• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Young SG: What I saw in CPF in 2006 got me panicking. Decided to Emigrate!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]THE CPF SCHEME THAT HAD ME DECIDE ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH[/h]

<!-- /.block -->
<style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>
Post date:
1 Jun 2014 - 1:34pm

<ins style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

You may not believe this. I'll share this little snippet with you anyway. Do whatever you want with the information or just treat it as a fairy tale if you think it's a load of bullshit. It doesn't bother me anyway, because my mind was made up to leave after I did my analysis (be it right or wrong) and I have been standing by my decision since without regret.

The first spark in my mind about migration occurred in 2006. That was the year started my first job in Singapore. My friend Tucky started work earlier than me, so he was much sharper towards any changes in our financial environment than me. In 2003, one major change was made to our CPF, the sole retirement fund of many Singaporeans. Back then, there wasn't much talk about it, especially among my peers who just started their careers. By 2006, we realised something was amiss and sat down one evening to discuss about it. The CPF minimum sum had already risen $14,000, or 17.5% since its inception 3 years before. Still, most of my peers were not bothered by it at the slightest. Not Tucky and I though. We knew something was brewing and eventually ordinary Singaporeans would be in hot soup in regards to this policy change.

In 2006, migration was never on my mind. It was never an option. The thought of leaving Singapore to work and live elsewhere was simply too overwhelming for someone who planned to live and die in Singapore. I mean, who doesn't? Still, the first discomfort the CPF change continued to lingered in my mind, like a plague that refused to go away. By 2008, my worst fears were confirmed after I continued to monitor the progress of the new Minimum Sum scheme. It was the year I decided I had to do something drastic in my life because I knew I would be heading into financial hardship if I were to continue doing what I had been doing. There was only an obvious choice as a money minded Singaporean - to make more money. I was heading nowhere in achieving that goal be it in employment or self employment. Then the idea of migration was brought up by my ex-girlfriend Jen and the rest was history.

The purpose of this is not to share my migration story. It has been done to death. Instead, I'm going to share what I saw in 2006 that got me panicking. As a matter of fact, by now I believe many more Singaporeans have already woken up to the fact that the Minimum Sum policy is going to have a much larger impact on themselves than they initially thought. An elaboration may not be necessary after all. Still, I thought it is a good time to do so, since we finally have 10 years of data to refer to.

In 2006, I realised the inflation rate used by the CPF was close to 6% per annum since the Minimum Sum scheme was introduced in 2003. I used that rate to forecast the amount I would be dealing with at the year I turn 55 and I didn't like what I saw (if things continue to go on the same way). Sadly, a decade of data reaffirms that the Minimum Sum has been increasing around 6.3% year-on-year, worse in the 6% rate I used to project in fact. I would update my calculations today:

If you are 50 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $207,000
If you are 40 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $371,000
If you are 30 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $665,000
If you are 20 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $1,119,000

* feel free to audit and correct me if I am wrong.

The above doesn't defer much from my original forecast in 2006. Back then I knew that amount of Minimum sum I had to deal with (for my case) was about half a million dollars. That was a great deal of money for any ordinary employee like me. I made an unrealistic projection of myself working for 30 straight years without a window of unemployment nonetheless.
500,000/30 (years) / 12 (months) = $1,388,
is the amount of money I have to had to put into the CPF on average per month, if circumstances remain the same. So how much monthly salary do I require for me to deposit $1,388 into my CPF account without topping up with cash? On current rates (36%), my salary has to be at least $3,850.

That was a nightmare of a finding to me because of 3 factors that make this totally unrealistic. Obviously, my entry level job during those years was never going to pay me $3,850 or anywhere close to it. In fact, many of my seniors who had worked for a few years did not hit this level of salary range. Even if I did better later on and manage to enjoy a $3,850 monthly wage or higher, how could I possibly make up enough for the deficient years? The second factor was that my assumption of 30 working years would have taken me to 60 years of age at the end of the projection. Many Singaporeans are still unaware that our employer's contribution to our CPF will drop from (the current) 16% to 14% (at 50 - 55 years old) and to 10.5% (at 55 - 60 years old). That will make a huge difference for 10 years worth of working wages. Lastly, of course, it is never realistic to expect employment for the full 30 years without a hiatus.

A possible purchase of a HDB flat was not even considered for this equation.

In short, I knew I was screwed.

