• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Scenic train journeys to take during winter

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please post a field report and some photos. :wink:
I lost most of my Switzerland photos as I accidentally deleted them when my phone storage was full. But doesn’t matter, plenty of photos in the internet.

It was more than 6 years ago I can’t recall the details but it’s a really enjoyable full day train journey from Zermatt to St Moritz with lunch onboard. The glacier express is a tourist train with big glass windows so can just sit back and enjoy good view of the magnificent scenery throughout. Passed by those viaducts too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Express

Reactions: jw5

jw5

Loyal
1665063237708.png

The Bergensbanen, Norway - The Oslo to Bergan lines runs for 495 km (308 mi) through some of Europe's most breathtaking but inhospitable terrain.

jw5

Loyal
1665067413461.png

Tadami Railway Line, Japan - Autumn and winter are two rewarding seasons in which to enjoy this journey, which connects Fukushima with Niigata. Pictured is the dramatic Tadamigawa Bridge No. 1.

jw5

Loyal
1665067438081.png

Tadami Railway Line, Japan - The 133-km (83-mi) trip snakes through deep forest valleys and skirts lakes and rivers.

jw5

Loyal
1665150500300.png

Circum-Baikal Railway, Russia -

This historic railway runs along the northern shore of the southern end of Lake Baikal.

jw5

Loyal
1665150525313.png

Circum-Baikal Railway, Russia, - The track was once part of the mighty Trans-Siberian Railway. Today it operates as an independent railway. Pictured: a sign marking the beginning of the Circum-Baikal Railway.

jw5

Loyal
1665153305607.png

Trans-Siberian Railway, Russia -

One of the most famous railway lines in the world, the Trans-Siberian Railway (TSR) is also the longest, at 9,289 km (5,772 mi). If you can afford it, travel in style on one of the private Golden Eagle luxury trains.

jw5

Loyal
1665153334824.png

Trans-Siberian Railway, Russia -

The TSR connects Moscow with Vladivostok, with connecting branch lines into Mongolia, China, and North Korea. Pictured: locomotive P-36, used by the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express.

jw5

Loyal
1665230810295.png

Jungfrau Railway, Switzerland -

Want to reach Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe? Take the train that departs Kleine Scheidegg.

jw5

Loyal
1665230835956.png

Much of the railway runs within the Jungfrau Tunnel. But the initial section is open-air, and the Alpine landscape in mind-blowing. Pictured: Kleine Scheidegg railway station with the Eigernordwand in the background.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 163994

Want to reach Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe? Take the train that departs Kleine Scheidegg.
This Jungraujoch top of Europe trip is nice too. Oh ya I checked my holiday expense spreadsheet that day, it’s actually not included in Swiss travel pass, have to pay a so-called discounted admission fee of CHF 128.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 163995

Much of the railway runs within the Jungfrau Tunnel. But the initial section is open-air, and the Alpine landscape in mind-blowing. Pictured: Kleine Scheidegg railway station with the Eigernordwand in the background.
Mind blowing landscape indeed can see the mountain and snow so near from the train. I remember lots of snow everywhere and snowing in mid June.