• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rubbish

jw5

Loyal
Where To Dabao The Best Yong Tau Foo

3. Da Jie Niang Dou Fu

10 best yong tau foo in Singapore

Address:

Clementi:
Block 354 Clementi Ave 2, #01-253, Singapore 120354

Bukit Batok: Blk 372 Bukit Batok Street 31 #01-374, Singapore 650372

Operating Hours: 10AM-10PM (Opens Daily)

waitifcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
paging for
@syed putra
@whoami

may we have your wise opinion?

Warong Java, Bedok North: “A masterclass in Nasi Padang.”
Last Updated: January 13, 2021

This may come as a shock, but I’ve never had nasi padang before Warong Java. Yes, as a proud, home-grown Singaporean and perhaps an even prouder foodie, it is not a truth I’m particularly eager to reveal about myself.
Warong Java 17

There’s no explanation for it, other than me having patronised the same routine few stalls around my neighbourhood since young, and that a nasi padang stall simply wasn’t included in the roster. Yet, given that I reside in the cultural enclave that is Bedok, where these stalls are a dime a dozen, there is no excuse. Now empowered with a writer’s role in a food publication, the crossing of our paths was only inevitable.
Indeed, that is where Warong Java comes into the picture. It sits in the heart of Bedok, in a nondescript coffeeshop stuffed almost too tightly amidst tall rows of flats. A quick Google search reveals an army of its loyal followers, shouting nothing but praise for what seems like a thoroughly established institution.
Warong Java 28

Admittedly, my visit is plagued with a lack of experience. Is there a lingo for ordering? How do I know the names of the dishes I want? These are questions which may linger in the minds of the uninitiated, who like me, desperately cling on to the same few dishes we’re more familiar with. Yes, beef rendang and sambal sotong, I’m looking at you. Fortunately, I am accompanied by my editors, who graciously took me through this long overdue virgin meal.
What I tried
Truth be told, the nasi padang experience I had envisioned was one centred mainly on choice. Behind the glass display lies an intimidating array of dishes in all their fried, saucy glory. It looks undeniably delicious, don’t get me wrong, but it’s hard not to feel like a fish out of water when I know the names of less than half of the dishes there. Perhaps in a situation like this, choice is a privilege accorded only to the learned few.
I spring for the options I know least about, precisely because I hope to make this culinary affair a thoroughly educational one.
Warong Java 25

Nasi Rawon
There’s the Nasi Rawon (S$5.80), an amalgamation of rice ladled with rawon gravy. Painstakingly simmered in beef tendon and buah keluak (pangium edule fruit), the rawon here is pleasantly bittersweet. There is a smokiness which it imparts to the rice, and believe me, it is much, much better for it.
Despite the name, perhaps the real show of skill here lies in its accompanying ingredients. Fried paru (beef lung) is a first for me, dressed in an ominous black that screams all things Halloween. Springy in texture with a beautifully clean offal flavour, this dish is addictive on all fronts. As my editor astutely notes, “It’s like chips. I can munch on them all day.”.
Vital to any deserving plate of nasi padang is a mean sambal goreng. Warong Java’s rendition impresses with an enticing flavour mix of sweet and spicy that I’m certain would bring all the boys to the yard. Or warong, if you may. It cuts cleanly through the richness of the rawon, yet not too separate, a testament to the carefully thought out flavours amidst a glorious mess of a plate.
Warong Java 24

Nasi Jenganan

Here is where things get a little tricky. Nasi Jenganan (S$5.60) features some ingredients from the nasi rawon before, though with a few key differences. It’s an aesthetic that demands attention because one simply cannot miss a behemoth of thick satay gravy which sloppily coats not just the rice, but all of the plate. Chunky and chock-full of peanuts, this dish enjoys a deep nuttiness that paralyses the tongue with flavour. It’s heroically spicy too—a fact I learned the hard way, many packets of tissue and cups of water later.
The fixings are mostly the same from before, save for a bed of spinach and bean sprouts stealthily blanketed by the brown satay gravy. By now, my mind slants not toward what is good on each plate, but rather scrambling to find what isn’t. Warong Java demonstrates finesse to the last detail—a feat made only more impressive when you consider the sheer number of dishes in a single serving.
Warong Java 22

Nasi Ambeng
Read more: 25% off dining promotions in Singapore!
Providing a hearty conclusion to this trifecta of culinary masterpieces is the Nasi Ambeng (S$7). Unlike the previous two, this one’s a little more elegant with a hint of royalty. Not all servings of rice come doused in gravy, precisely because some don’t need it.
Here, I’m incredibly seduced by a serving of urap, maybe more so because it’s shrouded in mystery. The magic behind these vegetables? Serunding. It’s a dressing of grated coconut that’s laboriously fried till lightly crisp, golden, and exceedingly fragrant. Sure, it might not achieve world peace, but I’ll be darned if it doesn’t come close.
The ubiquitous beef rendang makes an appearance here. And of course, it’s fork-tender and beautifully spiced, yet I hardly found myself missing it throughout the entire meal. It’s a sentiment I’m happy about. Perhaps my time at Warong Java has lured me away from the nasi padang starter kit if you will.
Final thoughts
Warong Java 11

