• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What kind of opposition do we want to elect?

jw5

Loyal
So do you agree with GMS that only a "chinese educated person" can understand the difference? HAHA!
I, who eat potato one and am not a reporter :o , have tried my very best to explain the differences between "taking care" and "looking after", in the thread entitled "The Battle Of Tampines".

Btw, I''ll be happy to vote for TKL, if he does not insist on a pre-nomination day petition.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I, who eat potato one and am not a reporter :o , have tried my very best to explain the differences between "taking care" and "looking after", in the thread entitled "The Battle Of Tampines".

Only a madcow politician would bother with that. All other sane politicians will tell the voters they'll do whatever in their power to take care of voters. For a madcow, the duty is shirked before even it's assigned and entrusted.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, it seems like the discourse here is merely an exercise in self-justification on why, in spite of everything the PAP has done, the Opposition should not be voted for. I take it then that all this talk about foreigners and expensive housing is just hot air. Nothing is actually wrong, everything is right. It's only a tiny bunch of disgruntled idiots flapping their gums. 50 years of election results don't lie.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only a madcow politician would bother with that. All other sane politicians will tell the voters they'll do whatever in their power to take care of voters. The duty is shirked before even it's assigned and entrusted.

I would perfer the term "take care" and not "look after" as "look after" as good as "eye power" and that is amount to doing nothiing and getting others to do the job instead.

Why did Low and Chiam is able to stay elected despite all the PAP attacks? Why did Ling got ousted out? Its the same reason. The voters wanted to be taken care of and not just been looked after of.

The voters are not dumb. I have talked to a few people in Aljunied GRC and they told me why they didnt vote WP that time or would not be voting WP in the coming election because they felt that the WP candidates does not seem capable to take care of their interest and needs when the time arise. The same people do not perfer PAP as well as they have mention that PAP had done little to take care of the ward, yet unfortunatly, they have very little faith in WP as well. So i guess their choice was clear.

so what can opposition candidates do to turn the thoughts around, that opposition candidates can take care the ward and the voters' needs? The voters are the first and foremost people that the candidates have to reach out to and sincerity is much needed to project a positive and engaing image.

I m to give SDP credit in such display in cyberspace with their recent engagment. However, SDP's problem is a mental image that their earlier destruction had projected a negative impression of how the whole opposition incompetency could become and if their is any new victory in the coming election, which ever party must maintain a positive image for all Singaporeans to see. that is something yet to be seen.

Will GMS and hs team able to capture Tampines? I can say that many voters and residents on the ground are pretty excited about the challenge and the development. But will these be translated into votes for NSP? that is for GMS and his team to show what kind of MPs they can become and live up to the expectations. The only people who are most unhappy are the grassroot leaders, those in CCs and RCs because they have been pushed really really hard to work out new programs to give their "advisors" a positive image. The grudge level among the grassroots towards PA and PAP has risen.

so what now? are the oppositon candidates capable to win the hearts, minds and votes of the voters?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Btw, I''ll be happy to vote for TKL, if he does not insist on a pre-nomination day petition.

I'm sure many people will actually be happy to vote TKL, but the problem is people like TKL read the ground as unfavourable at this instance. Unless pple like TKL can sense a discernible shift in groundswell, they wun commit. And that's the problem.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure many people will actually be happy to vote TKL, but the problem is people like TKL read the ground as unfavourable at this instance. Unless pple like TKL can sense a discernible shift in groundswell, they wun commit. And that's the problem.

Cannot be we vote to invite him to contest mah.

If no heart means no heart.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

TKL is a political liablity as he was with PAP and any party he join, PAP will go all out to destroy that party. this could be good news for the other parties as PAP will focus all their firepower just to run TKL down and much leave the rest alone.

PAP wont mind losing a few GRCs as long as they can take TKL down and he knows they will be extremely ruthless against him and his family.

Their is no mercy for traitors within PAP ranks. That is their first rule.

jw5

Loyal
I'll vote for him to see what he says and how they take him on.
But if he waits for the ground to turn, he may be 90 by then and MM will be 120. They can go and have a battle then. :biggrin:

But if he wants a signed petition, he can wait longlong.
Like cheekenpie rightly put it, "cannot be we vote to invite him to contest mah".

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pretty sure (99%) that we don't know each other personally, but also quite sure (75%) that I know who you are. :wink:

If I'm the 75%, I thank you and glad to be known as ordinary. If I'm the 25%, I hope the 75% isn't Henry Thia :smile:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see the problem as this: opposition reflects the ground reality more than anything else. The fact that current opposition is weak is primarily because the voters don't desire to see real change as yet.

You see the problem as a vicious cycle, if I read you correctly, in that voters don't elect oppo, and therefore good people don't join, and therefore voters don't vote oppo, and so on.

I think it is more than that. If voters start to see a need for real change, as opposed to just having one or two "watchdog", then you will automatically see more good people coming forth to serve in opposition politics.

I surmise that voters' desire to see changes often happens at the same time as the quality of the change agent, in all case, the opposition. The increase in opposition numbers in recent times does reflect a level of increased unhappiness that even the PAP is aware of.

Take the example of Malaysia 2008. The increase in quality and quantity of the opposition is followed closely by their landslide.

