• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singles to be allowed to buy new HDB flats this year

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singles can buy new HDB flats
Singles will be allowed to buy new Housing Board flats for the first time.

The Straits Times - January 1, 2013

By: Daryl Chin, Rachel Chang, Maria Almenoar, Royston Sim, Irene Tham, Janice Heng and Ng Kai Ling

What: Singles will be allowed to buy new Housing Board flats for the first time.

When: It is likely to happen in the first half of the year.

Why it matters: In last year's National Day Rally, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong promised to address the problem of limited housing options for single Singaporeans.

Currently, they are allowed to buy only a resale flat - and only if they are older than 35.

While those earning $5,000 or less are eligible for a cash grant of $15,000 and a loan from the HDB, the rise in resale prices in the past few years has put a flat out of reach for many singles.

New flats from the HDB can be up to 40 per cent cheaper than resale flats in the same area.

But National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said last September that some restrictions would still apply to singles buying new flats because the HDB's priority is to meet the needs of couples and families.

For example, they will likely be eligible to buy only smaller flats. To prevent profiteering, it is likely that they will not be allowed to sub-let their flats, even after a minimum occupation period.

Still, Singaporean singles are awaiting the change with bated breath. IT engineer David Tan, 36, lives with his parents in Toa Payoh because he cannot afford private property on his own or the cash-over-valuation payment that resale flats command.

"A flat from the HDB would be subsidised and brand new. I understand that the Government has to be family-oriented, but singles are also Singaporeans and should be entitled to some benefits."

http://www.stproperty.sg/articles-property/singapore-property-news/singles-can-buy-new-hdb-flats/a/99937?utm_source=STCars&utm_medium=Footer&utm_content=Articles&utm_campaign=Cars

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So will the cooling measures on properties worked? I think prices will instead be heading North once again as soon as this is implemented.:eek:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those singles who buy a pigeonhole now are doomed. Better move overseas. Stuck in a extra small pigeonhole one can expect not to have a family.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
like that...........how much is one of the smallest flat ah ?

is it 1-rm or 2-rm ?

anyone know how much ?

can i use solely my CPF to pay off the entire amount ?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For fuck, it is not freehold and so many fucking rules. Go Malaysia and buy lah, freehold and much bigger. Stupid sinkies.

Last edited:

YellowRibbon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow just nice timing. Just sold my flat and thought i can only buy one resale next year.

So now can buy new hdb flat, make it easier. But is it still restricted to over 35yrs old ?

New flats mean already available ones or BTO ???

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They worried the housing market crashes. You see some haolian thinking that if live with parents no need pay pension. If parents die, then weath kenna eaten up by inheritance transfer. Downside is people do not buy new ones. Also, if cannot rent out because of bad economy value of the HDB drops like a rock.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Am sure this wiLL Lead hordes of Gays/Lesbians Q'ing to buy their HBD fLats for parties & orgies..:eek::smile:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
since married couples complain high price or maybe less of them as buyers........PAP let singles buy lor..........since price now so high..........can make money from singles mah........

melissamarietan

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey..that's a great news!! I hope the time comes soon when we singles are allowed to buy an hdb flat in Singapore coz when the time comes I would want to be amongst the first ones to take the advantage of this. :wink:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think is a good deal, every body must be allowed to buy a hole in the cement block.

Why discriminate? At least something good from the pappys.

but whats the catch :rolleyes: