• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Would you pay $1,224 for a 1.8kg fish in a Restaurant?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
What grouse do you have and pray tell why is it offensive mr know-it-all? :rolleyes:

I just hate it when someone makes a remark like it's offensive and there's no explaination. Btw calling others boss and names doesn't just occur among the chinese. In the US i had ppl call me chief and my dad likes to call the security guards chief. Does this mean the guard is an indian chief of a tribe?:rolleyes:

I have also heard americans address someone as killer and other assorted names does this mean the said person is a killer?

Please i'll allow you to explain why is boss offensive other than the obvious fact that the customer isn't the owner of the establishment which doesn't cut it.

I think these type of people have a syndrome commonly known as

GUAI LAN

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have also heard americans address someone as killer and other assorted names does this mean the said person is a killer?

Please i'll allow you to explain why is boss offensive other than the obvious fact that the customer isn't the owner of the establishment which doesn't cut it.

Thanks. I've already explained from the beginning of my last post. I find it personally offensive because here the address of boss or equivalent is delivered without sincerity of service, but with the greedy gleefulness of seeing a carrothead approaching the chopping board. You don't have to agree with me and find it offensive. Different folks, different strokes.

In the US, it's common to call people, chief, ace, killer etc., sometimes complimentary or out of convenience without knowing their names, but sometimes mockingly too, in response to something found unsatisfactory or distasteful. But never, in the sense of buttering up to solicit for business.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks. I've already explained from the beginning of my last post. I find it personally offensive because here the address of boss or equivalent is delivered without sincerity of service, but with the greedy gleefulness of seeing a carrothead approaching the chopping board. You don't have to agree with me and find it offensive. Different folks, different strokes.

In the US, it's common to call people, chief, ace, killer etc., sometimes complimentary or out of convenience without knowing their names, but sometimes mockingly too, in response to something found unsatisfactory or distasteful. But never, in the sense of buttering up to solicit for business.

Okay thanks for better clarification.

Then again what difference does it make if the waiter calls you sir or xian shen or maybe shuai ge instead? Isn't he buttering you up again likewise? Why would the name even matter since the waiter's intention is to butter you up in the hopes for getting some tips?

I just hate it when you put a racial slant into the picture here. Take the US for eg the waiteresses are extra attentive to the customers. Why? Cos they earn tips from the customers too. What difference is it from the waiter in the nightclub in sg?

Btw what makes you think the ang mohs don't call ppl nice names to get more business? Look it's pretty hard to know what someone is thinking unless you're a mind reader, even in the US someone whom gives the impression that he really appreciates you might be calling you a sucker in his mind. Likewise in sg someone calling you lao ban might really have respect for you.

jw5

Loyal
Nothing wrong with them calling me lao ban what. When i buy food, they always say "Shuai Ge, what will u like to eat?" Usually i know they call me liao. No need to guess if he is implying other people. :biggrin:
Maybe they were being sarcastic.
Some people also call me "shuai ge", but I always turn around to see who they are calling. :smile:

jw5

Loyal
Synonymous with clueless carrothead on the chopboard. I personally find it very offensive to be addressed as such. Once I was in a KTV and addressed as laoban (boss) by the waiter, I replied, excuse me, since when have I bought over this KTV? The waiter (PRC) thought I was kidding and continued to address me as such. He said he's trained to address all male patrons as such. I called for the manager and told him in no uncertain terms, I find it very offensive and the waiter has just blown his tips. Call me sir would do, and if he didn't speak English, xiansheng would also do.

This boss (Chinglish in usage), laoban (Chinese), lowsai (Cantonese) and towkay (Hokkien/Teochew) addresses to customers are a perverted and demeaning Chinese custom. It has even perverded Thai service sectors heavily influenced by Thai Teochews and foreign Chinese customers.

No self-respecting and mutally respecting western service staff would call any customer, regardless of race, boss, unless he's appointed to be the supervising manager or actually bought over the establishment.
I understand your point about calling a customer "laoban".
But I can bet you that 90% of the service providers who call you "laoban" won't understand it.
These people are calling you that because they were trained to do so, or because they are used to it, or because they are trying to be polite or respectful or because they think that is what you want to be called or how they are supposed to address you.
The vast majority of them are not calling you that to get more tips, so there is no need to get angry with them.
It's like someone said "It's not lying if you really believe it".

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Okay thanks for better clarification.

Then again what difference does it make if the waiter calls you sir or xian shen or maybe shuai ge instead? Isn't he buttering you up again likewise? Why would the name even matter since the waiter's intention is to butter you up in the hopes for getting some tips?

I just hate it when you put a racial slant into the picture here. Take the US for eg the waiteresses are extra attentive to the customers. Why? Cos they earn tips from the customers too. What difference is it from the waiter in the nightclub in sg?

Btw what makes you think the ang mohs don't call ppl nice names to get more business? Look it's pretty hard to know what someone is thinking unless you're a mind reader, even in the US someone whom gives the impression that he really appreciates you might be calling you a sucker in his mind. Likewise in sg someone calling you lao ban might really have respect for you.

Well, perhaps I'm more comfortable to be a mere sir (xiansheng), a term of respect without reference to supervisory or financial prowess, ownerhsip or patronage. As police, people called me sir too, as in, "Sir, what have I done wrong?" I called people sir too, as in, "Sir, you're under arrest (for this or that)." No problem. My colleages called each other ace or chief too, as in, "Ace (someone who has a good consistent range record), what's your score for combat shooting just now?" or "Chief (someone of equal rank but not from the same unit), it's your call now, what do you think?"

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe they were being sarcastic.
Some people also call me "shuai ge", but I always turn around to see who they are calling. :smile:

Haha...it's good that you are being honest with yourself when you turn around to see who they are calling when they call "shuai ge" :smile:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha...it's good that you are being honest with yourself when you turn around to see who they are calling when they call "shuai ge" :smile:

Take a walk along Geylang streets all the hookers will also call out 'Shuai Ge' to every man including elephant man :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I understand your point about calling a customer "laoban".
But I can bet you that 90% of the service providers who call you "laoban" won't understand it.
These people are calling you that because they were trained to do so, or because they are used to it, or because they are trying to be polite or respectful or because they think that is what you want to be called or how they are supposed to address you.
The vast majority of them are not calling you that to get more tips, so there is no need to get angry with them.

I do understand your point too. It's the culture and the norm. I do ignore it and get on with life, unless it becomes excessively annoying.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, perhaps I'm more comfortable to be a mere sir (xiansheng), a term of respect without reference to supervisory or financial prowess, ownerhsip or patronage. As police, people called me sir too, as in, "Sir, what have I done wrong?" I called people sir too, as in, "Sir, you're under arrest (for this or that)." No problem. My colleages called each other ace or chief too, as in, "Ace (someone who has a good consistent range record), what's your score for combat shooting just now?" or "Chief (someone of equal rank but not from the same unit), it's your call now, what do you think?"

I used to call my teachers sir in sec school but after coming out from NS i feel a bit differently. As you know referring to someone as a SIR in the military means that person is an officer and it's not to be used causally as in calling a non officer a Sir.

If i wanted to be very specific i could use the same logic as you have used and comment that sir makes a reference that the said person is an army officer. You do see my point don't you?

Very often it's the context and the manner in how a term is used and spoken therefore the tone and the body language has to be taken into consideration to truly see if someone is really sincere or buttering you up and even if a service staff in an establishment is buttering you up well what's wrong? See the explaination from jw5 too, the waiter probably wasn't trying to be offensive towards you. If you really try to be anal about things like this you can find that almost every term used to acknowledge a person can be deemed as offensive.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do understand your point too. It's the culture and the norm. I do ignore it and get on with life, unless it becomes excessively annoying.

You ignore it? I thought u didn't want to tip a waiter and even called a manager to complain, is that considered as ignoring it?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You ignore it? I thought u didn't want to tip a waiter and even called a manager to complain, is that considered as ignoring it?

He's one who was excessively annoying. I'd spare you the boring details. I'd always begin by saying something like, "Don't call me boss, I'm uncomfortable with that." Many understand the cue, some don't.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be good if the discussion remains within context. We are talking about $1,224 fish that was given when what he asked for was not available. He did not ask for $1,000 fish in the first place. A huge difference. I have seen $11,000 approx bill for a table for 6 and it was planned and prepared with special dishes and wine.

If a potential customer looks at a second hand toyota corollo but it has already been booked by another customer, even an imbecile saleman with half a brain would not suggest a second hand ferrari of the same age. And you know why? What do you think?

I have no issues if he asked for $850 fish but they gave him the sultan fish instead.

well... different ppl got different interpretation. There are many exclusive clubs that dont receive payment from members after meals. All the customers aka members do was sign a chit and the clubs will send the bill to members for payment.

for the local incident, while the establishment maybe wrong but the customer bear responsiblity too by not asking first. All the waiter did was give a recomendation, they were train not to mention the price as the customers may misunderstood that the waiter is implying the customer have no money.

if u have work in a service sector, u will know there are many taboo when dealing with customers. That why the local maitre will refer every customers as towkays.:rolleyes:

jw5

Loyal
It will be good if the discussion remains within context. We are talking about $1,224 fish that was given when what he asked for was not available. He did not ask for $1,000 fish in the first place. A huge difference. I have seen $11,000 approx bill for a table for 6 and it was planned and prepared with special dishes and wine.

If a potential customer looks at a second hand toyota corollo but it has already been booked by another customer, even an imbecile saleman with half a brain would not suggest a second hand ferrari of the same age. And you know why? What do you think?

I have no issues if he asked for $850 fish but they gave him the sultan fish instead.
Perhaps the restaurant or the waiter should not have recommended the $1000+ fish.
But couldn't the customer have asked what the price was?

Cuntamania

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do they provide breast feeding?:biggrin:

dining-fengshuiinn-348x222.jpg

Feng Shui Inn (Crockfords Tower, Basement 1M)
Fine Dining

Exuding understated elegance and luxury, Feng Shui Inn presents authentic fine-dining Cantonese cuisine by veteran Hong Kong chefs to discerning gourmands. The ala carte menu features popular favourites like Chinese barbeque, a wide selection of exquisite dim sum and seasonal live seafood. Guests can choose to dine at one of the four private rooms in complete privacy, where each room is equipped with a mahjong set and table.

This one also can call fine dining? :rolleyes: