• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rubbish

jw5

Loyal
What To Dabao From Tanjong Pagar Food Centre

1650205388414.png

Rolina Traditional Hainanese Curry Puff
#02-15
Opening Hours: 9am – 2pm Daily

Hand-made Small Curry Puffs, With Michelin Bib Gourmand

The cutesy bite-sized Hainanese curry puff ($1.40 per piece) was about two-thirds the size of a Chang Kee. It was tightly packed and full of goodness. (Some complained it was too small though.)

Within its thin buttery skin, were brim-full pieces of soft cubic potatoes in curry paste and hard-boiled egg.

The name ‘Rolina’ came about because back when they still operated outside the Novena church, some customers couldn’t pronounce Novena and ended up calling it Rolina.

The stall was awarded the “Bib Gourmand” by the Michelin Guide in 2018. Rolina Traditional Hainanese Curry Puffs (Tanjong Pagar)

jw5

Loyal

1650379722941.png

Delicious 美味 Mee Rebus, Mee Siam, Lontong
#02-02
Opening Hours: 8am – 1pm (Mon – Tues, Fri – Sun), Closed Wed, Thurs

This stall only sells 3 items – Mee Rebus, Mee Siam and Lontong, all affordably priced at $3.50.

It is quite an under-rated stall looking at how little coverage it received, but the line of customers and regulars do not lie. Some of its items are sold out quite early during the day (like lunch time) so do not come too late.

The Mee Siam, complete with the thin orange rice vermicelli and tangy gravy, tasted rather old-school (like those I had while growing-up) – a taste that is fast disappearing.

jw5

Loyal

1650630440129.png

Issan Thai Food
#02-13
Opening Hours: 11:30am – 3pm, 5:30pm – 8pm (Mon – Sat), Closed Sun)

Where you go for cheap, tasty Thai food within the CBD. Some of its popular offerings include Tom Yam Soup with Rice ($5.50), Phad Thai ($4.50), Thai Basil Rice ($5.00), Thai Fried Rice ($4.50), Green Curry with Rice ($5.50), Tang Hoon Salad ($5.00) and Mango Salad ($4.50).

While the taste may not be the most authentic-authentic around (probably tamed down on the spice levels to suit the office workers), it’s worth a visit if you have Thai-food cravings. Plus, they were recently recommended by the Michelin Guide (with a Michelin Plate). Issan Thai Food (Tanjong Pagar Food Centre)

jw5

Loyal

1650719758696.png

Soon Heng Food Delights
#02-19
Opening Hours: 9:00am – 2.30pm (Mon – Fri, Sun), Closed Sat

Lor Mee With Generous Toppings

Recommend by City Beat (who remembers this programme!), the basic $3 Lor Mee ($3) portion already comes with a good amount of toppings, although those with a larger appetites may want to go for the $4 or $5 portions.

Unlike many other Lor Mee stalls, the version here comes with many non-traditional toppings such as fried fish pieces and fried dumpling skin.

The gravy is thick, gooey, and slightly on the salty side.

jw5

Loyal

1650724415469.png

Ming Kee Cooked Food
#02-24
Opening Hours: 11am – 7pm (Mon – Fri), 11am – 2pm (Sat), Closed Sun

Cai Png Stall Popular For Chicken Cutlet

Ming Kee Cooked Food has one of the longest queue during lunch time, but they can clear the line fast.

Unlike other cai png stalls where the dishes are cooked at one go at the start of the day, this stall chooses to cook their food in small batches and often replenishes the trays, keeping the food moderately free.

Some of the most-chosen items include the Fried Chicken Cutlet and Fried Fish.

jw5

Loyal

1650816963821.png

Teochew Satay Bee Hoon
#02-47
Opening Hours: 9.30am – 3:00pm Daily

Homemade Satay sauce Cooked With Over 20 Ingredients

An elderly couple were manning the stall when I visited, though it had slightly less traffic as it was at a less visible side of the food centre.

The Satay Bee Hoon ($3) came with the typical toppings including cuttlefish, pork liver and cockles, and the portions were generally quite generous.

