• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus distributes goodie bags. :biggrin:

1645016312979.png

jw5

Loyal
from mothership.sg:

Jamus Lim does Rihanna poses to get people to buy Workers' Party umbrella to support party finances​

1645018639389.png

"A fine, handsome umbrella"​

The long handle version of the umbrella retails for S$16 on the Workers' Party website, while the compact, foldable version retails for S$13.

Lim said the umbrella "isn't the most subtle way to express your support for an alternative voice in Parliament", but that buying one would help keep the Workers' Party's finances healthy.

He said such merchandise sales are "one of the few ways" that opposition parties can raise funds especially in non-election years when interest surrounding politics tends to wane.

"While it makes a statement, it is also a fine, handsome umbrella, which does a fantastic job of keeping the elements at bay, whether rain or shine," said Lim.

He also noticed residents in Sengkang, where he is an MP, "happily brandishing the umbrella".

jw5

Loyal

jw5

Loyal
from msn.com:

WP Sylvia Lim slams ‘oppressive’ experience at COP hearing, citing toilet incident​

SINGAPORE — The Workers’ Party (WP) chairman Sylvia Lim has criticised the “oppressive” treatment that she received when she was scheduled to give evidence at the recent Committee of Privileges (COP) hearings into the lies made by ex-Member of Parliament Raeesah Khan.

1645104328458.png

Speaking in Parliament on Tuesday (15 February), Lim called for guidelines to safeguard the dignity of such parliamentary hearings.

“When I needed to visit the bathroom, I was accompanied by security. When I requested to use the disabled toilet to have more space, permission was sought. Doesn’t all this border on oppressive? Our courts of law do not subject witnesses to such treatment,” Lim said.

Lim was speaking during a parliamentary debate on two motions relating to the COP’s recommendations to fine Raeesah $35,000 for lying to the House multiple times and abusing her parliamentary privilege; and for Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh and WP vice-chairman Faisal Manap to be referred to the public prosecutor for possible criminal charges. The motions were passed in Parliament on Tuesday night.

She noted that Faisal was questioned for about six hours in a single day while the questioning of Singh lasted for nine hours in a single day.

While her questioning was less than three hours, Lim said she waited for two days in a guarded room and was denied the use of any communication device.

On Wednesday, the Office of the Clerk of Parliament responded to Lim's comments in a statement. “At no time was permission needed for witnesses to use the toilet and they could make their own way there whenever they wanted,” the statement said.

Lim had asked a Parliament officer for her to use the nearest handicapped toilet to freshen up with more space and privacy, the statement added.

“Before showing Ms Lim the way, the officer had verbally informed a supervisor on their movement in case the COP called upon Ms Lim while she was at the toilet. It was unfortunate that Ms Lim had misunderstood the officer’s routine status update.”

The statement also referred to Lim’s comments that she was prevented from using any communication device while waiting to give her evidence. “To protect them against perceptions of undue influence, all witnesses were advised not to have communication devices and other electronic equipment with them until they have completed their testimonies.”

'Baffled' by COP's conclusion​

On the COP hearings, Lim said the evidence she gave was “not inconsistent and not damaging” to Singh.

Lim said that the COP had used her handwritten note tendered by her to the COP as evidence against Singh, to support its finding that he had given Raeesah a free choice to continue the lie she had told in August.

Lim disagreed, saying that her own evidence was “consistent with his evidence that he was telling her (Raeesah), she had to tell the truth”.

Citing an extract, Lim said, “We see that when Mr Singh says to her ‘Can’t lie, right?’, Ms Khan does not contradict him – she says ‘Yes’, which is an acceptance that she cannot lie.”

Lim said she was “baffled” by the COP’s conclusion that she had recognised that Singh had acted contrary to an MP’s duty to tell the truth. She repeated in Parliament a paragraph of her evidence that she gave to the COP, “You see, it never crossed my mind and I cannot fathom this possibility that Pritam would have given her the option to choose between telling the truth or continuing the lie. That never crossed my mind and I do not believe it to be true.”

The COP did not quote this paragraph accurately when it stated that Lim was clear that a choice to tell the truth cannot be given to MPs, she told the House.

In addition, Lim read out four other paragraphs that she said were “curiously excluded” from a footnote of the COP, which formed the COP Chairman’s clarifications on the same topic. “If included and properly understood, I submit that my evidence does not support the COP’s conclusions,” Lim said.

In her speech, Lim also spoke about the composition of the COP and the processes involved during its hearings.

She said the COP was overwhelmingly dominated by the ruling People's Action Party members. Finding this “unsatisfactory”, Lim noted that the COP only had one out of its eight members from the opposition WP.

“If the Committee’s total strength is to remain at eight members in all, then three members should be from opposition parties. This is likely to result in a less one-sided hearing and fuller consideration of relevant evidence.”

Lim also questioned the absence of external lawyers from the COP hearings. She cited the example of a COP hearing in 1986, when Parliament allowed questioning conducted by a law officer of the Legal Service.

