• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans in Aus?

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do not need IT. An MBBS or Nursing will open visa doors. Lots of doctors and nurses are working overseas, from Santiago to UK to Dubai to Australia.

Too bad Singaporeans do not enjoy working holidays visa. Young Aussies are teaching English in Korea/Japan and having local girlfriends.

I think we worry too much about this or that.

Not to forget the Canadian too - Train my 3 boys to represent the country. hahaha

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
gosh got to do an interview for citizenship??? tot only apply, take test and sing song only

Nope, the test and interview is part of the process. After approval then you wait for them to tell you when to sing song. By the way I got 20/20 on the test as well, wonder if that helped in the process. :biggrin:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, the test and interview is part of the process. After approval then you wait for them to tell you when to sing song. By the way I got 20/20 on the test as well, wonder if that helped in the process. :biggrin:

gosh...how long the whole waiting process takes?? was told its was about 9 mths

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
gosh...how long the whole waiting process takes?? was told its was about 9 mths

Approval letter for me arrive in about a month, sing-song can take up to 6months from the letter. The sing song is dependent on the local council that you state as your address in the application. More migrants taking up citizenship in your local council, the faster you can go sing song. I heard that means usually means 4-5 months if you are lucky. They wait till about 500+ for the ceremony hence the unknown factor.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Singaporean get working holiday visa more FThrash will become citizen and come over here! you want that? For that matter, America don't have a work holiday visa with Australia as well for similar reason that we have a minimum wage here and the Yanks will start invading us for that.

And so, we are spared the Singaporean syndrome.

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do not need IT. An MBBS or Nursing will open visa doors. Lots of doctors and nurses are working overseas, from Santiago to UK to Dubai to Australia.

Too bad Singaporeans do not enjoy working holidays visa. Young Aussies are teaching English in Korea/Japan and having local girlfriends.

I think we worry too much about this or that.

MBBS or registered nurse or miillionaire or surnamed gates ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
gosh got to do an interview for citizenship??? tot only apply, take test and sing song only

Piece o cake. Nothing much. My wife attanded a couple of weeks back and she's just got a letter approving her as a citizen.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Singaporean get working holiday visa more FThrash will become citizen and come over here! you want that? For that matter, America don't have a work holiday visa with Australia as well for similar reason that we have a minimum wage here and the Yanks will start invading us for that.

I thought the yanks have working holiday visa with Oz land? Only ting is that tax is still payable in Yankee land on their earnings overseas so most of them find working overseas not worth it.

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans in Australia, have you experienced any serious racism?

Median income
At the time of the 2006 Census, the median individual weekly income for the Singapore-born in Australia aged 15 years and over was $482, compared with $431 for all overseas-born and $488 for all Australia-born. The total Australian population had a median individual weekly income of $466.

Employment
Among Singapore-born people aged 15 years and over, the participation rate in the labour force was 63.4 per cent and the unemployment rate was 6.4 per cent. The corresponding rates in the total Australian population were 64.6 and 5.2 per cent respectively.

Of the 20 850 Singapore-born who were employed, 43.7 per cent were employed in a Skill Level 1 occupation, 11.9 per cent in Skill Level 2 and 9.2 per cent in Skill Level 3. The corresponding rates in the total Australian population were 28.7, 10.7 and 15.1 per cent respectively.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/comm-summ/textversion/singapore.htm

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the link, very interesting reading indeed. Unfortunately it seems Singaporeans are lacking behind Malaysian.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/comm-summ/textversion/malaysia.htm

At the time of the 2006 Census, the median individual weekly income for the Malaysia-born in Australia aged 15 years and over was $557, compared with $431 for all overseas-born and $488 for all Australian-born. The total Australian population had a median individual weekly income of $466.

?? Malaysian migrant earn more then Singaporean migrant? wtf?

Median income
At the time of the 2006 Census, the median individual weekly income for the Singapore-born in Australia aged 15 years and over was $482, compared with $431 for all overseas-born and $488 for all Australia-born. The total Australian population had a median individual weekly income of $466.

Employment
Among Singapore-born people aged 15 years and over, the participation rate in the labour force was 63.4 per cent and the unemployment rate was 6.4 per cent. The corresponding rates in the total Australian population were 64.6 and 5.2 per cent respectively.

Of the 20 850 Singapore-born who were employed, 43.7 per cent were employed in a Skill Level 1 occupation, 11.9 per cent in Skill Level 2 and 9.2 per cent in Skill Level 3. The corresponding rates in the total Australian population were 28.7, 10.7 and 15.1 per cent respectively.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/comm-summ/textversion/singapore.htm

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serious racism: No.

Subtle racism: Yes. How you treat the minority races in Singapore, you get a taste of it here once in a while, usually by underprivileged or dumb people. In the other words, people you do not meet regularly, unless your profession/vocation calls for it.

Those people whom you work with will generally respect Singaporeans, because they understand how we tick.

Those in high management will sometimes not treat you as equal. Not surprising, they look down on Poms, women, etc.

