• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yes, a difference exists between studying in an elite and neighbourhood school

Les grossman

Alfrescian
Loyal
1722413451790.jpeg

First things first: yours sincerely studied in an elite primary school, then went on to attend a neighbourhood secondary school.​

An elite school is usually dominated by Chinese. Non-Chinese (used to) have to study the Chinese lanaguge too, though I heard that it might not be the case now. In my neighbourhood school, I came to appreciate why the subject was termed "mother tongue" and not simply "Chinese". Also, in my primary school, we had to recite the Singapore pledge in Mandarin on certain days. Turns out, you don't do that in neighbourhood schools.

Overall, the elite primary school I studied in had really well-behaved kids. The worst one was a very annoying boy who kept screaming in class. But I reckon he suffered from ADHD - he was eventually transferred elsewhere. People were practically geniuses. So many people were gifted in both sports and academics; add to that they were sociable and friendly. They also usually came from good family backgrounds. I remembered in P1, there was this classmate of mine who was so damn smart, the teacher struggled with attempts to penalize his essay because it was too good. But she didn't want to award full marks either because we always needed to improve. In P2, he transferred to another better school because he was apparently a genius. This happens more often than usual. And well, we read a lot, worked hard and had lots of fun. Oh by the way point to note: mine was a christian school and there was a strong focus on God. I believed it was good because it helped mould me into a person of greater faith - I was able to pick myself up on several occasions despite falling hard. That being said, I'm not particularly religious.

As for standardized exams, this is an amusing one. It's more difficult to secure a distinction in an elite school compared to a neighbourhood school. One needed to score 80 marks in order to qualify for Band 1 grading in my primary school; correspondingly only 75 marks were required in my friend's neighbourhood school.

It was however a wild wild west of sorts in my neighbourhood secondary school. Firstly, there was the Express, Normal Academic (NA), Normal Technical (NT) differentiation. I was lucky to have made friends from the various streams and they really opened my eyes to a lot of new things. They were inherently good people with beautiful souls, just sometimes, unfortunate things befell a few of them and they turned out much more differently than expected. Anyways, it was where I learnt about short skirts, ankle socks, coloured hair, smoking (wtffff) and cursing. Punishments meted out were also more severe, such as being made to run laps around the school field - you could see that students were more defiant, in general. That being said, I acquired a whole lot more life lessons there than anywhere else. I learnt how to deal with different kinds of people, manage my own time and deal with asshole teachers (democracy is overrated).

When you are being educated in an elite school, it's not unusual to develop unconscious elitism. I simply did not know what was out there in the world (perhaps also ignorance on my part because I didn't care) to appreciate my supposed status in society. I was entitled. Whilst studying in a neighbourhood school, I witnessed first-hand the gulf of difference between various individual personalities and these knocked quite a few important insights into me, thus hastening the growing up process (or perhaps it's simply just puberty).​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/08/yes-difference-exists-between-studying.html

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So elite school is really nothing more than a chinese schools in disguise..
There are several good non Chinese schools.
Raffles Institution, St. Joseph's Institution, Victoria School, CHIJ, Raffles Girls School,

Last edited:

creampie

Alfrescian
Loyal
charlie the writer is talking about a greater proportion of chinese students not SAP schools.
There are several good non Chinese schools.
Raffles Intitution, St. Joseph's Institution, Victoria School, CHIJ, Raffles Girls School,

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 203348

First things first: yours sincerely studied in an elite primary school, then went on to attend a neighbourhood secondary school.​

An elite school is usually dominated by Chinese. Non-Chinese (used to) have to study the Chinese lanaguge too, though I heard that it might not be the case now. In my neighbourhood school, I came to appreciate why the subject was termed "mother tongue" and not simply "Chinese". Also, in my primary school, we had to recite the Singapore pledge in Mandarin on certain days. Turns out, you don't do that in neighbourhood schools.

Overall, the elite primary school I studied in had really well-behaved kids. The worst one was a very annoying boy who kept screaming in class. But I reckon he suffered from ADHD - he was eventually transferred elsewhere. People were practically geniuses. So many people were gifted in both sports and academics; add to that they were sociable and friendly. They also usually came from good family backgrounds. I remembered in P1, there was this classmate of mine who was so damn smart, the teacher struggled with attempts to penalize his essay because it was too good. But she didn't want to award full marks either because we always needed to improve. In P2, he transferred to another better school because he was apparently a genius. This happens more often than usual. And well, we read a lot, worked hard and had lots of fun. Oh by the way point to note: mine was a christian school and there was a strong focus on God. I believed it was good because it helped mould me into a person of greater faith - I was able to pick myself up on several occasions despite falling hard. That being said, I'm not particularly religious.

As for standardized exams, this is an amusing one. It's more difficult to secure a distinction in an elite school compared to a neighbourhood school. One needed to score 80 marks in order to qualify for Band 1 grading in my primary school; correspondingly only 75 marks were required in my friend's neighbourhood school.

It was however a wild wild west of sorts in my neighbourhood secondary school. Firstly, there was the Express, Normal Academic (NA), Normal Technical (NT) differentiation. I was lucky to have made friends from the various streams and they really opened my eyes to a lot of new things. They were inherently good people with beautiful souls, just sometimes, unfortunate things befell a few of them and they turned out much more differently than expected. Anyways, it was where I learnt about short skirts, ankle socks, coloured hair, smoking (wtffff) and cursing. Punishments meted out were also more severe, such as being made to run laps around the school field - you could see that students were more defiant, in general. That being said, I acquired a whole lot more life lessons there than anywhere else. I learnt how to deal with different kinds of people, manage my own time and deal with asshole teachers (democracy is overrated).

When you are being educated in an elite school, it's not unusual to develop unconscious elitism. I simply did not know what was out there in the world (perhaps also ignorance on my part because I didn't care) to appreciate my supposed status in society. I was entitled. Whilst studying in a neighbourhood school, I witnessed first-hand the gulf of difference between various individual personalities and these knocked quite a few important insights into me, thus hastening the growing up process (or perhaps it's simply just puberty).​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/08/yes-difference-exists-between-studying.html

Elite Christian school? Likely to be ACS.

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
kids in elite schools have parents who will move homes and mountains just so little john john can have a great future. Kids in neighbourhood schools need to have their asses moved just so they will wake up and attend classes. So when a kid fucks up, donch blame the school, blame the parents

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must understand that attitude difference between good student and better student.

There are good student but there are better student. Better student tends to be more hardworking and they are more focused on what they do. They go back home do their home homework do their revision. Before the teachers teach new topics, better students will be reading up before the teachers teach. When the teachers teach, The better student will ask question and they have a better grips of the topics and they perform better.
It is just like you're going for a important meeting.

You don't go into a meeting without any preparation without any idea of what is going to happen next. You will get screwed upside down by your supervisor or by your manager If you're not prepared for the meeting.

The same principle also apply in school. The students must take initiative to actually read up before the lessons even start. The teachers are there to become their facilitator than someone to teach them.

That's the difference between the attitude of good student and better student. We didn't talk about their IQ yet.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these writer are just good for nothing.
View attachment 203348

All these i can write using AI now.
The most important thing is to be prepared.

Before you go for important meeting you read up and understand and think ahead of what to say and what not to say. You understand the agenda of the meeting and you carry out from there.

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal

May I ask if those intelligent ones are vaccinated now? This is the real test of overall intelligence.