• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The PE in Retrospect

jw5

Loyal
let's see how TCH and TT work around the magic, looks rather interesting to me :eek::eek::eek:

the trinity rhapsody have pretty much morphed into the Ho Lee Tan Teo quartet :p:p:p

Hey! Don't forget Thar Man! :biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The upside is that we now know roughly the "core pappy support" in SG

bro,

those who die die also vote for PAP stand around 25% or less. good to note this support group will see a drop in figure once the tree is fell. monkeys will run when the tree falls.

having said that, we need to see how the quality of the symphony produced by the quartet. politics is always dynamic, something i've learnt only very recently :o:o:o

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think Checkers reasoning is right. Chiam's decision to withdraw from the Anson By-Election on the eve was highly regarded and certainly not regarded as flip flop. It showed political acumen and unity. The left base would certainly not gone to TT. He was right about it being split between TKL and TCB but that would have given tine necessary margin to cross the 0.34% divide.

The argument that it is not TJS's duty to help TCB win the election. That is quite a simplistic argument. If Chiam had the same reasoning and entered the Anson fray we certainly not got that historic win. Great men make sacrifices. The average man will always fight for his share of the pie. The average man will also tell you that it is not his job to help his opponents. For the average man, unity is a motherhood word. They will not have the ability to see even when it's hits them in the face.

Checkers analysis does help in one significant way - it provides a crutch for those who cannot accept their part in this fiasco. We stuffed up but we can't seem to get over it. So close and yet so far. 30 years ago we got our act together, yesterday was a minor aberration. The journey continues.

Thanks for sharing your views. As you can appreciate, the cogency of Checker's analysis is not my responsibility. Neither would I presume to second-guess TJS' intentions or calculations. However, politicians are no saints and any putative "sacrifice" can invariably be viewed as strategic and the underlying motivation is unlikely to be altruistic.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
k...while u r at it...can u pls write something abt that ST hag chua lee hoong...bloody ST hag lee hoong made me puke for the umpteenth time when i read her condescending patronising spin drivel abt tt being the most suitable ep in today's ST...
Can you please let me have some fun before Sunday ends. Tomorrow I will be writing about why TKL caused TT to be elected. Next week will be devoted to why spoiling the vote led to TT ascendency. The week after is a bit of a mystery as no more scapegoat to slaughter.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cruel bro. I was pretending that these two sluts had died and joined Osama.
k...while u r at it...can u pls write something abt that ST hag chua lee hoong...bloody ST hag lee hoong made me puke for the umpteenth time when i read her condescending patronising spin drivel abt tt being the most suitable ep in today's ST...

jw5

Loyal
bro,

those who die die also vote for PAP stand around 25% or less. good to note this support group will see a drop in figure once the tree is fell. monkeys will run when the tree falls.

having said that, we need to see how the quality of the symphony produced by the quartet. politics is always dynamic, something i've learnt only very recently :o:o:o

Sometimes, the tree will fall on the monkeys............... :biggrin:

Once the tree falls, the symphony could be abe produced by a quintet, or even a full orchestra, it will then be interesting to see who is the conductor and the first violin and who are simply blowing the trumpets and horns. :p

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least 64.81% voters didnt vote for TT !

It is the most ironic! If you go out to the street, everywhere looked quite, which was unlike what we would see after election- the jubilation, talks and joy. Simply because the winner did not win the hearts of the people but a seat in Istana. It is one of Singapore's bleakest day. This is worst than Nathan's ascension to the throne when there were no false hopes since it was walkover. Darn moody today...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree bro. Not on you personally.Appreciate your contributions and please continue to contribute. We need a lot more views, varied, and anything to deliver a decent democracy.
Thanks for sharing your views. As you can appreciate, the cogency of Checker's analysis is not my responsibility. Neither would I presume to second-guess TJS' intentions or calculations. However, politicians are no saints and any putative "sacrifice" can invariably be viewed as strategic and the underlying motivation is unlikely to be altruistic.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear PT, Scroo

I cannot for the life of me figure out what TJS had for a campaign plan or that he even had a plan to begin with. Granted I was willing to consider tjs as president from day one but over the nine days, he made no attempt to cross the political divide and was very intent on just appealing to the 25 per cent he eventually got, which btw was less than his GE effort prior.

TJS results were no surprise to everyone accept him. His road to victory involved picking up 35 percent of the 40 who voted nationally for all the opposition. HIs SDP inspired campaigning left him with SDP results. His supporters SDP rypes at the counting centre were mentioning the possibility of him joining politics or the SDP again. For everyone's sake I hope not.

