• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Drivers. What kind of attitude do you carry while driving on our roads?

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
typical sg drivers :

mit lancer (thinking they are mit lancer evo) : poor fuck ah bengs
subaru impreza/wrx : ah beng with some money
nissan sunny : ah peks driving very slowly in fast lane without a care for the rest of the world
luxury car woman driver : slow, indecisive, never look/signal when turning or changing lane, hog the fast lane
weekend plate malaysia brand car : 99 out of 100 times is a mat. usually slow but car is usually very clean with lots of personalisation with decals or decos
honda civic : see subaru impreza/wrx
toyota altis : see nissan sunny
toyota vios : see subura impreza/wrx

anymore to add?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, it's so common to see those commercial vehicles like vans and small trucks driving continuously in long stretches on the 2nd left lane (either lanes 3 or 2, pending on the number of carriageways on the expressway) and hogging the expressway with their 70km/h speed. Most TPs will just close an eye or simply wave to them to get back to the leftmost lane when encountered. How to instill a better driving environment when the TPs are ever so reluctant to enforce their laws?

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, it's so common to see those commercial vehicles like vans and small trucks driving continuously in long stretches on the 2nd left lane (either lanes 3 or 2, pending on the number of carriageways on the expressway) and hogging the expressway with their 70km/h speed. Most TPs will just close an eye or simply wave to them to get back to the leftmost lane when encountered. How to instill a better driving environment when the TPs are ever so reluctant to enforce their laws?

on this topic, plenty of commercial vans in particular renault kangoo and merz vito even drove on the extreme right lane of expressways for extended period; especially so on ecp/aye.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is there a law that restrict commercial vehicles to the left most lane? i really dont know got this rule. anyway it dangerous to drive on the leftmost lane all the way where there always vehicles exiting or entering the expressway. 80km/h is the speed limit so what wrong with driving 70km/h plus on the middle lane? anyway i check six regularly and i will give way if i have car behind me. of course if there another bugger in front of me, then the car behind will have go overtaking lane.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
is there a law that restrict commercial vehicles to the left most lane? i really dont know got this rule. anyway it dangerous to drive on the leftmost lane all the way where there always vehicles exiting or entering the expressway. 80km/h is the speed limit so what wrong with driving 70km/h plus on the middle lane? anyway i check six regularly and i will give way if i have car behind me. of course if there another bugger in front of me, then the car behind will have go overtaking lane.

talking about extreme right lane.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wouldn't mind if these commercial drivers want to drive away from the leftmost lane but at the legal speed of the expressway. They can risk getting fined for speeding. But the problem is they hogged at 70km/h for long continuous stretches, not just for overtaking purposes. The situation is made worse when the stretch of expressway is only with 3 lanes and most cars are left with only lane 1 for traveling at the legal speed of 90km/h. So do you think this is correct?

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys never driven in KL before especially during anytime of the day! If a bomb is placed inside all Malaysian car to detonate if they flout 3 driving rules within 5 minutes, they will solve the problems of traffic jams forever within that five minutes!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wouldn't mind if these commercial drivers want to drive away from the leftmost lane but at the legal speed of the expressway. They can risk getting fined for speeding. But the problem is they hogged at 70km/h for long continuous stretches, not just for overtaking purposes. The situation is made worse when the stretch of expressway is only with 3 lanes and most cars are left with only lane 1 for traveling at the legal speed of 90km/h. So do you think this is correct?

Hmmm... but it legal speed limit up to 90km/h, that mean can drive up to 90 but that does not mean 70 is hogging. i admit 3 lanes exp will have problems but do to 70+ on the secondmost left lane should be reasonable. i dont like to drive on the extreme left where heavy vehicle struggle to reach 50km/h. it is tiring to keep overtaking 50km/h vehicles and also look out for idiots in lancer/imprezza who wait till the last second before cutting in front of me to exit the expressway without even signalling. pls spare a tot to the commerical vehicle drivers on the left lane lah. dont everything also blame them. i only drive a hiace sometime yet i already experience problem face by commerical vehicle drivers. so i also will spare a tot to them when i encounter them while driving my car. as i said earlier, i will shift to the left lane on the first instant of impending vehicle approaching while on the middle lane of a three lanes expressway. all must give and take lah, it wont delay you a few seconds to wait for them to switch lane. anyway, nowsaday 3 lanes expressway rather rare, i can only remember the viaduct on aye/ecp and part of the ecp itself. most expressways now 4-5 lanes wide.

but i do admit there plenty of idiots in a belingo/kanroo hogging the extreme right lane.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys noticed the LED speed readout gizmo at the exits of expressways? Tampines Avenue 5 and Clementi Ave 6 for example. They can also be found on the bridge leading into Sentosa. When it is safe, ie. light or no traffic, steady your speed and read the figures they display. It will prove what I had said about speedometers being 10% optimistic.
OEM made them so as a result of lawsuits in USA in the 80s or earlier.

If more drivers can grasp this fact then our road travelling speed will increase by 10 kmph minimum.

