• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You die, your business

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Coffee shop small enterprises' sustainability at risk​

July 13, 2022

Is real estate investment by companies with deep pockets going to kill off small enterprises in coffee shops (Worries over price hikes at coffee shops, July 10)?
Few small stallholders have the option of shifting business strategies.
There should be serious deliberation on whether letting landlords call the shots in determining the sustainability of small enterprises is the way forward.
The argument that the market dictates supply and demand is an Economics 101 lesson but may be erroneous in long-term strategic and sustainable nation-building.
Perhaps Forward SG, which seeks to engage all stakeholders, can also look at these issues.

Thomas Lee Hock Seng (Dr)

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Letter of the week: Handle feedback on fire hazards promptly​

sv-fire-190822.jpg

Burned rubble seen at the site of the fire at Block 236 Jurong East Street 21 that killed one person. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

Aug 12, 2022

I was saddened to read that a resident had died in a home fire (1 killed in early morning fire in Jurong East flat, Aug 16).
It was reported that a neighbour who had to be rescued from the fire said the residents of the flat that caught fire had a habit of keeping things, such as household appliances and bags, in the common corridor.
He said he had raised the issue many times since 2012 with Jurong Town Council and the Housing Board, but it was never resolved.
Hoarding is a stubborn issue among some neighbours, and is also difficult to resolve. Sending residents warning letters does not lessen the fire risk in a neighbourhood.
I have two friends who have a neighbour with a hoarding habit. Any responsible home owner would be equally concerned for the safety of his family and home.
As a business owner of a residential facility, I am very familiar with the diligent, stern and prompt actions taken by the Singapore Civil Defence Force towards fire hazards and blockages.
The financial penalty on commercial properties which break the law is severe. This is necessary for the safety of the people present in the building.

For the safety of every home and dwelling place in Singapore, I ask that the authorities handle residential fire hazard feedback with equal urgency and action, before another fire or death occurs.

Andrew Soo

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"After having sent close to a hundred e-mails to various authorities over nine years about his next-door neighbours' hoarding habit and the attendant fire risk, Mr Kumar's worst fears came true when a fire broke out in the early hours of Aug 16."

"Since he bought his four-room flat in 2012, he had spoken to Yuhua MP Grace Fu several times and written to the Housing Board, National Environment Agency, his town council and even the Ministry of National Development (MND) to seek action on the hoarding."

"But Mr Kumar, who is staying with his tenants in a one-room rental flat provided by HDB while they can make other arrangements, feels that not enough action was taken to make sure that the hoarding would stop."

Neighbour of hoarders exhausted all channels to no avail in decade leading up to Jurong East fire​

ads-hoard-270822.jpg

A photo taken in 2019 of the area outside Mr Kumar's flat where hoarded items were placed. PHOTO: MR KUMAR
Yong Li Xuan

Aug 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - After having sent close to a hundred e-mails to various authorities over nine years about his next-door neighbours' hoarding habit and the attendant fire risk, Mr Kumar's worst fears came true when a fire broke out in the early hours of Aug 16.
Noises that sounded like explosions from the outside of his ninth-storey flat at Block 236 Jurong East Street 21 roused Mr Kumar and his two tenants, who woke up to a wall of fire so high it licked the ceiling outside the flat.
Acrid, black smoke crept in through the gaps in the windows and doors, and filled the flat with the "poisonous" smell of burning plastic, he recalled.
"I thought my life would end there," said the 56-year-old, who declined to provide his full name.
Finally, the three men were rescued by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). Mr Kumar said the first thing he did was to ask the firefighters if his neighbours had managed to get out.
Ms Huang Xiumei, 50, survived. But her brother Mr Huang Mingquan, 48, perished in the fire.
Mr Kumar said he was saddened by his death, which need not have happened if the hoarding behaviour had been addressed. His experience reflects the daunting task that those living next to a hoarder face in trying to change their situation.

Since he bought his four-room flat in 2012, he had spoken to Yuhua MP Grace Fu several times and written to the Housing Board, National Environment Agency, his town council and even the Ministry of National Development (MND) to seek action on the hoarding.
In a response to queries from The Straits Times, Ms Fu, who is also Minister for Sustainability and the Environment, said Mr Kumar's feedback was taken seriously and HDB, the town council and grassroots leaders had worked to engage his neighbour.
"I understand that the family has been unresponsive, ignoring the calls of HDB and the town council," she said. "Over time, their immediate family members have moved out. Only the owner and his sister resided in the flat."

