• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDA and SDP continue to damage themselves

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I doubt so. The vote SPP has gotten in PP over the years is a vote given to the Chiams.
If the Chiams are not there a large majority of the residents would be happy to give the vote back to the PAP.

I disagree with you. On another thread, I said although online personalities are divided into supporters of this party or that party, the general population are only pro-establishment or anti-establishment, except for only a small number of hardcore party supporters. All the population at large wants is who can improve my present situation? They are not too interested in the ideological struggle that the different parties are fighting over.

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he had stayed loyal to Chiam See Tong, that seat might be his now (despite his horrible English and his total inability to debate in Parliament). Chiam might have given the seat to him instead of Lina, and SPP might have won. Lina is a nice auntie and very matronly, but she is not electable, and even so she lost out by only 100 votes. So I dare say that Desmond dug his own grave. That was a golden ticket to Parliament. He will never get a second chance. Not in Potong Pasir and not anywhere. He is finished.

Lina Chiam has a good chance in PP in 2016. She is an NCMP, which means she has the chance to build her case. She got more than 49%, and the fact that the ground is sweeter for the opposition in 2016 could tip it her way. Lina Chiam is only a nice auntie, but also a nice auntie who comes attached with a very useful advisor.

What will work against her is that a lot of people kept on voting CST for 20+ years because they felt that they had a national duty to ensure that there was an opposition MP in parliament. There might be a perception that "it's not somebody else's turn to provide parliament with the opposition MP" and that will work against her. ultimately it is up to her to decide whether or not she wants to run. If she wants to run in 2016, for the WP to say "I'll also contest PP" would be around as stupid as the SDP wanting to go into Punggol East.

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
trust me, Potong Pasir want an opposition, but a credible 1. not an aunty

Of course they want someone credible, but there is that other part of the voter bloc that is loyal to the Chiams.
For example, when it was known that Lina Chiam lost by a margin smaller than the number of spoilt votes some PP voters wanted to stage a protest and demanded a re-staging of the election. I don't for one moment believe they would do that for anyone else who walked into and took over the oppo spot from the Chiams. There is that sizeable bloc of voters, maybe 35%, who are personally loyal to the Chiams. If none of them stays there, many in that voter bloc will simply cast in favour of PAP. :biggrin:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course they want someone credible, but there is that other part of the voter bloc that is loyal to the Chiams.
For example, when it was known that Lina Chiam lost by a margin smaller than the number of spoilt votes some PP voters wanted to stage a protest and demanded a re-staging of the election. I don't for one moment believe they would do that for anyone else who walked into and took over the oppo spot from the Chiams. There is that sizeable bloc of voters, maybe 35%, who are personally loyal to the Chiams. If none of them stays there, many in that voter bloc will simply cast in favour of PAP. :biggrin:

pple move in and out of PP all the time... ST just interview an PE resident who used to live in PP before she got married... she vopted WP...

the truth is in 5 yr time, most pple would not remember Chiam contribution

liangshan

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP trying to claim credit immediately after WP's win is disgusting.

Let's not forget who was the one who released emails exchanged to make WP look bad.
Who was the one who wanted to let WP take over TC while they hog the MP seat?

SDP wanted to run from the beginning. Withdrawing from the race was just to do whatever damage control they could after they received backlash over the suggestion to let WP take over town council.

Now them trying to take credit over WP's win after what they've tried to do is just disgusting. Come on.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
PP is SPP land....WP might not want to rustle it
PP is only an SMC, and WP has many hunting grounds open in 2016. West coast would be ideal. Another location is tampines. Basically no need to fight with the Chaim's unless they openly invites WP to take pp. by 2021 or latest 2025, pp will be available and WP can take it.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
PP is only an SMC, and WP has many hunting grounds open in 2016. West coast would be ideal. Another location is tampines. Basically no need to fight with the Chaim's unless they openly invites WP to take pp. by 2021 or latest 2025, pp will be available and WP can take it.

Agree. They should send a medium to high level candidate to knock Charles Chong out.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let's not forget who was the one who released emails exchanged to make WP look bad.

SDP wanted to run from the beginning. Withdrawing from the race was just to do whatever damage control they could after they received backlash over the suggestion to let WP take over town council.

Now them trying to take credit over WP's win after what they've tried to do is just disgusting. Come on.

Maybe what they meant was they attacked WP so fiercely until supporters became unhappy with the smaller parties.

That explains why KJ and DL polled lesser than DL in 2011.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

CSJ would take credit for almost anything that goes well. But he will palm off responsibility for nasty things: a case in point was CSJ replacing CST as Sec-Gen of SDP -- CSJ keeps saying others wanted it so as though he was merely a pawn in a larger game. The guy is revolting and people should come to terms with that.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe what they meant was they attacked WP so fiercely until supporters became unhappy with the smaller parties.

That explains why KJ and DL polled lesser than DL in 2011.

No evidence to support this. WP hardly mentioned RP and SDA in their rallies.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your observations are based on the assumption that many people have a good opinion of SDP.
Last I checked SDP had no seats in Parliament. In GE2011 its so-called "A" team in Holland-Bukit Timah garnered 39.9% of the vote.
That is a massive 10.1% away from the finishing line. I put it to you that there is a vast gulf between what you would like to see and what is the reality.

Apprently, this so-called A team has already disintegrated. Only VW is still with SDP. Maybe he can lead a "G" team come GE 2016?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yar. Must be careful when dealing with WP. You will get burned bad if you offend their supporters :smile:

If they attack only the WP supporters which they probably can only do online, don't think anything will happen to them or WP one way or the other as the number of the voters going on line is actually quite small. But if they attack WP itself in their rallies and interviews, they have only themselves to be blamed. Their very entry into a MCF itself had already irked a large number of people.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would appreciate it very much if WP supporters could be more sensitive to the feelings of supporters of other opposition parties. Please do not gloat over your rival's misfortune. Remember "what goes around comes around" and "pride goes before a fall". I am new to this forum, and yet one of the WP supporters in this forum (I cannot remember his name) was so ruthless to give me "red points" just because I did not praise the WP party to sky high.

and which opposition party are you speaking off?

If people were to attack you, you could see who is the nick as its recorded. If you cant, then.... you tell me how it goes.

This is freedom of speech and expression. Cant accept it, go join SDP or PAP.

chilakak

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. They should send a medium to high level candidate to knock Charles Chong out.

Joo Chiat highly likely not to be SMC anymore in next GE. Most likely absorbed into Marine Parade GRC. Also Charles Chong very likely to be retired in next GE.