• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Want to visit the loo? Get a 'permit' first

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090513-141188.html

Wed, May 13, 2009
AsiaOne

20090513.181328_toiletpass.jpg

Want to go to the loo? Sorry, quota filled

Want to visit the loo? Get a 'permit' first.

This is a rule that a prestigious primary school in the east has set - only two students can go the toilet at any one time. And before they can head off to the washroom, a 'permit' from the teacher must be obtained.

Disturbed by the school's ruling, a parent who identified herself as Mrs Qiu, expressed her displeasure to Lianhe Wanbao.

The 41-year-old told the Chinese daily she hoped the school would find a better solution with regards to the toilet situation.

She also said that, according to the school rules, students who had obtained the passes must first hang them around their necks before visiting the washroom.

Once the two permits have been issued, the rest would have to wait for their turn.

Rule to prevent students from playing during lesson-time

According to Mrs Qiu, the school was worried that students would use toilet visits as an excuse to get up to mischief when classes are in session.

However, the 'quota' imposed has led to some unpleasant consequences, which was what Mrs Qiu's son experienced.

Mrs Qiu revealed that her son, who is in Primary 1, had experienced a stomach upset late last month.

He wanted to clear his bowels during the day's final lesson, but because all the passes had been used, he decided to wait till his class was over.

However, when class was over, he realised that the school bus was already waiting outside the school gates, so he decided to wait until he reached home.

Unable to bear the pain, he ended up soiling his pants before stepping into his home.

He said: "The teachers will scold you if you went to the toilet without permission, so I didn't dare to tell my teacher that I had a stomachache."

Mrs Qiu said: "I told my son that next time, he should just go to the toilet no matter what, it is better than soiling himself."

What school has to say

The principal of the school in the east defended the ruling when interviewed by the newspaper.

The purpose of the rule is to keep track of the number of students who leave the classroom, said the principal.

She said students who have to visit the toilet urgently, even after the permits have been used up, would be allowed to.

Parents worried about urinary stones

Mrs Qiu also found out that her son was not alone in his experience. Her niece and nephew have similar rules enforced at their school.

Their father, worried that his children would develop urinary stones from withholding nature's call, wanted to make a formal complaint against the school, but never did so.

Mrs Qiu's son said that his Chinese teacher had an alternative method, which was to let the students visit the toilet before class.

He also felt that there should be at least four to five toilet passes per class.

What other parents have to say

Parents interviewed by the Chinese daily were asked for their reactions to the schools' ruling.

Said Ms Lin Hai Yan, who has a child in Primary 3: "Children in lower primary do not have the ability to control the urge to go to the toilet, and should not be restricted.

"However, a 'chain reaction' may be set off when one child needs to go to the toilet, therefore issuing passes may help a teacher to keep track of the students."

To Mrs Chen, whose son is in Primary 3, the usefulness of the toilet pass is limited.

She said: "Children at that age may mistakenly think that only two persons are allowed to go to the toilet for the whole lesson, and they are afraid of asking the teacher for fear of being scolded.

"Teachers should explain the system clearly to students, or if not, just do without the passes."

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I understand from my counsin... who works in prison force... this happen in prison too :biggrin:

SINgapore is a big prison, wonder why one, want to send a kid to school here, nowadys?, I do not remember having this problem of going to toliet when I was in school...

does the following last line from "Hotel California" sounds familar?

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
relax, said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

:eek:...welcome to Hotel SINgapore..you can check out anytime...but YOU CANNOT LEAVE!!!:(

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand from my counsin... who works in prison force... this happen in prison too :biggrin:

this is a very common system practiced in american schools. it helps to keep order in the hallways of school during lesson time.

good practices like these are worth emulating. but the teacher should be flexible enuff to let the kid go if the kid says he's got to take a dump. now.

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
It understandable that prisoners who need to go toilet need to get a pass due to the Mas Selamat's infamous toilet escape. But for primary school children who need a pass to go toilet, they may end up soiling their pants and embarassing themselves. There may be also complications like kidney stones and piles for people who don't go to toilet often.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is a special training to cultivate endurance when one is young. applause to the principal for such innovative approach.