It’s challenging to put Warong Java’s food into words because there are only that many ways in which I can compliment a dish. Of course, I can’t speak to how it fares against other nasi padang stalls, though I can’t imagine anything much better.
What I can speak to, however, is unpretentious food that is jaw-droppingly scrumptious. If you’re unconvinced, make a trip down yourself, and take it from the folks in line. Good food is undoubtedly universal, a language understood by all. That is what gives the offerings at Warong Java and hopefully many more of such stalls a resounding yes for me.
Expected Damage: S$5 – S$10 per pax

Our Rating 5/5

Warong Java
539 Bedok North Street 3, #01-619 , Singapore 460539

Telephone: +65 9734 0350

Operating Hours: 7am - 4pm (Tue to Sun), Closed on Mon

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
paging for
@syed putra
@whoami

may we have your wise opinion?

Warong Java, Bedok North: “A masterclass in Nasi Padang.”
Last Updated: January 13, 2021

This may come as a shock, but I’ve never had nasi padang before Warong Java. Yes, as a proud, home-grown Singaporean and perhaps an even prouder foodie, it is not a truth I’m particularly eager to reveal about myself.
Warong Java 17

There’s no explanation for it, other than me having patronised the same routine few stalls around my neighbourhood since young, and that a nasi padang stall simply wasn’t included in the roster. Yet, given that I reside in the cultural enclave that is Bedok, where these stalls are a dime a dozen, there is no excuse. Now empowered with a writer’s role in a food publication, the crossing of our paths was only inevitable.
Indeed, that is where Warong Java comes into the picture. It sits in the heart of Bedok, in a nondescript coffeeshop stuffed almost too tightly amidst tall rows of flats. A quick Google search reveals an army of its loyal followers, shouting nothing but praise for what seems like a thoroughly established institution.
Warong Java 28

Admittedly, my visit is plagued with a lack of experience. Is there a lingo for ordering? How do I know the names of the dishes I want? These are questions which may linger in the minds of the uninitiated, who like me, desperately cling on to the same few dishes we’re more familiar with. Yes, beef rendang and sambal sotong, I’m looking at you. Fortunately, I am accompanied by my editors, who graciously took me through this long overdue virgin meal.
What I tried
Truth be told, the nasi padang experience I had envisioned was one centred mainly on choice. Behind the glass display lies an intimidating array of dishes in all their fried, saucy glory. It looks undeniably delicious, don’t get me wrong, but it’s hard not to feel like a fish out of water when I know the names of less than half of the dishes there. Perhaps in a situation like this, choice is a privilege accorded only to the learned few.
I spring for the options I know least about, precisely because I hope to make this culinary affair a thoroughly educational one.
Warong Java 25

Nasi Rawon
There’s the Nasi Rawon (S$5.80), an amalgamation of rice ladled with rawon gravy. Painstakingly simmered in beef tendon and buah keluak (pangium edule fruit), the rawon here is pleasantly bittersweet. There is a smokiness which it imparts to the rice, and believe me, it is much, much better for it.
Despite the name, perhaps the real show of skill here lies in its accompanying ingredients. Fried paru (beef lung) is a first for me, dressed in an ominous black that screams all things Halloween. Springy in texture with a beautifully clean offal flavour, this dish is addictive on all fronts. As my editor astutely notes, “It’s like chips. I can munch on them all day.”.
Vital to any deserving plate of nasi padang is a mean sambal goreng. Warong Java’s rendition impresses with an enticing flavour mix of sweet and spicy that I’m certain would bring all the boys to the yard. Or warong, if you may. It cuts cleanly through the richness of the rawon, yet not too separate, a testament to the carefully thought out flavours amidst a glorious mess of a plate.
Warong Java 24

Nasi Jenganan

Here is where things get a little tricky. Nasi Jenganan (S$5.60) features some ingredients from the nasi rawon before, though with a few key differences. It’s an aesthetic that demands attention because one simply cannot miss a behemoth of thick satay gravy which sloppily coats not just the rice, but all of the plate. Chunky and chock-full of peanuts, this dish enjoys a deep nuttiness that paralyses the tongue with flavour. It’s heroically spicy too—a fact I learned the hard way, many packets of tissue and cups of water later.
The fixings are mostly the same from before, save for a bed of spinach and bean sprouts stealthily blanketed by the brown satay gravy. By now, my mind slants not toward what is good on each plate, but rather scrambling to find what isn’t. Warong Java demonstrates finesse to the last detail—a feat made only more impressive when you consider the sheer number of dishes in a single serving.
Warong Java 22

Nasi Ambeng
Read more: 25% off dining promotions in Singapore!
Providing a hearty conclusion to this trifecta of culinary masterpieces is the Nasi Ambeng (S$7). Unlike the previous two, this one’s a little more elegant with a hint of royalty. Not all servings of rice come doused in gravy, precisely because some don’t need it.
Here, I’m incredibly seduced by a serving of urap, maybe more so because it’s shrouded in mystery. The magic behind these vegetables? Serunding. It’s a dressing of grated coconut that’s laboriously fried till lightly crisp, golden, and exceedingly fragrant. Sure, it might not achieve world peace, but I’ll be darned if it doesn’t come close.
The ubiquitous beef rendang makes an appearance here. And of course, it’s fork-tender and beautifully spiced, yet I hardly found myself missing it throughout the entire meal. It’s a sentiment I’m happy about. Perhaps my time at Warong Java has lured me away from the nasi padang starter kit if you will.
Final thoughts
Warong Java 11

It’s challenging to put Warong Java’s food into words because there are only that many ways in which I can compliment a dish. Of course, I can’t speak to how it fares against other nasi padang stalls, though I can’t imagine anything much better.
What I can speak to, however, is unpretentious food that is jaw-droppingly scrumptious. If you’re unconvinced, make a trip down yourself, and take it from the folks in line. Good food is undoubtedly universal, a language understood by all. That is what gives the offerings at Warong Java and hopefully many more of such stalls a resounding yes for me.
Expected Damage: S$5 – S$10 per pax

Our Rating 5/5

Warong Java
539 Bedok North Street 3, #01-619 , Singapore 460539

Telephone: +65 9734 0350

Operating Hours: 7am - 4pm (Tue to Sun), Closed on Mon

Tis stall ex Terminal 1 canteen stall. The sambal goreng n bagadil i like. I will normally order nasi rawan. Too bad the sotong sambal cut into small pcs.

jw5

Loyal
3. Da Jie Niang Dou Fu

The following Yong Tau Foo spot is one that is out of the norm. This is because, it is one of the rare gems in Singapore which serves Halal Yong Tau Foo. If you’re familiar with the name Da Jie Niang Dou Fu, you’ll know that there are currently two joints across Singapore. Also, the best part is that there are a total of 6 different types of YTF served here namely traditional Hakka style, Tom Yam, Laksa, Ampang or the simpler Black Bean and Tomato Ketchup. So, you can always make your choice among the varieties here and if you’re as indecisive as us, why not try them all?

jw5

Loyal

4. Yong Xiang Xing Dou Fu

Address: 32 New Market Rd, #01-1084, People’s Park Complex Food Centre, Singapore 050032

Operating Hours: 1 PM – 5 PM (Opens Daily)

waitifcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
this YTF in bukit merah view food centre
was very cheap and good
they open around midnight until dawn
by 11pm, a super long queue would have formed
after covid they disappeared
heard retired
unless they had restart their biz elsewhere

ytf.jpg

such big bowl can share three person about $5~$7 only.

ytf2.jpg

Reactions: jw5

jw5

Loyal
this YTF in bukit merah view food centre
was very cheap and good
they open around midnight until dawn
by 11pm, a super long queue would have formed
after covid they disappeared
heard retired
unless they had restart their biz elsewhere

View attachment 101735

such big bowl can share three person about $5~$7 only.

View attachment 101736

Very unusual for a hawker stall to be open from midnight to dawn. :thumbsup:

jw5

Loyal
4. Yong Xiang Xing Dou Fu

This next YTF spot on our list is also similarly located in People’s Park Food Centre. Unlike Da Jie or Poy Kee whereby there are twists to the YTF and accompanied with a bowl of noodles, Yong Xiang Xing Dou Fu serves YTF in its most basic form, which is often the best. In addition, it’s also a fun experience to watch the serving process of each bowl of YTF. The owner will firstly scoop them from a large simmering pot right into a bowl and top them with chopped shallots, spring onions and white pepper. The YTF soup here is truly the most flavourful one as it employs only the most basic ingredients. Sometimes, simplicity is the best.

jw5

Loyal

5. 109 Yong Tau Foo

Address: 90 Circular Road, Singapore 049441

Operating Hours: 11 AM – 10 PM (Opens Daily)

jw5

Loyal
5. 109 Yong Tau Foo

109 YTF is commonly known among Singaporeans for their insane snaking queue on a daily basis. This is probably due to its location being right in the CBD. However, fret not because the queue usually moves along in a fair speed with tables being cleared out quickly. Also, you can make your pick between noodles or rice and when it comes to the YTF itself, you can also choose among the dry, soup or even Laksa version! Wait! You can also choose your own YTF ingredients! Unlike the usual dry YTF, the dry version here is drenched with a light brown gravy which essentially makes it look like a bowl of Lor Mee. The beancurd skin here is perfectly crispy that you can hear the crackling sound upon biting into it.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
5. 109 Yong Tau Foo

109 YTF is commonly known among Singaporeans for their insane snaking queue on a daily basis. This is probably due to its location being right in the CBD. However, fret not because the queue usually moves along in a fair speed with tables being cleared out quickly. Also, you can make your pick between noodles or rice and when it comes to the YTF itself, you can also choose among the dry, soup or even Laksa version! Wait! You can also choose your own YTF ingredients! Unlike the usual dry YTF, the dry version here is drenched with a light brown gravy which essentially makes it look like a bowl of Lor Mee. The beancurd skin here is perfectly crispy that you can hear the crackling sound upon biting into it.

actually, yongtofu uses a lot of salt
not sure it's a healthy food