• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yong Vui Kong’s family pleads at Istana

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I thought police always very efficient to come and remove them like CSJ before the press even comes ?

this one cannot " siam " cause another country citizen is involved..must be 'Diplomatic " abit lah ...:wink:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
You left out one important consequence. If they let him off the hook, M Ravi will dislodge Subhas as the 'media' counsel for drug related offences, and perhaps, other capital cases as well. M Ravi's status as a 'human rights' lawyer will take a quantum leap, even though I doubt he studied human rights law as a student. Well, you could not have asked for a better form of publicity than this.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting that M Ravi may have been motivated that way. But the outcome is obvious.

Back to Yong. In fact he was already prepared to serve the death sentence. I read somewhere that the monk or pastor came to speak to him, and he was already geared up for such eventuality. Now with the frenzy over the possibility of a second chance, his mental status will have been severely disturbed. The analogy is like a young recruit who is serving his BMT, and his mind keeps thinking of how to 'keng' out of course. He will surely find the BMT tough because his mind is conditioned in the opposite way.

You're absolutely spot on that the media has been romanticizing Yong, and with the frequent mention of Yong's parents, selling 'parental love'. I would like to read a more detailed coverage of their parental love. How did they bring up Yong ? And how did the upbringing end up with Yong becoming a drug mule ? Drugs suppliers don't just go for anyone in the street. Did the parents even express regret for the way they have brought up Yong ? This would have been a good education for parents of aspiring drug mules, on the importance of proper upbringing.

I got to give credit to M Ravi for working very hard for every 'human rights' case but his motive remains questionable and somewhat lack sincerity. As you said, this case does bring in lots of publicity and if Vui Kong was pardoned, he will emerge the "winner".

I am sure Vui Kong do know the strict laws here, hence he was prepared to die. Some opportunists from the Opposition are using this case to showcase Prataman and PAP as "heartless, bloodthirsty murderers". It is natural of SDP to jump on this bandwagon and champion their "human rights" and Western democracy ideals.

I am peeved that the supporters and friends of Vui Kong seems to be blaming the PAP for their problems when it is obviously, the fault of Vui Kong for succumbing to temptations of quick money. Even the parents seem to be shunning their responsibilities and quick to push it to the Govt. Vui Kong is no dumb, naive innocent twit. He did it several times before getting caught and he earned money for that. If he had not been caught, only Heaven can tell whether he will be living in a nice bungalow with many cars while breaking up other families with his drugs.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am sure Vui Kong do know the strict laws here, hence he was prepared to die. Some opportunists from the Opposition are using this case to showcase Prataman and PAP as "heartless, bloodthirsty murderers". It is natural of SDP to jump on this bandwagon and champion their "human rights" and Western democracy ideals.

I am peeved that the supporters and friends of Vui Kong seems to be blaming the PAP for their problems when it is obviously, the fault of Vui Kong for succumbing to temptations of quick money. Even the parents seem to be shunning their responsibilities and quick to push it to the Govt. Vui Kong is no dumb, naive innocent twit. He did it several times before getting caught and he earned money for that. If he had not been caught, only Heaven can tell whether he will be living in a nice bungalow with many cars while breaking up other families with his drugs.

Yes, Malaysia has death penalty for drug trafficking too. All Singaporeans and Malaysians know that since childhood. The don't love Yong or his family have a case or cause for him. They're just using his case politically and for publicity. If PAP abolished death penalty, they'd be petitioning for murderers and drugs traffickers to be sentenced to death in the name of justice and deterrent.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TOKYO — Japan's justice minister, a foe of capital punishment, announced a review of the death penalty Wednesday after witnessing the first executions since her centre-left government took power last year.

The two male convicts hanged were Kazuo Shinozawa, 59, who killed six people by setting fire to a jewellery store, and Hidenori Ogata, 33, convicted of killing a man and a woman and seriously injuring two others.
Keiko Chiba, the first justice minister to personally watch a government execution, carried out at the Tokyo Detention House, afterwards told media she wanted a ministry study group to review the practice.

"I confirmed the executions with my own eyes," said Chiba. "It made me again think deeply about the death penalty, and I once again strongly felt that there is a need for a fundamental discussion about the death penalty."

She also said she would open up death chambers to the media for the first time -- though not on execution dates -- to expose to public scrutiny the mechanics of a process that has long been shrouded in secrecy.

Japan is the only industrialised democracy, apart from the United States, to carry out capital punishment -- usually for "MULTIPLE HOMICIDES ".

The country last executed prisoners exactly a year earlier, when the conservative Liberal Democratic Party still ruled the country, putting to death three inmates including one Chinese national, also for multiple murder.
When the centre-left Democratic Party of Japan took power last September, ending more than half a century of conservative rule, it said it favoured public discussion on the death penalty.

The new government also sent a signal by appointing Chiba -- then a member of the Japan Parliamentary League against the Death Penalty -- as justice minister, while largely avoiding open debate on the issue.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan has had heated discussions with his wife Nobuko about the death penalty, according to a book she published last week.

"We are totally divided as I strongly believe the death penalty should be abolished," she said. She wrote that Kan agreed capital punishment does not stop murders but also argued there was no public will for its abolition.

Naoto Nonaka, politics professor at Gakushuin University in Tokyo, said: "It's good to start a study. This is a matter to be handled in a bipartisan way.

Makoto Teranaka, secretary-general of Amnesty International Japan, called the executions "regrettable" and said: "Minister Chiba said she wants to start a study on capital punishment, but Japan should first freeze all executions."

