• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus enjoys the paintings of residents. :wink:

1661517546874.png

1661517567530.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you to make lanterns. :wink:

Jamus Lim

Yesterday at 10:40 ·
This year, our #SengkangGRC mid-Autumn festivities will be held at the divisional level. For #Anchorvale, we will host our family-friendly activities—including a lantern procession and mooncake tasting—at the Cove neighborhood. Do come down and join #TeamSengkang, and also participate in our lantern making competition (using recyclable materials); prizes for the top 3!
May be an image of text

jw5

Loyal
Jamus goes on house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

1 hr ·
This week, #TeamSengkang were able to wrap up house visits at 330B #Anchorvale, after which we hiked briefly across the road to begin at the upper floors of 336B.
A few of the conversations touched on the cost of living. But in addition to complaints about rising prices of food and transport, one resident spoke about his concern over escalating long-term costs, in particular over housing. He expressed his fear that his children would no longer be able to afford to own their own flat, given how much new build-to-order units cost, even with the subsidy from HDB.
I shared my thoughts on how housing and retirement are a complicated dance. On one hand, the easiest way to cap rising housing costs is to rapidly expand supply. Now, with adequate planning, this may well be possible—I don’t buy into the myth that there is limited land, given how we have been very adept at high-density estate planning—but if supply were to expand too quickly, this might lead to a collapse in resale prices, which would in turn impact the retirement adequacy of the current generation of savers, who have generally relied on their CPF to finance their mortgages.
Personally, I would rather see most Singaporeans disentangle their retirement savings from their housing arrangements. But this is tricky, given how so many folks still see housing as one of the few ways to extract money from their CPF, and those lost starting a family might not have sufficient disposable income to otherwise pay for a mortgage. And many Singaporeans remain enamored with homeownership, even when this may result in overinvestment in housing (one quick way to check: since most of us don’t expect to inherit the houses we live in, it follows that we should plan to pass on with as little years left on our leasehold homes as possible. If we wish to leave any bequest to our kids, our savings would be better invested in genuinely appreciating assets, like stocks or bonds).
That’s why a wider array of housing options are important. These include developing a high-quality public rentals market, offering flexible medium-term leasehold options for larger-format flats, or offering a universal lease buyback scheme. These ideas, along with others previously suggested by the #workersparty in a policy paper we released in 2019—may play a role in helping make house prices more affordable for younger Singaporeans as they enter the housing market. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus encourages Kean Yew. :wink:

Jamus Lim

Yesterday at 12:18 ·
Life is almost never linear, and the gains we make can easily be unwound. Our celebrated shuttler, Loh Kean Yew, fell in the quarterfinals of the badminton world championships, hence bowing out in his attempt to defend his title.
As a nation, we often celebrate successes, especially in sporting achievement. But when our dedicated athletes stumble, we may be less forthcoming in offering our encouragement. Yet as every sportsperson knows, repeats are tough, and just as important, when they are down, sustained belief—both by others, as well as themselves—can help them recover and return to winning ways. The same applies to all our endeavors in life, competitive or otherwise.
To Kean Yew: we know you have given your all. Hang tough, we’re behind you still, and we’ll see you on the podium next time round.

1661780131652.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus forgives Joseph. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

8 hrs ·
Everyone makes mistakes. I have too, and will likely do so in the future. When I’ve erred in the past, I have benefited from others’ forgiveness, and an ability to make up for my wrongdoing. If we want to live in a compassionate society, I think it begins with exercising less judgment, and more empathy. Of course, actions have consequences, and the sanctions these athletes will face will hold them accountable for their actions. But I will not condemn the people, and let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone.

1661949797509.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·
This week, our #TeamSengkang midweek house visit made it halfway through 258C #Compassvale, and on another night, we were able to wrap up 336B #Anchorvale.
While many of our conversations revolve around care for young children and the stresses of raising kids (especially around exam time!), every now and then, I am reminded that there are a substantial number of more elderly residents in our midst, even for a comparatively newer estate. Some—like in our own family—are those who have moved in with their children, and host three generations under one roof. Others are “fresher” retirees who had moved in several decades ago, and live in the oldest blocks we have in #SengkangGRC.
One couple shared with me about how they longed for more social activities, especially after the relative isolation due to COVID-19. I agree, and I am particularly sensitive to the sense of isolation that many residents with smaller social circles may have felt during the pandemic. We will actively look into expanding our grassroots activities to include elderly-friendly ones.
Another resident shared about her recent treatment at Sengkang General. She explained that her son—who lives further away—would stay over several nights a week, both to keep her company, but also to render support during recovery. I am all for family-centered care. But I do hope that, as a relatively wealthy nation, we are able to also provide additional financial assistance—while also availing more of each individual’s Medisave for family members who would otherwise be unable to afford nursing or home-based care—to help lessen the direct burden on family caregiving.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus invites you for workout. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