But Mr Kumar, who is staying with his tenants in a one-room rental flat provided by HDB while they can make other arrangements, feels that not enough action was taken to make sure that the hoarding would stop.
He said that though the corridor would be cleared by the authorities after his complaints, items would soon accumulate again. And so the cycle continued.
"To be frank, I was expecting the fire any time," he added. "I tried my level best to convince the authorities, each and every one, that there's a fire issue. But nobody took care of it."
Among the items his neighbours collected were plastic bottles, cans, shoes and old clothes, piled up in plastic bags.
"It smelled like rotten food," he said. "Really suffocating."
ac_burntflat_290822.jpg

The inside of the burnt flat, where many items had been stored. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
Mr Kumar said it was so bad that he did not want to go home when he was out or leave his home once he returned, as he dreaded walking past the hoard of items.
"Other people always open their doors. But once I open my door, the smell comes in," he said. "I hate this place."
He said that in 2012, he applied for a Build-to-Order (BTO) flat at Skyline II, a development at Bukit Batok Street 22. But when it was time to collect the keys in 2017, he could not sell his current place, even after a three-month extension from HDB before payments would be due.
Mr Kumar said three property agents conducted 20 viewings over six months, but no one made an offer because of his neighbours.
He said he had to forfeit $30,000, which was the deposit for the BTO flat and other fees.

In 2013, the family decided that his homemaker wife and three-year-old daughter, who is allergic to dust, would return to India to live with his in-laws. Mr Kumar's 22-year-old son still lives in the flat, but was overseas when the fire occurred.
"I want to make a living. That's why I didn't go back with them," the IT analyst said, still hopeful that he could one day sell the flat and reunite with his family. "I miss my daughter a lot. I didn't experience her childhood with her."
Asked if he had tried to engage his neighbours, Mr Kumar said he could not communicate with them, as they spoke Mandarin.
He said he hopes the authorities will take stricter enforcement action against hoarders, for instance by conducting periodic checks and taking action if there is persistent and excessive clutter in a flat.
"From my perspective, they're not taking enough action. It's not effective," he said.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"After having sent close to a hundred e-mails to various authorities over nine years about his next-door neighbours' hoarding habit and the attendant fire risk, Mr Kumar's worst fears came true when a fire broke out in the early hours of Aug 16."

"Since he bought his four-room flat in 2012, he had spoken to Yuhua MP Grace Fu several times and written to the Housing Board, National Environment Agency, his town council and even the Ministry of National Development (MND) to seek action on the hoarding."

"But Mr Kumar, who is staying with his tenants in a one-room rental flat provided by HDB while they can make other arrangements, feels that not enough action was taken to make sure that the hoarding would stop."

Neighbour of hoarders exhausted all channels to no avail in decade leading up to Jurong East fire​

ads-hoard-270822.jpg

A photo taken in 2019 of the area outside Mr Kumar's flat where hoarded items were placed. PHOTO: MR KUMAR
Yong Li Xuan

Aug 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - After having sent close to a hundred e-mails to various authorities over nine years about his next-door neighbours' hoarding habit and the attendant fire risk, Mr Kumar's worst fears came true when a fire broke out in the early hours of Aug 16.
Noises that sounded like explosions from the outside of his ninth-storey flat at Block 236 Jurong East Street 21 roused Mr Kumar and his two tenants, who woke up to a wall of fire so high it licked the ceiling outside the flat.
Acrid, black smoke crept in through the gaps in the windows and doors, and filled the flat with the "poisonous" smell of burning plastic, he recalled.
"I thought my life would end there," said the 56-year-old, who declined to provide his full name.
Finally, the three men were rescued by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). Mr Kumar said the first thing he did was to ask the firefighters if his neighbours had managed to get out.
Ms Huang Xiumei, 50, survived. But her brother Mr Huang Mingquan, 48, perished in the fire.
Mr Kumar said he was saddened by his death, which need not have happened if the hoarding behaviour had been addressed. His experience reflects the daunting task that those living next to a hoarder face in trying to change their situation.

