• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unemployed man willing to reduce pay by 80%

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/Office/Story/A1Story20090709-153789.html

Fri, Jul 10, 2009
AsiaOne

20090709.161215_job.jpg

He used to earn a five-figure monthly salary, but no one is willing to hire him now even though he is willing to settle for S$3,000 a month.

Mr Roland Ang, 52, told Shin Min Daily that he used to manage a hedge fund in an investment firm, but lost his job when his company folded last November.

He joined the finance department of a bank after serving national service, and worked his way up from an administrative assistant to department head, but his highest educational qualification stops at secondary school.

He also says that he was headhunted four times in the nineties, and commanded a pay of about $15,000 a month, not including annual bonuses. But he finds it hard, if not impossible to find a job now.

He and his wife have three children aged eight to 16, and they are also taking care of his 90-year-old mother.

Sends out 20-30 applications a month

Mr Roland Ang has been actively seeking employment, and sends out 20 to 30 job applications a month on average. He says he went for two interviews a month but was always unsuccessful.

He thinks that it is his lack of educational qualifications and age that is deterring employers.

"When they see that I have no university degree, they say they will contact me again but they never do. Even when I indicate that I am willing to lower my salary expectations to only S$3,000, which is the starting pay of a fresh grad.

"They say that I have too much experience. I don't understand, why don't companies want to employ an experienced staff who is willing to work for less pay? Isn't that a good thing? So I think that my age is a factor."

HR expert says...

Mr David Ang, Executive Director of the Singapore Human Resources Institute (SHRI) told Shin Min daily that employers should not view age and educational qualifications as critical factors when hiring.

He pointed out that they should give older workers a chance, meet them face to face to find out if their experience and skills are relevant before making a decision.

He also says that he empathises with Mr Ang's plight, but feels that offering to lower his pay does not help as companies generally pay according to the position and whether the applicant is willing to lower his expectations is not a factor in their hiring decision.

He also noted that Mr Ang may not have angled his resume and job applications to suit the requirements of the jobs he applied for.

"Companies receive a lot of job applications, if your resume does not have have any factor that captures the attention of the employer, it will be overlooked, so job seekers should customise each application to the job they are applying for."

He added that older job seekers who have ample experience, should not be discouraged although they may face rejection during the process of looking for a job, because employers who recognise their ability will hire them.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time I used to agree with the gayman that Chee SJ is a nut.
Now, I think he deserved some credit for what he fight for.
Good job Singaporean.
As an ageing man, I begins to feel discriminations against Singaporean.

Is really sad but being a Singaporean I am being discriminated against
in my own country while the gayman welcome anyone with open
arms and increases own salary with no shame.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Posted by: centurion at Fri Jul 10 20:26:43 SGT 2009

Worldclass

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not just 80% pay cut, even for $800, he has to accept it when his savings running dry.

What's more important than to put food on the table?

Talk about Fair Employment, how does this work in Sinkapour??:confused:

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he has a good amount of savings he should start a business or become a trader. You don't need high qualifications (like diploma or degree) to be self employed and you can set you can set your own working hours. No age discrimination either as age is an asset for self employed (except for job like jobs like hawkers where age will slow you down).

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
how did this guy who dont have a uni degree
end up managing hedge funds for pple
even soros has a degree in enconomics

no wonder the hedge fund went kaput

serve him right

Fri, Jul 10, 2009
AsiaOne

20090709.161215_job.jpg

He used to earn a five-figure monthly salary, but no one is willing to hire him now even though he is willing to settle for S$3,000 a month.

Mr Roland Ang, 52, told Shin Min Daily that he used to manage a hedge fund in an investment firm, but lost his job when his company folded last November.

He joined the finance department of a bank after serving national service, and worked his way up from an administrative assistant to department head, but his highest educational qualification stops at secondary school.

He also says that he was headhunted four times in the nineties, and commanded a pay of about $15,000 a month, not including annual bonuses. But he finds it hard, if not impossible to find a job now.

He and his wife have three children aged eight to 16, and they are also taking care of his 90-year-old mother.

Mr Roland Ang has been actively seeking employment, and sends out 20 to 30 job applications a month on average. He says he went for two interviews a month but was always unsuccessful.

He thinks that it is his lack of educational qualifications and age that is deterring employers.

"When they see that I have no university degree, they say they will contact me again but they never do. Even when I indicate that I am willing to lower my salary expectations to only S$3,000, which is the starting pay of a fresh grad.

"They say that I have too much experience. I don't understand, why don't companies want to employ an experienced staff who is willing to work for less pay? Isn't that a good thing? So I think that my age is a factor."

HR expert says...

Mr David Ang, Executive Director of the Singapore Human Resources Institute (SHRI) told Shin Min daily that employers should not view age and educational qualifications as critical factors when hiring.

He pointed out that they should give older workers a chance, meet them face to face to find out if their experience and skills are relevant before making a decision.

He also says that he empathises with Mr Ang's plight, but feels that offering to lower his pay does not help as companies generally pay according to the position and whether the applicant is willing to lower his expectations is not a factor in their hiring decision.

He also noted that Mr Ang may not have angled his resume and job applications to suit the requirements of the jobs he applied for.

"Companies receive a lot of job applications, if your resume does not have have any factor that captures the attention of the employer, it will be overlooked, so job seekers should customise each application to the job they are applying for."

He added that older job seekers who have ample experience, should not be discouraged although they may face rejection during the process of looking for a job, because employers who recognise their ability will hire them.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If he has a good amount of savings he should start a business or become a trader. You don't need high qualifications (like diploma or degree) to be self employed and you can set you can set your own working hours. No age discrimination either as age is an asset for self employed (except for job like jobs like hawkers where age will slow you down).