What can be terrible is if voter's desire for change lag behind opposition's desire for change. Opposition's desire for change lagging behind voter's desire for change is more alright. This is where the chicken and egg come about. In short, will voters desire to change but hold back due to fear (not of PAP but of change itself).

That is why I make it a point to vote for anything that moves outside the PAP. Whether others think the same way, I respect them.

Just a simple example: Tan Kin Lian. He has been reading the ground carefully so see how he should position himself. He has not committed to any party because of the ground reality which is currently not in favour of substantive political change.

You can bet that people of similar stature as TKL will be doing the same "homework" first, before committing themselves.

TKL? He's doing homework of the opposition rather than the ground. In that sense, nothing fantastic about his acumen. His only strategy is "Diao Kee Lai Buay" based on his past credentials which is why even several opposition camps have got tired of him.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That says a lot about the PAP mentality and how it has led to the current situation.

Co-opt all the good people in, and then threaten with harsh sanctions should they break ranks. That way, opposition will always be talent-deprived.

TKL is a political liablity as he was with PAP and any party he join, PAP will go all out to destroy that party. this could be good news for the other parties as PAP will focus all their firepower just to run TKL down and much leave the rest alone.

PAP wont mind losing a few GRCs as long as they can take TKL down and he knows they will be extremely ruthless against him and his family.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who gives a fuck what PAP is going to bring up!!!!

Confirm is a sinkie MP, what kind of people do you have in your country, only sinkies.

If you have no respect for Singapore and Singaporeans and are not happy, just give up your Singapore citizenship and go away.

If you cant give up your citizenship, then suck it up and try to make changes instead of crapping shit all over the place.

With people like you that show no respect to others, i can see why opposition cant win.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
That says a lot about the PAP mentality and how it has led to the current situation.

Co-opt all the good people in, and then threaten with harsh sanctions should they break ranks. That way, opposition will always be talent-deprived.

Sad to say, this is how dirty politics can become.

If you expect politics to be clean and be carriied out with modesty, such an ideal world do not exist.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I can see the merits of your POV though personally I am more inclined to be discriminating in order to send a signal to the oppo that they should never use the present circumstances as an excuse for mediocrity.

In the long run I believe discrimination would lead to a better outcome, even if it takes more time.

Take the example of Malaysia 2008. The increase in quality and quantity of the opposition is followed closely by their landslide.

What can be terrible is if voter's desire for change lag behind opposition's desire for change. Opposition's desire for change lagging behind voter's desire for change is more alright. This is where the chicken and egg come about. In short, will voters desire to change but hold back due to fear (not of PAP but of change itself).

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sad to say, this is how dirty politics can become.

If you expect politics to be clean and be carriied out with modesty, such an ideal world do not exist.

And not forgetting that Singapore is not the dirtiest place in the world politically. Even so-called western democracies can be even dirtier. And just across the causeway ISA detention is still being used indiscriminately.

The thing we still lack is that spark to embrace and push for wide-sweeping change.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can see the merits of your POV though personally I am more inclined to be discriminating in order to send a signal to the oppo that they should never use the present circumstances as an excuse for mediocrity.

In the long run I believe discrimination would lead to a better outcome, even if it takes more time.

Yes, I do respect that. You have a point too, though personally I would not change the way I vote, I would even extend the privilege to opposition voting against another opposition party, which is why I'm consistently the only one/one of the few in Sammy's who maintain that I had nothing against WP's Yaw. He had long since retracted, in that sense become like me, voting for any opposition, which of course I have no issue either, much less feel a need for him to apologise - even if this led to a heated exchange with Scroobal. Either way, I am ok.

All the above is reiteration, anyway :smile:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm consistently the only one/one of the few in Sammy's who maintain that I had nothing against WP's Yaw. He had long since retracted, in that sense become like me, voting for any opposition, which of course I have no issue either, much less feel a need for him to apologise - even if this led to a heated exchange with Scroobal. Either way, I am ok.

The thing that made me go "FACE-PALM" was Yaw's handling to the issue in the media + flip-flopping and the fact that he was in a politically sensitive position of actually being a candidate himself. 100 times worse than GMS saying it's not really the job of the MP to take care of the ward.

Its ok to have heated exchanges with scroobal and the rest. If exchanges never become heated, then I worry :biggrin::biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The thing that made me go "FACE-PALM" was Yaw's handling to the issue in the media + flip-flopping and the fact that he was in a politically sensitive position of actually being a candidate himself. 100 times worse than GMS saying it's not really the job of the MP to take care of the ward.

Its ok to have heated exchanges with scroobal and the rest. If exchanges never become heated, then I worry :biggrin::biggrin:

Like I said, reiterating :smile: But if you read, Scro's point or the issue often heard online was not so much about flip flop or handling the media, but the fact that he voted the PAP. Even if he handled the media well, none of the views would change - case in point is Temasek Review's often drumming this up or Scro's penchant for his lack of apology.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said, reiterating :smile: But if you read, Scro's point or the issue often heard online was not so much about flip flop or handling the media, but the fact that he voted the PAP. Even if he handled the media well, none of the views would change - case in point is Temasek Review's often drumming this up or Scro's penchant for his lack of apology.
I have no respect for WP's Yaw.

If you are in a war,you do not admit that your enemy is better than you,even though that is a fact.

At most he can be a paper politician,but I do believe WP is his second choice