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
when the buying stop ..the supply will stop too ..

this is the only way to stop people from bringing drugs to singapore . cause there are no market for it !!! death penalty cannot stop the roots to the drugs problems . if the goverment cannot solve the drugs problem ...please dont create another problem .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
end of the day , the drugs boss will be shaking their legs cause it is just another mule/ scapegoat .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you dare to do the crime then please be willing to do the time.

Dun be a coward and ask for 2nd chance after being caught. The world dun need a person who may turn to become a drug trafficker again.

Its about correcting flaws in the legal system and about righting disjunctures between the spirit and letter of the law with regards to drug trafficking. What kind of argument is ” if you dont wanna die, just dont have anything to do with drugs.” Im not sure how that argument would stand if you were a parent, and your child got caught up in recreational drugs but was seen as a “trafficker” under the very liberal definitions our courts have , and was given a mandatory sentence. :oIo:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He deserves no mercy. Just because he was young when he was caught and have many supporters, does not mean he can get away with such a hideous crime. What if he had not been caught? More families would be broken up because of his actions.

Close association does not reflect a causal effect , this is a common misrepresentation of scientific studies. Correlation does not mean causation. If A is taking place and B takes place as well, doesn’t mean A is causing B. It could mean an unknown C is causing B, and A is a surrogate indicator !

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
it is the drug syndicate that had send to his death sentence by asking him to be a drug courier

yes , hes stupid to carry out the order . stupidness cannot cause a life . if not there will be many PAP dog hanging now .

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
is it difficult to find drug in thailand ? dont forget , they have death penalty for drugs traffickers too .:wink:

Correct. But the difference lies in the strict enforcement of the Singaporean police compared to the lax enforcement of the Thai police.

when the buying stop ..the supply will stop too ..

this is the only way to stop people from bringing drugs to singapore . cause there are no market for it !!! death penalty cannot stop the roots to the drugs problems . if the goverment cannot solve the drugs problem ...please dont create another problem .

This is true. Law of economics say that no demand = no supply. But how is the Govt going to weed out those who want drugs or those who hate drugs? It is not right to just sit there and do nothing. Sure they may have created another problem, but it is still better than nothing done.

Needless to say, this is a good post.

Close association does not reflect a causal effect , this is a common misrepresentation of scientific studies. Correlation does not mean causation. If A is taking place and B takes place as well, doesn’t mean A is causing B. It could mean an unknown C is causing B, and A is a surrogate indicator !

Quite agree with you. :o

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many people misunderstand the meaning of drug trafficking. It doesn't only mean bringing it across border into Singapore. It also means moving drugs within Singapore for the purpose of transacting to others even if the drugs are already in Singapore.

In Thailand, rural farmers, if they like, could grow poppy or marijuana or whatever they want to smoke themselves high to whatever heaven. Technically still illegal but who cares, and hard to care. However, mass production for trafficking is a death penalty offence when caught even made in Thailand and sold in Thailand, because affects most the urban middle class who're supposed to be pillars of the country and economy.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Correct. But the difference lies in the strict enforcement of the Singaporean police compared to the lax enforcement of the Thai police.

the real reason is not because singapore police is doing a good job compare to thai ( although i know how thai enforcement officer work ) it is because there are too many poor people in thailand ..and they need money badly . even woman at young age working as pros .

This is true. Law of economics say that no demand = no supply. But how is the Govt going to weed out those who want drugs or those who hate drugs? It is not right to just sit there and do nothing. Sure they may have created another problem, but it is still better than nothing done.

as i always say , singapore goverment always chose the easy way out to solve problem , but being pay highly every year . death penalty is the easy way out , same as banning chewing gum . and now , we are not talking about gums, its about life ...

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, Malaysia has death penalty for drug trafficking too. All Singaporeans and Malaysians know that since childhood. The don't love Yong or his family have a case or cause for him. They're just using his case politically and for publicity. If PAP abolished death penalty, they'd be petitioning for murderers and drugs traffickers to be sentenced to death in the name of justice and deterrent.

I am more disturbed by the fact that Malaysians are campaigning for him to be pardoned when we Singaporeans do not even demand any pardon from the government when our people are hanged there. The consolation is Najib's non-involvement, but then again, he is desperate for Singapore investments.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am more disturbed by the fact that Malaysians are campaigning for him to be pardoned when we Singaporeans do not even demand any pardon from the government when our people are hanged there. The consolation is Najib's non-involvement, but then again, he is desperate for Singapore investments.

simple answer , because most singapore dont want to get involved ( not my business ) or they dont have balls to go against the goverment .:wink:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
simple answer , because most singapore dont want to get involved ( not my business ) or they dont have balls to go against the goverment .:wink:
The former is quite true as Singaporeans are generally 'bo chap' type. The latter is caused by Singaporean education, in which asking anything that is different from what Social Studies have been teaching is often brushed off and discouraged.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Teacher : What happens when you take drugs?

Kindergarten kid : Got addicted and arrested.

Teacher : What happens when you sell drugs?

Kindergarten kid : Death penalty, hang and die.

Many years later...

Judge : You're hereby sentenced to death by hanging for trafficking drugs.

Accused : It's unfair, I'm only 18 years old, can't even vote yet.

Family : It's unfair, we want to appeal for clemency.

President : So how?

Prime Minister : Make sure that the gallows pole is checked and strong.

Home Affairs Minister : Make sure that the noose is checked and strong.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The former is quite true as Singaporeans are generally 'bo chap' type. The latter is caused by Singaporean education, in which asking anything that is different from what Social Studies have been teaching is often brushed off and discouraged.

bingo...you have answer your own questions . :wink: