• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shocking: Most taxis is boh airbag one

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is the question: Is it illegal not to have airbags in cars in Singapore? I thought they would be mandatory for cars after certain date?

ComfortDelgro allowed to use spare engines on taxis undergoing complete engine overhaul so as to be able to keep earning rental money for the company, you can do that for your car or not? Is your surname Lee? Or Ho?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If people are so concerned about safety while travelling in a taxi, then implore the the Government to allow them to bring in PRCs as salaried taxi drivers. Roland will provide free funerals.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue I want to raise is simply why, if there is a law that says all cars should have airbags installed, and taxis have them removed, disabled, not as standard, is a breach of that law and should be fined, penalised.

ComfortDelgro allowed to use spare engines on taxis undergoing complete engine overhaul so as to be able to keep earning rental money for the company, you can do that for your car or not? Is your surname Lee? Or Ho?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Had you made a general statement that "airbags save lives", I would have agreed with you. However, saying that an airbag would have saved the life of this particular taxi driver in this particular accident shows that you don't have a clue what happens when a T bone accident at such high speed occurs.

The taxi wasn't even T boned on the driver's side. The Ferrari hit the left side of the car. Side curtain bags would not have done anything to help.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue I want to raise is simply why, if there is a law that says all cars should have airbags installed, and taxis have them removed, disabled, not as standard, is a breach of that law and should be fined, penalised.

Taxis in involved in accidents whereby their front or rear ends are unrepairable will have have one of each other cannibalised by sawing in half to be welded together to make two whole repaired taxi out of another two similarly damaged taxis. I had been waiting to see reports of taxis split in two in accidents. Gods above must love Sinkies. The same way PAP love their linked entities.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had you made a general statement that "airbags save lives", I would have agreed with you. However, saying that an airbag would have saved the life of this particular taxi driver in this particular accident shows that you don't have a clue what happens when a T bone accident at such high speed occurs.

The taxi wasn't even T boned on the driver's side. The Ferrari hit the left side of the car. Side curtain bags would not have done anything to help.

Curious reverse of logic. Whatever... The fact is that he died WITHOUT an airbag. An interesting article on the issue:

A tragic 2-car side impact collision in NW Harris County that claimed two young lives, a mother and her daughter, had us thinking about side impact airbags. Side impact collisions like this one cause more injuries and fatalities than other types of car wrecks because the crush zone (the area between the outside of the vehicle and the inside of the passenger compartment) is smaller than for head-on and rear collisions. Data shows that side impact crashes like the collision in NW Harris County are 3 times more likely to cause traumatic brain injuries than other types of wrecks. Approximately 60% of victims injured in side impact crashes receive traumatic brain injuries.

About 10,000 people die in side impact crashes each year in the United States. Many of these impacts end as rollover wrecks. Advocates tout side airbags for their particular effectiveness in preventing injuries and deaths in rollover wrecks. This is because the airbags keep the occupants inside the vehicle. And 75% of deaths from rollover wrecks occur when a passenger or driver is ejected from the car during a crash.

We could point out that wearing seatbelts will usually accomplish the same goal of keeping passengers and drivers inside a car during a rollover. We have also pointed out time and again that wearing motorcycle helmets will prevent many injuries and fatalities from motorcycle wrecks. But riders continue to ride without helmets. And, we suspect, car passengers and drivers will continue to similarly ride without seatbelts.

The NHTSA announced in January 2011 that it would soon begin requiring side airbags in cars as standard safety restraint equipment. This announcement has generated some controversy. Some car enthusiasts call the requirements nonsense and claim that they're just another way to make our cars more expensive. Current estimates project that the new NHTSA requirement will cost about $31 per vehicle. Of course, costs tend to inflate grossly once something actually begins to get implemented. But even if you multiply the estimate by 10, the added cost still remains small in light of the proven effectiveness of side airbags in reducing injuries and fatalities in a car crash. Crash tests and real life studies all indicate that side airbags should save numerous lives.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In OZ, if this would happen, there would be a royal commission establish to determine why,what, how to fix things like this. At the end of the royal commission, the govt, would possibly implement recommendation on the report. There would be public outcry, and cabbie companies would most likely have to be wound out,fined.

Royal commission takes too long. Court case is the norm.

Anyway, in Australia, the taxi drivers purchase and own their own taxis, just need to get suitable cars for this purpose.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Curious reverse of logic. Whatever... The fact is that he died WITHOUT an airbag. An interesting article on the issue:

In this particular crash, his chance of survival without an airbag was virtually zero. The impact was far too great.

With an airbag, I'd give him a 5% chance of surviving but he'd probably still be a vegetable or a quadriplegic. At speed the Ferrari was going, the forces were simply too great. It ripped the whole engine out for goodness sake.

At my local race track, the deaths I have witnessed have all been side impact crashes and this was in cars where drivers were wearing helmets and safety harnesses.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I doubt if taxis have their airbags REMOVED. Why would any company incur the extra costs of removing something that was already installed???

The reason why the taxis come without air bags is simple... it's the ARF. It multiplies the cost of everything by a factor of more than 2.

Dealers in Singapore therefore bring in the bare bones model in order to keep costs as low as possible.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

I will attempt a WAG (wild ass guess). The taxi driver (RIP) most likely crushed his ribs against his steering wheel and hit his head on the his side door pillar on impact due to the law of inertia.. The impact was so great that the aerodynamic Ferrari actually flew to land in front of the Bugis MRT station. He didn't stand a chance.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
So its possible to buy a car in Singapore without airbags to keep the cost down then ? Hence, implying airbags are not mandatory?

I doubt if taxis have their airbags REMOVED. Why would any company incur the extra costs of removing something that was already installed???

The reason why the taxis come without air bags is simple... it's the ARF. It multiplies the cost of everything by a factor of more than 2.

Dealers in Singapore therefore bring in the bare bones model in order to keep costs as low as possible.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this particular case of 140 km/h impact at the side, no airbags or no car can survive this. The veins inside the body will burst and die of internal injury.

No kinetic forces involved lah. It was a red missile without explosives.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
So its possible to buy a car in Singapore without airbags to keep the cost down then ? Hence, implying airbags are not mandatory?

Not many countries have made airbags mandatory. They aren't compulsory in NZ either. Some countries have legislated that models after a certain date must have air bags but even then, there are numerous configurations and I'm not sure if multiple side curtain airbags will be included in the law.