• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Titanium is over hype

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It broke off around the screws, but it was the frame that broke & not the scews.

Did it happen to you too :smile:

No, the screw that tightens it gave way (the top part of screw broke off) The optician has to bring back the frames, driiled out the damaged screw, rethread it and put it back. The titanium frame was ok, even after wearing it for a few years.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, the screw that tightens it gave way (the top part of screw broke off) The optician has to bring back the frames, driiled out the damaged screw, rethread it and put it back. The titanium frame was ok, even after wearing it for a few years.

i doubt it will happen to my titanium frame, it is made in japan, very solid, cannot find in singapore.

cost me about 1000 sin dollars with the lens.

http://www.bostonclub.co.jp/catalog/list.php?brand=japonism&genre=HIGH STAGE

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another Rolex thread, this one for glasses? :biggrin:

Anyway I have no need for wear glasses except sunglasses. A RayBan below $200 will do nicely for me, thank you. :cool:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm thinking of invest in one of those ultrasonic cleaning baths. I 've seen them selling for $80. In future I'm going to give my spectacles a daily bath :smile:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My frame is a Matsuda which is made in Japan & with the the lens cost me $600. The frame itself costs about $300+.

If you paid more it is probably the high markup in Japan:rolleyes:

is it titanium too??
matsuda closed down already or not? i cannot find the japanese site.
indeed very cheap. The only matsuda i know is seiko masuda.

yeah you are right. Buying stuff in japan can be very expensive, so when i am there, i never buy anything that i can get in singapore. I look around singapore, i never found that japonism brand in singapore. If you know, tell me, i would like to spend less too.

But japan spectacle shop have different model than rest of the world, there are many model which you cannot find anywhere else in the world, i looked, europe, USA, singapore, south korea, taiwan, all different from japan.

But i think i paid a normal price, because there are price in yen in the japonism site, you can see they are very expensive.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is it titanium too??
matsuda closed down already or not? i cannot find the japanese site.
indeed very cheap. The only matsuda i know is seiko masuda.

yeah you are right. Buying stuff in japan can be very expensive, so when i am there, i never buy anything that i can get in singapore. I look around singapore, i never found that japonism brand in singapore. If you know, tell me, i would like to spend less too.

But japan spectacle shop have different model than rest of the world, there are many model which you cannot find anywhere else in the world, i looked, europe, USA, singapore, south korea, taiwan, all different from japan.

But i think i paid a normal price, because there are price in yen in the japonism site, you can see they are very expensive.

My old pair is a Matsuda made of titanium. However I'm going back to metal frames because titanium hasn't been an advantage. My new pair will also be a Matsuda. You can find Matsuda frames at Isaacs. I've been going to Isaacs for decades for glasses & contacts because they do a good job.

I was shown only frames by Matsuda. Maybe it's because they make the smaller frames which is more appropriate for my high prescription:confused:

I've been thinking of getting a second pair as a spare. I think I'll get them form BKK. Anyone know of a good optician in Bkk:confused:

It's well known that Japanese brands are more expensive in Japan. That's why the Japanese buy them outside Japan:smile:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's well known that Japanese brands are more expensive in Japan. That's why the Japanese buy them outside Japan:smile:

JAPONISM not found in singapore.

In fact, not all japanese shop have japonism, only the big ones, it is a high quality frame for people who appreciate quality.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My frame is a Matsuda which is made in Japan & with the the lens cost me $600. The frame itself costs about $300+.

If you paid more it is probably the high markup in Japan:rolleyes:

I bought a pair of titanium reading glasses in a US Borders store some years ago for about US$30. It's of US FosterGrant branding and packaging, but off-the-shelf stuff and marked made in China. I didn't mind a try though, since I liked the frame design and the case that came with it. Not that I want to use them as reading glasses but I just wanted the frames and the case. I brought it back to Singapore and have it refitted with Transition lenses for about S$200. It has served me well all these years. :smile:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I bought a pair of titanium reading glasses in a US Borders store some years ago for about US$30. It's of US FosterGrant branding and packaging, but off-the-shelf stuff and marked made in China.

30 dollars titanium frame?? never heard of it. is it call titanium but uses aluminium instead. China milk are mostly water, i think their titanium are 0.001% , while the rest other material.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
30 dollars titanium frame?? never heard of it. is it call titanium but uses aluminium instead. China milk are mostly water, i think their titanium are 0.001% , while the rest other material.

I don't usually trust PRC brands, but US brands with manufacturing outsourced to PRC (or elsewhere), the design and quality control is there. FosterGrant is quite a reputable US household brandname for reading glasses. Anyway, it's worked well for me and remained sturdy through these years. Even at Nanyang Optics, where I got the lenses changed, they said it's a good frame and didn't try to persuade me to buy another frame from them.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok sorry to be spoilsport. But at $1,000, you can actually get 20 pairs of frames. Unless u are saying that your titanium frame can outlast 20 frames?

50 dollars frame?? You must be joking right, why in the world would i want to use a 50 sin dollars frame? I piss at 50 dollars cheap crap frame. I never seen a decent frame, minimum standard for less than 250 sin dollars.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about those "frameless" models? Those that have lenses without frames but held together by bridge and handles.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really disappointed with titanium. This material is not very lasting.

Had an Apple titanium notebook that looked awful after a few years of use. The wear & tear took it's toll on the appearance of the titanum body:( Compared to the iBook which has a polycarbonate body, the polycarbonate(plastic) body is more lasting than titanium.

I've also got spectacles frame made of titanium, but just a few days ago while watching TV the frame just broke while I was wearing them:eek: One of the legs just snapped off. The frames were not stressed in any way.

I'm really disappointed with titanium. My new spectacle frame is made of steel, no more titanium anything for me:rolleyes:

ghisallo_sm.jpg

World's number titanium bike, the Litespeed Ghisallo, its frame weighs in at only 1.99 lbs.

The Litespeed Ghisallo titanium bike is the Rolls Royce of road bikes.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
World's number titanium bike, the Litespeed Ghisallo, its frame weighs in at only 1.99 lbs.QUOTE]

I LOVE the looks, OMG 770g for frame, my camera lens alone weight much more than that.
It is amazing. US $6000 oh expensive. when the wind blow, the bike will fly away.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
World's number titanium bike, the Litespeed Ghisallo, its frame weighs in at only 1.99 lbs..

I've been thinking about getting a bicyle for exercise & transport but if you got a nice bicycle will alway have to worry about bicycle thieves.

Just imagaine what an attractive target a 2lb bicycle would be :smile:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good brand titanium frame with transition lens should cost between $600 - $1,000. Anything less is suspect. Note too that frames with spring-loaded joints is best to reduce the irritating twist that often occurs when putting on and taking off the glasses. Anyone who says cheap frames are worth buying are those who are not constantly wearing them.

50 dollars frame?? You must be joking right, why in the world would i want to use a 50 sin dollars frame? I piss at 50 dollars cheap crap frame. I never seen a decent frame, minimum standard for less than 250 sin dollars.