• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You sure you all want to retire in SGP??

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
there's no way i want to retire in SGP..

i dun think my old heart could handle the fast pace and stressful life in SGP...LOL..

scully kena langa by a car because i walk too slowly...unless i want to retire earlier...

you sure SGP old folks want to retire in SGP??

or they have no other places to go to?

We want to retire here, but can we afford it?
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204282,00.html?

Survey of 2,000 S'poreans
We want to retire here, but can we afford it?
By Lediati Tan

June 07, 2009

YES, I would love to grow old in Singapore, but it's too expensive.

These sentiments were revealed in a study released yesterday on public perception and attitudes towards ageing and seniors.

The study, commissioned by Council for Third Age (C3A), covered 2,000 Singaporeans and permanent residents, aged 16 and above, between last 28 Nov to 23 Dec.

A majority - 74 per cent - expressed their wish to grow old and retire in Singapore, but only 56 per cent felt that it was affordable to do so. (See report on right.)

Significantly, only 47 per cent of those aged 65 and above - the lowest among the six age groups - felt it was affordable to grow old here.

Respondents told The New Paper that medical cost is their top concern. Handyman Bob Lee, 52, said it was a case of 'can die but cannot fall sick'.

He said: 'The cost of living here is very high. When you grow old, there will be more than once when you end up in hospital. The medical bills are very expensive.'

Based on his own experience, Mr Lee said that when he sought treatment at a private hospital, he ended up with a $30,000 hospital bill, of which half was covered by his insurance.

However, marketing communications executive Lee Junxian, 25, and retiree Peggy Chang, 60, felt that Singapore is generally affordable.

Said the younger Mr Lee: 'There's a perception here that it's quite expensive to grow old. But I think that if you plan for retirement, government subsidies are quite sufficient.

'It's really about being prudent. If you are responsible, retiring in Singapore shouldn't be a problem.'

He said that it was important to plan for old age by having adequate health insurance and savings.

He added that insurance coverage and government subsidies helped cover 80 to 90 per cent of his grandfather's dialysis cost.

Agreeing, Madam Chang said: 'You must be prepared. You cannot depend on your children or the Government.

'Those who are not medically fit and are without health insurance, the medical bills can be really expensive, and it will be a problem.'

The older Mr Lee, however, felt that it will be difficult for the average Singaporean to plan for retirement if they are already struggling to make ends meet.

He said: 'For the average person, it's a struggle to make a comfortable living. You can't really think of retirement, unless you are wealthy enough with lots of reserves.

'I look at my friends, and see a lot of people struggling, especially with home mortgage and other things. They cannot make retirement plans themselves.'

Commenting on the results, C3A chairman Gerard Ee stressed the importance of reaching out to all age groups and educating them on retirement planning.

He said: 'People now live a lot longer - which means they need to have a strategy and an idea of the quality of life they would like, and how much they will need to set aside for it, and then save adequately.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SURVEY RESULTS

Those who want to retire in Singapore:

Overall: 74 per cent

Those who think it's affordable to retire in Singapore:

Overall: 56 per cent

Breakdown by age group

16-24 years old: 50 per cent

25-34 years old: 56 per cent

35-44 years old: 59 per cent

45-54 years old: 59 per cent

55-64 years old: 61 per cent

Above 65 years old: 47 per cent

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Folks,

Can I retire in Singapore with :

1) CPF : S$250,000 (ALL)
2) Cash : S$500,000
3) HDB Flat : S$450,000
4) Insurances Policy : S$120,000
6) Investment : S$100,000
7) 1 wife + 3 children

Please advise. Appreciate.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Folks,

Can I retire in Singapore with :

1) CPF : S$250,000 (ALL)
2) Cash : S$500,000
3) HDB Flat : S$450,000
4) Insurances Policy : S$120,000
6) Investment : S$100,000
7) 1 wife + 3 children

Please advise. Appreciate.

Better exclude CPF from your future plans. I suspect you won't be able to touch until you are dead.

Having a HDB flat is a liability. Don't forget that they can upgrade your place & demand you pay for it :eek:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seriously doubt so.

a. You did not factor in the inflation.
b. The Return on your investment.
c. The needs of the kids - education, wedding.
d. Retirement needs - medical, day to day living.

I have 4 kids, the sums that i factored in was in the least $2.8 million. Further more, when you hit the big 40 when you get retrenched, your mortgage is still running and what ever loans or line of credit is stilll running.

After looking at the sum, we decide to migrate to canada. At least Medical in taken care of, when we hit 65 years old, we get Canada Pension Plan (CPP), (OAS) & etc. It will at least allow us to retire with dignity.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seriously doubt so.

a. You did not factor in the inflation.
b. The Return on your investment.
c. The needs of the kids - education, wedding.
d. Retirement needs - medical, day to day living.

I have 4 kids, the sums that i factored in was in the least $2.8 million. Further more, when you hit the big 40 when you get retrenched, your mortgage is still running and what ever loans or line of credit is stilll running.

After looking at the sum, we decide to migrate to canada. At least Medical in taken care of, when we hit 65 years old, we get Canada Pension Plan (CPP), (OAS) & etc. It will at least allow us to retire with dignity.
CPP is only available to you if you have made contributions (employer's share and employee's share through payroll deductions).
I believe that the OAS is based on the number of years of residence in Canada as an adult (please check the government of Canada website).