• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why PAPee Treat Tan Howe Liang So Shabbily?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>More can be done for Olympian Tan Howe Liang
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->WHAT is one to make of NTUC Fairprice Supermarket's recent $10,000 reward for Tan Howe Liang in recognition of his silver-medal feat 48 years ago in Rome? No doubt it was a fine gesture, albeit belated, which I'm sure our man from Swatow least expected. However, one may still ask: Has Singapore gone far enough to show it really appreciates his effort in bringing home the first Olympic medal for Singapore?
Four years ago, I wrote that it was not too late to reward Howe Liang. By that I meant the reward, in kind or cash, should come from our sports authority at the behest of the Government. I thought the implication was obvious, but sadly, nothing came of it, even till today. A 'Tan Howe Liang Appreciation Fund' was even suggested by a reader then, but that idea too was stillborn.
One is left to wonder why this long-overdue gesture had been relegated to a anonymous citizen (who, if my memory serves me right, donated $10,000 in 2004) and a supermarket chain, when a more substantial reward should be seen as coming from a grateful government.
However hard one may argue against giving him a just reward retrospectively, his singular achievement still remains, after all these years, a beacon of inspiration and hope for a tiny nation. Amid the euphoria (and fiasco) following the silver-medal performance of our women's table-tennis team in Beijing, Howe Liang's unblemished feat stands out, especially in the light of the fact that it has gone largely unrecognised by his own country.
Back then in Howe Liang's time, competitive sport was not a national priority and there was little money for our sports heroes. Singapore has prospered beyond recognition since then and champions are nowadays rewarded handsomely, even on stages much smaller than the Olympics. Howe Liang, perhaps with some envy, is left to muse about the magnanimity his country could have, but has so far not shown.
The success of our women's table-tennis team prompted Howe Liang's outburst of relief that no longer would he have to put up with reporters hounding him every four years for comments on his Olympic feat. Beyond this seemingly curt humour lies the tragedy - a champion left behind by the accident of birth who, deep down, just wants to be left alone notwithstanding his greatness.
The real tragedy, however, would be our sports authority's decision to one day honour this one-of-a-kind sportsman posthumously. By then, it will be too little too late. Lee Seck Kay

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TV2008083122151400.jpg

Cos I am a Singaporean?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They gave him $10,000 worth of NTUC vouchers !

He has to redeem it at NTUC though !

If this is true, then it is an ultimate insult to all male Singaporeans, who, by no choice of theirs; being born a male have to serve National Service!. All Singaporean males are worth $10,000 at the moment for an olympic silver medal, and fo almost half a century, you will be FORGOTTEN!.

Not to mention, the additional $100 for those who had contributed their blood, sweat & tears for National Service & Reservist; in terms of the government handouts.

Meanwhile, across the causeway, A Malaysian "C" (sensitive), gets S$1,300 pension for life, for winning a silver medal, and a datukship!.

Singapore males are worthless... ha ha ha ha ha :biggrin:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe when he won silver medal in rome 1960, PAP not in power yet..

so they buay song??:confused: