• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Statement that Kept PAP in Power for 50 years

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we become corrupt, inefficient and can't deliver, we're out,'

The above statement and variations of it has been used by old man over so many decades and over so many elections that it should take find pride of place on old man's tombstone.

Of course history will reveal the penchant for gerrymandering, tampering recognised and acceptable democratic election processes including introduction of high nominations fees (highest in the world), racial qualifications, group representations taking over single wards, libel suits and threat of tax audits to keep him and his party in power.

Only in one country can the PM, the head and chairman respectively of countries only 2 sovereign funds and at one time the of the highest capitalised entity on country's stock market come from the same immediate family and yet can make the same statement over and over again.

The statement made another appearence last night at the 5th Anniversary of LKY School of Public Policy. Felt like flinging the wine glasss when I heard it.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
How the alternative parties can confront such a statement -

1) Ask that all ministers and top civil servants to declare their assets. All FIRST WORLD democracies require such a decree. Are the pappies afraid of this? Why the reluctance?

Don't need $3million dollar salaries to prevent corruption. If someone is paid $3million than that means that person needs more to be bribed. It doesn't magically make the person immune to being bribed.

If someone is prone to being bribed then that person is prone to being bribed regardless of their salary. Have a throughly independent CPIB that is not affiliated to the other parts of government.

2) Provide a list of PAP ministers and civil servants that have been caught for corruption. The pappies are not saints and their statements that they hire the best is not fully 100% true.

3) Where are all the ex-ministers? What were they doing before joining the PAP and what are they doing now? This will give a good indication of the true quality of these ministers.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

1) Ask that all ministers and top civil servants to declare their assets. All FIRST WORLD democracies require such a decree. Are the pappies afraid of this? Why the reluctance?

Don't need $3million dollar salaries to prevent corruption. If someone is paid $3million than that means that person needs more to be bribed. It doesn't magically make the person immune to being bribed.

If someone is prone to being bribed then that person is prone to being bribed regardless of their salary. Have a throughly independent CPIB that is not affiliated to the other parts of government.

2) Provide a list of PAP ministers and civil servants that have been caught for corruption. The pappies are not saints and their statements that they hire the best is not fully 100% true.

3) Where are all the ex-ministers? What were they doing before joining the PAP and what are they doing now? This will give a good indication of the true quality of these ministers.

to summarise, it's Hakka's Leegalized corruption!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harry just loves to play political games...first he threatens us with "tanks and the army"...then he apparently invokes the race divide and conquer card in parliament...and now he makes a U turn on the "tanks and army" threat with this load of crap...i mean does he actually think he can fool us all of the time?:rolleyes:

"...we maintain a system which gives any opposition the opportunity to displace us peacefully. We allow the system: we've not inteferred with the civil service, the judiciary, parliamentary proceedings, the police and so on. If you can win an election, so be it....One of the first lessons I learnt in politics was from Harold Laski. He said if you don't have a system that allows fundamental change by consent, you will have a revolution by violence. If we block all possibilities, we must expect violence. In that violence, eventually the army won't shoot because you are in the wrong..."

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from his speech, he is afraid of ho ching son, cannot keep sinkies in line.

maybe ho ching son is like ah dou of lui bei son.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let's do a recap and match things as they are now.

1) Corrupt ...marginally since it is all done legally

2) Inefficient...Mas Selamat, porous customs checks etc. Pretty much there.

3) Deliver...Grey area. My take is they still delivering but not so good these days.

2 strikes out of 3. But with the GRC in place and dilution of alternative votes they have really gotten from bad to worse.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
GCT introduced an assets register but it serves little purpose. Many western Govts require the rulling government to place their assets in a blind trust to prevent family and relatives getting patronage. Nothing of that sort. The Only control that PAP has is to repeatedly shout that they will not tolerate corruption yet they offered a Cabinet Minister the post of High Commissioner London but he refused so they charged Wee Toon Boon. The other chap killed himself and noted architect Tay Keng Soon, former husband of establishment figure categorically stated that for years it was well known in the property industry that he was on the take. And who was the matriach of the Property industry for 4 decades. That position is now filled by a her niece.

So remember as along as you shout regularly that you are clean, you will be ok.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will tell you a story. A former Commisioner of Land on being told by his PA that old man's wife was on the line - will take off at lightning speed to avoid taking that call. The whole Dept was knew about it. Why you think that was the case. I am sure nothing sexual or romantic.

Let's do a recap and match things as they are now.

1) Corrupt ...marginally since it is all done legally

2) Inefficient...Mas Selamat, porous customs checks etc. Pretty much there.

3) Deliver...Grey area. My take is they still delivering but not so good these days.

2 strikes out of 3. But with the GRC in place and dilution of alternative votes they have really gotten from bad to worse.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hahaha, I think your suggestions can never come true. As long as they are in power. Although I have to agree with your points.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

The statement made another appearence last night at the 5th Anniversary of LKY School of Public Policy. Felt like flinging the wine glasss when I heard it.

you could have just walked out in disgust when he said that, instead you sat there quietly and took it up the backside.

be a man...

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is just like you and me,
talk BIG but no action,
a typical S'porean.:rolleyes:

i'm not like you and him, i've never talked big. :cool:

i vote oppo.

i campaign actively against incumbents.

i write letters to my PAP MP and fuck him for his lousy performance in parliament.

i scold ugly singaporeans when i see them.

i curse ang mohs and FTs when they act big in front of me.

but i always try to help others when they are in need. if screwball had a heart attack, i will give him CPR first. then later spit at him.

peace.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

The above statement and variations of it has been used by old man over so many decades and over so many elections that it should take find pride of place on old man's tombstone.