"It would seem to me that such a process is better. It would enable the Committee to sit back and concentrate on evaluating the evidence dispassionately, rather than have Committee members actively positing a certain case theory and trying to break witnesses down," Lim said.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus goes on house visits. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
Perhaps owing to the fact that many families are still out doing visitations over the Chinese New Year period, we were able to complete our house visits for 329B #Anchorvale last week with remarkable speed (which, for me, simply means covering the entire block over the course of the evening).
This week, however, things were a little slower-going. With more families at home (and more COVID-positive cases serving quarantines!), we only managed around 7 floors in 353A, before having to call it a night.
Many households offered words of encouragement, and expressed their gratitude that the #workersparty was there to be their alternative voice in Parliament.
It is, of course, easy (and all-too-human) to shake our fists at untoward events, and bemoan perceived injustice. But as cliched as it sounds, the stumbles I've faced in life have only served to enrich my sense of purpose and meaning, and helped inculcate some patience and wisdom.
As I explained to our residents, regardless of the challenges, we were elected to do a job---represent the interests and concerns of the people of #SengkangGRC---and our efforts to do so will remain unaltered, our desire undeterred, and our resolve unwavering. #TeamSengkang #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus shares a sad story. :frown:

Jamus Lim

3 hrs ·
23 years ago on this date, Dad left us. It was sudden, and he was only 49 at the time. His passing was difficult for our close-knit family, and while I’ve also met others who lost their parents at a young age, my sister and I felt unprepared to face life without a father. It was also especially difficult for Mom, for whom Dad was her first boyfriend (yes, virtually unimaginable these days), and who now had to shoulder the financial and emotional burden of taking care of two children. Thankfully, Dad had insured against such an eventuality, and so the struggle—hard as it was—was nevertheless eased somewhat.
Over the course of my work as a representative of #SengkangGRC, I’ve met other households who have experienced such unexpected grief. I do my level best to empathize, to listen to their sorrow, and to offer support with any appeals or applications to government agencies that they may have. It is my job to do so, of course, but I also see it as an enormous privilege to be able to be there for others during their time of need.
For our family, we always take this time of the year to remind ourselves of not just Dad’s legacy, but also of what ultimately matters: to treasure each other, and the time we still have left to walk on this good earth, and the values and virtues that we leave behind.
Yet another year, without you here
Another season, we have not shared
Another holiday, sans your laughter
Another milestone, you did not witness
But yet, in our hearts and minds
You have never left
May be an image of 2 people, child, people standing and indoor

jw5

Loyal
Jamus recently spoke at the 2022 edition of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore NTU Model United Nations, at a session on regional affairs and security concerns. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·
I recently spoke at the 2022 edition of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore NTU Model United Nations, at a session on regional affairs and security concerns. I joined two other academics, Felix Tan (Strategy and Implementation, NTU) and Kei Koga (Politics, NTU), to discuss the post-pandemic landscape in ASEAN. Much of the discussion focused on the "high politics" of regional democratic development and coordination (especially in the shadow of Myanmar), with my own minor contribution being the "low politics" of regional macroeconomic prospects and the future of ASEAN economic integration. Thanks to Ruchira for organizing, Mayank for facilitating, and the team at NTUMUN for the opportunity to speak with eager, internationally-minded on a rainy Sunday morning---it is always a pleasure and honor.

1645705899178.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus comments on his estate walks. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

1 hr ·
Our #TeamSengkang estate walks over the past two weeks—at the #Anchorvale Vista and Cove clusters—allowed me to check in on the status of two recently-completed projects. The first was a covered linkway, which was financed by national-level Community Improvements Project Committee (CIPC) funds. Works had been significantly delayed as a result of COVID-19-related restrictions, but its completion now means that residents can traverse both ends of the Cove neighborhood during inclement weather.
The second was the replacement of a footpath that had become severely degraded over time. We were able to dip into the routine budget of the #SengkangGRC Town Council for this one, remedying an issue that had been longstanding for a number of years.
Often, residents share with me that it’s the little annoyances (and associated improvements) that make the most difference to their day-to-day, and so I often do my level best to push through such projects, big or small, to help make life just that little bit better.

jw5

Loyal
Cannot let minorities hold leadership positions

Depends on who. I thought Pritam did very well during the hearings, based on the msm reports, he made Edwin look like an arrogant fool.
PAP wanted him to behave like the accused or at worse a witness, but Pritam behaved like a defense lawyer.
Having said that, I think Jamus is a better candidate for WP Secretary General than Pritam. :wink:

jw5

Loyal
Jamus proposes donating to the Red Cross. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

4 hrs ·
In #Parliament today, foreign minister Vivian Balakrishnan emphasized Singapore’s position that rejects and condemns the violation of the sovereignty of the Ukraine, while also announcing a limited slate of economic sanctions. Whatever one’s politics, I think we can agree that the ones that suffer most are civilians, who are now subject to risk of life and property. One way to support these innocents is to donate to the Red Cross and its humanitarian efforts there: https://www.giving.sg/singapore-red-cross.../ukraine-crisis

1646052924061.png