Since he bought his four-room flat in 2012, he had spoken to Yuhua MP Grace Fu several times and written to the Housing Board, National Environment Agency, his town council and even the Ministry of National Development (MND) to seek action on the hoarding.
In a response to queries from The Straits Times, Ms Fu, who is also Minister for Sustainability and the Environment, said Mr Kumar's feedback was taken seriously and HDB, the town council and grassroots leaders had worked to engage his neighbour.
"I understand that the family has been unresponsive, ignoring the calls of HDB and the town council," she said. "Over time, their immediate family members have moved out. Only the owner and his sister resided in the flat."

But Mr Kumar, who is staying with his tenants in a one-room rental flat provided by HDB while they can make other arrangements, feels that not enough action was taken to make sure that the hoarding would stop.
He said that though the corridor would be cleared by the authorities after his complaints, items would soon accumulate again. And so the cycle continued.
"To be frank, I was expecting the fire any time," he added. "I tried my level best to convince the authorities, each and every one, that there's a fire issue. But nobody took care of it."
Among the items his neighbours collected were plastic bottles, cans, shoes and old clothes, piled up in plastic bags.
"It smelled like rotten food," he said. "Really suffocating."
ac_burntflat_290822.jpg

The inside of the burnt flat, where many items had been stored. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
Mr Kumar said it was so bad that he did not want to go home when he was out or leave his home once he returned, as he dreaded walking past the hoard of items.
"Other people always open their doors. But once I open my door, the smell comes in," he said. "I hate this place."
He said that in 2012, he applied for a Build-to-Order (BTO) flat at Skyline II, a development at Bukit Batok Street 22. But when it was time to collect the keys in 2017, he could not sell his current place, even after a three-month extension from HDB before payments would be due.
Mr Kumar said three property agents conducted 20 viewings over six months, but no one made an offer because of his neighbours.
He said he had to forfeit $30,000, which was the deposit for the BTO flat and other fees.

In 2013, the family decided that his homemaker wife and three-year-old daughter, who is allergic to dust, would return to India to live with his in-laws. Mr Kumar's 22-year-old son still lives in the flat, but was overseas when the fire occurred.
"I want to make a living. That's why I didn't go back with them," the IT analyst said, still hopeful that he could one day sell the flat and reunite with his family. "I miss my daughter a lot. I didn't experience her childhood with her."
Asked if he had tried to engage his neighbours, Mr Kumar said he could not communicate with them, as they spoke Mandarin.
He said he hopes the authorities will take stricter enforcement action against hoarders, for instance by conducting periodic checks and taking action if there is persistent and excessive clutter in a flat.
"From my perspective, they're not taking enough action. It's not effective," he said.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Some seniors bear brunt of inflation as children give them less money​

md_elderly1_27082022.jpg

As the rate of core inflation goes up, seniors in Singapore aged 65 and above are bearing the brunt of inflationary pressures. PHOTO: ST FILE
AK_sa_170122.png

Shermaine Ang

Aug 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - Divorcee Chua Lye Tszio, 78, who lives alone in a rental flat in Tampines and does not have a retirement fund, gets by on $600 a month from her four daughters.
But the amount is getting increasingly hard to stretch, with core inflation rate hitting a 13-year high of 4.8 per cent, and overall inflation reaching 7 per cent in July.
As the rate of core inflation goes up, seniors in Singapore aged 65 and above are bearing the brunt of inflationary pressures.
They have been receiving a smaller amount of cash allowance from their loved ones, according to a study by the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board. At the same time, higher consumer prices have raised their expenses to 96 per cent of their income, higher than the average of 64 per cent, a DBS study showed.
The latest Retirement and Health Study by the CPF Board showed that the share of seniors who received cash allowance from their children dropped from 69 per cent in the two-year period from 2018 to 2019 to 64 per cent in the 2020 to 2021 period. Those who have a monthly allowance got 4 per cent less in 2020, from $500 to $480.
The board said this could be a reflection of the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, when their children cut back on their cash allowances.
In the survey, 12,000 to 15,000 individuals were interviewed every two years since 2014 on their retirement and health needs.

