• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This is why the death penalty has my full support

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
printLogo.png

New Jersey man completes 30-year murder sentence only to kill mother two days later

By Yanan Wang
9:00 PM Monday Feb 22, 2016
Steven-Pratt_220x141.jpg

"I have failed," Pratt told the judge, his voice barely audible, the Press of AC reported. "I don't want a trial. I'm guilty." Photo / Washington Post

In October of 2014, Steven Pratt was supposed to begin his life anew. He had served out a 30-year prison sentence and gone home to Atlantic City, N.J., where his family held a party to welcome him.

But a violent history would repeat itself all too soon.

Pratt was 15 when he got into an argument with his next-door neighbor, Michael Anderson. Court records show that Anderson was a father figure of sorts to Pratt. On Oct. 11, 1984, he asked Pratt and his friends to vacate a hallway in their apartment building where they were noisily hanging out and smoking marijuana.

Angered by Anderson's request, Pratt retrieved a lead pipe from his apartment and approached Anderson with it in hand. Anderson wrestled the pipe from Pratt's grasp, striking him on the face.

Then Pratt's mother entered the room, and Anderson left.

Hours later, Pratt knocked on the door of Anderson's apartment. When the neighbor appeared, Pratt asked him if he recalled their fight earlier that day, then shot him dead.

Pratt was tried as an adult for the murder, and began serving his sentence at a maximum security prison.

Thirty years later, things should have been different. Pratt was 45 when he got out, and returned to the Atlantic City neighborhood where his 64-year-old mother resided, the Press of Atlantic City reported. It was a quiet part of town, the kind of place where kids carved hearts around their initials in wet cement on the sidewalk.

Neighbors told the Press of AC that Gwendolyn Pratt was "kind and impeccably dressed." She took a 6 a.m. bus to work every day without fail.

No one guessed that she would lose her life less than two days after her son got his freedom.

On the Sunday morning after Pratt's release, police found Gwendolyn dead from blunt injuries to the head. Pratt was charged, and at his initial court appearance, he wept.

"I have failed," Pratt told the judge, his voice barely audible, the Press of AC reported. "I don't want a trial. I'm guilty."
He officially pleaded guilty to manslaughter this week. He is expected to be sentenced to 25 years in prison, according to the Associated Press.

A 2014 Bureau of Justice Statistics report found that about 77 percent of released prisoners were arrested for a new crime within five years. Among convicted murderers, however, the recidivism rate is much lower, especially when it comes to those who commit murder again.

Nancy Mullane, author of the book "Life after Murder," studied the patterns of 988 convicted murderers who were released from California prisons, none of whom were rearrested for murder.

The timing and gruesome repetition of Pratt's crimes make him an anomaly - one that led many to ask whether he had been destroyed by juvenile incarceration or was just inherently murderous.

"If anybody's been in prison 30 years in the adult system, they're no sweethearts," Ronald Gruen, a psychologist who has evaluated juvenile criminals for decades, told the Press of AC. "They're probably a very angry, very paranoid individual. Probably very upset with the world."
By Yanan Wang

- Washington Post

Copyright ©2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to know if the above 2 idiots use guns or knives to kill people.
In that case, we better ban knives and guns.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want the death penalty for all crimes, even petty ones. The death sentence should deter anyone from breaking the law.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want the death penalty for all crimes, even petty ones. The death sentence should deter anyone from breaking the law.

in that case, MRT management shall be hanged for their job negligence and frequent MRT breakdowns.
how about Gan Kim Yong Health Minister

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want to know if the above 2 idiots use guns or knives to kill people.
In that case, we better ban knives and guns.

In all cases of killing committed in the course of a vicious crime which causes death, the culprit should be executed, including those accessories to the killing, unless the killing is an act of self defence.

When a man uses his vehicle intentionally to knock down and kill his victim, is it murder? If not charged for murder, every motorist can use his car as a weapon to commit murder in the name of an accident. So, are we going to ban the use of cars on the road?

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leongsam, your kiniw friends believe in death or second chances?

When a murderer took the life of his victim, did he give his victim a second chance? Where is the justice if the murderer could stay alive while the victim became a dead man?

Those who clamoured for abolition of death penalty should have his loved ones murdered in order to understand why death penalty is needed to eradicate murder and senseless killing.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
printLogo.png

New Jersey man completes 30-year murder sentence only to kill mother two days later

By Yanan Wang
9:00 PM Monday Feb 22, 2016
Steven-Pratt_220x141.jpg

"I have failed," Pratt told the judge, his voice barely audible, the Press of AC reported. "I don't want a trial. I'm guilty." Photo / Washington Post

In October of 2014, Steven Pratt was supposed to begin his life anew. He had served out a 30-year prison sentence and gone home to Atlantic City, N.J., where his family held a party to welcome him.

But a violent history would repeat itself all too soon.

