• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Titanium is over hype

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Really disappointed with titanium. This material is not very lasting.

Had an Apple titanium notebook that looked awful after a few years of use. The wear & tear took it's toll on the appearance of the titanum body:( Compared to the iBook which has a polycarbonate body, the polycarbonate(plastic) body is more lasting than titanium.

I've also got spectacles frame made of titanium, but just a few days ago while watching TV the frame just broke while I was wearing them:eek: One of the legs just snapped off. The frames were not stressed in any way.

I'm really disappointed with titanium. My new spectacle frame is made of steel, no more titanium anything for me:rolleyes:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Had an Apple titanium notebook that looked awful after a few years of use. The wear & tear took it's toll on the appearance of the titanum body:( Compared to the iBook which has a polycarbonate body, the polycarbonate(plastic) body is more lasting than titanium.

I've also got spectacles frame made of titanium, but just a few days ago while watching TV the frame just broke while I was wearing them:eek: One of the legs just snapped off. The frames were not stressed in any way.

I'm really disappointed with titanium. My new spectacle frame is made of steel, no more titanium anything for me:rolleyes:

Titanium is too soft.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Titanium!
H aha ha.. u really easy to con.
Coating with titanium. Just like goal/silver..............

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Titanium is too soft.

Soft never mind, but it broke while I was just watching TV :(
Never happened to any of my steel frames.

You have to pay more for titanium frames. If anyone out there is thinking of getting titanium frames, suggest you re-think & save $$$ & get a normal steel frame instead.

If you still decide to get titanium recommend you wash the frames on a regular basis. Sweat might have contributed to metal fatigue.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal

same with titanium mastercard too. Made of plastic but sure made me broken.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your house got ghost or not:confused::biggrin: Maybe getting a medium is the solution:biggrin:

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
YamatoTitaniumGolfBall.jpg

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

although i dont know much about titanium but it cant be that weak.

my titanium bike frame still looks new even after nearly 20 years of abuse.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its got to be titanium alloy. Titanium is not only renown for its strength and its low density but also for corrosion resistance including seawater.

Here is something surprising. Aluminium is weaker than Titanium but Aluminium alloy is however stronger than Titanium alloy using the same partnering metal.

Titanium alloy is used all over the world for marketing purposes. People readily assume it is pure titanium. Watches, spectacles, evening earrings.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my titanium bike frame still looks new even after nearly 20 years of abuse.

I'm using one of those small frames because of my heavy prescription. Smaller frame means smaller lenses which cuts down on the weight.

A frame of this type is more fragile than those full frame types which I used to wear in my younger days when my prescription was less :(

I often wash the lens with soap & water but never considered the frame needed as much care :eek:

A bike frame doesn't come into contact with one's body sweat. While whenever I'm awake I'm wearing my spectacles so there's lots of body contact on a daily basis.

The spectacles lasted about 5 years, when normally I change spectacles. As the frame is damaged I can't use it as a spare pair :rolleyes:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Normally for titanium frame, it is the screws that holds the frame thaty gives ways, due to sweat thus corroding the screws. Could it be due to that?.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Titanium alloy is used all over the world for marketing purposes. People readily assume it is pure titanium. Watches, spectacles, evening earrings.

Your right about the "marketing angle" :smile:

There was no good reason for Apple to use Titanium in it's Powerbook accept for marketing hype. Unfortunately that model looks bad after a few months of normal wear & tear. :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Normally for titanium frame, it is the screws that holds the frame thaty gives ways, due to sweat thus corroding the screws. Could it be due to that?.

It broke off around the screws, but it was the frame that broke & not the scews.

Did it happen to you too :smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The label "Titanium" is misleading. No consumer product uses pure Titanium. All are Titanium alloys and there are almost 40 different grades.

Each grade has different properties and if you buy a titanium product, it's important to ensure that you get the best grade most suited to the intended function.

My personal experience is with the use of Titanium in bicycle frames. The best quality frames use 3Al/2.5V Titanium Alloy and I can vouch for the strength AND durability of frames made from this grade. I have a 15 year old frame that is still going strong.... not a single crack anywhere!

6Al/4V Titanium Alloy is used for the cheaper range of Titanium frames. It is less durable over time.

Both the above grades are twice as strong as pure Titanium.

There is no "one grade fits all" solution. You need to know your stuff or you'll be taken for a ride by fancy "Titanium" labels.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is no "one grade fits all" solution. You need to know your stuff or you'll be taken for a ride by fancy "Titanium" labels.

Been a long time since I rode a bicycle, anyone remember Raleigh :smile:

I thought carbon is the preferred material for bicycles, it's light & strong :confused: Or is it now titanium & carbon combination :confused:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I thought carbon is the preferred material for bicycles, it's light & strong :confused: Or is it now titanium & carbon combination :confused:

Carbon technology didn't take off till around 2003. I bought my Titanium frame way before carbon fiber became mainstream.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The label "Titanium" is misleading. No consumer product uses pure Titanium. All are Titanium alloys and there are almost 40 different grades.

Each grade has different properties and if you buy a titanium product, it's important to ensure that you get the best grade most suited to the intended function.

My personal experience is with the use of Titanium in bicycle frames. The best quality frames use 3Al/2.5V Titanium Alloy and I can vouch for the strength AND durability of frames made from this grade. I have a 15 year old frame that is still going strong.... not a single crack anywhere!

6Al/4V Titanium Alloy is used for the cheaper range of Titanium frames. It is less durable over time.

wow how did you know this?

Google?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
wow how did you know this?
Google?

I did my research before buying my first Titanium bike. The internet was in its infancy at the time [1995] so I bought a whole lot of bike magazines with articles about Titanium frame technology.