I knew I would not be able to withdraw a single cent from my CPF account at age 55. Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that I would be able to withdraw a healthy pension fund elsewhere at the same age. Let's not go there and stick to the topic. What was truly disappointing was that I knew I would not even hit my Minimum Sum if I took an average career path. I might have a chance if I burst a gut (I tried for a few years and got bladder cancer as the prize) but even if I worked that hard, did better than the average and made it, what about the rest of the Singaporeans? Is there any meaning to this if the majority of the population will not be able to make it?
Now for the worse news, even if you hit the Minimum Sum, you will still withdraw nothing at 55 years old because the CPF board only allows you to withdraw anything beyond your Minimum Sum. So yeah, you burst your gut and made it at the last minute. Well done, thank you here is $16.88 for your effort. The rest of your money had been used for purchase an annuity whether you agree to it or not. You will be paid $600 a month for your effort thereafter. Thank you for your participation.

In my opinion, no one should be penalised for failing to amass a certain amount of money in their working career. Singaporeans grow up being guided to a selection of schools (because the rest are deemed shit), channeled to certain units during National Service (whether they like it or not), herded to take up a selection of jobs (because the rest could not pay enough to fulfill your Minimum Sum) and when we finally exhausted all our life capital to head towards the final chapters of life, we cannot even decide the way we want to die. Is that what life is about as a Singaporean?

A Singaporean in Australia
*The author blogs at http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.com.au

Jemini

Alfrescian
Loyal
If based on his equation, the younger generation really ORH BAK KAT liao

If you are 50 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $207,000
If you are 40 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $371,000
If you are 30 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $665,000
If you are 20 years old today, your Minimum Sum by your 55th birthday is likely to be $1,119,000

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Orh bak kat?

No more likely tio sai and cheah sai when they turn 55.

They are just so balless that many are tolerating their environment and living on debts.

The signs of not being able to cope are all written on the walls. The Sinkie choose to ignore it at their peril and still voted for the PAP.

That is why the Ah Longs are having so a good business opportunity here.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What's more frightening is how much simple things such as a loaf of bread would cost after a few decades. Juxtapose that with stagnant wages and getting displaced by foreigners in the job market.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
well the young had better be twice as smart as their dumbass parents who burned their futures for them. How many can earn 4k a month? I wont even blame bond breakers now.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Australia, our version of CPF, Superannuation is run by financial institutions, not govt. So, it is pretty transparent.

This is complementary to our Aged Pension. So, there are 2 safety nets for retirees.

I hope the Australian govt will never consider using Super for other purposes than retirement.

The health system is funded by Medicare tax levy of 1.5% on income and private health funds.

Retirees should not worry that they are deprived of free healthcare.This system has worked so far.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
What when i am retiring my CPF min sum will reach 2 millions?

Now I owe the PAP garmen millions?

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Australia, our version of CPF, Superannuation is run by financial institutions, not govt. So, it is pretty transparent.

This is complementary to our Aged Pension. So, there are 2 safety nets for retirees.

I hope the Australian govt will never consider using Super for other purposes than retirement.

The health system is funded by Medicare tax levy of 1.5% on income and private health funds.

Retirees should not worry that they are deprived of free healthcare.This system has worked so far.

as long as it isnt verbal transparency only you should be fine. if your only one right decision in this life is to leave this miserable island you are already better than the old fools with full cpf and empty pockets

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal

The really scary part is that his equation is based on historical increase in minimum sum. Not some theory he plucked out of thin air.

Not that it is gonna matter, with the declining birth rates and rubbish government policies, a true blue Singaporean son will probably be extinct in 50 years.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Emigration is for the young not just because of CPF.

Emigration is for the young because they deserve better in life. More opportunities out there in the world. I'm not necessarily talking about economic opportunities, but opportunities to lead a more fulfilling life where you can really pursue your deepest interests and broaden your horizons.

CPF is just a minor reason.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I bet you your pension system can't beat the CPF on this : earn returns that are below inflation rate as an average.

Last edited:

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What when i am retiring my CPF min sum will reach 2 millions?

Now I owe the PAP garmen millions?

PAPs ARE ATTACKING SINGAPOREANS BY THIS ATTACK ON ROY
PAPs ARE FIXING THEIR PIANO WIRES AROUND THE NECKS OF SINGAPOREANS
PAPs ARE FIXING THE NECKLACE OF BURNING CAR TYRES ON THE NECKS OF SINGAPOREANS
WILL SINGAPOREANS REMAIN HEAD DOWN DOWN AND ARSEHOLES UP HIGH HIGH FOR PAPs TO FUCK
AND TO TIEW AND TO TIE PIANO WIRES?

