• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Would you pay $1,224 for a 1.8kg fish in a Restaurant?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_16588998.jpg

WHEN it comes to fish, it pays to know your soon hock from your sultan. Wild-caught species of the latter are exceedingly rare, and can cost more than $300 per kg at restaurants here.

Now, a debate is brewing about whether customers should be told upfront if an item they order comes with a price tag that is off the charts.

It was sparked by the case of a customer who wanted to be known only as Mr Liu, who went to the Feng Shui Inn restaurant at Resorts World Sentosa with four friends from Hong Kong on June 12.

Mr Liu originally wanted to order a soon hock or Marble Goby dish, but when told that the restaurant had run out of it, he went with a waiter's recommendation and ordered sultan fish instead.

He told the Chinese evening newspaper Lianhe Wanbao that the waiter did not tell him the price of the fish, but he assumed it would be about the same price as soon hock, which costs about $90 per kg. But Mr Liu said he and his friends got a shock when they received a bill for $1,224 for the 1.8kg fish.

He complained and received a 15 per cent discount. But his main grouse was that the waiter didn't let him know the price of the sultan when he recommended it.

When contacted, RWS spokesman Robin Goh explained that Feng Shui Inn serves a very premium clientele. He said: 'It is not always appropriate to state menu prices to high-end customers who have come to expect certain discretion, especially when they entertain high-level guests. This is a practice shared by most high-end restaurants.'

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually seafood those restaurants don't quote you upfront one la. If you want, should still ask roughly how much. $1k can buy many fishes at market wor!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
dining-fengshuiinn-348x222.jpg

Feng Shui Inn (Crockfords Tower, Basement 1M)
Fine Dining

Exuding understated elegance and luxury, Feng Shui Inn presents authentic fine-dining Cantonese cuisine by veteran Hong Kong chefs to discerning gourmands. The ala carte menu features popular favourites like Chinese barbeque, a wide selection of exquisite dim sum and seasonal live seafood. Guests can choose to dine at one of the four private rooms in complete privacy, where each room is equipped with a mahjong set and table.

This one also can call fine dining? :rolleyes:

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
What debate? How come people can ask the price from the whore in GL before going hotel but they don't ask the price of the fish before ordering?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when one ask for the price, then that only mean the customer cannot afford liao.
it common in high end establishments not to display price. The logic is that if u r rich, then no price is too high.:rolleyes:

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
True, especially if you're with your clients.

when one ask for the price, then that only mean the customer cannot afford liao.
it common in high end establishments not to display price. The logic is that if u r rich, then no price is too high.:rolleyes:

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kow Pei Kow Bu for Paying $1k plus ?

If no money, don't come here to eat lah.

Private House already tens of millions nowadays, what is the 1k 2k ???

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bizarre. A high end restaurant but soon hock run out.

By the way, many developed countries require menu and prices to be displayed by law in a prominent place. In the UK, it is displayed at the front usually on a pedestal.

This has nothing to do with affordability or if you are well heeled or not. It is to avoid being taken advantage of.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
What debate? How come people can ask the price from the whore in GL before going hotel but they don't ask the price of the fish before ordering?

E rich must save face lah. How can you ask price with VVIP guest around. The Chinese saying, slap your face and pretend to be fat .

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal

QUOTE]

Didn't you notice the similiarity ? Many advertisement claimed low price item; 99% off, when you are there, they also said sold out. SG style creativity is like tat one lah. pian-jia-pian-jia.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In this fucking country everything is also elite. If you have to ask for price of food in a restaurant that's "elite" you are not elite.

jw5

Loyal
E rich must save face lah. How can you ask price with VVIP guest around. The Chinese saying, slap your face and pretend to be fat .
If want to save face, then don't kpkb when the bill comes.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

By the way, many developed countries require menu and prices to be displayed by law in a prominent place. In the UK, it is displayed at the front usually on a pedestal.

This has nothing to do with affordability or if you are well heeled or not. It is to avoid being taken advantage of.

well... different ppl got different interpretation. There are many exclusive clubs that dont receive payment from members after meals. All the customers aka members do was sign a chit and the clubs will send the bill to members for payment.

for the local incident, while the establishment maybe wrong but the customer bear responsiblity too by not asking first. All the waiter did was give a recomendation, they were train not to mention the price as the customers may misunderstood that the waiter is implying the customer have no money.

if u have work in a service sector, u will know there are many taboo when dealing with customers. That why the local maitre will refer every customers as towkays.:rolleyes:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if u have work in a service sector, u will know there are many taboo when dealing with customers. That why the local maitre will refer every customers as towkays.:rolleyes:

Synonymous with clueless carrothead on the chopboard. I personally find it very offensive to be addressed as such. Once I was in a KTV and addressed as laoban (boss) by the waiter, I replied, excuse me, since when have I bought over this KTV? The waiter (PRC) thought I was kidding and continued to address me as such. He said he's trained to address all male patrons as such. I called for the manager and told him in no uncertain terms, I find it very offensive and the waiter has just blown his tips. Call me sir would do, and if he didn't speak English, xiansheng would also do.

This boss (Chinglish in usage), laoban (Chinese), lowsai (Cantonese) and towkay (Hokkien/Teochew) addresses to customers are a perverted and demeaning Chinese custom. It has even perverded Thai service sectors heavily influenced by Thai Teochews and foreign Chinese customers.

No self-respecting and mutally respecting western service staff would call any customer, regardless of race, boss, unless he's appointed to be the supervising manager or actually bought over the establishment.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you may not like to be call towkays, but many ppl hear liao farking shiok. The waiter bloody sway to kenna u as customer. hahaha....

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing wrong with them calling me lao ban what. When i buy food, they always say "Shuai Ge, what will u like to eat?" Usually i know they call me liao. No need to guess if he is implying other people. :biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Synonymous with clueless carrothead on the chopboard. I personally find it very offensive to be addressed as such. Once I was in a KTV and addressed as laoban (boss) by the waiter, I replied, excuse me, since when have I bought over this KTV? The waiter (PRC) thought I was kidding and continued to address me as such. He said he's trained to address all male patrons as such. I called for the manager and told him in no uncertain terms, I find it very offensive and the waiter has just blown his tips. Call me sir would do, and if he didn't speak English, xiansheng would also do.

This boss (Chinglish in usage), laoban (Chinese), lowsai (Cantonese) and towkay (Hokkien/Teochew) addresses to customers are a perverted and demeaning Chinese custom. It has even perverded Thai service sectors heavily influenced by Thai Teochews and foreign Chinese customers.

No self-respecting and mutally respecting western service staff would call any customer, regardless of race, boss, unless he's appointed to be the supervising manager or actually bought over the establishment.

What grouse do you have and pray tell why is it offensive mr know-it-all? :rolleyes:

I just hate it when someone makes a remark like it's offensive and there's no explaination. Btw calling others boss and names doesn't just occur among the chinese. In the US i had ppl call me chief and my dad likes to call the security guards chief. Does this mean the guard is an indian chief of a tribe?:rolleyes:

I have also heard americans address someone as killer and other assorted names does this mean the said person is a killer?

Please i'll allow you to explain why is boss offensive other than the obvious fact that the customer isn't the owner of the establishment which doesn't cut it.