Of course history will reveal the penchant for gerrymandering, tampering recognised and acceptable democratic election processes including introduction of high nominations fees (highest in the world), racial qualifications, group representations taking over single wards, libel suits and threat of tax audits to keep him and his party in power.

Only in one country can the PM, the head and chairman respectively of countries only 2 sovereign funds and at one time the of the highest capitalised entity on country's stock market come from the same immediate family and yet can make the same statement over and over again.

Dear Scroobal
Your points are weak. To the general populace, educated and otherwise, gerrymandearing means nothing. The familee being richly rewarded for their positions in civil and government related posts only means that the familee is actually the best there is and we should be grateful for their work.

One must debunk the widespread notion that the pappies are really caring for Singaporeans. Once the intention and acts of the pappies are questioned, then things may change to sway the general populace.

You're like shooting a machinegun and missing the mark. Take aim at one individual and shoot to 'kill' untul the general populace becomes disenchanted with this individual.

Ho Jinx is a prime target and should be set aside for a large amount of work.

Her track record and dubious employment at Temasek is something the people can easily understand.

With all the investments that Temasek makes, how is the money there going to be used to help Singaporeans in times of hardship? Most of their investments will be difficult to be made liquid in times of economic troubles. And even if they are converted to cash their value would have been reduced drastically.

In short, Ho Jinx doesn't deserve to be there. Secondly, the country's reserves even though under Temasek, has been taken out of the hands of Singaporeans. The reserves no longer serve the people but an entity that although is part of the government is actually acting as a private investor.

Also, the performance of GIC has not been scutinised during the recent economic turmoil. Why the silence? Wong Kan Seng is Vice-Chairman of GIC - I'm sure the people will love this trivia involving WKS.

As for the incorruptibility of the Pappies, just give a few examples of REAL corruption and give one or two examples of leegalised corruption - HDB conveyancing fees to Lee and Lee and how ex-MPs are rewarded with directorships in GLCs and how others are laid to waste in the private sector because it is quite obvious that they don't have the mettle to perform.

Keep things simple and short so that the general populace is able to absorb and understand and then react accordingly.

The next GE will have the pappies in their weakest position ever since indepence.

The alternative parties has to consolidate and to learn who to talk to and how to talk to these people who will vote in the next GE.

Civil servants, retirees, marginalised Singaporeans, educated Singaporeans (who want a more transparent government), middle-income Singaporeans with young children.

All these people can be easily swayed if spoken to in the right manner. The alternative parties have to quickly make themselves trustworthy in the eyes of these groups of people.

I said before, the FTs will continue to come in droves and they will leave in droves after 10-20 years. In between there will always be a constant stream of in-coming and out-going FTs. The result is a larger pool of marginalised Singaporeans who will have problems looking for a job and even owning a home or continue to be able to pay for their home.

The FT phenomenon is one to stay for as long as the PAP stays in power. Singaporeans must know the implications for themselves and their children. FTs=PAP.

Every country needs FTs but the sheer numbers in Singaporea and the fact that they can purchase HDB flats and ask for lower salaries means that a very large number of Singaporeans will suffer due to the pappies various FT programmes.

jacobsgoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harry just loves to play political games...first he threatens us with "tanks and the army"...then he apparently invokes the race divide and conquer card in parliament...and now he makes a U turn on the "tanks and army" threat with this load of crap...i mean does he actually think he can fool us all of the time?:rolleyes:

We must admit that the cute guy is smart in that he knows Leeaporeans are scared of their own shadows, like worried that vote slips are marked etc... he just played with our fear factor together with HDB control[about 90% housing] and kangaroo legal system; these and others is like dealing him a Royal flush in any politicial game.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I know where you are coming from and you are right. Singaporeans are generally not familiar with the techicals of good government and good governance let along taking cognizance of glaring abuse of the democratic process. Its still riles me that Singapore don't wonder why Marine Parade Council office can be found in the heart of Hougang.

I note that you prefer to work on this where it hits the pocket, reduces the quality of life, puts citizens in a lesser position than foreigners, abuse of state funds, loss of purpose with CPF etc.

I would like explain why I prefer to target the technicals and instruments related to a democratic process. I do this with the hope that the intelligentsia do pick it up and they are usually in the capacity to influence and make changes. It will be long but necessary.

The second reason is also because there are many others including TOC that covers the material and quality of life impact on singaporeans. No need for me to write somehting on CPF etc when there are many others doing a good job.

For instance, till to day, not a single soul has written about PA and its control of grassroots organisations. I get PMs expressing shock and surprise when I touch on these. No one has touched on National Brainwashing Centre at South Buona Vista Road.

Dear Scroobal
Your points are weak. To the general populace, educated and otherwise, gerrymandearing means nothing. The familee being richly rewarded for their positions in civil and government related posts only means that the familee is actually the best there is and we should be grateful for their work.

One must debunk the widespread notion that the pappies are really caring for Singaporeans. Once the intention and acts of the pappies are questioned, then things may change to sway the general populace.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like explain why I prefer to target the technicals and instruments related to a democratic process. I do this with the hope that the intelligentsia do pick it up and they are usually in the capacity to influence and make changes. It will be long but necessary.

think you spent too long in the system, that's just elitist thinking. the "intelligentsia" have been co-opted into the system. they are so "elite" they are cut off from the common man, who form a much larger voting block than this "intellgentsia"

why do you think the PAP emphasizes so much on grassroots work? they know where the votes come from. do you?