Meanwhile, the DBS study found that those aged 58 to 76 have an expense-to-income ratio of 96 per cent, compared with 64 per cent for the average DBS customer.
"This suggests lower bandwidth among (baby) boomers, including seniors, to tackle inflationary pressures going forward," senior economist Irvin Seah from DBS Group Research told The Straits Times.
"Though inflation will remain elevated this year, there are signs that it is near its peak, judging from the moderation in global prices for food, energy and commodities in the past three months," he added.

Mr Seah said that from May 2021 to May this year, baby boomers' spending on shopping increased the most, with a 47 per cent spike, followed by transport spending, which rose 44 per cent, and food spending, which rose 26 per cent.
The three largest components of spending are typically food, transport, and housing and utilities, he said.
He suggested that baby boomers can consider cutting discretionary spending, such as shopping.

But some seniors like Madam Chua do not have this option - she is already spending only on necessities.
While she thinks $600 a month is hard to live on, it is enough for her as she lives simply, she said.
"(The amount) is just nice... As long as there's enough to eat, I don't ask for more."
She usually cooks simple meals of rice with egg, sardines or luncheon meat, and spends her days in the Lions Befrienders Seniors Activity Centre in her housing block.
She visits the doctor once or twice a month for her asthma and knee pain, and her daughters foot the bill.
She told ST she does not want to ask any of her daughters for more allowance as they have children to support and are trying to make ends meet themselves.
While she is concerned about inflation and the rising cost of living, she does not see the point of fretting over them. "It's no use to worry," she said.
Economics lecturer Eric Yeo, 34, gives his parents $600 a month.
As he gives them a fixed percentage of his income, the amount has increased over the years, but Mr Yeo is not raising the amount this year as he has to support his children, aged five and one.
"My parents are not too worried (about inflation); they're not big spenders," he said, adding that he has two siblings helping to support his parents.
He is cutting back on his expenses as well, taking his children to free playgrounds rather than paid ones and having less artisanal ice cream, for instance.
"But not to the point of feeling deprived," he added. "I'm not that concerned about inflation as I think it is short term."

Mr Joe Tan, who heads integrated case management at Care Corner Seniors Services, said some of his clients' children saw their finances impacted by the pandemic, on top of having to cope with inflation and the increased cost of their parents' healthcare needs. Middle-income workers may not qualify for financial support, which may add to their family's financial burdens, he added.
He said children may cut back on their parents' cash allowance when their incomes do not increase in tandem with price hikes. Trouble arises when seniors compensate for this by eating less or lower-quality food or skipping medical appointments, he said.
Some seniors delay asking their children for financial help for fear of burdening them, or straining their relationship further, he added.
Lions Befrienders chairman Anthony Tay said the Government has made employment available for seniors who want to return to the workforce, where job redesign, job matching and skills upgrading are offered at a very low cost.
He said micro jobs with flexible hours may also benefit seniors.
The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) said there are sources of retirement support for elderly Singaporeans, such as the Pioneer and Merdeka Generation packages and the Silver Support Scheme. The payout amounts have been increased for the scheme since January last year to strengthen support for seniors with lesser means.
Those who need help can call the ComCare hotline on 1800-222-0000 or approach the nearest Social Service Office, MSF added.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Some seniors still have trouble getting polyclinic appointments with mobile apps​

Aug 31, 2022

I refer to the letter, "Mobile apps may present challenges to seniors" (Aug 25).
I am a senior and last week I wanted to see a doctor for pain in my feet. To book an appointment at Queenstown Polyclinic, I called the appointment hotline several times for two days.
Each time, an automated message told me the operators were busy, and I should try the OneNUHS app or wait on the line.
On the third day, I finally managed to get an appointment. Those were three very painful days.
While at the polyclinic, I had to wait for 45 minutes at the reception to get a referral for a podiatrist. In that time, I observed the following:
  • A man in his late 70s complained that he could not get a same-day appointment since the day before. He did not own a smartphone and was not familiar with how to use one, and said he could not keep borrowing one from others. The reception staff tried to show him how to use a smartphone, but he could not understand, and they booked an appointment for him.
  • Another man in his 60s walked in with his hands trembling badly. He too said he could not use the app. Seeing his condition, the staff booked an appointment for him that was in two hours' time.
  • A young woman walked in pushing an elderly woman in a wheelchair. She told the staff the app was not working for her and terminated before she could get an appointment. She demonstrated this to the staff, who got the same result.
These incidents demonstrate what some seniors have to go through for basic services. When looking at productivity gains, the time wasted by some in using the app must also be considered.
Not everyone has the means to own a smartphone. Maybe this rush for digitalisation should be relooked to ensure that some are not left behind.