Pratt was 15 when he got into an argument with his next-door neighbor, Michael Anderson. Court records show that Anderson was a father figure of sorts to Pratt. On Oct. 11, 1984, he asked Pratt and his friends to vacate a hallway in their apartment building where they were noisily hanging out and smoking marijuana.

Angered by Anderson's request, Pratt retrieved a lead pipe from his apartment and approached Anderson with it in hand. Anderson wrestled the pipe from Pratt's grasp, striking him on the face.

Then Pratt's mother entered the room, and Anderson left.

Hours later, Pratt knocked on the door of Anderson's apartment. When the neighbor appeared, Pratt asked him if he recalled their fight earlier that day, then shot him dead.

Pratt was tried as an adult for the murder, and began serving his sentence at a maximum security prison.

Thirty years later, things should have been different. Pratt was 45 when he got out, and returned to the Atlantic City neighborhood where his 64-year-old mother resided, the Press of Atlantic City reported. It was a quiet part of town, the kind of place where kids carved hearts around their initials in wet cement on the sidewalk.

Neighbors told the Press of AC that Gwendolyn Pratt was "kind and impeccably dressed." She took a 6 a.m. bus to work every day without fail.

No one guessed that she would lose her life less than two days after her son got his freedom.

On the Sunday morning after Pratt's release, police found Gwendolyn dead from blunt injuries to the head. Pratt was charged, and at his initial court appearance, he wept.

"I have failed," Pratt told the judge, his voice barely audible, the Press of AC reported. "I don't want a trial. I'm guilty."
He officially pleaded guilty to manslaughter this week. He is expected to be sentenced to 25 years in prison, according to the Associated Press.

A 2014 Bureau of Justice Statistics report found that about 77 percent of released prisoners were arrested for a new crime within five years. Among convicted murderers, however, the recidivism rate is much lower, especially when it comes to those who commit murder again.

Nancy Mullane, author of the book "Life after Murder," studied the patterns of 988 convicted murderers who were released from California prisons, none of whom were rearrested for murder.

The timing and gruesome repetition of Pratt's crimes make him an anomaly - one that led many to ask whether he had been destroyed by juvenile incarceration or was just inherently murderous.

"If anybody's been in prison 30 years in the adult system, they're no sweethearts," Ronald Gruen, a psychologist who has evaluated juvenile criminals for decades, told the Press of AC. "They're probably a very angry, very paranoid individual. Probably very upset with the world."
By Yanan Wang

- Washington Post

Copyright ©2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Death penalty critics have never advocated a softer substitute for the death penalty. For the most heinous crimes, life sentence without parole achieves the same objective, without the immorality of state-assisted murder.

Furthermore, the death penalty short-circuits the last of the three aims of criminal sentencing: punitive, deterrent, rehabilitative. The life sentence fulfills all 3 aims, plus allows for unjust convictions to be overturned on the presentation of fresh evidence many years after the crime was committed. The error rate for wrongful executions is as high as 10% in many jurisdictions.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Death penalty critics have never advocated a softer substitute for the death penalty. For the most heinous crimes, life sentence without parole achieves the same objective, without the immorality of state-assisted murder.

Furthermore, the death penalty short-circuits the last of the three aims of criminal sentencing: punitive, deterrent, rehabilitative. The life sentence fulfills all 3 aims, plus allows for unjust convictions to be overturned on the presentation of fresh evidence many years after the crime was committed. The error rate for wrongful executions is as high as 10% in many jurisdictions.

1. A life sentence is a huge waste of resources pouring money at scum who don't deserve a single penny. The death penalty imposes far less a burden on the taxpayer.

2. As for rehabilitation it does not have to take place in this world. The scum can be rehabilitated in the afterlife.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
.... the last of the three aims of criminal sentencing: punitive, deterrent, rehabilitative....

If rehabilitation is really an effective tool to reform rogues, rascals and ruffians, there will not be criminals hanging loose and roaming free with a string of criminal records longer the string of beans... Hang them for serious and vicious crimes and it will make the world a better place for all law abiding people.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Then the problem lies with the judicial process, not the death sentence. The prosecution and judges need to learn how to do their jobs better.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want the death penalty for the same reason why people want to kill.

There is a cause and effect. An eye for an eye .

The death penalty is a strong deterrent. If you want to kill, be prepared you will be killed.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
You all know how to read or not?

The following is a strong argument against death penalty.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People may want to kill for many reasons. You want the death penalty for only one reason. :wink:

The overriding reason for people to kill is me, I and myself. The overriding reason for death penalty is to hell with your me, I and myself thinking. We live in a society where you and I have responsibilities to take care of one another.

jw5

Loyal
So it is actually opposite and not the same reason. :wink:

Death penalty is to punish the person for killing or in a sense, revenge. This is only one of the many reasons why people may want to kill. :wink:

The overriding reason for people to kill is me, I and myself. The overriding reason for death penalty is to hell with your me, I and myself thinking. We live in a society where you and I have responsibilities to take care of one another.