What is the point of campaigning for results which anyone even GMS could have predicted ? The lessons are clear from the PE n GE. The centre is where wins are achieved , the pap coalition is fracturing , their vote base is no longer rock solid and can be wooed. However the TJS style does not hack it in a GE PE or any E except and SDP internal election.

retail politics, centrist appeal are the key take sways but If the SDP continues to elect Vincent Cheng to high positions it will be condemned to being the 25% party

Locke

Can you please let me have some fun before Sunday ends. Tomorrow I will be writing about why TKL caused TT to be elected. Next week will be devoted to why spoiling the vote led to TT ascendency. The week after is a bit of a mystery as no more scapegoat to slaughter.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if it was my imagination, but TT seemed frustrated and he was rude to May Wong on 2 occasions.

Not your imagination. My niece in poly who knew nothing about politics noticed that too. It is sometimes simple gestures that reveal a person's character.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's is the reason why he wanted to have 3 months campaign on hindsight. He felt that he only tapped that vein and it was obvious that he was tapping that vein only. He went for broke. It will be interesting to see if he would have appeal amongst the middle ground. People were sort of pissed off by TCB's rather laid back style of campaigning.I am more interested who was behind him. Even at the last moment, he was not keen to run. On SDP, I am wondering if there is going to a change of strategy for next GE. It's obvious that TJS and his team will leave SDP.
Dear PT, Scroo I cannot for the life of me figure out what TJS had for a campaign plan or that he even had a plan to begin with. Granted I was willing to consider tjs as president from day one but over the nine days, he made no attempt to cross the political divide and was very intent on just appealing to the 25 per cent he eventually got, which btw was less than his GE effort prior. TJS results were no surprise to everyone accept him. His road to victory involved picking up 35 percent of the 40 who voted nationally for all the opposition. HIs SDP inspired campaigning left him with SDP results. His supporters SDP rypes at the counting centre were mentioning the possibility of him joining politics or the SDP again. For everyone's sake I hope not. What is the point of campaigning for results which anyone even GMS could have predicted ? The lessons are clear from the PE n GE. The centre is where wins are achieved , the pap coalition is fracturing , their vote base is no longer rock solid and can be wooed. However the TJS style does not hack it in a GE PE or any E except and SDP internal election. retail politics, centrist appeal are the key take sways but If the SDP continues to elect Vincent Cheng to high positions it will be condemned to being the 25% partyLocke

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....again another super idol thread......
oh no.....more BS cumming.

Can't disagree with you. A bunch of people who pretends to know it all but if you track their record, their predictions on the GE was so wrong that it is laughable. Now they are performing their post mortem again for your entertainment.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
NSP itself looks split like hell. I agree SDP is smart like hell to play silly NSP girls upfront. None of SDP high profiles came out to say anything but it's clear SDP is behind the logistics to guarantee minimum 20%. TKL was the political fool of all. Sure to lose deposit if SDP choped 20% for TJS and PAP choped 60% between TT and TCB. The balance 20% split four ways, how to not lose deposit. PAP is clear winner as far as PE concerned. I already said both TT and TCB are PAP, with TCB playing reserve and alternative just in case. But wider politics beyond PE, WP won bigtime. The silent message is very loud and clear. President can't check and balance government. Only opposition can. Only opposition viable is WP.

You are truly mistaken.

SDP main candidates like Vincent and Dr Ang have spoken on TJS rally. SDP member Bryan Lim spoke for TKL.

TJS has no chance of winning even if TKL didn't contest because he can only get the hardcore opposition votes only and this cannot beat Tony Tan. It is really wishful thinking that he could make it. TKL's supporters are mainly family members of minibond saga and those who truly believe in independence and non-partisan.

WP members and activists did help out TCB campaign as well. Of course, none of the WP candidates spoke on his stage.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you ever consider that in their operating model, Vincent Cheng is a very valuable asset. He will instantly appeal to foreign NGOs and all those bleeding hearts.

There is also the fact they TJS and crowd were essentially guests when one other party did not agree in they joining in. I am sure that both sides would be cautious and to keep their options open.

If the SDP continues to elect Vincent Cheng to high positions it will be condemned to being the 25% party

Locke

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is that NSP members were more prominent across the board. Nicole's goodwill would have amounted to something. Vincent, Ang were GRC team mates and a level of reciprocity is expected and understood by many.

You are truly mistaken.

SDP main candidates like Vincent and Dr Ang have spoken on TJS rally. SDP member Bryan Lim spoke for TKL.

TJS has no chance of winning even if TKL didn't contest because he can only get the hardcore opposition votes only and this cannot beat Tony Tan. It is really wishful thinking that he could make it. TKL's supporters are mainly family members of minibond saga and those who truly believe in independence and non-partisan.

WP members and activists did help out TCB campaign as well. Of course, none of the WP candidates spoke on his stage.

Goh Meng Seng