• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why being a teacher in Singapore was the most terrible mistake I have made

Taylorshit

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Gobbledegook

I have procrastinated quite a fair bit before this entry. Well, I guess I will just do an entry about the most irksome job I have had which pulled the trigger on my migration plan to Canada. I had wanted to write to MOE when I resigned last year about the misfits and frustrations I felt as a teacher, but I hesitated and eventually, I didn't. I am glad I hadn't, else further investigation would have probed another teary face. I am not going to start a list on how much I hated being in this job, I just want to share my experience with aspiring teachers so they could think twice before signing on the dotted line. To teachers who are still in service, you definitely have my respect. May your passion never dies, and continue to serve you well ahead.

I did not grow up to love teaching, I joined teaching because I thought it was an iron bowl and a stable career with minimal politics, not knowing I will grow to hate it so much 7 years later.

During my years in NIE, my classmates (most of whom have left the service) and I had an awesome time together. We were so young, and so passionate about the job and thrilled by the differences we are able to make upon graduation. During our teaching practicum, it was apparent that teaching was one of the most fulfilling and rewarding job. I happened to take over this P4 Foundation Chinese Class for 10 weeks. It was 10 long weeks but one of the fondest memory I have of teaching. The class was made up of children who were struggling with Chinese Language and some of the students have special needs. I was originally deterred by the class profile and was not confident that I could manage them well. My mentor was very patient with me and she shared with me so many teaching methodologies which helped me in my later years. I remembered this kid came up to me and gave me a hand- drawn card after my practicum, she couldn't grasp the pen very well due to her medical condition, but I could see the effort she put in to piece the wordings together. Along with her card, I received several other cards detailing their heart- felt words and pictures of me drawn all over. It was one of the most heart- warming moment of my life. I miss these kids, who probably don't remember me anymore, even till today.

Good things doesn't last, they say.

The truth about teaching is, as soon as you are posted to a school, impressionable principals take less than 15 minutes to scrutinize you and your CV, and push you to classes they want you to take on without considering your options. Well, for an organisation this big, it is almost impossible to ensure proper handing over of duties and careful allocation of work. I was handed 39 periods a week, and given tasks and responsibilities they deemed fit for a teacher who is now bonded and at the mercy of their hands.

Needless to say, the overwhelming experience and lack of guidance caught me off guard. I was a young 22 years old who was still holding on to cards made by ex students and had practically no idea who to turn to for help. The choices were clear, either I worked hard to be noticed or I lay low to avoid unnecessary trashing.

As if it wasn't tough enough, I failed my first teaching observation lesson with the VP who hated me to the core because I cried when she listed what I didn't do well enough during the lesson. Fast forward 5 years, I saw her again in another school when she came as a parent, she didn't even came to talk to me. Anyways, I was so badly criticized that she even went on to say how Singaporean Chinese do not speak or use Chinese well enough to teach it, and that I was too young to teach. She ended her conversation, asking me if I should switch to teaching English instead. That was the breaking point, I cried and I cried even when I went to the staff meeting later. Everyone was looking at me, yet no one offered words of consolation to the girl who badly needed them. 1 or 2 teachers came forward, patted me on my shoulder and walked away. The rest of the teachers were indifferent. Whoever said teachers are good people should go kill themselves.​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2014/07/why-being-teacher-in-singapore-was-most.html

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
nonsense, very hard to get a MOE teaching job these days. Many PRCs from enrichment centres also applying.

most young teachers get $100,000 a year before 40 and many even higher.
Get annual leave + school holidays (don't have to go back daily).
After 50 years old, just be slack, relax and enjoy your continued high pay
After retire, can teach adjunct or part-time, still get $5000 a month.

If you cannot survive teaching job, you probably can't service in many other sectors. If you command the same pay in private sector or other civil service, the job probably has less work-life balance

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
nonsense, very hard to get a MOE teaching job these days. Many PRCs from enrichment centres also applying.

most young teachers get $100,000 a year before 40 and many even higher.
Get annual leave + school holidays (don't have to go back daily).
After 50 years old, just be slack, relax and enjoy your continued high pay
After retire, can teach adjunct or part-time, still get $5000 a month.

If you cannot survive teaching job, you probably can't service in many other sectors. If you command the same pay in private sector or other civil service, the job probably has less work-life balance
100k is common for teaching is common

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teachers didn't make a difference to me back in school as I never knew what they were teaching anyway. I just spent 6 weeks mugging for my O Levels and managed to top the whole class for the best 5 subjects.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
The kids are going for tuition anyway. The teachers are just for show. The tutors are the one who will determine the grades of the kids.