The satay sauce is said to be cooked with over 20 ingredients, I liked that nutty flavour without being too sweet or spicy.

jw5

Loyal

1650895481857.png

Lucky Wanton Noodle
#02-32
Opening Hours: 11:30am-2:30pm, 5:30pm-10pm (Mon-Fri), 11:30am – 10pm (Sat-Sun)

Springy Wanton Noodle With Spicy Sauce

There are times I like this version, while other times not so much when the noodles seemed overcooked. However, this wanton noodles stall is always getting a considerably long line.

Other than Wanton Noodles ($3.00), the stall also serves up Dumpling Noodles ($3.00), Chicken Feet Noodles ($3.00) and Wanton Soup ($3.00).

The noodles are considered springy, topped with char siew with wanton served in soup.

I would say the base sauce is between Singapore and Malaysia style, with the use of dark sauce and spicy chilli sauce.

jw5

Loyal

1650900900684.png

Pandan Leaf Nasi Lemak
#02-25
Opening Hours: 6.30am to 1pm daily. Closed on Sundays.

Generous Portion, Fragrant Rice

There are at least 3 Nasi Lemak stalls around. This stall sells theirs at only $3 with so many ingredients from a plump fried chicken drumstick, egg, ngor hiang, fishcake and dollop of sambal chilli.

My favourite parts are the crispy chicken with quite juicy meat, and the fragrant light-green pandan rice.

jw5

Loyal

1650989088608.png

Blue Star Fishball Minced Meat Noodle
#02-29

The fishball and minced meat noodles come with a generous serving of ingredients

This was my surprise find, as I originally didn’t have intention to have this, but joined in the queue anyway.

Some of the signatures include the Mushroom Minced Meat Moodle, Fishball Noodles, and Fish Dumplings Noodles, available in dry or soup versions, at $3.00 or $3.50.

The mee kia I had was well tossed in a savoury-spicy sauce, with an al dente bite.

There is also the option to get extra Minced Meat Fishballs which are more bouncy and juicy.

jw5

Loyal

1651064781063.png

Peter Fried Kway Teow Mee
#02-05
Opening Hours: 11:00am – 7.30pm (Mon – Fri), 11am – 4.30pm (Sat). Closed Sun.

Char Kway Teow Fried With Special Soup

Said to be fried with some special soup, this stall has been around since 1969. It serves up two types of kway teow – Traditional Teochew Black Sweet Sauce Kway Teow ($3, $4), or Penang Style Fried Kway Teow ($4, $5).

I was not given the option though. The stall owner just asked, ”You want how much?”

I didn’t have intention to finish the plate at first (#caloriewatch) but finished all in the end.

There was strong wok hei, and the rice noodles were surprisingly not overly greasy.

jw5

Loyal

1651071406379.png

Kueh Ho Jiak
#02-20
Opening Hours: 7am – 3:00pm (Mon – Sat), Closed Sun

Multi-Coloured Ang Ku Kueh

Newest kid in the block, and I was immediately attracted to the Ang Ku Kueh with multi-coloured (primarily purple) skin.

The purple colour on the skin is said to come from sweet potato, with no added food colourings.

The Ang Ku Kueh (from $1.20) come in more traditional flavours such as mung bean, red bean and yam, to more wacky ones ($1.60) from durian, jackfruit to a hae bi hiam (spicy shrimp) which I really liked.

Both pretty and delicious.

jw5

Loyal
What To Dabao From Serangoon Garden Food Centre

1651671095498.png

1651671111293.png

Seng Kee Bak Chor Mee
49A Serangoon Garden Way, #01-36 Serangoon Garden Food Centre, Singapore 555945
Tel: +65 8439 0434
Opening Hours: 7:30am – 1:30pm (Tue – Sat), Closed Sun, Mon

When you’re in Serangoon Gardens, make a detour and head to Seng Kee and try their Bak Chor Mee. A long-time hawker stall, it’s been running over 36 years and operated by owner Mr. Lee and daughter Melody.

What’s special about Seng Kee’s version of BCM are the sliced mushrooms that come with it – braised for at least 4 hours for full flavour.

The noodles, cooked to the right texture, are tossed in a thick mushroom sauce and some chillies.

The pork-based soup is cloudy with a good chance of rain of umami flavours. They boil pork bones for hours and add dried sole (ti poh) for extra flavour.

If it has been a while you last visited them, they’re now in Stall #36.