TURN UP AT THE RALLY AT HONG LIM TO SUPPORT ROY AND SHOW PAPs WE FIGHT THIS TIME
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Hang those PAP maggots cockroaches with piano wires from lamp posts to make them dance before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
BBQ those PAP maggots cockroaches before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
Cut a few more arseholes into those PAP maggots cockroaches to let out their shit before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
Make those PAP maggots cockroaches eat joss sticks and candle wax before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

GET RID OF THE POISON IN SINGAPORE
HANG ALL THOSE FUCKING PAPs AND THEIR COLLABORATORS
BBQ THE BASTARD PAPs

AND SINGAPORE CAN BE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN SWITZERLAND

OR REMAIN HEAD DOWN DOWN AND ARSEHOLES UP HIGH HIGH TO BE FUCKED TO BE TIEWED TO BE KANNED BY THE PAP MAGGOTS COCKROACHES

Kill them all PAPs
Let GOD sort out the good from the really bad ones
The good PAPs can then eat joss sticks and candle wax from time to time
The bad PAPs like smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY will be raped and tiewed and kanned by legions of ghouls and demons and not ever
get time off to eat joss sticks and candle wax

Hang those PAP maggots cockroaches with piano wires from lamp posts to make them dance before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

BBQ those PAP maggots cockroaches before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

Cut a few more arseholes into those PAP maggots cockroaches to let out their shit before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

Make those PAP maggots cockroaches eat joss sticks and candle wax before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

None of those in PAP work for anyone but that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY, to help him hold down Singaporeans to screw and fuck hundreds of BILLIONs from us all into smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds.

They are there in PAP because LKY know that they are a bunch of self serving greedy bastards and scrapings of scums of society. To call them maggots cockroaches will be to insult real maggots and real cockroaches.
LKY will never allow good decent people into the PAP and good decent people will not want to get into the PAP.

Those in PAP are the most corrupt and moral degenerates and moral bankrupts and moral filths that are being presented to stinkaporeans as moral compasses.

Despite the leeching and fucking of singaporeans by the cheebye PAP and LKY, Singapore still managed to survive to date.
Despite their being hung as a fucking millstones around the necks of Singaporeans and the idiocy and corrupt manipulations of PAP and LKY, Singapore still not dead yet.

WE ALL ARE NOW WAITING FOR THE DEATH OF LKY IN COMING DAYS OR WEEKS.
WE ALL WILL YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AGAIN AND AGAIN DANCING SINGING ON TABLE TOPS AND STREETS

WE THEN WILL SEE THOSE IN PAP WITH SHARPENED KNIVES HOOTING ARSEHLOON A DOZEN NEW ARSEHOLES AND THE DEATH OF THE ENTIRE LEE KWA CLAN

WE THEN WILL PICK UP PIANO WIRES AND HANG ALL THOSE REMAINING PAP AND THEIR COLLABORATORS FROM LAMP POSTS AND SEE THOSE BASTARDS AND BITCHES DANCE.
AND HAPPINESS WILL RETURN TO OUR LAND.

AND STINKAPORE WILL BECOME SINGAPORE ONCE MORE.

https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dumbfuck opposition supporting retard acts just like Roy, anyhow assume

Info is available in CPF website. They clearly stated how much it will raise and why

http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/CPF/my-Cpf/reach-55/Reach55-2.htm

None of those in PAP work for anyone but that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY, to help him hold down Singaporeans to screw and fuck hundreds of BILLIONs from us all into smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds.

They are there in PAP because LKY know that they are a bunch of self serving greedy bastards and scrapings of scums of society. To call them maggots cockroaches will be to insult real maggots and real cockroaches.
LKY will never allow good decent people into the PAP and good decent people will not want to get into the PAP.

Those in PAP are the most corrupt and moral degenerates and moral bankrupts and moral filths that are being presented to stinkaporeans as moral compasses.

Despite the leeching and fucking of singaporeans by the cheebye PAP and LKY, Singapore still managed to survive to date.
Despite their being hung as a fucking millstones around the necks of Singaporeans and the idiocy and corrupt manipulations of PAP and LKY, Singapore still not dead yet.

WE ALL ARE NOW WAITING FOR THE DEATH OF LKY IN COMING DAYS OR WEEKS.
WE ALL WILL YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AGAIN AND AGAIN DANCING SINGING ON TABLE TOPS AND STREETS

WE THEN WILL SEE THOSE IN PAP WITH SHARPENED KNIVES HOOTING ARSEHLOON A DOZEN NEW ARSEHOLES AND THE DEATH OF THE ENTIRE LEE KWA CLAN

WE THEN WILL PICK UP PIANO WIRES AND HANG ALL THOSE REMAINING PAP AND THEIR COLLABORATORS FROM LAMP POSTS AND SEE THOSE BASTARDS AND BITCHES DANCE.
AND HAPPINESS WILL RETURN TO OUR LAND.

AND STINKAPORE WILL BECOME SINGAPORE ONCE MORE.

https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
People failed to see that GRC was not good for them and ignored that too.

This GRC GE paved the way for LKY another 20 more years to screwed Singaporeans nicely.

Singaporeans must wake up further to restore GE into a SMC GE, dump GRC. LHL came into parliament using GRC as backdoor entry and Singaporeans suffered today. You let in an incompetent man and his father put him as PM to screw you nicely and further.

Orh bak kat?

No more likely tio sai and cheah sai when they turn 55.

They are just so balless that many are tolerating their environment and living on debts.

The signs of not being able to cope are all written on the walls. The Sinkie choose to ignore it at their peril and still voted for the PAP.

That is why the Ah Longs are having so a good business opportunity here.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
i already decided to quit stinkypore back in 2004, when i realised most of the friends i've loved have either signed on to be poodles of the gahmen, or fled overseas to find work or to seek their so-called PASSION!!!!!! my family no longer meant anything to me, they've become gahmen parrots just like singveld.... and those were the fuckers who DIDN'T sign on to suck directly on pappies' dicks.

too bad, i failed. i'm still stuck with these poodles(but at least they friendly with me) and a family that pariahs me for not being a model sinkie... earn more than 3K /mth n aircon job, buy HDB with unrealistical 30-year loan, and marry a ciao ah lian who only want to suck my money to buy kate spade is a spade bags. what to do? i carry on. i'll carry on until i see the grave of all my enemies.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Let me guess. This joker migrated to Australia due to the unjust CPF scheme. But yet, he has not renounced his shitizenship and withdraw all his CPF, and instead has left his CPF money in the very institution that he says was planning on screwing him over. And the reason he still kept his SIngapore passport was "just in case" one day he wants to come back. I would say hypocrite to him.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i already decided to quit stinkypore back in 2004, when i realised most of the friends i've loved have either signed on to be poodles of the gahmen, or fled overseas to find work or to seek their so-called PASSION!!!!!! my family no longer meant anything to me, they've become gahmen parrots just like singveld.... and those were the fuckers who DIDN'T sign on to suck directly on pappies' dicks.

too bad, i failed. i'm still stuck with these poodles(but at least they friendly with me) and a family that pariahs me for not being a model sinkie... earn more than 3K /mth n aircon job, buy HDB with unrealistical 30-year loan, and marry a ciao ah lian who only want to suck my money to buy kate spade is a spade bags. what to do? i carry on. i'll carry on until i see the grave of all my enemies.

I think the only real reason that anyone should quit singapore is for the sake of their children. Not for the sake of Money, nor retirement funds, nor better job, nor bigger house, etc. All these are selfish reasons. But quit because you do not want to subject your most precious things in life to the education system, to the PAP brainwashing, and to the spectre of fighting tooth and nail with foreigners for jobs and uni spots that are rightly theirs, to NS, and just the sheer pressure of no fun life in singapore as a 3rd class citizen. Let those old farts like me, with no kids and confirmed bachelor stay behind and fuck the PAP good good at every turn. And wait patiently for the day when they will get voted out, eat shit, and we can go on a revenge vendetta against them. I live for this moment.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The really scary part is that his equation is based on historical increase in minimum sum. Not some theory he plucked out of thin air.

Not that it is gonna matter, with the declining birth rates and rubbish government policies, a true blue Singaporean son will probably be extinct in 50 years.

Extinction? It may not be so but certainly another racial group will emerge in SG. The pinoys. Unheard of in the 1980s or earlier but now, it is almost a certainty. Thanks to the pappies, the pinoys are now everywhere in SG, in business, in the civil service, in the stat boards, etc.

As Putin said it clearly, Russia needs to protect Russians living in south Ukraine and invasion of south Ukraine is justifiable. Does it mean SG will face invasion one day from pinoy land or China or India due to large number of their nationalities in SG? Why not kick all of them out now and avoid such possibility of invasion?

Welcome to work but get out once job is done.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me guess. This joker migrated to Australia due to the unjust CPF scheme. But yet, he has not renounced his shitizenship and withdraw all his CPF, and instead has left his CPF money in the very institution that he says was planning on screwing him over. And the reason he still kept his SIngapore passport was "just in case" one day he wants to come back. I would say hypocrite to him.

Yeah, right. Just like ex-US President Bush said, you are with us or you are not with us. If you want to quit, quit wholesale and don't come back. Forsake your birth country and let it rot. Let the patriots stay behind to right what is wrong in the country to make it better for sinkies.