• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You must try Ubuntu 9.04

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
*starts bowing and worshipping motions* OooooOoohh Great Elder Geek!!~~~ Enlighten me on the dark days of yore!! :wink:

Seriously, respect from me over here. I have an uncle who's into all these too, probably from your time, and he was the one that launched me into the sucking whirlpool (time and money) called computing tech. Never regretted one single iota of it.

It still never fails to amaze me to see how far we've come, my earliest forays were the 80286 days, with 5.25" floppies that I could smack my dog silly with. Also operating a BBS in the early 90s, pleading with my mom to get me a $800 US Robotics 9600baud modem... and subsequently chalking up phone bills of $500++ and getting the modem thrown out of the window...

Ah... good days, good days.

Now that I'm 28, and looking at all these, I just say that yes, UncleYap, we've come a looooong way. Anyway are you found in the ubuntu forums or anywhere? It'll be good to see if in later days we can continue talking about tech there. It's a bit weird to have a tech discussion thread here... so out of place.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8a-smrPlvE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>

Best Linux OS - Ubuntu (Live CD and Install)

This video tutorial is a video tutorial on the process of Downloading an Ubuntu CD Image, Burning to a CD, and then Installing it on your system. This process can be confusing to new users of Linux and this is an attempt at an easy to follow tutorial of this process. All the steps in this video are from the Ubuntu Documentation

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Okay guys i just came across this thread without reading through everything. Is there anyway to get this free? I mean it is freeware right?

I don't mind using it to see the difference. Btw i already have 3 OS why would i need this?

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is free :eek:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

You don't have to install it on your hard disk.

After you download it, burn it onto a CD and run as Live CD or boot from a USB flash drive. Then test run to see if you like the OS or not.

If you like it and decided to install it permanently with your other OS then follow the instructions in the Live CD.

For how to & tips, watch the YouTube video or read through this thread or wait & hope that someone will come along & spoonfeed u. :eek:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is free :eek:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

You don't have to install it on your hard disk.

After you download it, burn it onto a CD and run as Live CD or boot from a USB flash drive. Then test run to see if you like the OS or not.

If you like it and decided to install it permanently with your other OS then follow the instructions in the Live CD.

For how to & tips, watch the YouTube video or read through this thread or wait & hope that someone will come along & spoonfeed u. :eek:

Thanks at over 600 mbs it is okay and thanks to d/l accelerator well it's fine the speed and d/l time is okay.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Okay guys i just came across this thread without reading through everything. Is there anyway to get this free? I mean it is freeware right?

I don't mind using it to see the difference. Btw i already have 3 OS why would i need this?

Because this OS will automatically flash across your screen saying " Worthless Chinks are the best"

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apologise again as i do not have the time to read or watch the video.

Firefox and say MS word can be installed unto this new OS right? Or they have some kind of word processor to be installed unto it right?

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apologise again as i do not have the time to read or watch the video.

Firefox and say MS word can be installed unto this new OS right? Or they have some kind of word processor to be installed unto it right?

Firefox 3.0 is the default browser.
15eidmd.gif

No Microshit Word but OpenOffice which is free & included. To know more about OpenOffice or download click below.

http://www.openoffice.org/index.html

Z

Zombie

I am totally new to Linux, and was never technically trained to play with computer.

I downloaded Ubuntu9.04 only last week, burned into CD and run it as Live-CD (which will not change anything in your harddisk) to try out for a couple of days, before I decided to dump the MS winshit totally for this. (You can actually install two OSs.)

Why I love it?
1) No more BSoDs (I used to get more than 5 times a day from winshit!!!!!!!!)
2) Run so smoothly on my 7 years old P4 machine with only 512 ram. Only hanged 2 times for the past week while the internet pages were loading.
3) Installation is so easy. For myself, I do not need to look for drivers, everything I needed is in the CD.
4) Common softwares are also included - Firefox, Gimp, Openoffice
5) Starting up and shutting off is so fast.

It is also free.

:biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am totally new to Linux, and was never technically trained to play with computer.

I downloaded Ubuntu9.04 only last week, burned into CD and run it as Live-CD (which will not change anything in your harddisk) to try out for a couple of days, before I decided to dump the MS winshit totally for this. (You can actually install two OSs.)

Why I love it?
2) Run so smoothly on my 7 years old P4 machine with only 512 ram. Only hanged 2 times for the past week while the internet pages were loading.
3) Installation is so easy. For myself, I do not need to look for drivers, everything I needed is in the CD.

It is also free.

Hi this OS does not have the drivers for usb ports and my wireless internet and also cannot even play mp3. Where do u get all those drivers to work on the pc?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why I love it?

It is also free.

i hardly ever get any BSODS on my windows OS unless i make the OC too high. It's easy to find drivers for your stuff like sound cards, GPUs, etc.

Z

Zombie

Hi this OS does not have the drivers for usb ports and my wireless internet and also cannot even play mp3. Where do u get all those drivers to work on the pc?

Not sure how to help. :biggrin:
Maybe Live-CD runs the minimal.
I did not purposely install any driver and have no problem with usb.
I copy and paste the wireless help page below for you. (I don't use wireless for my desktop)
Anyway if you can solve wireless issue, you can go to Applications/Add&Remove to find applications for you mp3.

Anyone else can help? :biggrin:

Wireless

* Internet and Networks
* Connecting

To connect to a wireless network:

Ensure that your wireless device is turned on.

Click the NetworkManager icon in the system notification area.

Under Wireless Network click the radio button next to the
network you want to connect to.

If you have connected to the network previously, Ubuntu will automatically connect to the network where it is available.

If you are connecting to a network for the first time, security details may be needed. If so, a dialog box will open. Enter your security details as follows.

In most cases the security type will be detected automatically. If not, select the security type from the Wireless Security drop-down box. This will depend on how the wireless network is set up. Examples of security types are WEP, WPA and LEAP.

Enter the password, key or other authentication details as appropriate.

Click Connect.

If you have a wired network connection as well as an wireless connection,
the wired connection will be used by default.

Z

Zombie

Here is all you need

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Don't tell me you are lazy or too busy to browse through. :rolleyes:

Got worn down by P4 machine with winshit.
I almost dumped the dinosaur into the rubbish chute.
Just too tired. So happy that I don't have to do the same for Ubuntu9.04 installation.

Thanks for showing us where to find help. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
[X] ubuntu 9.04 is a very sweet and friendly platform. Can be used without installation into any HDD - either Live-CD or USB thumb is sufficient to function.

For Core2 or AMD64 users this is a trouble-free way to get 64 bit drivers etc work effortlessly. Everything from OS to drivers to applications are complied 64bit.

It supports huge memory, contrary to MS crap's 3.5GB,DDR2 RAM are so cheap at this moment. S$20/GB around there. Using 64 bit Linux it FULLY unleash the FULL power of Core2 or AMD64 with few GB of RAM.

Lots of poor MS suckers running 32bit version of OS / Driver / Applications using 64 bit computers, what a waste! You are using half a CPU that you had paid for! Especially Vista problems causing people to use 32 bits or worst forced to downgrade to XP and risk MS suing!

There are many users running 32 bit applications because they won't spend to buy everything again in 64 bit. E.g. MS office; anti-virus; Adobe suits; etc. So they are still wasting half of their powerful 64 bit CPU!

Linux gives everything in 64bit together, all in one single ISO file download. From OS to drivers to applications. Not mixing 32 with 64. :wink:

Ripley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most importantly I installed VMWare Player a FOC vitutual machine platform, from which other virtual machines can be run after booting thumb drive. Including MS XP / VISTA or other Linux or Solaris or BSD systems. As long as the thumb drive have enough space, you can put as many virutual PCs inside. You want more space, you can get a 32MB thumb drive.

To run VMWare Player it is FOC license, your RAM must not be too tiny. My own VMs use like 512MB each. If you have 4GB you can simulaneously run several VMs. Your LCD screen better be large enough if you want to see many PC's screens simultanously.

Why VMs? They can not die. They always work. They will not be randered useless by virus or spyware. I SNAPSHOT them. They neednot be booted up nor shut-down. Just like a suspend-resume situation of laptops, except that they will always resume to my SNAPSHOT persistantly. They need no anti-virus no anti-spyware they run FAST! They are not pain in the ass like normal MS craps.

I am new to this VM thing. How much disk space is required to run another OS using VM? Is 2 gig of RAM enough to run one OS and another OS using VM?