Usually, women managers have problems with Asian staff, because we are brighter than them.

But Australia is still very much fairer when it comes to human to human relations. Even the police has to respect you and speak to you nicely.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Australia is still very much fairer when it comes to human to human relations. Even the police has to respect you and speak to you nicely.

Mate not what I saw in Underbelly! ekekek

Joking aside, treat people with respect and in general they would do the same with you here. Don't act arrogant or bochap like in Singapore. Even if they treat you "badly" just move on, there are a lot of nice people in Aussieland. Sometimes smile a little in the lift and they will smile back as well.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Serious racism: No.

Subtle racism: Yes. How you treat the minority races in Singapore, you get a taste of it here once in a while, usually by underprivileged or dumb people. In the other words, people you do not meet regularly, unless your profession/vocation calls for it.

Those people whom you work with will generally respect Singaporeans, because they understand how we tick.

Those in high management will sometimes not treat you as equal. Not surprising, they look down on Poms, women, etc.

Usually, women managers have problems with Asian staff, because we are brighter than them.

Isn't it the same in Spore? Most MNCs hire Ang Mos(in some instances, ah nehs as Senior Mgt - they too don't treat Sporeans equally. I'm not sure about women though, but if they are given a CEO role then you better jolly well treat her with respect else she'll all over you. (eg. Westpac CEO is a woman). There's a lot of Asians in the workplace nowadays, but at the executive and top management positions are still rare. I reckon those who are born and breed there have better chances to move up as they are perceived as better cultural fit than immigrants.

Is it just women managers? I believe in general Asian staff are brighter than the whites, they only lose out in the communication and interpersonal skills department.

But Australia is still very much fairer when it comes to human to human relations. Even the police has to respect you and speak to you nicely.[/

True, in the fact the annoying ones are those ABCs, they see us a threat and inferior to them just because they speak with a thick Aussie accent.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats! My 2 years is coming up soon but still don't see the need to apply for citizenship especially you will get fine if you missed the election voting. The only benefit I see if if you are furthering your studies then you could apply for fee help thru the government which generally only applicable for citizens.

Anyway, I might be moving to Melbourne.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't it the same in Spore? Most MNCs hire Ang Mos(in some instances, ah nehs as Senior Mgt - they too don't treat Sporeans equally. I'm not sure about women though, but if they are given a CEO role then you better jolly well treat her with respect else she'll all over you. (eg. Westpac CEO is a woman). There's a lot of Asians in the workplace nowadays, but at the executive and top management positions are still rare. I reckon those who are born and breed there have better chances to move up as they are perceived as better cultural fit than immigrants.

I have always suspect the Westpac CEO is a male underneath his/her skirts.
Anyway, she belongs to the boy's club now.
It is the old-money old old boy's club that do not like asians, but they must be hating themselves playing second fiddles to China mainlanders.

Is it just women managers? I believe in general Asian staff are brighter than the whites, they only lose out in the communication and interpersonal skills department.

Old white female managers and their trashy office ladies and some young dumb blondes can be quite racists. But we cannot help if their men left them for exotic tanned or untanned asian ladies.

But Australia is still very much fairer when it comes to human to human relations. Even the police has to respect you and speak to you nicely.[/

True, in the fact the annoying ones are those ABCs, they see us a threat and inferior to them just because they speak with a thick Aussie accent.
The ABCs are totally spoilt by Singaporeans who are in awe of their cross-cultural "Superiority"
Kylie Kwang , the typical ABC celebrity chef is a good example.

When MediaCock produced her "My China" cooking series. It is obvious that she is a classical case of "pian jiak" who has no in-depth knowledge of chinese cooking. Her style of cooking can only win over a English-salad mother-in-law.

Some ABCs are really clowns. Again, using Kylie as an example.
She wore a very unflattering butch outfit, with thick black-rimmed glasses, a dowdy hairstyle and the god-awful ABCAussie accent.

The latest ABC fashion these days are thick tibetan prayer beads which they wears around their neck and stretch all the way to their unflattering tummies.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mate not what I saw in Underbelly! ekekek

Joking aside, treat people with respect and in general they would do the same with you here. Don't act arrogant or bochap like in Singapore. Even if they treat you "badly" just move on, there are a lot of nice people in Aussieland. Sometimes smile a little in the lift and they will smile back as well.

Not my fault. Blame the wogs for bringing over their Sicily cousins.

If you dwell in the underworld, you have to play by their rules.

prometheanclosed.jpg

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eh I don't think Carl Williams is from sicily.

No. But he is like a Godfather. But I am sure the mob has got connection to Calabria, which is the region just above Sicily.

You walk on the streets there and even old grandpop will ask you for money. hahaha.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. But he is like a Godfather. But I am sure the mob has got connection to Calabria, which is the region just above Sicily.

You walk on the streets there and even old grandpop will ask you for money. hahaha.

Old news lah, watch underbelly season 3 golden mile. Corrupt NSW police force! whaahahahha