Everybody will want and become their own boss, if starting a business means money flow in.

Fact is, you are more likely to end up losing money and spiral deep in debt, if you are force into situation where you simply dwell in business, the success rate is next to zero.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
how did this guy who dont have a uni degree
end up managing hedge funds for pple
even soros has a degree in enconomics

no wonder the hedge fund went kaput

serve him right

You are having a box mentality. Other people learn all the time.

There are lots of shinning example where you don't need paper to succeed in a field or become a expert in it.

Can't blame you, too much dose of PAP scholastic toxic.

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are having a box mentality. Other people learn all the time.

There are lots of shinning example where you don't need paper to succeed in a field or become a expert in it.

Can't blame you, too much dose of PAP scholastic toxic.

I have know quite a number of full time traders that don't have a degree. Being a scholar doesn't necessary means you are better in trading in stock or Forex market, look at how much Ho Jinx lost from those overseas bank. Trading needs psychology training and those people with only O Levels can develop a trader mindset as well as those graduates if not better.

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
He had been deceived by the decepticons(PAP). The employers didnt employ him is because there are too many others decepticons(foreigners) in Singapore imported by the decepticons leader the Megatron(LKY).

So even if he works for free, the employers will still not want to hire him. The employers will rather hire a decepticons(foreigners) than an autobots(local Singaporeans).

Fri, Jul 10, 2009
AsiaOne

20090709.161215_job.jpg

HR expert says...

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
He could be more qualified than all the ministers put together, more loyal than all of them put together, work cheaper than all the ministers put together, but he will not even get a job in the ministry. This is political control, ladies and gentlemen. He is considered trash in obscurantist policies implemented in this country.

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
He want 3K salary?
I can be employing 3 FT graduates from India/China for paying that amount.
Better to spending his time here with us at IMH :p

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fri, Jul 10, 2009
AsiaOne

20090709.161215_job.jpg

HR expert says...

This is pure retribution. In the 1990s and early 2000s there were alot of these craps asking for 5 figure pays and no or little qualification. most are in the property and finance and almost all were very arrogant. talking about good times and swiss standard s of living. Hah!!Give me a break. what does a fund manager experience worth ???? It's all self hype and glorification . what experience does he mean??? Experience in losing or cheating other people's money is more like it for most fund managers as in Maddock case and citigp and all the lehman bros @ssholes!!!!:oIo:. somebody should tell him that the very fact his company folded says so much about his abilities as a profitable or talented fund manager
All these highly paid dead wood literally ask for it themselves. They should be asking themselves how come they were so well overpaid in the past for a job any !diot can do. The financial crises and lehman bros scandal just proved my point. shameless crap and still got te guts to complain to press. he should consider himself lucky if he could land a job as a rubbish cleaner nowadays and prove his worth to be more than a Bangla labourer who younger would more productive. sick of all these born losers.

Last edited:

Greentide

i dont believe its a hedge fund. More like those bucket shops in the 90s dabbling in commodities futures. You find all the chao ah bengs with secondary education there. Fits the bill.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
typical shortsighted people. always think everyday sunday, should have alternative plan during haynes days, keep life low profit and maintain resonable life style...

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
typical shortsighted people. always think everyday sunday, should have alternative plan during haynes days, keep life low profit and maintain resonable life style...

When a person starts to spend like a King for a very long time, it is very difficult for him to control it. Unless he is in dead broke or bankrupt, then he got no choice but to control his spending.

If you dont believe, you asked LKY to stop spending money and every day eat very cheaper and see whether can he take it or not?

He will asked you to fuck off, and if he doesnt have enough money, he can always go to the CPF board and withdraw some money out and said this money is for investment in SuZhou.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
CSI'd by torch_bearer on 3in1 Kopitiam here.

About Me

Roland Ang
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BaRsNV4j-Dk/SUt5YhKTumI/AAAAAAAAABA/rgw_RoYTc4Q/S220/Picture+030.jpg

I've spent a large part of my career as a foreign exchange trader (over 20 years) with a few top-tier international banks. I've traded in nearly all Major Currency, European (EMS now known as Euro) and Asian Currency (including NDF). I'm also engaged in a life long pursuit of personal and spiritual growth by actively involved in training and coaching individual towards success and fulfillment in their careers and personal growth. My background in leadership positions had also given me unique insights into the world of work across all levels. I'm a certified behavioral analyst, career coach, counsellor, and mediator. The purpose of my blogs is to educate and to share my personal experience in trading forex relatively "risk free" and in managing one's career,life & spiritual goal. My email address is [email protected].

Favorite Music
Slow Rock Praise & Worship Songs

Favorite Books
The Jerusalem Bible

My Blogs Team Members
Saint Paul Mission Ministry

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
IF he has so much talent why dun he start his own company and put his talents into good use.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IF he has so much talent why dun he start his own company and put his talents into good use.

Salary more than $10K/month if included bonus is over $200K/year. Sure have more than $500K in saving account should just start own company. Unless he use all money to invest in minibond all kaput.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Salary more than $10K/month if included bonus is over $200K/year. Sure have more than $500K in saving account should just start own company. Unless he use all money to invest in minibond all kaput.

well, i do not know about him. the most logical way is to start his own biz or investment. that is more secure than having a job.

When you have job, it is like a time bomb and it is closer to being explode when a person gets older.

Jobs are for young people to learn the ropes about life and then move on to having biz and investments.