• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What do you think of this chicken rice recipe ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean Pandan leaves is missing or that Siracha is another name for Pandan leaves ?

she says SIRACHA SAUCE a condiment...you don't add that to the rice when it is cooking, here we tie pandan leaves, and boil with the chicken rice...cooking that sumptuous pot of Hainanese Chicken Rice is an art..I have tried, using ginger, pandan leaves, chicken broth, chicken fats to lightly fry the rice grain..and adding the chicken fats to the rice when cookinh...just don't taste like the ones cooked by the Hainanese cook..close, but still cannot get the real thing.

I have tried variations...still not up to par...have to consult a Hainanese cook sifu on this.... ha ha ha ha

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
she says SIRACHA SAUCE a condiment...you don't add that to the rice when it is cooking, here we tie pandan leaves, and boil with the chicken rice...cooking that sumptuous pot of Hainanese Chicken Rice is an art..I have tried, using ginger, pandan leaves, chicken broth, chicken fats to lightly fry the rice grain..and adding the chicken fats to the rice when cookinh...just don't taste like the ones cooked by the Hainanese cook..close, but still cannot get the real thing.

I have tried variations...still not up to par...have to consult a Hainanese cook sifu on this.... ha ha ha ha

I missed the entire phrase "Siracha chilli sauce". I read she added "siracha, sugar, lime etc." and was wondering WTF the name of a Thai city or province is involved.

Siracha is for the chilli. Pandan leaves for the rice. But I prefer lemon grass.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Wash the rice, don't soak in water, soak in the chicken soup, then cook.

2. May consider using some pieces of chicken fat to cook the rice. When you open the cooker, you see water level not higher than the half cooked rice, stir the pieces of chicken fat with the rice, so that all rice got chicken fat.

http://steamykitchen.com/5068-hainanese-chicken-rice.html

Anyone has anything else to add ?

btw, what is siracha ? It's being added to make chilli sauce.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I missed the entire phrase "Siracha chilli sauce". I read she added "siracha, sugar, lime etc." and was wondering WTF the name of a Thai city or province is involved.

Siracha is for the chilli. Pandan leaves for the rice. But I prefer lemon grass.

Pardon me, you don't add lemon grass to cook the rice?? it will get lemon grass smell & taste..have not come across rice as in Hainanese Chicken rice with lemon grass taste??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. Wash the rice, don't soak in water, soak in the chicken soup, then cook.

2. May consider using some pieces of chicken fat to cook the rice. When you open the cooker, you see water level not higher than the half cooked rice, stir the pieces of chicken fat with the rice, so that all rice got chicken fat.

I discovered that the chicken fat is one of the thing that gives the rice the distinct smell, when the rice is cooked.. that is why I ask the chicken seller at the market for the chicken fats.. never mind the healthy eating ha ha ha

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pardon me, you don't add lemon grass to cook the rice?? it will get lemon grass smell & taste..have not come across rice as in Hainanese Chicken rice with lemon grass taste??

I add lemon grass to my nasi lemak rice too. It smells nice.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I add a dash of sesame seed oil and fry the chicken fat, then add in.

I discovered that the chicken fat is one of the thing that gives the rice the distinct smell, when the rice is cooked.. that is why I ask the chicken seller at the market for the chicken fats.. never mind the healthy eating ha ha ha

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I put one or two drops only. Because different chicken got different smell......really. Maybe depending on the feed or something. But that's just my cooking style.:o

Normally, chicken rice sellers mix the sesame seed oil with the soy sauce that they pour over the chicken meat, when serving.

Sesame oil has a strong smell...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best chicken rice recipe that I tried was the one that GMS put in this forum and his blog. Try it, really good.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sesame oil has a strong smell...
Use a dash like bro said. Some rub a little sesame seed oil on skin of chicken before steaming.
For more fragrant rice can add garlic, shallots and even spring onions....most important is chicken soup and oil to cook the rice.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nasi Lemak is different, unless there is a variant of Chicken rice that uses lemon grass, I have not come across & the first time I am reading it!?

Nasi Lemak most important is the coconut milk followed by pandan leaves....lemon grass cannot substitute....not sure what you will end up with by using lemon grass

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have see "garlic whole" in the rice cooker of some chicken rice sellers......incidentally:o

Use a dash like bro said. Some rub a little sesame seed oil on skin of chicken before steaming.
For more fragrant rice can add garlic, shallots and even spring onions....most important is chicken soup and oil to cook the rice.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have see "garlic whole" in the rice cooker of some chicken rice sellers......incidentally:o
For me garlic is a must. Shallots and spring onion optional...there is a famous chicken rice stall that uses fried shallots oil as secret ingredient in the rice.