• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore politics is a joke .!!!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
… a JC student wrote this about Singapore politics some 25 years ago ..
Following is his text ..

Singapore politics is a joke…

If democracy is about fair representation and balance of powers, how can this be achieved if both the executive

and parliament are overwhelmingly
dominated by the same party? With the Party Whip, PAP members must vote according to their party stand even if their consciense is against it. This makes passing law very expedient for the ruling party. Laws that may hold political motive ..

Im not saying that PAP is corrupted (I can't). Hell, if I get paid that much, t don't need to be corrupted. But that is no guarantee that there won't be corruption tomorrow. There are no checks and balances to prevent it.

And even the representation is skewed. Even if PAP won 75% of the votes, that had somehow converted to 82 out of 84 contested seats in parliament. That's 97.6% of the contested seats. I don't remember them getting a 97% majority vote. And the opposition parties got 25% of the votes. 25% of 84 seats would be

21. But instead, they got 2. That's about 10 times less. Somehow, by the rearrangement of electoral boundaries and ballooning of GRCs, 25% of the people's will is only represented by about 2.4% of contested seats in parliament.

If democracy is about representation and checks and balances, then clearly the situation here raises some questions ..

11:37 PM drop me a note (0) comment

Tuesday,
Jamus Lim already said the 3 independent safe guard keys, placed in the same keychain, is already a joke.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
a JC student wrote this about Singapore politics some 25 years ago ..
Im not saying that PAP is corrupted (I can't). Hell, if I get paid that much, t don't need to be corrupted. But that is no guarantee that there won't be corruption tomorrow. There are no checks and balances to prevent it. And even the representation is skewed. Even if PAP won 75% of the votes, that had somehow converted to 82 out of 84 contested seats in parliament. That's 97.6% of the contested seats. I don't remember them getting a 97% majority vote. And the opposition parties got 25% of the votes. 25% of 84 seats would be 21. But instead, they got 2. That's about 10 times less. Somehow, by the rearrangement of electoral boundaries and ballooning of GRCs, 25% of the people's will is only represented by about 2.4% of contested seats in parliament. If democracy is about representation and checks and balances, then clearly the situation here raises some questions ..
When a Minister is paid an annual salary that is enough to feed an average S'porean family for a lifetime, there is absolutely no need to steal. Electoral engineering has significant effects on the representation received by voters in such wards. Since gerrymandering may be engineered to multiply the number of wasted votes, the relative representation of the winning candidate may be drastically altered from their actual share of the voting population. This prevents the achievement of proportional and illustrative representation since the winner is determined by the incumbent party which draws the electoral boundaries, rather than the preferences of the constituents.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is indeed a joke and guess who are the ones laughing….to the bank ?
Parliament.jpg