Pradeep K. Mathur

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: No one-size-fits-all solution for helping seniors navigate online banking services​

Sep 7, 2022

I thank Ms Gan Boey Keow for highlighting in her letter the plight of many seniors who have had to wait hours to have their banking needs attended to (Long queues due to fewer manned branches, Aug 23).
I find that DBS Bank's reply (Staff present at self-service bank branches to guide customers, Aug 29) did not suggest effective solutions.
Saying that most of the popular transactions over the counter can now be done online or at more than 1,300 self-service machines available 24/7 is not helpful for the seniors who do not know how to use the machines. The staff present also cannot stop the long queues from forming.
Though many transactions, including opening an account, can now be done via Internet banking or self-service machines, certain groups of people may need some hand-holding.
DBS should study the ability profile of customers and their banking needs, and implement appropriate solutions. There is no one-size-fits-all solution.
There are seniors with no ability to do online banking on their own, as well as those with special needs. They should be given a special queue number to be served in person.
Then there are those who can be taught on the spot how to use Internet banking or a self-service machine. Some hand-holding by DBS staff will be needed to show them how. Perhaps customers could also be given a printed guide to try out these steps on their own at home.

There are also people who, though capable of online banking, prefer a face-to-face interaction - they should be required to queue.
I hope that banks will consider my suggestions, and that the Monetary Authority of Singapore will steer banks in the right direction.

Seah Guan Hai

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: No proof of income means I may have to forgo previous benefits of credit card​

Sep 12, 2022

I am from the Pioneer Generation and have been retired for several years now.
All these years, I've been using the Plus! credit card and enjoying the discounts and credit facility the card gives.
Another bank has now taken over the credit facility. Now, I have to reapply for a new card to enjoy the same privileges and facilities.
Unfortunately, having been retired for several years now, I do not have proof of any employment and/or income.
Not once over the years have I defaulted in settling my monthly bills. Now, through no fault of mine, I will not have access to the same facilities and discounts any more.
As more and more retirees come on board, what measures are being put in place so that retirees are not disadvantaged by such changes?

Ajit Singh Nagpal

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Not easy for private-hire drivers to seek redress for fare evasion​

SEP 21, 2022

I am a private-hire driver who has finally decided to seek redress after experiencing my fourth case of fare evasion this year.
Fare evasion is an offence, but my attempts to lodge a report have not been successful.
The ride-hailing operator insists that it cannot resolve the case without being informed in writing by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to do so.
The police informed me that they would not be investigating my case and could only lodge a report on my behalf.
The LTA does not permit walk-in appointments, and also does not provide the option of making an appointment online for fare evasion cases. I called its hotline and managed to speak to an employee after a long wait, but was told that he could not make an appointment on my behalf. What ensued was me being bounced from one employee to another over the next four days.
After speaking to other private-hire drivers, it seems cases of fare evasion are not uncommon, but many do not want to go through the hassle of corresponding with the LTA. Given the under-reporting, I wonder how pervasive the offence is.
Why is fare evasion within the LTA's purview when it seems ill equipped to resolve such cases?

Ng Li Meng

Peace Maker

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government help is only limited. Many of my older working colleagues from different departments who had retired earlier had spend a large proportion of their money on gambling, drinking, womanizing, smoking leaving behind only meagre sum for survival. So whose fault is it? We need to have our own retirement financial planning ourselves rather than waiting for government hand out. Come to think of it, why should I help someone who don't bother to budget & spend their retirement money wisely. Sorry to say, many of those picking cardboard uncles & aunties don't plan when they were young or had bad spending habits. Some, I agreed due to sick children, paralyzed husband or other health reasons spend all their lives saving but not many. As a matter of fact, when we are young, we must take care of our health, don't take too much sugar, salt, quit smoking & drinking etc. Many (not all) of these pitiful oldies only got themselves to blame.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
a turd world sh*thole run by chinks

this is exactly what you get with inferior slanties running the show

in comparison, in malaysia everyone can enjoy free healthcare or nominal healthcare at 1RM.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Cost should not be obstacle to preventing accidents​