Commercial vehicles should be driven at an indicated 80kmph. Only 3 kmph above true speed limit with a discretionary grace of 10 more allowed by TP! It only needs the application of brain cells to effect it.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm... but it legal speed limit up to 90km/h, that mean can drive up to 90 but that does not mean 70 is hogging. i admit 3 lanes exp will have problems but do to 70+ on the secondmost left lane should be reasonable. i dont like to drive on the extreme left where heavy vehicle struggle to reach 50km/h. it is tiring to keep overtaking 50km/h vehicles and also look out for idiots in lancer/imprezza who wait till the last second before cutting in front of me to exit the expressway without even signalling. pls spare a tot to the commerical vehicle drivers on the left lane lah. dont everything also blame them. i only drive a hiace sometime yet i already experience problem face by commerical vehicle drivers. so i also will spare a tot to them when i encounter them while driving my car. as i said earlier, i will shift to the left lane on the first instant of impending vehicle approaching while on the middle lane of a three lanes expressway. all must give and take lah, it wont delay you a few seconds to wait for them to switch lane. anyway, nowsaday 3 lanes expressway rather rare, i can only remember the viaduct on aye/ecp and part of the ecp itself. most expressways now 4-5 lanes wide.

but i do admit there plenty of idiots in a belingo/kanroo hogging the extreme right lane.

You should not be driving other than at the leftmost lane if your speed is not at the legal expressway speed limit or unless you are overtaking. Even so, if the legal speed is 90km/h, in most instances, driving at between 90km/h and 100km/h range would be the norm and even accepted by those traffic cameras. So, imagine you driving your Hiace at 70km/h and hogging those traveling at 100km/h? That's 30% slower than the rest. How would you feel if you are driving a car instead? And the situation is being made even worse if it's only a 3-lane expressway and at peak hours.

If you are driving a commercial vehicle with the speed limit imposed, be considerate and don't road hog. In my opinion, there should be no variation in speed limit between those large lorries (at 60km/h) and LGVs (at 70km/h). Otherwise, this will cause a disruption for those in LGVs and hence they will tend to switch to the next lane. They should either both be the same at 60km/h or 70km/h. Sometimes, our LTA rules are really fucked up.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remember there was a time (late 80s or early 90s) when all the commercial vehicles need to fix a speed limit light on top of the vehicle and a beeper inside the vehicle. Think it was due to high accident rate for this category of vehicles.

The speed limit for commercial vehicle was 60km/hr. The lights will start blinking and beeper start beeping when the limit is exceeded.

Was driving a van during that time and very easy to fall asleep driving at that speed.

sammyboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed, many times, i just let them merge into the centre lane to avoid an accident. Yesterday there was one such case where a goods vehicle last minute cut into my lane, forcing me to slam on the brakes and pressed my horn for the first time this year. I will only press the horn in emergencies and press it like once a year kind of thing as i normally don't press it even for deserving people. This guy, driving a GY239D vehicle (hope i got the number right as left the car plate no. in my car) slashed into my path forcing me to horn. Then he highbeamed me continuously when i passed him. I highbeamed him back and then continued my way, he highbeamed me many times. Slowed down to the side and took down his license number. Driving 70kmph and on the extreme right lane for most of the way until others highbeamed him. Our goods vehicles are very very cocky these days.

turtle them ! Jam hard on your brakes. 'But however do be careful when approaching any EXITs on expressways, Freshies not familiar with roads or tourist road trippers always do last minute exits.

sammyboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should not be driving other than at the leftmost lane if your speed is not at the legal expressway speed limit or unless you are overtaking. Even so, if the legal speed is 90km/h, in most instances, driving at between 90km/h and 100km/h range would be the norm and even accepted by those traffic cameras. So, imagine you driving your Hiace at 70km/h and hogging those traveling at 100km/h? That's 30% slower than the rest. How would you feel if you are driving a car instead? And the situation is being made even worse if it's only a 3-lane expressway and at peak hours.

If you are driving a commercial vehicle with the speed limit imposed, be considerate and don't road hog. In my opinion, there should be no variation in speed limit between those large lorries (at 60km/h) and LGVs (at 70km/h). Otherwise, this will cause a disruption for those in LGVs and hence they will tend to switch to the next lane. They should either both be the same at 60km/h or 70km/h. Sometimes, our LTA rules are really fucked up.

The reason why they are on the middle lane is due to the fact that Slower vehicles are on LEFT lane ,mostly tipper trucks, which one can witness at Tuas area bring peaks.

sammyboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys noticed the LED speed readout gizmo at the exits of expressways? Tampines Avenue 5 and Clementi Ave 6 for example. They can also be found on the bridge leading into Sentosa. When it is safe, ie. light or no traffic, steady your speed and read the figures they display. It will prove what I had said about speedometers being 10% optimistic.
OEM made them so as a result of lawsuits in USA in the 80s or earlier.

If more drivers can grasp this fact then our road travelling speed will increase by 10 kmph minimum.

Commercial vehicles should be driven at an indicated 80kmph. Only 3 kmph above true speed limit with a discretionary grace of 10 more allowed by TP! It only needs the application of brain cells to effect it.

this LED syndrome can be highlighted to LTA where their subcontractors buy such scanning equipment. LTA didn't do a good road design job on merging lane syndrome,now they are rectifying it. and more distance for merging lanes into expressways

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LTA should change the rule. All vehicle speed limit increase 10km/h and increase the expressway speed limit to 100km/h . Those commercial car G plate caught on right most lane in expressway will be deduct 12 point and fine $300.
Install camera in expressway to monitor and take down plate no, of the commercial vehicle on the right most lane.