Order the $10 Fish Maw Mee bowl which includes slices of pork liver, minced pork and braised mushrooms. Mr. Lee himself assures you he uses premium quality fish maw in his BCM.

Mr Lee is quite famous for his antic of tossing his bowl up into the air whenever he prepares BCM. Look out for it.

jw5

Loyal

1651679237604.png

1651679247494.png

Garden Street Kway Chap 呀侖街粿汁
49A Serangoon Garden Way, #01-21 Serangoon Garden Food Centre, Singapore 555945
Opening Hours: 9am – 3pm (Wed – Sun), Closed Mon, Tues

Garden Street Kway Chap is known for its diners lining up to buy their highly rated rice noodle sheets and braised meats.

Founded in the 1940s by the late Mr. Koh, it has been run by grandson Jason since 2005. Jason prepares, cuts, and arranges his food meticulously, so do be prepared to wait.

Their Kway Chap has a noticeably lighter flavour compared to other stalls. The boiled flat rice sheets are delicately smooth, silky and not unpleasantly too thick.

The brown soup base, made with from a home recipe of 15 ingredients, is boiled for at least 2 hours to develop its robust, herbal taste.

To complete your Kway Chap, add a platter of their meticulously cut meats – pork belly, pig trotter, pig intestine, pig stomach, pork skin, and lean meat.

Though lean, they are not dry but still tender and well braised. Intestines are prepared well and cooked properly, leaving out the unappealing stench and retaining a springy texture.

jw5

Loyal

1651760463530.png

1651760474908.png

Ah Seng Braised Duck Rice
49A Serangoon Garden Way, #01-44 Serangoon Garden Food Centre, Singapore 555945
Tel: +65 9667 4860
Opening Hours: 11am – 8pm (Mon – Fri), 11am – 4pm (Sat), Closed Sun

Ah Seng is one of those stalls I did not have much ‘luck’ with – always closed when I visited (5 times at least), but I was 6th time lucky.

The fan favourite at Serangoon Garden is known for its tender and succulent Braised Duck Rice.

You can tell a stall is doing it right when the queues are snaking long throughout the day, and customers are willing to wait even in rush hours.

The regular portion of Duck Rice at $3.50 is quite quite its priced, while you can top up with other ingredients such as braised pork, pig head meat, pig tongue, pig ear, braised egg, tau pok and cabbage.

What people like would be the nostalgic Teochew flavours of tender duck pieces, paired well with the white rice drizzled with braising sauce.

The soup was tasty, light with herbal aroma.

jw5

Loyal

1651848719477.png

1651848730481.png

Soup Huat Pig’s Organ Soup
49A Serangoon Garden Way, #01-42 Serangoon Garden Food Centre, Singapore 555945
Opening Hours: 9:30am – 4pm (Tues – Sun), Closed Mon

Soon Huat is the other long queued stall at Serangoon Garden, and there is good reason for it.

The signature is the Pig’s Organ Soup priced at $4, $5, $6 but you can top up with trotters, pork belly and braised egg.

What I enjoyed was that the soup didn’t have the usual overwhelming peppery taste, but instead filled with the tangy pickled vegetable flavours aka kiam chye which just whets the appetite.

When you have it hot, you just want to have spoonful after spoonful of the robust broth.

The pork slices and offal were generally clean-tasting and fresh, very shiok with a slight dip of the chilli.

jw5

Loyal

1651937275728.png

1651937285649.png

Aliff Nasi Lemak
49A Serangoon Garden Way, #01-27, Singapore 555945
Opening Hours: 8am – 5pm (Tues – Sun), Closed Mon

Surround yourself in the aroma of fragrant Basmati rice and that tasty sambal chilli.

Nasi Lemak is a delicious traditional hawker treat, and it makes for a hearty and wholesome breakfast to start your day with.

There are a variety of serving sizes of Nasi Lemak (starting from $3.60 to $5.00) that are loaded with ingredients.

You can top up with chicken wing, fish, ikan bills, otah, fish cake, tahu, bagedel, egg, and tempeh, from $0.50 to $1.50.

While I wasn’t that sure of the ingredients as some were on the colder wing, the thing that stands out the most about their dish is the quality and taste of the basmati rice.

It was extremely fragrant, and soft consistency cooked with coconut milk.

The other stand-out part was the sweet-tasting chilli, though you may not be able to request for more.