who's not playing often - and this is a must-win game - how can you put Ospina in goal?

"You've got to question the manager there. I think that's a big mistake.

"Why not start with Petr Cech simply because of the experience he's got? Because we had to win this game, Arsenal had to win this game.

"Normally we're out by the quarter-final, last 16, this time we've got a massive hill to climb to go that far."

Arsenal sit bottom of Group F following Tuesday's results with zero points from two games.

Next they face a double-header against German champions Bayern Munich, who have taken six points from their two fixtures so far.

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool rule out Origi loan exit

30 September 2015 13:38

919843header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers has insisted Liverpool have no intention of letting forward Divock Origi leave the club on loan.

Belgium international Origi has struggled to secure regular first-team action this season and speculation had suggested that the former Lille man - who spent last term in France - could be on his way out of Anfield on a temporary basis.

But Liverpool manager Rodgers has made it clear that the 20-year-old is not going anywhere.

"A loan is not an option for Origi at this stage," Rodgers said at his press conference ahead of Thursday's Europa League meeting with Sion.

"He had his loan period last year. This year is about him coming in and adapting. We'll review where he's at the end of the season.

"The focus on Divock is goals and games. It takes time to adapt. For us it's about nurturing talent along.

"He's a humble guy, he knows he's here to develop. It's a big step."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham lose Son to foot injury

30 September 2015 14:27

919861header.jpg

Tottenham forward Son Heung-min is a major doubt for Thursday's Europa League clash with Monaco and this weekend's Premier League trip to Swansea City with a foot injury.

The South Korea international has made an impressive start to his time at White Hart Lane with three goals in his first four appearances in all competitions.

However, he looks set to miss at least the next two fixtures after suffering a foot problem during Tottenham's 4-1 victory over Manchester City last Saturday.

"Heung-Min Son sustained a foot injury in a challenge during Saturday's win v Man City and has spent the past few days being reviewed," the club posted on Twitter.

"Our medical staff will monitor Son's progress during his rehabilitation in order to determine when he will be fit to return to training."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool goalkeeper Vigouroux back with Swindon after penny prank

30 September 2015 16:49

919940header.jpg

Liverpool goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux has returned Swindon Town on loan after apologising for his novel method of paying a fine.

Vigouroux was fined £50 after arriving late for training with the League One club and opted to pay the penalty in 5,000 one penny pieces - a stunt that saw him sent packing back to Anfield.

But the 21-year-old will now resume a season-long loan after offering an apology that satisfied manager Mark Cooper, who admitted to seeing the funny side of the Chilean's prank.

Vigouroux is back in contention for Swindon's match against Blackpool on Saturday after making his peace with his team-mates following their 2-2 draw with Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday.

"Lawrence is going to come back. He is very humble and very apologetic," Cooper told BBC Wiltshire. "He knows the way he behaved was wrong and he has been in the changing room after the game and apologised to the players.

"He asked them if they wanted him back and they all said yes. Lawrence is an exceptional young goalkeeper and it's important he learns from this little mishap and it will benefit his career going forward."

Cooper added: "It did happen and I thought it was brilliant banter, but in the context it was the wrong way to go about it. We are giving him a second chance and I'm sure he will be grateful."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carver: McClaren needs time

1 October 2015 05:51

920315header.jpg

Newcastle United manager Steve McClaren is the right man for the job, according to former boss John Carver.

McClaren arrived at St James' Park in June but he has tasted victory just once in all competitions, with Newcastle just a point above bottom spot after seven matches in the Premier League.

The Tyneside club were also ousted from the League Cup by Sheffield Wednesday but Carver, who managed Newcastle for five months prior to McClaren's appointment, said the ex-England manager needs time.

"You have to spend the money wisely and it might take time for these guys to bed in," Carver told Sky Sports News HQ.

"Steve is coming into a football club and he needs to get to know his players. It does take time to get to know everyone's personality, how they play and what their best position is.

"I know he is searching for his first win in the Premier League and the longer that goes the more the pressure mounts...as I know.

"But there is a good group of players in there and after the performance against Chelsea [a 2-2 draw], certainly in the first half at the weekend, that was an encouraging sign but they need to take it onto the next game... another tough game at Manchester City.

