• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Do Many Chinese Hawkers Still Tout?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not only Newton but common throughout hawker centres and food courts. And sorry to other Chinese who don't tout, I can say that all touts are Chinese. This ill-founded practice seemed to be dying off in the last decade but has since been revitalized by PRC hawker assistants. As for me, it's the surest way of irritating potential customer and lose business. My Singaporean Chinese friends agree too. The moment we walk pass a stall and take a glance but hearing "boss, come come, we have this and that, also that and this blah blah blah" is the moment we'll decide not to eat from that stall.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
depend on location.

little india eateries full of ah neh touts.

geylang serai market full of mat yoyo touts.

Last edited:

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
pls go to beach road hawker centre basement.

you will see your beloved ah nehs all shouting at you to order their kambeng.

but ofcourse you will say that they are enterprising blah blah blah bullsheet,

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
depend on location.

little india eateries full of ah neh touts.

geylang serai market full of mat yoyo touts.

I think you're confusing announcing with touting. For example, many stalls do annonce out loud hello hello, lelong lelong, this and that etc. Chinese stalls do that too That's a bit noisy but it's fine and understandable. Touting is different. It's aimed at specific individual. It's personally irritating and buggering.

If 1 stall more popular than the other 1? what would the other 1 do? touts lah.....

I thought the logical thing is to check on their own food quality and pricing.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you're confusing announcing with touting. For example, many stalls do annonce out loud hello hello, lelong lelong, this and that etc. Chinese stalls do that too That's a bit noisy but it's fine and understandable. Touting is different. It's aimed at specific individual. It's personally irritating and buggering.

i think u r the 1 who is confused. i know what is touting and what is hello this n that. of cos when chinese say hello to u it is touting but when other races do same to u is ok. u r what u r.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was told by my friend who continues to tout at Newton that for them, they have arrangements made with the stallholder. The latter sells them whatever is ordered at normal price and the touts will up the price to the customers. Still quite lucrative for these touts but biz not as good as the past when Japs kena chooped head. Nowadays, some Japs go direct to the stall and look at the menu before ordering.

In the 1990s touts were involved in the sale of copy watches along Orchard Rd - Lucky Plaza and Orchard Plaza.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think u r the 1 who is confused. i know what is touting and what is hello this n that. of cos when chinese say hello to u it is touting but when other races do same to u is ok. u r what u r.

The difference:

- (to public passers-by) hello hello seafood and good food blah blah blah available here (general vocal advertising)
You can stop and take a look if what you hear interests you or just move on if it doesn't sound interesting to you.

- (to you directly) boss, come come, seafood and good food blah blah blah available here (touting amounting to harrassment)
When you try to courteous and reply no, not interested, they pester on with a list of other mumbo jumbo food available.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
The difference:

- (to public passers-by) hello hello seafood and good food blah blah blah available here (general vocal advertising)
You can stop and take a look if what you hear interests you or just move on if it doesn't sound interesting to you.

- (to you directly) boss, come come, seafood and good food blah blah blah available here (touting amounting to harrassment)
When you try to courteous and reply no, not interested, they pester on with a list of other mumbo jumbo food available.

u think mats and ah neh hawker no pester people? :*: touts are irritating, and that includes touts of all races. period.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not only Newton but common throughout hawker centres and food courts. And sorry to other Chinese who don't tout, I can say that all touts are Chinese. This ill-founded practice seemed to be dying off in the last decade but has since been revitalized by PRC hawker assistants. As for me, it's the surest way of irritating potential customer and lose business. My Singaporean Chinese friends agree too. The moment we walk pass a stall and take a glance but hearing "boss, come come, we have this and that, also that and this blah blah blah" is the moment we'll decide not to eat from that stall.

lianbeng asks u, "never watch those chinese movies meh? they are always snatching customers mah. 谁的地盘?":biggrin:

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is more irritating is they leave all the uneaten food pile up. We would wait for them to clear and if they don't we'll just walk without touching or paying for the food served.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go Clarke quay and Boat quay, then you talk lah.:rolleyes:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

hey u don't talk rubbish lah you dumb POS. What is it about chinese that you hate? You must have gotten bullied badly by chinese to come up with all this nonsense. Ironically you're half chinese. Hey no problem just chop off 1 hand and 1 leg then you'll be rid of your cursed half.

Btw on the issue of touting. I had m&ds ask me if i wanted satay at lau pasar and kelings asking me if i wanted their chicken chop and whatever rubbish so other races do tout too.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Forvendet:

I believe this behaviour belongs to the unrefined in situations where there is plenty of competition and this is how they feel they can rise above the crowd and get attention of the potentials - by being louder, more upfront. They may not realize it but it can be quite "into the face" thing they're practicing. Some may find it novel, I don't.

Aggressive sales behaviour is actually a turn-off, especially to me. I am in no hurry to part with money and prefer to take my own sweet time to decide. Hawker food does not make my tummy crave.

Cheers!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Forvendet:

I believe this behaviour belongs to the unrefined in situations where there is plenty of competition and this is how they feel they can rise above the crowd and get attention of the potentials - by being louder, more upfront. They may not realize it but it can be quite "into the face" thing they're practicing. Some may find it novel, I don't.

Aggressive sales behaviour is actually a turn-off, especially to me. I am in no hurry to part with money and prefer to take my own sweet time to decide. Hawker food does not make my tummy crave.

Cheers!

Yup and all races engage in that type of behavior.