• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where have aLL the Good curry puffs gone ?..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Gone are those days of a good soLid puff where the fiLLings are packed with your fave choice of
fiLLings; be it potatoes, sardines or chopped kambing bits.:cool:
Now it's aLL pastry coatings on the outside; and one hard careLess bite can probabLy cause both your upper and Lower teeth to hit; cos actuaLLy the fiLLings are so sparse in between !..:eek:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gone are those days of a good soLid puff where the fiLLings are packed with your fave choice of
Now it's aLL pastry coatings on the outside; and one hard careLess bite can probabLy cause both your upper and Lower teeth to hit; cos actuaLLy the fiLLings are so sparse in between !..:eek:
ya, man! ...

sinkielanz gahmen oso lidat ...

dose days, u get a gahmen wif solid men who woks 4 peasants ... now, u haf n mt shell stuffed wif a bunch of incompetent, self-serving, self-enriching, useless burgers ...

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah harder to get those yummy malays curry puffs.
have to get to do with the not as yummy chinese made one.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
unfortunately nowadays u can only trust those u make yourselves.

20130429_174405_zps6b4414e3.jpg

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dont be fooLed by the authenticity of the MaLays' puffs nowadays too.A pack of 3 seLLing by the OHB for a $1.
Many of these are actuaLLy soLd by the Indons coming in off Batam.:cool:
Best part is; some staLLs wouLd buy these same puffs' in buLks and reseLL them for 50cts each.:(

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont be fooLed by the authenticity of the MaLays' puffs nowadays too.A pack of 3 seLLing by the OHB for a $1.
Many of these are actuaLLy soLd by the Indons coming in off Batam.:cool:
Best part is; some staLLs wouLd buy these same puffs' in buLks and reseLL them for 50cts each.:(

yeah i had a couple of those.... they are actually quite tasty.... but just as you said bro.... a lot of those epok epok are being resold by some sneaky malay hawkers at $0.50 a piece ... ridiculous.....

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Noooooo. Traditional Malay Ka Li Pok very small in size and about 40 cent eat. Buy 3 is 1 dollar. WTF!?!?

No difficult to make lah. But very messy when covering the dough to the kan tan or sardine. Outside folding also not nice if use hand. But think now got the mould to do it swee swee.

Recipes a lot on the internet lah. I like small small one.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
last week i get to try 2 'famous' curry puffs.

1st- tip top curry puff from amk centre. hmm... i have been eating this for 20 over years and the taste really gone downhill. last time the pastry is thick, fragrant and a bit sweet. now is bland. last time, can eat big piece of chicken meat. now is minced chicken meat.

2nd- golden mile tower basement food court. this one, i dont know famous or not, but i did see some newspaper cutting. its crispy and is fried on the spot. therefore, every bite is really piping hot! but spicy wise, still alright.

used to love old chang kee. but after they are listed on sgx, its products really sucks! also tried the '126' geylang dim sum shop curry puffs. it is very salty, and does not have the spiceness in it. i advise u all to avoid their curry puffs.

i dont like the crispy/flaky skin type (e.g. A1 curry puffs) so, i will still stick to tip top!!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Go to East Coast Laguna hawker centre. Old man still selling curry puffs cheap but quality dropped somewhat from 5 years ago.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok guys, Recommend you all. Is near aljuined. Its a coffeeshop opposite a factory, think call guthrie or gutry. This shop confirm beat all the crap. Stall is just behind bus stop if I not wrong. Sibeh solid. If no good, zap me lah. Try the mushroom one also.

jw5

Loyal
Last time I recall near the old Rex cinema used to have a few stalls.
I think Old Chang Kee may have started from there.
There was another one called Selera or something and one or two others.
Can't remember the price, but easily less than $1 then, and the taste was probably better too.
Even with all the re-development, the shops seemed to be better in the old days.

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Hans curry pok still ok, but expensive. East Coast hawker centre also ok. The rest, all like fuck.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My earliest recollection of buying curry puffs from OCK was from their push trolley cart at Lau Pa Sat. This must have been around the mid 1990s.

The company has come a long way since then. Now it's even listed on the SES.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays all Halal certified liao :rolleyes:
Tip Top Curry Puff has already changed hands ( that's why they are Halal now )
Worse are those jumping on the "exotic" Thai cuisine bandwagon.
You will never get to see karp pao moo in the menu karp pao gai is being shown instead :rolleyes:

Who did you vote for ?
:p