• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Potong Pasir & Hougang should reject Upgrades

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Residents of Potong Pasir and Hougang should reject any HDB offers for lift upgrades, improvements to their piping areas, electrical and laundry area. The following are some of the reasons:
1) No matter how sweet a deal, or supposedly low the costs, this will result in residents taking money out of their pockets to pay for the levy. Why do that? They are not the owners of their flats, they are the tenants. The HDB is the landlord, let them pay for the whole thing or nothing at all
2) Lift upgrades are a result of poor HDB engineering to begin with. What kind of moron developer does not build lifts to stop at every floor? They should pay for it. Anyway, its a good way to meet neighbours if you don't have a lift that stops at your floor.
3) The residents of these 2 constituencies have already endured so long without these upgrades, it shows they can live without it, better to save their money.
4) This is a trick by HDB to force them to spend money on the upgrades, and than a few years later, tear down the estate and build a new one.
5) According to the HDB lease, anything in the common area is the responsibility of the TC. Therefore, if there is nothing wrong with the plumbing or electrical, why bother to upgrade it? even if there is something wrong, its the TC's responsibility to fix it.

My advice to the residents of hougang and Potong Pasir, don't waste your money and don't get con. I am not a resident there, so I can only guess at the sentiment for the upgrade. But when they role out a Chiak Liao Bee Minister like Grace Fu-ck to announce a mundane thing like an upgrade programmme, u know they are getting paid too much for doing things that are not that important. Don't fall for it. Vote against it, remember, they need 75% approval.

SINGAPORE: For the first time, opposition-held Potong Pasir and Hougang will be eligible for the Lift Upgrading Programme (LUP) for 65 precincts islandwide.

Senior Minister of State for National Development Grace Fu revealed this to the media on Monday at a Home Improvement Programme (HIP) event.

Residents received upgrades to their piping, laundry areas and electrical systems and 33,000 more households across Singapore are expected to benefit from the scheme over the next three years.

The programme is expected to cost S$1 billion.

Home owners were also given the option to upgrade their toilets, doors and grilles, with up to 95 per cent of this cost being subsidised.

Lee Kwai Heng, upgraded flat owner, said: "If you get your own contractor, where can you get such a good price? I know someone from upstairs who got someone in to do the same works before this scheme and they paid S$20,000."

Even more popular among residents is the Lift Upgrading Programme and the National Development Ministry said the timing is right to go ahead with it.

Ms Fu said: "We've seen that construction costs are showing signs of decline. So, it's a very good time for us because there are resources that are available in the market. So the government intends to increase its efforts in lift upgrading projects."

When asked by journalists if the surprise announcement - to include Opposition wards Potong Pasir and Hougang in the programme - was deliberately timed, Ms Fu said the move had been planned for a while.

Potong Pasir MP Chiam See Tong and Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang were not available for comment.

Residents, especially the elderly, in both wards welcomed the news. One elderly resident said: "Upgrading the lifts will definitely benefit the senior citizens because they are old, and maybe they have weaker legs."

Residents will find out in a few months if their blocks of flats will be among the 1,000 getting the upgrade in this exercise.

The entire project is expected to be completed in 2014. Since the programme started in 2001, about 80 per cent of the eligible blocks built before 1990 have received new lifts.

This year's LUP had 15 more precincts selected compared to last year. - CNA/vm

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
To me, just take the offer of lift upgrading but continue to vote opposition.

There is nothing to be shy in doing so because such "subsidy" (we really don't know whether it is REAL SUBSIDY or just DISCOUNT with overpriced cost) are rightfully theirs. Voting is another matter altogether.

Goh Meng Seng

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
General Erection is coming?

Ms Grace Fu, Senior Minister of State for National Development, said on Monday that precincts in Hougang and Potong Pasir will be among 65 selected for the LUP in the current financial year, which started in April.

This marks a shift from the Government's stand after the 2006 general election, when it said the two wards would be placed 'at the end of the queue' for the LUP.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should opp ward residents turn down HDB upgrading?

They pay taxes like every other citizen

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is nothing to be shy in doing so because such "subsidy" (we really don't know whether it is REAL SUBSIDY or just DISCOUNT with overpriced cost) are rightfully theirs. Voting is another matter altogether.

Goh Meng Seng

Agree. I think the notion of "rejecting everything the system" comes from the fact that it is a PAP-dominated "system" so do this and that. It is a bottomless pit or an endless road. I hope one day people are not going to be asked not to buy cars if they disagree with COE or walk to work if they disagree with transport fare hikes. The logical line fails to be clear anymore.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why reject?

Hougang and Potong Pasir residents also pay taxes to the state coffers, which lost 260 billions, you know.

Render unto Hougang the things which are Hougang's.

Render unto Potong Pasir the things which are Potong Pasir's.

And remember to continue vote oppositions, if they are doing a damn good job! LOL

i think PAP is not stupid enough to demand they become PAP wards...

otherwise SGP might become 100% totalitarian state. then we can all play this new national anthem..with little lky stasis running and spying around..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/svCSf6ZQp3w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/svCSf6ZQp3w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
techno version...LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0gyfay62Nks&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0gyfay62Nks&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should opp ward residents turn down HDB upgrading?

They pay taxes like every other citizen

yes , why should they reject? they deserve that. anyway mr low already mention at last election rally his ward can upgrade the lift anytime without the resident to pay single cents but pap's dog(the age db) use dirty excuse to reject the request such as the flat structure r not safe to do any work blah blah blah...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To me, just take the offer of lift upgrading but continue to vote opposition. ...
agree ...

best of both worlds
icon14.gif

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
the residents of Potong Pasir and Hougang,should welcome it.
they also paid taxes.
they can still continue to vote for the opposition in the next election.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. I think the notion of "rejecting everything the system" comes from the fact that it is a PAP-dominated "system" so do this and that. It is a bottomless pit or an endless road. I hope one day people are not going to be asked not to buy cars if they disagree with COE or walk to work if they disagree with transport fare hikes. The logical line fails to be clear anymore.

If those fellow want to reject everything, then those fellow who advocate such a notion should not stay in any HDB flat, should not take any form of public transport, should not walk into any public building. Heck, that fellow should not even be in Singapore.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If those fellow want to reject everything, then those fellow who advocate such a notion should not stay in any HDB flat, should not take any form of public transport, should not walk into any public building. Heck, that fellow should not even be in Singapore.

Exactly. A party practices some of this on some things and ended up looking arbitrary. No different in look from PAP albeit all the sacrifices made.

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
how much is the subsidy per unit for lift upgrade ?
$5000 ? or more ??

If I stay in 2nd floor... what is the advantage of lift upgrade for me ?
Can I choose not to upgrade, and get cash of part of the subsidy in cash ?
$1000 ?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, it's important to distinguish between Government programs/facilities versus PAP programs/facilities. PAP is in Government and uses public money to fund whatever programs and facilities according to it's public policies. These are funds from all public regardless whether they voted PAP or not, and PAP is accountable and responsible for 100% of Singaporeans, not just the 66.6% who voted for it. In other words, all 100% of Singaporeans are entitled to fair distribution is public funds allocation, not just the 66.6%.

Distinguish that from PAP party political events and programs. If one dislikes really PAP, then one would naturally avoid PAP party political events and programs, even if these are free. One would naturally vote against PAP when the chance arises. However, one should also be entitled to and help him/herself to whatever the Government doses out, even if s/he voted against the Government of the day.

That's the essence of electoral democracy. The majority wins and takes control of the Government, but is still responsible for the minority, and the minority have equal rights whatever the electoral results.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
They pay taxes. So they are entitled to "subsidies". Take the upgrade and vote Low and Chiam for the good work in getting the upgrades.

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
People of Hougang and Potong pasir.

One word = RESPECT

The garment that has to resort to offer $100 million as a carrot

One word = DESPISE

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Goh Meng Seng

Goh,

As already mentioned, we don't know what subsidy there is really is, if any. Why give money to them? If you have already gone 30 plus years without the lift upgrades, do u really need it?. Ask yourself when will they demolish this estate? U cannot say screw the PAP, and than take an upgrade from them. If u compromise on this, u will compromise on other things.