• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Salute! Surgeon collasped after OT & became ICU patient himself

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was in deeper trouble himself than the patient he was trying to save on the operating table. He put up with his own troubles and sustain until he completed the surgery for a patient fractured by road accident. Then soon after completing the surgery the surgeon himself collapsed, and became a patient in ICU. But he earned respect from peasants and the best medical team and efforts are put up to save this surgeon who is struggling to regain his own consciousness. The news gave no info about the problem with the surgeon, but sounds to me like he had a stoke in his own brain during the surgery he performed on the accidental orthopaedic case.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2011-11/01/c_122224783.htm

为患者强忍病痛完成手术 好医生下手术台不久就昏迷

2011年11月01日 19:23:26 | 责任编辑: 殷丽云 | 来源:新华网

(图文互动)(1)为患者强忍病痛完成手术 好医生下手术台不久就昏迷

3年前由江振华救治的患者彭永国(右二)带着妻子(右一)从江苏如皋赶到南通大学附属医院重症监护室,隔着玻璃看望救命恩人江振华(2011年10月18日摄)。走下手术台,就被送进了病房,这不是电视剧或者电影的情节,南通大学附属医院医生江振华用自己的行为诠释了“医德”。一个多月来,在国内顶级专家的全力救治下,江振华从昏迷到眼睛无意识眨动、到偶尔有意识地抓握、到目前能根据指令轻微地摇头或点头,醒来的每一步都走得那么坚定,却又是那么艰难。  很多江振华曾经的患者赶来看望他表达敬意和祝福:这样的好大夫,希望他早点好起来。 新华社记者 孙参 摄

122224783_11n.jpg

122224783_21n.jpg

122224783_31n.jpg

江振华(前左二)在南通市区为社区居民义诊(2011年5月14日摄)。

122224783_41n.jpg

122224783_51n.jpg

曾经被江振华救治的女孩尹春敏(右二)和妈妈一道看望昏迷中的江振华(2011年10月8日摄)。2006年4月,当时6岁的尹春敏因车祸多处骨折,送进医院后由江振华成功救治。

122224783_61n.jpg

2009年7月7日,江振华(右一)在为病人做手术。

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see it that way. He is an idiot for endangering his live and his patient for performing the surgery while feeling unwell. What if he collapsed half-way through the surgery? What if he made a mistake due to his condition. I'll rather my surgeon to be well enough to think and operate at its optimal when performing the surgery. What and idiot and the propaganda from the paper exploited this.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see it that way. He is an idiot for endangering his live and his patient for performing the surgery while feeling unwell. What if he collapsed half-way through the surgery? What if he made a mistake due to his condition. I'll rather my surgeon to be well enough to think and operate at its optimal when performing the surgery. What and idiot and the propaganda from the paper exploited this.

"What if" are too speculative. Especially when too many factors only the surgeon himself knows better. The fact is his surgery was successfully completed. His patient was the man standing with hands on the ICU glass looking at the unconscious surgeon who saved him when his own troubles were greater. (1st pic) The surgeon completed his duty of saving his patient 1st before he let himself fall down to become another patient. He can give up saving his patient selfishly and attend to his own medical needs 1st but he struggle risking his own live instead. If he abandoned his surgery half way, there may be no suitable surgeon to immediately take over, and patient may have to wait for hours bleeding & the Anesthesia may wear off already. It is also very risky for patient & surgeon to take over a half completed surgery unexpectedly and in a hurry. Especially when the surgeon who did it at 1st would himself be unconscious to brief and handover or be consulted. There is going to be lots of info to pass on to another surgeon.

You can imagine what if a chef pass a half cooked dish halfway in the kitchen to another in a hurry to leave kitchen. Sure as hell the dish is expected to spoil can not be eaten - but never mind when it is just a dish. This is a patient's live we are talking about now, not a dish.

If a chef abandon cooking a dish half way just because he got tired and hungry himself, and ask other chef to finish his half-done job, that is fucking unprofessional. Say this chef, he was hungry and busy and had no time to feed himself 1st, but cook 1st to feed his customers, and sustained his giddiness and he passed out in the kitchen after completing his orders. He is a great chef of professionalism too. His customers who ate the food he cooked should pay him respect also. Can a hungry chef 偷吃 customers' dish when he himself felt hungry? :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::*::biggrin:

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ideally, when the surgeon become aware that something quite Jialat is happening to himself, he should alert his OT team and assistants to standby for unexpected. May be get one relevant doctor to be alerted to the OT to access the situation, get another surgeon alerted to possible unusual takeover of surgery. The news have no details to tell weather what did or did not happen, so we don't know lah.

Fortunate for the surgeon that his medical emergency occurred while he was in a hospital and helps will get to him ASAP. Imagine when you past out while driving or alone in the sleep, mati also no body knows! KNN! I remember that was what happened to my old neighbor, when mata found him close to death in his vehicle, he died in hospital because he was admitted too late, no cure liao.