• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

8 hrs ·
Last night, #TeamSengkang made a start on our house visits at 313D #Anchorvale. Our conversations were the usual lively mix of warm greetings, feedback on policies of national relevance, and suggestions on how to improve various aspects of the estate.
One family we spoke to talked about the challenges faced by households with three children. This is certainly a somewhat more niche concern in Singapore—where our fertility rate hovers at around one child per woman—but a better understanding of the particular challenges such families face can offer insight into how we may wish to revise our pro-family policies, beyond offering modest (in the grand scheme of things) monetary incentives for additional children, or priority in housing allocation. It entails accounting for how daily life can be made easier for families that comprise five or more, instead of three or four.
One simple example has to do with cars. Currently, a regular sedan would hold a family with 2 kids, but add another, and one is likely to need an upgrade to a 7-seater, and its correspondingly higher COE. As another example, the upgrade route for 5-room HDB flats is usually a condo, but these, while being more expensive, do not necessarily offer more space.
Now, it is important to stress—as this family did—that such households aren’t looking for special treatment, per se. But that doesn’t mean that a society cannot design policies to help such families out. Perhaps we can give special dispensation for families with 3 children to purchase COEs under the regular, smaller-car category. Or HDB could consider reviving the now-defunct format of executive flats—in particular, those that include 4 bedrooms—to allow such families an opportunity for a larger BTO flat, rather than having to rely on the pricier (and more limited) resale market. #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus enjoys the night view. :biggrin:

1662730955455.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus joined Tan Kiat How, Grace Ho, and Bilveer Singh on a panel organized by the NUS Political Science Society. :wink:

Jamus Lim

14 hrs ·
On a recent weekend, I joined Tan Kiat How, Grace Ho, and Bilveer Singh on a panel organized by the NUS Political Science Society. This fifth iteration of NinetyPercent sought a range of perspectives on political succession in Singapore, and touched on both meritocracy as a criteria for political succession, and how the changing international regime could affect political leadership.
I was pleased the share my thoughts on on how the The Workers' Party conceived of these challenges, especially as an opposition party with a comparatively small presence in parliament. While I won’t share my comments in great detail, I stressed three main points: (1) that equality of opportunity does not equate to equality of outcomes (and our meritocracy has traditionally stressed the former, but the emergence of a permanently poor underclass could mean that more interventionist policy to accomplish the latter may now be required to ensure preserve true meritocracy); (2) that adequate political representation has to pay attention not only to observable characteristics (ethnicity, religion) but also unobservable ones (what does the CMIO classification mean in a world where cross-ethnic marriages are increasingly common? Are there groups that we have inadvertently or deliberately left out, ensuring their non-representation? Would we consider an Ivy-trained, religiously-liberal Malay lawyer to be more representative of that group, than a low-income, Chinese-Muslim convert?); (3) that Singapore is not exempt from the forces of deglobalization, populism, and the retreat of democracy seen worldwide (this has resulted in a vulnerability of the political center, which underscores the importance of responsible political parties, who are able to offer credible alternative policies for debate).
My thanks extend to the behind-the-scenes organizational prowess of Ong Sze Ann and her team, whose careful curation of the event (and small gift of a PoliSci teddy!) made it a pleasure to participate, even on a Friday night.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus walked around the #Anchorvale Plains estate. :wink:

Jamus Lim

9 hrs ·
This week’s #TeamSengkang estate walk took us around the #Anchorvale Plains estate. This is one of the newest clusters in #SengkangGRC, and we are always aware of the importance of preemptive maintenance, to ensure that conditions do not deteriorate so much as to require more determined rectification efforts later. I was pleased to see that, on net, the common area cleanliness and facilities were well kept; but always feel free to let us know if you observe any issues!
One recent development in the cluster is a collaborative project between the town council and NParks, an eco-garden atop the 353 multistory parking structure. Since the cluster is new, it doesn’t already have an existing garden; moreover, the pandemic has meant a greater willingness by residents to try out their green thumbs! The conversion process for this particular carpark was especially easy, since there was already established rooftop landscaping (those with surface lots require more complex hoop-jumping, including potential compensation to HDB for forgone parking income, even if the space may be underutilized). We’ll work on expanding such gardens to as many clusters in the estate as possible, so long as there is interest and demand.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus shares some thoughts. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·
Yesterday’s Parliamentary sitting commenced with observing a minute of silence for Queen Elizabeth II. The Queen was the head of state of Singapore when she was a crown colony, and she presided over Singapore’s transition to an independent state. She was also beloved by millions around the world. As a constitutional monarch—who derived her influence on the basis of respect and wisdom more so than formal power—she performed that role admirably.
Her passing has led to a bevy of varied reactions. Some have celebrated her, or speak fondly of close encounters with her (my #SengkangGRC teammate He Ting Ru 何廷儒 had the pleasure of handing the queen flowers as a young girl). Others rue the destruction and bloodshed that was perpetrated in her name. Like all things in life, of course, the truth behind her legacy is, ultimately, mixed.
As a country, Singapore has benefited from its colonial history in a number of ways: we enjoyed investment from Great Britain that helped us develop from a fishing village to an important global port, missionaries started schools that transferred education and knowledge (and many remain among the most esteemed on the island today), and we inherited institutions—such as a Westminster parliamentary system, a common law legal framework, and a well-structured bureaucracy—that helped us massively in our development journey. We also adapted a number of colonial-era hangovers, such as CPF, racial structures (think CMIO), and the soon-to-be-debated 377A—that we’ve had to contend with and, at the very least, adapt to our own needs.
As far as colonies go, we were fortunate. We had a strategic location for a seafaring empire, but no real natural resources of consequence. Britain saw Singapore as a settlement colony, and this enabled the sort of mostly-benevolent rule that has contributed, for more good than ill, to the society we see today. For other extractive colonies, or where violent suppression was more pervasive, the population’s view of their former colonial masters tends to be far less charitable. All this is a reminder of how, in addition to sound governance and hard work, it is useful to remember that we have also benefited from more than a modicum of good luck.
May be an image of 1 person and text that says A cha Top Stories Latest News Discover Singapore Singapore Parliament observes one minute of silence as a mark of respect to Queen Elizabeth Il Queen Elizabeth had a unique role in Singapore's history, said Leader of the House Indranee Rajah.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus attended a mooncake party. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
#SengkangGRC celebrated the Mid-Autumn over the recent weekend. At #Anchorvale, our party was held at the Cove cluster, which has a substantial number of young families—many of whom we had visited recently!—and a nice central space, where we were able to engage in a borderline-violent pomelo-peeling contest, riddle guessing and recycled-lantern construction competitions, and a snaking lantern procession that reminded me of those I walked in as a child.
The proof of the pudding (or the mooncake, as the case may be) is in the eating, so I brought our little one along to experience the festivities firsthand. I’m happy to report that she had a blast, to the point where we had to remove her, kicking and screaming, after it was all over.
Thanks to all that came out to join us, congrats to our young winners, and of course, thanks to our sponsors and #TeamSengkang volunteers (you know who you are) who helped make the event such a wild success.

1663160987554.png