• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Your favourite haunt

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been emphasising all along in this forum that living under the thumb of the PAP does not mean you have to play by their rules or dance to their tune. :p

People blame the PAP for lack of creativity, for creating conformists, for becoming sheep etc. It's all a load of bull. You can be whatever you want to be. The only way any government can stop you is to hang you or lock you up and throw away the key.

My car ended up in the Maxwell road car pound so many times that I became friends with the SGT in charge of the place. This helped considerably. I won't say too much. He might still be around although I doubt he's still with the force.

Boss, why you only made friend with a sergeant.....I could have introduced you to Supt Freddie Lee, then he was the OC of Traffic.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss, why you only made friend with a sergeant.....I could have introduced you to Supt Freddie Lee, then he was the OC of Traffic.

Because the sergeant was the man on the ground. This was the days before computerisation. All paperwork was generated manually and handwritten.

I was asked the same question when I was in manufacturing. My answer was that it was better to be friends with the QC inspector who did the inspection than with the MD. One could override the decisions of the lower ranks but it was actually better if a favorable decision was made at shop floor level in the first place.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You know Freddie Lee? He was the go to man then........but hell din understand why he want to makan small money.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please don't tell me that you were one of those that used the circuit that went past Supreme House.

Fuck! I was on motorbike Yamaha R350 racing on that stretch in those days. Scrapping sparks from the tarmac with the footrests.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know Freddie Lee? He was the go to man then........but hell din understand why he want to makan small money.

To my knowledge not small money; it was a daily cash-cow of which he and Supt Khosa were involved. While he was asked to resign, poor Khosa got sacked and reported in ST front page.

Khosa went on to London to study law and returned to practise law while Fred became the CEO of J Ballas Stockbrokers and became a very wealthy man.

In 1989 Khosa had a severe heart attack and passed away.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...u guys did not checked the oxford dictionary lah......
keep posting about places that do not exist any more.......u all certainly do not understand the meaning of the word "haunt"....lol.

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always thought Somerset Jazz bar was owned by the hotel. That was the place I learnt to appreciate jazz and at that time, I believe it was the best jazz in town with damn good jazz bands from Chicago and New Orleans. One for one during happy hours and they will serve you good quality snacks from the hotel. I think the crowd died down after they switch to a half fark local jazz band. I have not found a better jazz bar since then.

The bar at The Sultan Hotel at Jalan Sultan has an excellent live jazz scene as does the B28 whiskey bar at Ang Siang Hill (on Fri and Sat) and Blu Jazz Cafe at Bali Lane.

(I'm not connected with any of these bars - I just like good live jazz.)

I miss the days of the Sunday international jazz jam at Harry's at Boat Quay and Jazz Upstairs @ South Bridge Road.

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Night haunts - Papa Joe's, Upstairs at Number 5 (when it had live music helmed by Spencer Goh), Anywhere, Jantzen's at Paramount Shopping Centre (when Dixie Ferdinand used to play there), Cable Car (when it was at Duxton Hill), Harry's bar at Boat Quay (but only on Sundays when they had the international jazz jam) and the excellent Roomful of Blues on Prinsep Street.

Supper - 24-hour roti prata at Bencoolen Street, 3 Monkeys Cafe at the back of Orchard Towers (have a snack and beer and watch the happenings all around - whores, fights, lady boys with unwary ang moh tourists etc).

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NightLife - Peyton Place at OT (Louis Tan Trio), The Club (M-Polo and DJ Pauline), HiLite (Jerry & Neu Faces), El Marocco, The Imperial Lounge (Tony, Terry & Spencer, all at Imperial Oberoi), Library (Mandarin), Peppermint Park (Parkway), Atlantis (Kuo Po with her trumpet), Sommerset Bar (Eldee Young Trio and fav request was Take 5), Apollo Hotel Lounge (Gina Ler), Beer Garden at Tanglin Mall (Akira Takahashi- a Jap guy always singing Bee Gees with the band), TreeTops Bar (Danny Koh and the waitresses in jungle outfit), Offshore Nightclub (Collyer Quay), Elvis at T-Pagar...

Supper - Tivoli (filled with Hylam Kias), Beach Road Ter Huang Kiam Chye & Mutton Soup (next and opp to Echo Div), Gold Leaf Taiwan mueh at Orchard, RedHouse Cafe (opp CHIJ BrasBasah for early evenings), Newton HC (with a local mental fella "Cowboy" singing The Young Ones etc and drinking our beers and beer available till 6am at stall just next to the carpark and stingray bbq stall), Old Lau Pa Sat (opp the present one, after closing of Dai-Ichi Hotel Lounge), Holiday Inn / ANA / ChatterBox Coffee Houses...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you just overtook Soikee for the most impressive for range and variety. He still leads in the value stake.

My hat off to you - respect. If you looking for driver cum kaki, I am your man. Sam might just pull out his Mini Copper S.

ps.

NightLife - Peyton Place at OT (Louis Tan Trio), The Club (M-Polo and DJ Pauline), HiLite (Jerry & Neu Faces), El Marocco, The Imperial Lounge (Tony, Terry & Spencer, all at Imperial Oberoi), Library (Mandarin), Peppermint Park (Parkway), Atlantis (Kuo Po with her trumpet), Sommerset Bar (Eldee Young Trio and fav request was Take 5), Apollo Hotel Lounge (Gina Ler), Beer Garden at Tanglin Mall (Akira Takahashi- a Jap guy always singing Bee Gees with the band), TreeTops Bar (Danny Koh and the waitresses in jungle outfit), Offshore Nightclub (Collyer Quay), Elvis at T-Pagar...

Supper - Tivoli (filled with Hylam Kias), Beach Road Ter Huang Kiam Chye & Mutton Soup (next and opp to Echo Div), Gold Leaf Taiwan mueh at Orchard, RedHouse Cafe (opp CHIJ BrasBasah for early evenings), Newton HC (with a local mental fella "Cowboy" singing The Young Ones etc and drinking our beers and beer available till 6am at stall just next to the carpark and stingray bbq stall), Old Lau Pa Sat (opp the present one, after closing of Dai-Ichi Hotel Lounge), Holiday Inn / ANA / ChatterBox Coffee Houses...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I hated the goateed Jantzens for playing their home brewed crap. I used to wonder if poking my eye would bring some relief.

Night haunts - Papa Joe's, Upstairs at Number 5 (when it had live music helmed by Spencer Goh), Anywhere, Jantzen's at Paramount Shopping Centre (when Dixie Ferdinand used to play there), Cable Car (when it was at Duxton Hill), Harry's bar at Boat Quay (but only on Sundays when they had the international jazz jam) and the excellent Roomful of Blues on Prinsep Street.

Supper - 24-hour roti prata at Bencoolen Street, 3 Monkeys Cafe at the back of Orchard Towers (have a snack and beer and watch the happenings all around - whores, fights, lady boys with unwary ang moh tourists etc).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The den operators refused to implicate Fred out of fear. But they knew the links and used an incident where he used Police vehicle to take some furniture or something and did a disciplinary on him.

To my knowledge not small money; it was a daily cash-cow of which he and Supt Khosa were involved. While he was asked to resign, poor Khosa got sacked and reported in ST front page.

Khosa went on to London to study law and returned to practise law while Fred became the CEO of J Ballas Stockbrokers and became a very wealthy man.

In 1989 Khosa had a severe heart attack and passed away.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, I hated the goateed Jantzens for playing their home brewed crap. I used to wonder if poking my eye would bring some relief.

then how bout the few other goatees & beardees aka Heritage (Jansens) doing b-Marley before they palyed their home brew?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forgot to mention another favourite haunt - Grand Hyatt Oasis Health Centre and Gymnasium.

Even old fart also went there one day to check out the new gym equipments brought in by the Hotel.

Hyatt was the only hotel that came with a bowling alley in the 70s.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
keep posting about places that do not exist any more.......u all certainly do not understand the meaning of the word "haunt"....lol.

My current haunts are irrelevant as they aren't in Singapore so I mentioned the haunts that I enjoyed in the past.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I guess the title of the thread is no longer important so long as the discussion is smooth and interesting.