Sep 28, 2022

It was disappointing to read that national water agency PUB said the probability of a cyclist suffering moderate to serious injury from an accident involving a drain grating was 0.00001 per cent annually (Cyclist sues PUB for at least $578k after accident involving drain grating, Sept 7).
Such accidents could lead to serious injuries. I am disappointed that PUB is not taking a stance of "one injury is one too many".
PUB said the cost of inspecting gratings and replacing affected ones would be astronomical, but it should also consider the costs incurred when a person suffers a serious injury.

Danny Chow

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Companies may use terms to their advantage in insurance payouts​

Oct 7, 2022

I recently made an insurance claim for a heart procedure known as angioplasty.
This procedure falls under one of the critical illness criteria set out by my insurance company.
I sent in the documents requested, including my surgeon's diagnosis and discharge summary.
It was clearly stated in the discharge summary the date of my procedure as well as the medical terminology used for the procedure - percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty.
I received a letter of rejection from the insurance company, saying the procedure I underwent was percutaneous coronary intervention.
This medical term refers to the same procedure as quoted by my surgeon in the discharge summary, but avoided the term "angioplasty".
The avoidance of the word saved the company the payout, as "angioplasty" is the term used in its critical illness definitions.

With the advice of my legal team, I wrote to the company, highlighting its unethical means of rejecting a genuine claim.
The company admitted its liability after about a month and made the payout eventually.
The entire episode was termed as "feedback" to the organisation.
Many Singaporeans from all walks of life might have encountered a similar situation as mine.
Some might not have the knowledge or awareness to challenge the outcomes because the companies may use terms to their advantage.
The average Joe may suffer in silence while struggling with bills and getting swept aside by the big companies.

James Koh

Splendicker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forum: No proof of income means I may have to forgo previous benefits of credit card​

Sep 12, 2022

I am from the Pioneer Generation and have been retired for several years now.
All these years, I've been using the Plus! credit card and enjoying the discounts and credit facility the card gives.
Another bank has now taken over the credit facility. Now, I have to reapply for a new card to enjoy the same privileges and facilities.
Unfortunately, having been retired for several years now, I do not have proof of any employment and/or income.
Not once over the years have I defaulted in settling my monthly bills. Now, through no fault of mine, I will not have access to the same facilities and discounts any more.
As more and more retirees come on board, what measures are being put in place so that retirees are not disadvantaged by such changes?

Ajit Singh Nagpal

I have the same deluge with OCBC Plus card...
Apply for Trust Bank debit card (saving account), you can have NTUC link points credit, free NTUC cash coupons, Petrol and other coupons discount.
Can use my referral code M4H4Z9GX as a gift of appreciation.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Physical certificates still have value in marking key milestones​

Oct 13, 2022

Since May 29, physical death certificates have not been issued, which, according to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, is a move to make the administrative process easier for next of kin.
While this is a pragmatic move, we must avoid creating a future where digitalisation is a zero-sum game and Singaporeans are denied a choice between digital and physical copies of significant personal documents.
In phasing out physical certificates entirely, we may, in fact, devalue milestones in our lives and the lives of our loved ones.
Personally, I am uncomfortable with the thought that the death of my loved ones is tucked away in an app and their legacy defined by the data inscribed on my devices.
Such a dislocation will surely be particularly striking for parents with stillborn children.
For such bereaved parents, it would be comforting for them if they are given the option of a physical death certificate, as it might be the sole physical memory of their child that they can hold on to.

While I can understand the administrative rationale for digitalisation, we should also provide a more humane and dignified touch to how death is remembered in Singapore.

Singapore's move towards digitalisation should rightfully create value for the citizenry, with greater streamlining, convenience and accessibility, but it should not create a nation where citizens become mere data and where digitalisation becomes a self-evident fact in an efficient bureaucracy, and life processes are managed and processed without physical interfaces.
Human lives and our loved ones are more than mere ghosts in our digital machines.
But at the same time, in an information age, digital afterlives are but a natural consequence, a reality that elicits questions on data security, ethics, grief and memory.
The digitalisation of our lives should compel us to think about how we want our online assets to be managed after we die and the steps we might need to take to do so.
The constant use of technology has drastically changed the options that are available to document a person's life, mourn someone's death and preserve one's legacy.
More fundamentally, while understanding its pitfalls, we should harness the opportunities offered by technology to reframe our relationship with death, how we choose to remember and be remembered, and the anatomy of grief and mourning in a digital age.
A policy, a process or even a law will not necessarily do that. A conversation on our digital assets will.