With AI teachers are no longer necessary. My mentor became a cancer expert without a teacher.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
She Should have joined PAP via the grassroot rout. She should be enjoying her wealth and holiday and throw brick and stones on the opposition.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Gobbledegook

I have procrastinated quite a fair bit before this entry. Well, I guess I will just do an entry about the most irksome job I have had which pulled the trigger on my migration plan to Canada. I had wanted to write to MOE when I resigned last year about the misfits and frustrations I felt as a teacher, but I hesitated and eventually, I didn't. I am glad I hadn't, else further investigation would have probed another teary face. I am not going to start a list on how much I hated being in this job, I just want to share my experience with aspiring teachers so they could think twice before signing on the dotted line. To teachers who are still in service, you definitely have my respect. May your passion never dies, and continue to serve you well ahead.

I did not grow up to love teaching, I joined teaching because I thought it was an iron bowl and a stable career with minimal politics, not knowing I will grow to hate it so much 7 years later.

During my years in NIE, my classmates (most of whom have left the service) and I had an awesome time together. We were so young, and so passionate about the job and thrilled by the differences we are able to make upon graduation. During our teaching practicum, it was apparent that teaching was one of the most fulfilling and rewarding job. I happened to take over this P4 Foundation Chinese Class for 10 weeks. It was 10 long weeks but one of the fondest memory I have of teaching. The class was made up of children who were struggling with Chinese Language and some of the students have special needs. I was originally deterred by the class profile and was not confident that I could manage them well. My mentor was very patient with me and she shared with me so many teaching methodologies which helped me in my later years. I remembered this kid came up to me and gave me a hand- drawn card after my practicum, she couldn't grasp the pen very well due to her medical condition, but I could see the effort she put in to piece the wordings together. Along with her card, I received several other cards detailing their heart- felt words and pictures of me drawn all over. It was one of the most heart- warming moment of my life. I miss these kids, who probably don't remember me anymore, even till today.

Good things doesn't last, they say.

The truth about teaching is, as soon as you are posted to a school, impressionable principals take less than 15 minutes to scrutinize you and your CV, and push you to classes they want you to take on without considering your options. Well, for an organisation this big, it is almost impossible to ensure proper handing over of duties and careful allocation of work. I was handed 39 periods a week, and given tasks and responsibilities they deemed fit for a teacher who is now bonded and at the mercy of their hands.

Needless to say, the overwhelming experience and lack of guidance caught me off guard. I was a young 22 years old who was still holding on to cards made by ex students and had practically no idea who to turn to for help. The choices were clear, either I worked hard to be noticed or I lay low to avoid unnecessary trashing.

As if it wasn't tough enough, I failed my first teaching observation lesson with the VP who hated me to the core because I cried when she listed what I didn't do well enough during the lesson. Fast forward 5 years, I saw her again in another school when she came as a parent, she didn't even came to talk to me. Anyways, I was so badly criticized that she even went on to say how Singaporean Chinese do not speak or use Chinese well enough to teach it, and that I was too young to teach. She ended her conversation, asking me if I should switch to teaching English instead. That was the breaking point, I cried and I cried even when I went to the staff meeting later. Everyone was looking at me, yet no one offered words of consolation to the girl who badly needed them. 1 or 2 teachers came forward, patted me on my shoulder and walked away. The rest of the teachers were indifferent. Whoever said teachers are good people should go kill themselves.​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2014/07/why-being-teacher-in-singapore-was-most.html
When you look at some teachers and some close relative who are teachers.
You will know that these so call teachers are "more politician like then they are teachers alone" !

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
The kids are going for tuition anyway. The teachers are just for show. The tutors are the one who will determine the grades of the kids.

With AI teachers are no longer necessary. My mentor became a cancer expert without a teacher.
Teachers are better known as facilitators.
I would have changed their title to educational facilitator.
As I said before, why on earth we need someone to read out things to you again when they were already all in archives .
Hence, a facilitator comes into play.

For your mentor, I believe she became a cancer expert by asking chatgpt.
She even asked chatgpt to tell her the stones thrown at her bedroom window was from which floor :eek:
What a fucking siao lang. You better quit from her mentorship before you become a siao lang.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Abosolutely right. Singapore chnese are amdk wannabes, terrible mandarin and no dialect. How to teach? Constant crying too is a nutjob. You cant hire

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teachers are better known as facilitators.
I would have changed their title to educational facilitator.
As I said before, why on earth we need someone to read out things to you again when they were already all in archives .
Hence, a facilitator comes into play.

For your mentor, I believe she became a cancer expert by asking chatgpt.
She even asked chatgpt to tell her the stones thrown at her bedroom window was from which floor :eek:
What a fucking siao lang. You better quit from her mentorship before you become a siao lang.
Known to be uneducated.