"So it will take time and people will have to be patient with the guys. Give them the opportunity and see what happens."

Newcastle are away to Manchester City in Premier League action on Saturday.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool tried to buy Sane - Heldt

1 October 2015 07:12

920334header.jpg

Liverpool chased Schalke starlet Leroy Sane in the close-season, according to the Bundesliga club's general manager Horst Heldt.

Germany youth international Sane, 19, already has three league goals in seven matches this campaign.

Brendan Rodgers' men wanted the teenager in the transfer window, with reports a bid in the region of €15million was offered.

Ajax have also been interested in Sane in the past, according to Heldt.

"There was one or another prestigious club that contacted us," he said.

"Liverpool was ready to pay money."

Heldt added: "These offers didn't at all interest us or the player. I am totally unagitated concerning this player."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eva Carneiro hits out at Football Association over Chelsea exit

Former Chelsea doctor says she was not asked to make a statement by the FA over row with Jose Mourinho

Eva-Carneiro_3460801b.jpg

Carneiro has issued a statement following her public spat with Mourinho Photo: REX

By Telegraph Sport
2:43PM BST 02 Oct 2015

Former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro has criticised the handling of her departure from Chelsea by the Football Association.

In a statement, she insisted she was "at no stage requested" by the FA to make a statement about Jose Mourinho's alleged remarks towards her during the match against Swansea.

She also said that she had not been asked to provide evidence after members of the public reported sexist abuse towards her at West Ham last season.

evaaa_3460798b.jpg

Carneiro has been absent since her agument with Mourinho against Swansea

Carneiro was dropped from first-team duties after Mourinho criticised her for going onto the pitch to treat Eden Hazard against Swansea.

Mourinho was cleared by the FA of making discriminatory remarks but independent board member Heather Rabbatts criticised the FA for not interviewing Carneiro herself.

“Eva was one of the few very senior women in the game, a highly respected doctor who has acted with professional integrity in difficult circumstances and whose skills have been highly praised by her colleagues, the club and governing bodies,” she said.

Carneiro's full statement reads as follows: "I was surprised to learn that the FA was allegedly investigating the incident of 8th of August via the press.

carneiro2_3461269b.jpg

"I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement. I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant. Choosing to ignore some of the evidence will surely influence the outcome of the findings.

"Last season I had a similar experience at a game at West Ham FC, where I was subject to verbal abuse.

Eva Carneiro also reported being abused at West Ham last season

"Following complaints by the public, the FA produced a communication to the press saying there had been no sexist chanting during this game.

"At no time was I approached for a statement despite the fact that vile unacceptable, sexually explicit abuse was clearly heard.

FA chairman Greg Dyke had also been critical of Mourinho's behaviour. In a letter to FA Council members, he wrote: "I don't think Mr Mourinho comes well out of the whole saga - he clearly made a mistake in the heat of a game, and should have said so and apologised.

"Instead he has said very little and Miss Carneiro has lost her job.

"Our regulatory team have investigated this and whilst Mr Mourinho has breached no rules, it was clearly a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour."

When asked about the row at his press conference today, Mourinho replied: “For the past two months I didn't open my mouth, and I'm going to keep it like this. One day I will speak, but I will choose the day.”

When he was asked to comment on Dyke's remarks, he said: “That's the same answer. I'm quiet about it for a long time. I read and I listen and I watch, and I'm quiet. We can be here all day... my time to speak will arrive when I decide.”

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

dimitripayet-cropped_16fxaaw4ya8ly1plmet9cw90gz.jpg

Sunderland 2-2 West Ham: Black Cats denied by Hammers comeback
Dick Advocaat's men led 2-0 at half-time but goals from Carl Jenkinson and Dimitri Payet denied the home side a much needed three points

2021892_thumb.jpg

Norwich City 1-2 Leicester City: Vardy on target again for Foxes
The in-form striker got the opener before Schlupp's second-half strike proved decisive

2022482_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 0-1 Stoke City: Arnautovic strike enough for Potters
The Austria forward deepened the gloom around Villa Park with the decisive goal early in the second period