Bernard Chen Jiaxi

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Intermittent loud sounds detrimental to residents’ mental health​

Oct 27, 2022

I refer to Mr Solomon Tan’s letter addressing the deficiencies of sound barriers used at construction sites (‘Sound barrier’ does not do its job, Oct 17).
The National Environment Agency’s (NEA) reply did not sufficiently address the issue (Enforcement action taken if sound barriers are ineffective, Oct 22).
My recent complaint to NEA on noise pollution through my MP was met with a similar answer: “The noise levels are at acceptable levels as monitored by the noise meters at the site”.
I was told that although the noise levels exceeded the set limit, it must be continuous to be considered unacceptable by NEA.
In my case, the loud banging noises come in sudden bursts ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes that take place throughout the day.
These intermittent sounds jolt residents throughout the day and can be detrimental to our mental health. Previously, a similar development nearby did not have such loud banging noises.
Perhaps NEA should look into site practices which are causing such loud intermittent noises.

Chan Hong Hei

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
If my uncle is right this kind of case is the other party will need to absorb the cost incurred by the suing party after the court session as this is a guaranteed win case.
yes, but how much time and money you got to put in the 1st place?

in law as in medicine there is no such thing as guaranteed win. any doctors and lawyers here can easily back me up on this. should be guaranteed win, but sometimes got something come out of nowhere, guaranteed win become lose.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
If got evidence by means of photo or in this case, video, the cops should be able to validate who was at fault, summon the other driver for not reporting and causing the accident and insurance company can claim ftom the other car for the accident.
I dunno why they did not do so.
wah lau eh, if there is no physical injury to any person, the police stay completely out of it. no matter wtf evidence there is. It's a cost-saving measure dreamed up nong, nong ago by god knows which dickhead. by right, it is a necessary function of policework.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forum: Physical certificates still have value in marking key milestones​

Oct 13, 2022

Since May 29, physical death certificates have not been issued, which, according to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, is a move to make the administrative process easier for next of kin.
While this is a pragmatic move, we must avoid creating a future where digitalisation is a zero-sum game and Singaporeans are denied a choice between digital and physical copies of significant personal documents.
In phasing out physical certificates entirely, we may, in fact, devalue milestones in our lives and the lives of our loved ones.
Personally, I am uncomfortable with the thought that the death of my loved ones is tucked away in an app and their legacy defined by the data inscribed on my devices.
Such a dislocation will surely be particularly striking for parents with stillborn children.
For such bereaved parents, it would be comforting for them if they are given the option of a physical death certificate, as it might be the sole physical memory of their child that they can hold on to.

While I can understand the administrative rationale for digitalisation, we should also provide a more humane and dignified touch to how death is remembered in Singapore.

Singapore's move towards digitalisation should rightfully create value for the citizenry, with greater streamlining, convenience and accessibility, but it should not create a nation where citizens become mere data and where digitalisation becomes a self-evident fact in an efficient bureaucracy, and life processes are managed and processed without physical interfaces.
Human lives and our loved ones are more than mere ghosts in our digital machines.
But at the same time, in an information age, digital afterlives are but a natural consequence, a reality that elicits questions on data security, ethics, grief and memory.
The digitalisation of our lives should compel us to think about how we want our online assets to be managed after we die and the steps we might need to take to do so.
The constant use of technology has drastically changed the options that are available to document a person's life, mourn someone's death and preserve one's legacy.
More fundamentally, while understanding its pitfalls, we should harness the opportunities offered by technology to reframe our relationship with death, how we choose to remember and be remembered, and the anatomy of grief and mourning in a digital age.
A policy, a process or even a law will not necessarily do that. A conversation on our digital assets will.

Bernard Chen Jiaxi
good luck with such an important document being digital only. Really too much cut cost until like that. Asking for more fraud.:FU: