• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans in Aus?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always suspect the Westpac CEO is a male underneath his/her skirts.
Anyway, she belongs to the boy's club now.
It is the old-money old old boy's club that do not like asians, but they must be hating themselves playing second fiddles to China mainlanders.

B] Of course, Without China and the resource boom, Australia will be as backward as it used be [/B]

Old white female managers and their trashy office ladies and some young dumb blondes can be quite racists. But we cannot help if their men left them for exotic tanned or untanned asian ladies.

i have not experienced this in the workplace yet

The ABCs are totally spoilt by Singaporeans who are in awe of their cross-cultural "Superiority"
Kylie Kwang , the typical ABC celebrity chef is a good example.

When MediaCock produced her "My China" cooking series. It is obvious that she is a classical case of "pian jiak" who has no in-depth knowledge of chinese cooking. Her style of cooking can only win over a English-salad mother-in-law.

Some ABCs are really clowns. Again, using Kylie as an example.
She wore a very unflattering butch outfit, with thick black-rimmed glasses, a dowdy hairstyle and the god-awful ABCAussie accent.

Interestingly I passed by Billy Kwong weeks ago which is her bread and butter restaurant, 90% are ang mos. That shows her food is all hype and cater taste to the westerners only.

The latest ABC fashion these days are thick tibetan prayer beads which they wears around their neck and stretch all the way to their unflattering tummies.

I never mingle with the ABCs, they see me as a threat or different. However, I get along with the native Aussies, some Pommies or other westerners . In fact, I find their friendship are more geniune than some Asians. They help me as my referees.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't understand why you get so worked up about ABC this ABC that.

After all, you are already in Australia, why the need to continue carrying your "Sinkaporean inferiority complex" baggage?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

After all, you are already in Australia, why the need to continue carrying your "Sinkaporean inferiority complex" baggage?

You have a point there. I've met many ABCs here, they are nice decent people. It depends on their "background" I find that if they are send to prestigious schools they are usually snobs, but then again so are the ang moh kids that goes there as well. It depends on how they are "raised" I supposed.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have a point there. I've met many ABCs here, they are nice decent people. It depends on their "background" I find that if they are send to prestigious schools they are usually snobs, but then again so are the ang moh kids that goes there as well. It depends on how they are "raised" I supposed.

i agree as well...these obc are quite cocky they see overseas born people as fobs esp those who cant speak english according to the four standards (usa, uk, can, aus)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am not worked up over the ABCs.

I just blame my luck that I am borned in Singapore. :biggrin:

Gone through 2.5 years of NS sleeping with M16 while my then girlfriend shag another man during my absence.

I should be in Australia - have fun at schoolie week, see the world in my gap year and find a sweet girlfriend teaching English in Japan and use my working holidays visa to learn skiing at Whistler/Big White in BC, Canada.

There are many ABC imitators among the Malaysian uni. international students but my ear wax melt every time I hear them speak. Makes me splutter in Cockney English ascent - picked up from East London.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gone through 2.5 years of NS sleeping with M16 while my then girlfriend shag another man during my absence.

There are many ABC imitators among the Malaysian uni. international students but my ear wax melt every time I hear them speak. Makes me splutter in Cockney English ascent - picked up from East London.

haha i concur as well...if speak english with a british accent or american accent..you automatic be an upper class in aus...

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There are so many people to know in Oz, ABCs are but <1% of the entire population.

I shows how one still yearns to associate themselves with community along the lines of race. So after all that big talk, flashing your "credentials" on how well traveled you are (Travel to UK, US etc), you feel small whenever you are reminded of your "Chineseness" (ABCs that don't sound like you).

I don't give a shit about all this. I just love the country, the people and take the good along with the bad.

As for howlian ABCs, I haven't come across one. Not that I even bothered looking anyway.

Then again, I am from ACS...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I should be in Australia - have fun at schoolie week, see the world in my gap year and find a sweet girlfriend teaching English in Japan and use my working holidays visa to learn skiing at Whistler/Big White in BC, Canada.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I was right smack in the middle of it. Overnight, there were suddenly shoe inspections, wallet inspections, bag inspections.

Still remember that primary school kids could carry no more than $1, $3 for secondary and $5 for this in JC. Tennis shoes were banned, expensive watches (digital watches back then considered expensive:rolleyes:), even Walkmans(when they came out later) found in schoolbags were banned.

I remember the "anti-snobbery campaign" where we were asked to make dumb posters on anti-snobbery, Prefects were like Gestapo and your friends could be a snitch and worst enemy.

For a while, it was stupid, even government school kids had liberties like these that we didn't and still behaved like louts and jackasses.

Was only later when we saw RI boys doing ALL that they accused us of doing that the rules slowly faded into the background.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Are you before or after snobbery campaign era?

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australia and Singapore are two very different countries, each with their own pros and cons. Lets not act like Australia is "heaven" because both countries are comparable, it just depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

Aus vis a vis Singapore.

Pros of Aus: more land, minimum wage, more liberties.

Cons of Aus : technologically a lot more backwards (internet sucks and is capped), less efficient (shops close at 5, things take weeks to fix), less convenient in terms of amentities, less cosmopolitan feeling, Armed forces is pathetic, only 50,000 strong compared to sg's 100,000 reguars alone.

By the way, now Singapore's population is 42% foreigner. You can go out the whole day and not interact with a single Singaporean.

Went to the coffeeshop, served by Malaysians who spoke Chinese to me first thing. When I replied in English, they replied in halting broken English that is frankly not even at Singapore P1 level.

Went to shopping centre to buy a pair of pants, served by PRC Chinese who spoke to me in Chinese first thing. When I replied in English, she spoke to me in very broken pidgin English.

Then go eat KFC. Manned by Philippino. Take bus go home, buy some bubble tea. Bubble tea store is manned by PRC, this one can't speak a single word of English and scowled at me when I replied in English.

Finally, go neighbourhood supermarket to buy some groceries. Cashiers are all Malaysian and PRC. Once again, all speak Chinese to me first thing. I replied in English and got weird looks from them.

These workers are mostly transient, they will be back home after making their money in Singapore. I respect them but can't they at least speak English in Singapore? Shouldn't the govt mandate that all workers must speak English before coming in? After all this is Singapore not China or Malaysia.

After being educated in English all my life and coming from an English speaking perankan family, I find it hard to fit into Singapore these days.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
I though A level student all howlian 1? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Met a couple of A level grads from RJC during my foundation courses, they all are snobby in my regards.

The snobby ones tend to be the ones who get lousier grades. If they were any good academically they wouldn't be in Australia :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The snobby ones tend to be the ones who get lousier grades. If they were any good academically they wouldn't be in Australia :biggrin:

Bah, more like the snobby 1s have the money to go overseas. Only the losers gets to stay in Singapore. How many ministars have a local degree again ?

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bah, more like the snobby 1s have the money to go overseas. Only the losers gets to stay in Singapore. How many ministars have a local degree again ?

No la, I'm not talking about those NUS people. The ones with the smarts go US on scholarship, Aussie ones are those with money and no smarts ^_^

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
No la, I'm not talking about those NUS people. The ones with the smarts go US on scholarship, Aussie ones are those with money and no smarts ^_^

Smart academically doesn't not equate to smart in life. How many of these smart Sporeans on scholarship to top US universities make it big as entreprenuer or academic? Has any Sporeans won any nobel prize - not that I know. There are quite a few smart Aussies/ABCs got Rhodes scholarship to Oxbridge and Ivy League for their postgraduate studies, of course they are not Sporeans.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
These workers are mostly transient, they will be back home after making their money in Singapore. I respect them but can't they at least speak English in Singapore? Shouldn't the govt mandate that all workers must speak English before coming in? After all this is Singapore not China or Malaysia.

After being educated in English all my life and coming from an English speaking perankan family, I find it hard to fit into Singapore these days.

I was in Lunar (Clarke Quay) the other day.. Wow ! it was a Chinese pub..with Taiwanese band.. Beyond and JJ Lin songs were played..

Dude, we have to accept the reality now, SG and Australia are overwhelmed by the China-nese.. love it or hate it.. as for me, I'll embrace it