9 hrs ·
It is the first Saturday of the month (it’s September already; where did the year go?), so we’re back on the running trails today. This month, both @chuakhengwee and I will be down at the usual meetup beside Essen at #Anchorvale, to join two groups on their workouts. We’re working on convincing @tingruhe to join us sometime! #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC
May be an image of 3 people, people standing, outdoors and text that says RIVER RUN Join your MP for a run along the riverside once a month to boost your fitness. Not so sure about the distance to run? Worry not, there will be two groups, covering 2.4km and 5km+ respectively NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED DATE: FIRST SATURDAY OF THE MONTH TIME: 6.30PM MEETING POINT: SENGKANG SPORTS CENTRE (OUTSIDE WATER SPORT ANCHORVALE) SKCC SENGKANG 盛港选区委员会 Kawasa Undi Sengkang CONSTITUENCY COMMITTEE செங்காங் தொகுதிக் குழு

jw5

Loyal
Jamus was invited to share his thoughts. :wink:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·
A few weeks back, I was invited to share my thoughts at the Mandala Club Singapore’s What the Future series, where speakers touch on issues that are (in their words) “on the cusp of zeitgeist.” Zeitgeist—a word with German origins—was originally conceived as a way to explain the spirit of an age that characterizes a given period of world history. But these days, the term is usually used to characterize intellectual fads and fashions. Hopefully, we don’t regard the topics I touched on purely as passing trends.
The discussion was ably facilitated by Justin Low. We touched on a very rich slate of issues, from education to philanthropy to economics to social affairs. I spoke candidly about how I thought we could evolve as a society, and was especially happy to speak about my aspirations for the future of democratic development in Singapore. Thanks to all who fielded questions; I hope you all learned as much from my sharing as I did thinking about your well-posed questions!

1662472587406.png

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

Yesterday at 19:04 ·
May be an image of 1 person and text that says Singapore aiming to have emissions reach net zero by 2050; public feedback sought Audrey Tan Assistant News Editor The Straits Times UPDATED: 11 hours ago AA SINGAPORE The Republic is considering setting 2050 as the year for Singapore to have its planet- warming emissions reach net zero, giving clarity to a timeline announced earlier this year.

Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威

Yesterday at 17:43 · Instagram ·
Net zero by 2050
1f321.png

The Singapore government has finally announced that it is considering a net-zero carbon emissions target of 2050. This is good news!
It means we have a good chance of meeting the 1.5°C global warming target in the Paris Agreement, provided we also slash emissions by 2030. It is an improvement on our previous "by or around mid-century" target (SMART Goals!). And as I pointed out during the MSE COS Debates earlier this year, our current target still has emissions continue to INCREASE up to 2030 – which will not be consistent with the Glasgow Climate Pact which recognises that we need to reduce emissions by 45% by 2030 relative to 2010 levels.
But questions remain. How will we meet the new target with our country still heavily reliant on energy intensive industries such as the Oil & Gas and broader Petrochemical industries?
Perhaps we need to look into carbon taxes with greater urgency to encourage low emissions activities. My colleagues Leon Perera and Jamus Lim have proposed that increased carbon tax revenues could be returned directly to Singaporeans as a "green dividend". This would be important as it could offset the higher cost of living, especially as climate change continues to impact things like food production.
The second question is how much of our new target will be met using carbon credits? In Parliament, I have highlighted the issue of accountability with carbon credits - what measures are in place to ensure transparency and fair implementation? And how much of our net zero commitments are based on reduced emissions vs. carbon credit offsets?
Because climate change already affects everyone on this island (and increasingly so!), we need to have open conversations about all our climate change plans. For instance, it is easy to make a commitment for 30 years from now, but can we do this for 2030, which is in less than 8 years’ time? It also means conversations about land use change, deforestation, and land reclamation. In doing so, we will be able to hold businesses, the government, and each other to account. (1/2)