• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why sinkies pronounce "Flour" as .........

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I cannot understand the Hongkies. When their surname is "Chan" as in "Chance" (British style), they do not mind to be called "Chen". Worse still - when the name is "Chan Ah Gou", somehow someone would answer to the name of "Ah Gou Chen".

I think we should not follow that in Singapore. Otherwise we get very confused. In fact we should continue to "stay" in our HDB flats as we are likely to sell them early to realise their intrinsic values. I cannot imagine anyone living in their homes.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One commonly mispronounced word by Singaporeans, all the way up to GLC CEOs is "opportunity".

Excruciating whenever I hear one of them being interviewed by Bloomberg or CNBC and they proudly proclaim their firms seizing "Orr-porchoo-nee-tees"

Another gem is "Psychologically", where the poor bastard would stumble on every syllable and say "Sai-kor-lor-gee-ker-lee"

Last edited:

salmon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot understand the Hongkies. When their surname is "Chan" as in "Chance" (British style), they do not mind to be called "Chen". Worse still - when the name is "Chan Ah Gou", somehow someone would answer to the name of "Ah Gou Chen".

yikes. i hate names getting pinyin-cised. i like the malaysian, singaporean, taiwanese and hongkie ways of spelling names. read somewhere that mainlanders living in hk are now changing their pinyin names for hk-styled ones, like zhang xiaorong to cheung siu wing etc, in order to integrate.

Last edited: