• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
From an investment point of view , isnt it better to buy 2 custer house or terrace instead of a semi - D ?
1st it is easier to get rental income , and you get more flexibility to stay in one if you need to . You can even cash out one if you wish , lot of flexibility . Not forgetting got more rooms and bigger area for your dollars .

I very much agree with you on this. Although the prices difference and the increase in value is faster for semi-d, when you go and calculate in percentage, it comes back to be about the same.

BTW got a cooking issue that need advice . Anyone know the different between using plain flour as thickening a sauce vs using corn flour to thinken a sauce ? Can we use potato flour instead ? Also , some cook books call for a mix of plain flour with tropical flour in making a batter for deep flying ?
Basically , I dont like to keep so many types of flour in the kitchen , so what is best solution , ladies or guys ?
[/QUOTE]

Its the texture you want. If you just wanna have a simple sauce, then corn flour or potatos starch give the same texture. But then it will become watery after certain amount of time. If you want a thicker texture and last for the whole day, like for example you wanna cook 'tao suan'(mung bean), then tapioca flour is better.

Hope it helps you. :wink:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
[/QUOTE]

Its the texture you want. If you just wanna have a simple sauce, then corn flour or potatos starch give the same texture. But then it will become watery after certain amount of time. If you want a thicker texture and last for the whole day, like for example you wanna cook 'tao suan'(mung bean), then tapioca flour is better.

Hope it helps you. :wink:[/QUOTE]

I see , great ..

boman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Happy for you! I know a few friends who have either gone to JB or Australia. They had the courage to get off their asses to do something. I need to get off my lazy ass!

HH_lover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been following the thread pretty much from page 1 and just completed reading all posts 2 days ago...3 weeks of reading a forum-thread...a certain first for me!

Anyone think that property prices in Singapore will actually goes downhill? All opinions welcome! :wink:

Hi Cathy...

According to some learned friends (hope Wuqi won't mind me using this wonderful term), the market is rather uncertain at the moment for 2 reasons. Firstly, it seems KBW has been having breakfast with many real estate experts of late to find out what he should be doing. My friends are of the opinion that he will make some announcements with certainty, but he is likely to hold out for a while as the current tension is helping to stabilise the pricing somewhat. Secondly, market correction and according to todays ST, Singapore will be one of the worst-hit nations when we have to pick up after the US situation.

Singapore 'likely to be hit' if US defaults
By Aaron Low, Economics Correspondent
SINGAPORE is likely to be among the worst-hit countries in Asia should the United States default on its massive debts leading to a financial crisis, warned Credit Suisse yesterday.

This is because US banks account for almost 15 per cent of total domestic bank lending here, said the bank in a report.

In such a default cum credit crunch scenario, American banks would almost certainly withdraw their funds from the region, including Singapore, said Credit Suisse head of India and South-east Asia economics Robert Prior-Wandesforde.

'Should the US default and a credit crunch happen, it would make the fall of Lehman look like a picnic,' he added, referring to the collapse of Lehman Brothers investment bank in September 2008, an event that triggered the financial crisis.

US lawmakers have been locked in heated, partisan talks over raising a statutory limit on the US borrowings ceiling ahead of an Aug2 deadline.

If the US fails to raise this debt ceiling, it could default on its obligations - sending shock waves across global financial markets, said analysts.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So Mydin hypermart is open tmr...l'm pretty excited. Will go this weekend to check! If anyone there tmr, please update us, best with some photos! Thank!

Many pictures here http://www.mydin.com.my/events/event.php?id=116&id_topic=3

event.php

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha just found out that our friend Lemans2011 also started his blog 'Across the Straits' just 10 days ago.
Can I have your permission to share the link here?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yes Mydin mart. Long awaited. I knew that they would open one eventually but glad that like what Investor said it will open this weekend.
EL should see some more appreciation soon. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi HH Lover,

Thanks, no issues, please use it my learned friend. :smile:
Yes, folks have been telling me about it so now its indeed coming true.

HH_lover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone enlighten me on the annual recurring taxes in Johor?

In my scant remembrance, I recall something about Quit Rent, property tax. Can someone share how the likely annual list looks like and the frequency of payment (monthly, quarterly, annually).

TIA!

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hope not to disappoint everyone here especially those in EL, Mydin is only opening a Bazaar store and NOT a Hypermart at Anjung Neighborhood Centre.
http://www.mydin.com.my/mydin/stores So when you go there do not be surprise by the size of it.

Hi Serenity, Thanks for the tip. In fact I had a good time browsing and picking up stuff today. Very good prices. Thought I would just go kepo kepo and ended up buying RM100 worth of stuff. I was impressed that the service was quite nice as they had many workers. Hope the good service persists and not a flash in pan.

Only downside was the ready-cooked food were iffy. I was going for the fried bee hoon packet and the guy behind the counter was quite nice to say hold on, as it may not be fresh . He took it and sniffed it and confirmed that I should not buy it. I did not see if he put it back in the counter... after that, I did not bother to take a second look at the cooked chicken.

Is a halal place. Was opened to be in time for fasting month which starts Monday. I was there are 5pm and already a crowd with some entertaining bad-singing contest. Had to park a bit further. Expecting the weekend to be packed before fasting starts. The mostly Malay clientele today seemed pent up for it.

On way back picked up hong xia (red prawn) durian and sultan durian for RM10/kg at Esso Gelang Patah after pumping petrol. I confirm very good stuff..

The 2nd link was smooth sailing at 620pm. But PIE was bad after Jurong..... I very soon missed JB. You lucky people who are already staying there

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone think that property prices in Singapore will actually goes downhill? All opinions welcome! :wink:

Hi Cathy,

It will go down but this time, not downhill. This time IMHO I believe there is real holding power. It will bounce up back fast, even faster than what we saw in 2009.

The rich people are really coming esp Chinese & Indian. I stay in the east and I noticed more and more bmw's than toyota's & honda's even amongst the locals. Even more ang mohs. You saw hsbc announcement, cut 10k jobs worldwide, but add 2k in Singapore & China. Even LKY affirms foreign talent important and today's radios all propaganda to put the Singapore football team as examples of the success of the policy. My office Chinese colleague just bought Lakeshore in Jurong that sells for $1200 psft.

I am of the belief that we have reached a new higher base of property prices, part from inflation and part from demand. Mass market condo minimum now $750-800 psqft.

If interest rates go significantly up, then the fall could be more. But I see low chance of that in such economic conditions. Thats why KBW prefers the psychology game of talking down the market. Anyway if US self destructs, we are all in trouble together. So lets enjoy life and make the strong SGD go further in JB :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.