• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why sinkies pronounce "Flour" as .........

salmon

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Sinkies can't pronounce French either. The "en" in "en bloc" is pronounced "on". Why are Sinkies so dumb ah? :confused:

not can't la. i think most times ppl are unaware. they don't pay attention to the correct pronunciation so just anyhow muddle through; as long as enough ppl understand them, good enough for them liao.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
eErotica69 said:
Simple as that... because we were a British colony!!

Click on the link and on the British flag icon to hear the pronunciation

In Queen's English, it sounds "flower" to me but in American English, it is more like "floor". Personally, I think Singapore English (not Singlish) is the best because it really differentiates the words "flower", "flour" and "floor" from one another in sound and "their" from "there". So in the interest of the development of the English language, we should stick to the Singaporean way in pronunciating English.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another pet peeve of mine: divorce.

It's 'dee-vorce' not 'dye-vorce'.

Divorce: ˈvɔrs, -ˈvoʊrs

Diet: ˈdaɪɪt

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are so many words ,sinkies cant pronounce properly..flour is just the tip of the iceberg...words that immediately come to mind are"purchase",beach,....project and produce(two ways of saying them)..etc..and the fact that singkies pronounce every word in a flat tone with no stresses..practically any word thats more than one syllable
is pronounced wrongly, eg people becomes peeper..aircon becomes acorn

I always cringe when cheena folks pronounce lounge as 'launch'.....not sure how this came about

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
salmon said:
not can't la. i think most times ppl are unaware. they don't pay attention to the correct pronunciation so just anyhow muddle through; as long as enough ppl understand them, good enough for them liao.

Is there a correct pronunciation? Ask the American, the Brit and Ossie and they can all disagree. The correct pronunciation for our Concert Hall is The Explanade as in lemonade and that is official.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The worst pronunciators of the English language are our radio DJs. We are taught Queen's English or rather Received English in school and they try to speak to us in a variation of American English. They cannot even be consistent and ended up speaking a mishmash of gibberish chatters.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I remember in the mid 90s when every man and his dog aspired to be an insurance or real estate agent.

Lots of low-life, low-class, scum-of-the-earth ah bengs and ah lians, in trying to sound sophisticated, always proclaimed that they we to an important meeting to meet with their "kline".

Never occurred to me to correct their pronunciation to its proper "cli-ent", as it was a sure fire way to weed out and avoid these undesirables within 2 minutes of talking to them.

salmon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there a correct pronunciation? Ask the American, the Brit and Ossie and they can all disagree. The correct pronunciation for our Concert Hall is The Explanade as in lemonade and that is official.

now that u've asked, i must say i dunno. my preference, however, is brit minus the accent. i can't stand people who suddenly develop an accent when they have to talk to foreigners or those who "kek" one in order to intimidate customer service staff.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now that u've asked, i must say i dunno. my preference, however, is brit minus the accent. i can't stand people who suddenly develop an accent when they have to talk to foreigners or those who "kek" one in order to intimidate customer service staff.
Especially those who went overseas for work or study uni and suddenly after 3-4 years come back with newfound accent and pretend dun understand singlish....knn but the fucking behavior and mannerisms still 100% sinkie cannot siam....kanalan.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Come to think of it, I've heard flour pronounced either way before by many Aussies here.

So I think the problem here is not pronunciation by how much lack of self-confidence Stinkaporeans have to be hung up with what Ang Moh sprouts from his mouth.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Because people like limpeh I use that to our advantage, knowing full well that it will scare off the front-line peons like you and get us talking to someone who can make decisions.

Rest be assured though, after we get things done our way, we tok cock with your superiors macham ar kah chee.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
in the past sinkies are not taught how to pronounce the words properly according to the proper standard chosen......things got worst when the chinese schools were closed....and some of the teachers are made to teach english to reduce the shortage.....

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
QXD said:
Come to think of it, I've heard flour pronounced either way before by many Aussies here.

So I think the problem here is not pronunciation by how much lack of self-confidence Stinkaporeans have to be hung up with what Ang Moh sprouts from his mouth.

It could be due to our small population that others might not understand us if we spoke in our native accent. But if Australians, also with a small population, can pronounce "today" as "to die" and be accepted worldwide, why can't Singapore, perhaps together with Malaysia, speaks its own tongue? And I am not talking about Singlish which we can speak among ourselves.

longdongsilver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember in the mid 90s when every man and his dog aspired to be an insurance or real estate agent.

Lots of low-life, low-class, scum-of-the-earth ah bengs and ah lians, in trying to sound sophisticated, always proclaimed that they we to an important meeting to meet with their "kline".

Never occurred to me to correct their pronunciation to its proper "cli-ent", as it was a sure fire way to weed out and avoid these undesirables within 2 minutes of talking to them.

another word that most sinkies,from teachers to CEOs will screw up pronouncing is colleague..