2022062_thumb.jpg

Bournemouth 1-1 Watford: Murray misses from spot as spoils are shared
A fine stop by Heurelho Gomes on the former Crystal Palace striker ensured both teams earned a point each at Vitality Stadium

2022182_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 6-1 Newcastle: Five-goal Aguero steals the show
The Argentine was in electric form, scoring a quintet of strikes in just over 20 minutes as Pellegrini's charges came from behind to destroy the sorry Magpies

2021482_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 2-0 West Brom: Bolasie and Cabaye seal win for Pardew’s men
The Selhurst Park side sealed back-to-back victories on Saturday, as goals from the winger and recent midfield signing broke the Midlands club's defensive resolve

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koscielny injury blow for Arsenal

2 October 2015

920963header.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Laurent Koscielny will be unavailable for three weeks after picking up a hamstring injury in his side's 3-2 Champions League defeat at the hands of Olympiacos on Tuesday.

The France centre-back sustained the problem around the hour mark at the Emirates Stadium and was forced to leave the pitch as a result.

Koscielny has since undergone a series of tests to determine the extent of the issue and Wenger has now revealed he faces a spell on the sidelines.

"Laurent Koscielny is out for what looks like three weeks," the Arsenal boss said at a press conference ahead of Sunday's match versus Manchester United.

"Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta will also miss out, but Francis Coquelin should be fit."

Koscielny's injury means Per Mertesacker is likely to return to Arsenal's starting XI for Sunday's encounter alongside Gabriel at the heart of the defence.

Koscielny is also set to miss next week's trip to Watford, and is doubtful for the crucial Champions League clash with Bayern Munich on October 20.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Petit slams Mourinho for ´degrading´ Carneiro treatment

2 October 2015

921223header.jpg

Former Arsenal and Chelsea midfielder Emmanuel Petit has hit out at Jose Mourinho for his treatment of former club doctor Eva Carneiro.

The medic, along with physiotherapist Jon Fearn, was publicly criticised by Mourinho after providing treatment to Eden Hazard, forcing the Belgian star to leave the field of play late in Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Swansea City in the opening weekend of the Premier League.

Carneiro and Fearn were demoted from matchday duties in the aftermath of the incident and the doctor subsequently quit the club late last month.

The Football Association confirmed earlier this week that it would take no action over alleged discriminatory remarks directed by Mourinho to Carneiro, prompting the 42-year-old to issue a statement in which she questioned their handling of the affair.

Petit has branded Mourinho's public criticism of Carneiro as "degrading" and "insulting" and considers it to be part of a new darker side of the Portuguese coach which has emerged this season.

"I didn't like what happened with Eva Carneiro the physio," Petit told Omnisport.

"If that had happened privately, if it'd been leaked or whatever, I would have accepted it. But it was public, everyone saw it, he didn't hide to insult her.

"It was degrading, insulting, and I can understand that she didn't want to go back to work [at Chelsea].

"I like Mourinho but recently I have the impression of seeing the hidden side of Mourinho. He is nebulous, tyrannic."

The 45-year-old, who departed Chelsea at the time of Mourinho's arrival for the Portuguese manager's first stint in charge in 2004, went on to defend the former Real Madrid coach's record at top clubs and admits he would have relished the chance to play under his "crazy" system.

"I would have liked to play under him. I think he has this crazy side that I like," said Petit.

"He is anti-conformist. He speaks freely. He pursues his ideas.

"I think of him as a guru. What he has accomplished at all the clubs he (coached), nobody else has done it. People can say that Mourinho is a p****, he is annoying, he is a megalomaniac, or paranoid, or whatever but we need to be honest. He won with every team he coached, except at Madrid, where he didn't win the Champions League."

Mourinho has also caught the headlines this season for his treatment of Chelsea captain John Terry, who has been confined to a role among the substitutes for much of the last few weeks despite being ever-present in the Premier League title-winning side last term.

Petit, however, insists Terry should not be given any preferential treatment at the club, adding: "As for John Terry, he should say 'Listen, John - that's football'. If you are good you play, if you are not good, you go on the bench. It doesn't matter if your name is John Terry. It's the same for everybody."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

FA responds to Carneiro criticism

2 October 2015

921199header.jpg

The Football Association have rejected former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro's criticism of their disciplinary process.

On Wednesday, the FA announced it would take no action against Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho over allegations of sexist abuse relating to a touchline row with Carneiro during the 2-2 Premier League draw against Swansea City on August 8.

Carneiro, who was removed from matchday duties by Chelsea in the aftermath of the incident and subsequently parted company with the club, questioned the FA's investigation in a statement released earlier on Friday.

She said: "I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement. I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant. Choosing to ignore some of the evidence will surely influence the outcome of the findings."

But the FA responded by saying it had been in written contact with Carneiro's lawyers, inviting her to provide evidence.

"We have never received any information or complaint from Dr Carneiro," an FA spokesman said.

"Including in written correspondence with her lawyers, it has been made explicitly clear that if Dr Carneiro had evidence to provide or wished to make a complaint she was more than welcome to do so. That route remains open."

The FA analysed footage of the incident - which stemmed from Carneiro and physiotherapist Jon Fearn entering the field to treat Eden Hazard during the closing stages of a game where Chelsea were already down to 10 men - including audio recordings examined by a Portuguese linguistics expert.

In her statement, Carneiro also accused the FA of failing to seek out her version of events after she was allegedly the subject of abuse from supporters during a match between West Ham and Chelsea in March.

"It is incidents such as these‎ and the lack of support from the football authorities that make it so difficult for women in the game," she added.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sturridge return massive and Benteke could make derby comeback, says Rodgers

2 October 2015

921009header.jpg

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers hailed the return of Daniel Sturridge as a massive boost to Liverpool's chances against Everton, while revealing Christian Benteke may make his comeback from injury for the crucial Merseyside derby clash.

The Reds were held to a disappointing 1-1 draw by Sion in the Europa League on Thursday, missing a number of chances with Sturridge rested having only recently returned from a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

The match at Goodison Park on Sunday is a vital one for Rodgers - who has come under significant pressure with the Anfield side sitting down in ninth place - and he thinks the return of Sturridge could be huge to his side's hopes of recording victory.

"You saw Daniel's quality last week," said the manager. "He is at a real high level and he is important for us.

"Top players give the team confidence. Him coming back for the weekend is a massive boost for us. He has got that star quality.

"It is just about managing Daniel's fitness. He has been out for a real long time and come back early through the work and the effort he has put in. With so many games, we just have to make sure we look after him.

"He is still looking to get to full match fitness. There will come a point where he will be available to play in all of the games, or certainly be available for them.

"Now he is fresh and fit and looking forward to the game this weekend."

Benteke, 24, has missed the club's last three matches with a hamstring injury but will be assessed with a view to him playing in the crunch Premier League clash if the tests are positive.

"There is no real change to the squad," continued Rodgers. "We obviously had one or two knocks [against Sion]. We are seeing how Christian Benteke is over the course of the next 24 hours.

"Apart from that, the squad will be pretty much the same as the Aston Villa game."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beckham and Ferguson set for Old Trafford reunion

2 October 2015

920951header.jpg

Manchester United greats Alex Ferguson and David Beckham will be reunited at Old Trafford on November 14 after agreeing to take part in a charity match to raise funds for UNICEF.

Beckham will captain a Great Britain and Ireland team managed by Ferguson that will face a Rest of the World XI led by Carlo Ancelotti and skippered by Zinedine Zidane.

Money raised through profits from ticket sales and donations made on matchday will go to UNICEF to help protect the world’s most vulnerable children.

Beckham said: "I want a world where children can grow up safe from violence, free from poverty and protected from preventable diseases.

"This match gives me the perfect opportunity to raise awareness and vital funds to help reach the children who need it most. I am delighted that my friend Zizou will join me in leading two teams, full of our friends and team-mates, at the best stadium in the world."

Former England captain Beckham made 394 appearances for United under Ferguson before departing for Real Madrid in 2003.

Ferguson, 73, retired in 2013, having won 38 trophies during 26 years in charge at Old Trafford.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lukaku wants Mourinho reunion

2 October 2015

920935header.jpg

Everton striker Romelu Lukaku has revealed that he is keen to work with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho again in the future.

The Belgium international, 22, was a Chelsea player when Mourinho returned to Stamford Bridge in 2013, only for the Portuguese to ship him out on loan to Everton before selling him to the Merseyside club 12 months later.

Lukaku does not hold any grudges against his former manager, though, and is keen to work with Mourinho a second time.

"Mourinho is the one coach I would like to work with," Lukaku told Sport/Foot Magazine.

"And then there are Pep Guardiola and Arsene Wenger. In that exact order."

Lukaku then went on to voice his admiration for Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney.

He added: "I would love to play with Wayne Rooney. He really is a great player. He is strong with his head and has a sense for goals.

"We have played against each other very often. There was a chance to play together for Duncan Ferguson's testimonial, but I had to miss the game due to injury. I still regret that."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Poor Liverpool form means Everton are favourites - Carragher

2 October 2015

921039header.jpg

Jamie Carragher says Everton will start as favourites to win this weekend's Merseyside derby following the lacklustre form of his old club Liverpool.

Brendan Rodgers' side came in for further criticism after being held to a disappointing 1-1 Europa League draw with Sion at Anfield on Thursday.

Liverpool are now preparing to make the short trip to Goodison Park for the Premier League clash on Sunday, bidding to improve on their current position of ninth.

Everton have only won one of the last 17 league derby clashes, but Carragher - who played at Anfield between 1996 and 2013 - thinks that run is likely to come to an end.

"I see Everton as favourites for this one - it does not happen often I must say," the 37-year-old told Sky Sports.

"Liverpool are seen as the 'bigger' club, they have spent more money and so are expected to win more trophies.

"But the way Liverpool have been playing this season compared to Everton, I think Everton have the edge, and it is at Goodison obviously, which is in their favour.

"I think the massive win that Everton had at West Brom, coming back from two goals down, gives everyone a massive lift at the club.

"I can imagine the atmosphere now - the atmosphere is always good there in a derby game - but I think the roof is going to come off when the two teams come out, which puts it in Everton's favour."

Carragher admitted he was surprised at Everton's poor recent record in the fixture given the relative success they have achieved in the league over that period.

"Before I got into the team, Everton bullied Liverpool, and looking at those stats, you would say that is maybe the case now in recent years, that is what Liverpool have done to Everton," added the ex-England international.

"It had to change from our point of view, especially when I was playing, as it was embarrassing for the club. That [recent] record is not something Everton can be too proud of - it is a poor record and considering some of the sides that they have had, we are not talking about a team fighting relegation year in, year out.

"Under David Moyes and now Roberto Martinez, they have had sides that have gone really close to qualifying for the Champions League places as well. So they have had really good players, really good teams, so that is probably more a question for them to answer really.

"But from our point of view, it was a great record and hopefully it will continue!"

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho indicates Amelia deal is close

2 October 2015

921133header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has indicated that goalkeeper Marco Amelia is close to joining Chelsea as cover while Thibaut Courtois continues his recovery from injury.

Courtois has been out of action since September with a knee problem sustained in training after returning from international duty, with Asmir Begovic taking his place as a result.

Former AC Milan keeper Amelia was invited to train with Chelsea earlier this week, with reports on Friday indicating the Italian has passed a medical at Stamford Bridge.

And, speaking ahead of Saturday's match with Southampton, Mourinho said: "Courtois' recovery is going well but he will not be back until December.

"We have at this moment Marco Amelia working with us for a couple of days. He is an experienced keeper and has played Champions League and the national team.

"What we need is some cover. We need some stability until Courtois is back. Maybe he's the guy to give us that.

"We will try. He knows what a big club is and the responsibility."

Oscar, Radamel Falcao and Loic Remy did not travel with Chelsea for their Champions League clash with Porto on Wednesday in which they suffered a 2-1 defeat as their difficult start to the new season continued.

Asked about their reaction to that omission, Mourinho said: "My assistant reported that on the Tuesday Remy, Oscar and Falcao trained fantastically well when the squad was in Porto. That was difficult when the team was away, but they found the motivation.

"They knew there was a chance they could be selected for the next game so they did well.

"Since then with the rest of the squad it has been normal. We always have and demand very high professionalism from all of the players."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inside Van Gaal’s school of Manchester United

2010402_heroa.jpg

Oct 3, 2015 08:00:00

The Dutchman is ruling Old Trafford with an iron fist, with players and staff alike subject to his authoritarian approach on the training ground and in the staff dining area

SPECIAL REPORT By Kris Voakes

You would be forgiven for thinking that forbidding people from leaving the dinner table until everyone has finished and insisting on having the final say on absolutely every detail within an organisation might be the work of a public school head-teacher. But that is also the formula with which Louis van Gaal has taken Manchester United to the top of the Premier League.

United may head to Arsenal on Sunday proudly sat at the summit, but Van Gaal has yet to win the friends and plaudits which would normally be considered commensurate with such a feat. Seven games in, United are leading the way in England, but the Dutchman’s own style of leadership is still causing a number of worries amongst players, fans and superiors alike.

Van Gaal’s side have a number of question marks hanging over them despite the run of form in September, which saw them charge past neighbours City to the top of the table. Three straight wins in the league have added to recent cup wins over Ipswich and Wolfsburg to cover up what really has been an unconvincing start to United’s season.

Their opening day win over Tottenham set the tone, with a first-half own goal giving them something to hold onto amid a Spurs barrage late on. Further victories over the likes of Aston Villa, Club Brugge, Liverpool, Southampton, Wolfsburg and even Sunderland have been gained despite similarly slow starts, with stealth rather than style being the order of the day.

The success of Van Gaal’s tactics so far have belied much of the feeling around the club. Yet at the same time the far more drilled approach of United’s football has been very much in keeping with the man at the helm.

Van Gaal admitted earlier this season that captain Wayne Rooney and his understudy Michael Carrick had approached him with concerns from the rest of the squad. While the particulars of their conversation were not divulged, some players are known to be occasionally left feeling uncomfortable by his sergeant major style on the training ground which can include him coming almost nose-to-nose with stars when delivering instruction. He is also a stickler for training routines, constantly repeating the same small number of drills rather than mixing up his schedules to keep things fresh.

The 64-year-old has made it known regularly throughout his United career that he will do things his own way, living or dying by the sword as a result. As recently as Wednesday, after watching his side come from behind to beat Wolfsburg, he was busy underlining his position of power when asked by journalists to explain Juan Mata’s promotion in the pecking-order for penalties.

“I take all the decisions, believe me. I am responsible. Of course, I communicate always with my players, but I make the decisions and everybody knows that except you,” he blasted, and it is not just the media that he has treated with such rigid values.

He also asks that all club staff dine together and do not leave until everyone is finished. It doesn’t matter what your role; as long as you are on site, you are expected to partake. Treating multi-millionaire footballers like schoolchildren is one thing, but significant professional staff members being asked to follow suit is another.

It is the trait of a man who demands complete control. While his desire to have Desso GrassMaster pitches laid at the training ground to match the one used at Old Trafford is completely understandable, and other top-notch facilities have been requested on the playing side, his attempts to have a say in areas of the club that have nothing to do with the football department have left many frustrated.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward admitted over the summer that he sees himself as Van Gaal’s right-hand man rather than his boss, revealing that he told the Dutchman when he arrived at the club: “Technically you report to me, but I work for you.”

That was borne out in the transfer market, where Woodward went about making all the changes Van Gaal asked of him. And whenever something came off, the Dutchman was quick to thank Woodward personally. It came across a little like somebody giving a youngster a pat on the head for good behaviour, and that vibe of superiority is unsettling many behind the scenes at Old Trafford.

His match-up with Arsene Wenger this weekend is a fascinating one and comes at a key time in his Manchester United reign. The Frenchman has earned the right to have a say in multiple areas of the club, with the Arsenal structure considered by many to be an example for the rest to follow. Van Gaal, on the other hand, has demanded rather than won the right. And all this at a club that leads the way in so many aspects off the field.

One thing is for sure: Van Gaal is not going to change. This is how he manages, and he refuses to consider doing it any other way. Conviction in his beliefs will be considered an admirable quality if he continues to lead United forward. A victory at the Emirates would give him further tangible evidence that his approach is completely justified. Yet win, lose or draw, the leader is not for turning.