• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Singapore education syllabus: a chimera for the fools

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore education syllabus: a chimera for the fools

I will start off with some definitions of the word “chimera” that I have found from some dictionaries:

“1. a horrible or unreal creature of the imagination; a vain or idle fancy

2. a fanciful mental delusion or fabrication

3. An imaginary monster made up of grotesquely disparate parts”

I often get visitors coming to my blog because they have searched for the key words “Singapore education syllabus” or something similar. From the numbers who did that and have arrived at my blog and also from the newspaper reports, we know many people are interested in the Singapore education system. Many are so interested that they have bothered to look up Google or Yahoo! to find out about the highly acclaimed “Singapore syllabus”.

Quite frankly, I am usually amused by it and usually feel it would have been easier for them if Google or Yahoo! had automatically diverted them to the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) syndicate instead of my blog or some other website. What many of these people don’t know is that in Singapore the examinations is the syllabus! The whole teaching is centered on what will appear in these high stakes examinations jointly conducted by the Singapore Ministry of Education (MOE) and the CIE (Addition: or rather UCLES). Strange but true! One would have expected that an independent syllabus for the schools would have been designed first and then the examinations will be set according to what the syllabus desires to achieve. In Singapore, it has been (as someone I know who was told by her professor recently) that it is actually a “case of the tail wagging the dog”.

Visitors and observers of the “Singapore educational system” have been paying lots of visits to Singapore and websites to find out the secret of Singapore’s successful “educational” system. There’s no secret. All they have to do is teach to the examinations. All the wonderful things that may have been conjured in their minds about the possible reasons for its success are just chimerical, a “delusion”, “fabrication” or a “vain or idle fancy”.

For many who have gone through that system it is also a “monster”. Many have undergone this monstrous system that calls for only “one right answer”, regurgitation of endless meaningless factlets in a high stakes game of Trivial Pursuit, and routine mechanical operations. Is it a coincidence then that the monster (the chimera) is also supposed to have, according to these dictionaries, the head of a lion, the very symbol of the Lion City?

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on the quality of grads we have produced in last 10years, definitely fuck type - no quality, no moral fibre, no fucking use

All can become freelance web designer or property agent or even worse work for sucking-on-govt-aid Citibank

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel without the local education system most of those who have migrated would probably have a harder time, well probably due to the ability to speak at least 2 languages (English and Chinese) at a level where most of us can pass the ielts...though we are taught to regurgitate no less, wouldnt you agree this somehow help to improve memory...the down side is our course we become too afraid to fail in life due to the rigid system (e.g. repeat one full year in school, friends and family look down on you, cannot find job etc)...i believe that creativity can be encouraged but not easily taught, just like life itself, 70% is hard work 30% is luck, without one or the other one wouldnt really be financially free...and also what about instilling of discipline, which we learn in school and army...how bad a system is there are still merits to be found...

I and wife want our son to either be a nurse or a SAF regular since they pay a monthly allowance when they are in poly. After they finish their bond, we will then fund them for their studies. That way I think the kid will lean to appreciate what he really wants to do in life when he is more seasoned and matured..anyway just my thoughts...